Beebop

Frustration and Disappointment

I hope this is in the right place.  If not move or delete it.

Background:
Previously I have spent 18 years flying IL-2 Forgotten Battles/1946 and now am moving to what appears to be it's successor.
I'm just learning the game and trying to improve my skills.
What I have:

Non Steam version of the game.

Modules:
BoS
BoM
BoK

(all Standard Editions)
plus
P-40E
Po-2
Ju-52
Spitfire Vb

Here's the problem: 

I found this great strafing tutorial on YouTube:

The description includes the mission file for practicing in game.
I went to the link and d/l'ed all nine files and, as there were no installation instructions) placed them in data > Missions.  I started the game, saw the file name, clicked it then clicked 'Start'.  The screen went blank for a second the returned to the mission menu.  Mission didn't load at all.
A friend said "they need to be in a folder".  I made a folder, named it, placed the nine files inside it and placed the folder in data > Missions.  I deleted the free standing files in missions so there would be no possible conflict.
Again I started the game, selected the folder name but, as like with other missions, no mission appeared in a dropdown box.  Hit 'Start' anyway and same result as before.
Thinking that my mods might be a problem I turned them off and re-tried both of the above with the same results, no mission start.

I read through the forums and found a post about re-saving missions.  I have read that various updates have broken missions but re-saving them usually brought them back.  Thinking that this was almost certainly made before the latest update I opened the Mission Editor (a real beast to me even though I am a prolific mission builder in 1946), and following the post instructions click Tools and selected Resave All Missions in Folder.  I clicked that and navigated to my downloaded training mission folder and click OK.
I fixed and ate my breakfast (it takes a l o n g time for the ME to do it's thing) and reopened the game.  Now when I clicked on the mission folder game in 'Missions' I got the dropdown box with the mission name.  I clicked it and got in the preview/briefing pane "no information" which didn't surprise me but...again a no start.

On a side note I downloaded the Night Witches mission and installed it as per instruction.  I clicked the "Night Witches", got the dropdown box with the mission name "By Fire and Canvas" along with a detailed mission brief but again, no mission start.  (I have not tried "re-saving" this mission).

Another side note, I downloaded the 'Easy Mission Builder' and made several missions using that and they also show up in 'Missions' and they do play just fine.

So, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

a question? if you have converted the mission, you need to convert your missions with the mission editor tools "Convert Missions to Binary in Foder", it takes a while, but then your problem had to be solved

namhee2, sorry to report that didn't work.  No mission dropped down from the folder name and when I clicked anyway it said "Select mission".

Thanks anyway.

look here, after the 10 June Update 3.010 the mission must be converted,

everything is just a matter of patience

1 hour ago, Beebop said:

The description includes the mission file for practicing in game.
I went to the link and d/l'ed all nine files and, as there were no installation instructions) placed them in data > Missions.  I started the game, saw the file name, clicked it then clicked 'Start'.  The screen went blank for a second the returned to the mission menu.  Mission didn't load at all.
A friend said "they need to be in a folder".  I made a folder, named it, placed the nine files inside it and placed the folder in data > Missions.  I deleted the free standing files in missions so there would be no possible conflict.
Again I started the game, selected the folder name but, as like with other missions, no mission appeared in a dropdown box.  Hit 'Start' anyway and same result as before.
Thinking that my mods might be a problem I turned them off and re-tried both of the above with the same results, no mission start.

I read through the forums and found a post about re-saving missions.  I have read that various updates have broken missions but re-saving them usually brought them back.  Thinking that this was almost certainly made before the latest update I opened the Mission Editor (a real beast to me even though I am a prolific mission builder in 1946), and following the post instructions click Tools and selected Resave All Missions in Folder.  I clicked that and navigated to my downloaded training mission folder and click OK.
I fixed and ate my breakfast (it takes a l o n g time for the ME to do it's thing) and reopened the game.  Now when I clicked on the mission folder game in 'Missions' I got the dropdown box with the mission name.  I clicked it and got in the preview/briefing pane "no information" which didn't surprise me but...again a no start.

So when you selected the mission, the right side of the screen showed "IL-2 1943 Ground Attack" and a "Start" button on the lower right, correct? Then when you clicked the Start button, what happened? Did the screen go blank for a second and then you returned to the mission menu?

