Sign in to follow this  
Hessle

Server Overload

Hello all, been experiencing a popup that states server is overloaded and plane behaviour is erratic, unsure why this is coming up as I presume it is CPU bound... as described by the below picture you can see I have plenty of room. Can anyone explain why I am experiencing this? Or is it simply horrific CPU utilization for the AI aircraft?

Server_Load.jpg

Posted (edited)

Please explain the Tick Rate, I do not understand how this cannot be HW related? Google let me down when looking for clarification.

Edited text:

Tick rate

Tick rate is the frequency with which the server updates the game state. This is measured in Hertz. When a server has a tick rate of 64, it means that it is capable of sending packets to clients at most 64 times per second. These packets contain updates to the game state, including things like player and object locations. The length of a tick is just its duration in milliseconds. For example, 64 tick would be 15.6ms, 20 tick would be 50ms, 10 tick 100ms, etc.

Ok, so its server packets... this seems like an odd limitation for servers in IL2, unless I am missing something it seems like something that could be changed.

Edited by ANON6_Hessle

It's not "rate" it's "Tick delay". Tick delay is the time required for one processing cycle of the simulation. The maximum processing value must be less than or equal to 20 milliseconds (20ms). If the value is greater than 20ms, the simulation slow-down becomes noticeable.

• Upvote 1

Thankyou for the clarification, Tick Delay makes more sense. So the only way to fix it is by reducing aircraft numbers in the mission so the server has less work to do, lowering the tick delay as it has less to process second by second? Upgrading my HW is not going to change a damn thing?

We should rename this sim to "IL2 Minor skirmishes" So much for having immersive simulations of large scale aerial battles using AI, the example mission only has 14 aircraft per side.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, ANON6_Hessle said:

Upgrading my HW is not going to change a damn thing?

The higher single core performance CPU you have, the better it runs. Don't look at the hardware monitor, it won't consume all it can :)

Edited by LLv34_Temuri
  • Upvote 1

Ok, maybe time to go look at a serious CPU upgrade...

Until that time I may have to demote a squad mate to Host, pretty sure we can test an i5 8th gen.

Thanks for all the replies, most helpful.

Posted (edited)

Hessle Dserver uses only one thread (dont need a 6-8th gen) and its only matter the CPU-s clock freq. Btw if its everything runs fine just dont worry about the message.

Edited by -[HRAF]Arrow19

Thanks Arrow, I understand though this is probably the best cpu we have to test it on, we have i5 3770, my i7 4770 and another with an i5 8 series... We are limited atm by hosting within the game menus, are we likely to gain better performance by using Dserver?