I am being patient.  What makes you think differently?

OK, step by step, here's what I did.

1. Open the Mission Editor from bin > editor >  STEditor.exe
2. Click Tools > Convert Missions in binary in Folder
3. In dropdown box navigate to Drive > Game Folder > data > Missions > Mission Folder Name, highlight it
4. Click OK button
5. Wait.  Wait some more.  Wait even more until dropdown menu closes.
6.  Close ME
7. Start game
8. Choose 'Offline'
9. Click "Missions"
10. Click mission folder name mission is saved in
11. No dropdown appears with mission name.  If I click 'Start' a dialog box appears "Warning! Select mission".

Did I miss a step in converting the mission?

1 minute ago, JimTM said:

So when you selected the mission, the right side of the screen showed "IL-2 1943 Ground Attack" and a "Start" button on the lower right, correct? Then when you clicked the Start button, what happened? Did the screen go blank for a second and then you returned to the mission menu?

Yes.  There was no "briefing".  It said "No info"

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Beebop said:

Yes.  There was no "briefing".  It said "No info"

But did you see a "Start" button and what happened when you clicked it?

My version says "My Description" in the briefing rather than "No info". Not sure what's going on there.

Edited by JimTM

Posted (edited)

Here is the updated mission version

You didn't kill '.msnbn file.  Wellcome.

Edited by samson
relink broken one

samson, thank you. 👍 The mission now works perfectly.

Now, there is also a Skip Bombing training mission for the A-20 plus the Night Witches mission "By Fire and Canvas", neither of which work although I do get a detailed briefing for the Night Witches mission.

Can someone p l e a s e explain how to resave/convert these missions or point me to a link or post so I'm not always dragging my hat in hand asking how to get downloaded missions to work.  I don't always want to be crying "help me!"  I want to say "how can I help you?"

(**holding sign by freeway entrance** will work for brains)

Just looked at the "spoiler".  I'll try that.

3 hours ago, Beebop said:

I made a folder, named it, placed the nine files inside it and placed the folder in data > Missions

Don't do this Beebop.  Delete this folder.

Redownload the missions and put them in the Missions folder again.

Now fire up the ME, click on Tools and select Resave All Missions in Folder.  Select the Missions folder and resave it.  Do not select any missions within the missions folder.

Have a coffee, mow the lawn, etc.  whilst the ME does it's thing and - fingers crossed - missions should work:)

Posted (edited)

good morning, The fastest way to do this is as follows. First delete the * .msnbin file then open the * .mission file with your editor and save it again it's already compiled If you want to use the resave what I do is generate a subfolder where I keep the missions that I want to recompile. to make it faster

Edited by ECV56_Moro

Let me add Confused to the thread title.  LOL

OK, DD_Arthur, I only selected the Folder "IL-2 1943 Ground Attack".  The ME did not allow me to go inside the folder and choose missions.  For instance I checked Juri's missions which are all in one folder and I could not select missions there either.  (btw they all work even though I d/l'ed them before the 3101 update.)

In my current Missions folder is where the Easy mission Generator saves it's missions, al of which work.  If I ust put the non-working files in there and then select 'Resave All Missions in Folder' will it mess with those too?

What I'm getting from all this so far is for any pre 3101 mission that is not working delete the .misbin file then run the RAMiF function in the ME.

Now, for the Night Witches mission....I just delete the .misbin file and then use RAMiF?  There's only one mission in that folder, "By Fire and Canvas". 

Sorry if I'm being a Jethro Tull because I'm Thick As A Brick.

ECV56_Moro, thanks.  That works.

Everything is working now.  I took the Skip Bombing mission and put it in a same named folder, deleted the .msbin file and ran the folder through RAMiF in the ME.  Mission works as intended.

Did the same with Night Witches.  Deleted the msbin file then ran the folder with the mission files in it through RAMiF in the ME.  I can now (try to) fly in the night skies if I can ever figure out where the end of the runway is. 😁

Thanks everyone for your help, ideas and especially your patience with me.  I am now smarter than I was and I am in your debt for that.  Now I am in a position to help others with a similar issue.  

🥇's all around! 

35 minutes ago, 307_Tomcat said:

To late , but after resaving delete old msbin.

???  What old msbin?  I deleted it before running RAMiF and a new one, that works with the current update, was apparently generated.  All missions run fine now.

Where would I find the old msbin?

Ok if it is working now. You can update mission txt format but binary (msbin) format could be old and the game start to load in first place the binary mission format if it finds it and fail at that .

I didn't realize there was so many people downloading my missions. I really should update them! Sorry you had so many issues @Beebop. Let me know what you think of the mission.

Posted (edited)

I love it!  And the Skip Bombing mission too.  (That is yours right?)

And no need to apologize.  As a result of having to "update" them I learned something valuable about how Great Battles works.  It's all good.

What I like about the 1943 IL-2 mission is I can choose different loadouts, (guns, bombs, rockets, combos) so I can practice my ground attack skills with different ordinance and use of the VV1 sight effectively. 

The target is close so I can spend more time setting up the strike and executing it. 

The skip bombing mission has been helpful too and for the same reasons, close to target and, within the limits of the A-20, various ordinance.  Many of the lessons learned can be transferred to other ground attack missions as well. 

Plus both are fun to fly.

Question, is it possible to make a "Dogfight" version where more planes can be chosen?

I'd make something like that but at this time I find the ME a bit too intimidating.  Coming from 1946 the difference between the two is like having two people you know, one from Planet Earth (1946) and one from an alien world.

Thanks again for these helpful missions.  (am now a subscriber to your channel too).

Edited by Beebop

Group hug, everyone! (Actually, seriously, this is what I love about the ME forum - loads of patience and problem-solving smarts!)

Beebop - it seems to me you're ready to take the next step: building a few missions yourself! 😎 The path is long and hard, and not all who start are worthy, but for those happy few... etc, etc...!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This is probably the mission you're looking for @Beebop:

You can get the mission here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1T9G4MieVZiZA8--DKxiz-ClDT51rBIW8

The mission should be placed in the dogfight folder (not the missions folder). Like so:

C:\~\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles\data\Multiplayer\Dogfight\

KskkRSS.png

To launch the mission, in the game...

1. You go to multiplayer
  2. click dogfight
  3. click create server
  4. add the mission to the list
  5. (optional) adjust any of the multiplayer settings as you see fit
  6. click "launch" to start the server
  7. (optional) others can join you if you want!
  8. ????
  9. PROFIT!

And the link describing the mission can be found here: 

It has all the training requirements anyone needs, including:

• dogfight practice against a randomly chosen ai for both sides
  • gunnery training against a straight flying non-aggressive target
  • bombing practice against randomly chosen tanks
  • bombing practice against randomly moving ships (probably the hardest booth of them all)

The best part? You don't have to update the mission, as I've already done that for this mission! Good luck, happy hunting! Let me know if you have questions, and how you enjoyed the mission. 

Edited by [TWB]Sketch
Grammar

Thanks No601_Swallow for your vote of confidence.

So as far as mission making, there are several video tutorials and manuals, I have them all but all seem so "technical" if you know what I mean.

If I'm going to get into mission building which video set/manuals are going to be the most "intuitive" to understand?  So far there's no "Mission Building For Dummies" LOL.

I guess what I'm asking is what manual/video would be the easiest for a total noob to understand and be successful with.

Just now, Beebop said:

Thanks No601_Swallow for your vote of confidence.

So as far as mission making, there are several video tutorials and manuals, I have them all but all seem so "technical" if you know what I mean.

If I'm going to get into mission building which video set/manuals are going to be the most "intuitive" to understand?  So far there's no "Mission Building For Dummies" LOL.

I guess what I'm asking is what manual/video would be the easiest for a total noob to understand and be successful with.

Probably @[Pb]Vapor's video tutorials are the best to start with:

I also recommend the unofficial mission editor guide by @JimTM:

And if you get stuck, we can help here on these forums.

THANKS Sketch!  Adventure Park looks like what I was looking for and having some guidance on which of the manuals and video tutorials will make it easier for me to stick with just one set of instructions until I get a better hang of it.

And I bet I'll be asking questions too LOL.

😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm still new to the ME and it can be quite daunting at times. Just hang in there and keep plugging away. Also, you can load any mission you have into the ME to take a look and see how some things are done. I found both JimTM's and Prangster's manuals to be indispensable. If all else fails, just ask here in the forum. I am forever grateful to the support and guidance I have received here.

Thanks for the encouragement Gramps.