best regards and fast recovery to the Team member, that is most important!!!!

Pacific is still a Dream, i hope to come true ….

2 hours ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

From Jason post i've got a feeling that PTO isn't next 😢😭.

I guess we'll find out in a month or two!

i read to it to just dont expect imposible ones like okinawa, or less known ones, Midway is still easy one when you look at PTO and not unknown airplanes you get there.

1 hour ago, [ASOR]Pharoah said:

I'll be honest, I'm a massive fan of DCS for modern a/c but nothing comes close to IL2 for WW2!

One thing that would REALLY make things better would be to develop/release maps of the different theatres and let US make it happen online!

Yes, making just maps of aeas where you can use existing airplanes, so you can sell map and SP campaign for them, would be nice thing to have in this game for SP and MP.

And just keep it like its now in BoX, if you dont have map you can still play on it online if airplanes you have are available in mission using that map, if only 5% are MP, loss would not be big on most of them not buying new maps if they dont have to. I dont like how DCS handle maps in MP, here its better.

Edited by 77.CountZero

Being in software engineering myself I can testify that if one of the team members responsible 

for key elements of development is in lost (hopefully only tempôrary) that this is poses incredible problem to get solved.

I hope this Dev recovers very soon and also that Jason can perform miracles to find a proper solution until this happens !

What I read into the other information Jason issued is what I thought all along... (PTO?) wishes may not be fullfilled ... yet.

That we need an new game-engine (in due time) is also very logical ... e.g. DCS World has also been overhauled 3 times ... each time for the better !

Personally I think this IL-2 engine is still more than OK, but of course Jason will know of (more sincere) limitations to its (future) capabilities.

I wish the whole IL-2 team the very best ... as we all do I'm sure !

Regards,

Stefaan 

Edited by simfan2015

21 hours ago, Redwo1f said:

Enjoy what we have, look forward to Bottenplatte - and rejoice that we have a developer willing to make a combat flight simulator (and doing a pretty decent job of it overall). :)

I think so, too.

I for one am pretty sure that whatever the devs will come up next with, it'll be exciting.

Really sorry to hear about the accident. All the best for the team member. May he have a speedy and uncomplicated recovery.

• Like 1

Wherever we're going to be deployed next time, I'm sure it will be another outstanding experience. 

And best wishes to the teammember. Get well soon! 

Edited by Blooddawn1942

Improving viewing distance for planes and ships it's a clear announcement  of what's coming next.  Murmansk artic convoys campaign with long range shipping strike missions and torpedoes. 

Edited by 6./ZG26_Gielow
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Guys,

I love ALL aspects and theaters of WWII. I would love to do them ALL assuming it was possible. My job is to create an achievable, marketable and compelling product that most current and new users would be interested in buying. I've diversified our product line a bit with FC1 and TC because as we keep moving forward, tough decisions on what or what not to build will become harder to swallow if your favorite theater isn't built. Deciding what to build is not easy. And deciding to not make something is even tougher because  you know someone will be disappointed.  A lot of planes are impossible to make flyable simply because we don't have the references or data to make them accurate or even close to accurate. I think the general public underestimates how hard it is to make a plane to our standards, and our standards, well visual standards at least, are not even as extreme as some other products are. Our other standards are quite high and some of the highest ever in a sim so don't take that the wrong way. And some maps are almost impossible to make too due to distances or just general lack of playability or lack of info. 

I have a plan for our next product and if we execute it as I hope, I think it will pretty awesome. The current dev. cycle stretched our ability to the max. and we have endured many unforeseen delays and issues out of our control. It's not been easy. I hope the next round is easier. One of our team members recently was in a bad car accident, and now he has a hematoma on his brain causing us to scramble for the next update. Very scary.

Eventually we will need to build a new engine, when that actually happens is not necessarily known yet. I don't believe in building from complete scratch these days. The biggest work would be in the area of visuals and terrain of course and graphics in general. That part may be from scratch. Everything else would be an evolution of sorts. That is the safest bet for us to stay alive for a long time.

Jason 

Thank you Jason for this informative post. I hope your team member recovers with ease, and that he gets some no-doubt much needed rest.

That being said, I for one am looking forward to hear whatever you have planned.... and in the meantime we will no doubt still speculate on what comes next. Not because we want to impose our hopes and wishes on the team, but merely because it's fun to dream :). Whatever form the next module DOES take, I'm sure we will enjoy it and look forward to it just like we do BoBP.

Thanks.

All the best to your team member...... puts everything into perspective!

It doesn't matter what's next as long as it depicts the Papua & New Guinea Campaign 1942/43... ;)

At the risk of repeating myself, the Papua & New Guinea Campaign 1942/43 is THE sweet spot in the Asiatic-Pacific Theatre. It fits Jason's bill just right. On top of that, it is the most diverse and versatile scenario - perfect to start off the Asiatic-Pacific Theatre.  

A coherent second instalment focused on the Battle of the Coral Sea and limited to six aircraft could then introduce a proper simulation of the naval part.

I believe in the Developer Team and I'm interested in all aspects of the Asiatic-Pacific Theatre, but I don't believe in Midway and Okinawa for a multitude of reasons.

Based on my own research, I remain convinced that the Papua & New Guinea Campaign 1942/43 is doable and the perfect stepping stone.

Edited by =27=Davesteu
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Guys,

I love ALL aspects and theaters of WWII. I would love to do them ALL assuming it was possible. My job is to create an achievable, marketable and compelling product that most current and new users would be interested in buying. I've diversified our product line a bit with FC1 and TC because as we keep moving forward, tough decisions on what or what not to build will become harder to swallow if your favorite theater isn't built. Deciding what to build is not easy. And deciding to not make something is even tougher because  you know someone will be disappointed.  A lot of planes are impossible to make flyable simply because we don't have the references or data to make them accurate or even close to accurate. I think the general public underestimates how hard it is to make a plane to our standards, and our standards, well visual standards at least, are not even as extreme as some other products are. Our other standards are quite high and some of the highest ever in a sim so don't take that the wrong way. And some maps are almost impossible to make too due to distances or just general lack of playability or lack of info. 

I have a plan for our next product and if we execute it as I hope, I think it will pretty awesome. The current dev. cycle stretched our ability to the max. and we have endured many unforeseen delays and issues out of our control. It's not been easy. I hope the next round is easier. One of our team members recently was in a bad car accident, and now he has a hematoma on his brain causing us to scramble for the next update. Very scary.

Eventually we will need to build a new engine, when that actually happens is not necessarily known yet. I don't believe in building from complete scratch these days. The biggest work would be in the area of visuals and terrain of course and graphics in general. That part may be from scratch. Everything else would be an evolution of sorts. That is the safest bet for us to stay alive for a long time.

Jason 

Best wishes to your team member, I hope they pull through OK!

18 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Eventually we will need to build a new engine,

This is commitment!

I really no longer have a demand on what next. 

Finally.

I believed firmly I understood what was best for this sim. But I have come to the conclusion i don't know shit. 

But I do know improving the concept is the most valuable thing happening regardless of what coming

Best wishes for your developer Jason. 

2 hours ago, =27=Davesteu said:

It doesn't matter what's next as long as it depicts the Papua & New Guinea Campaign 1942/43... ;)

At the risk of repeating myself, the Papua & New Guinea Campaign 1942/43 is THE sweet spot

My books are mostly dealing with Guadalcanal/Solomons. Shattered Sword and a few others excepting.

What would you say based on your reading are the best books dealing with New Guinea?

Bergerud

It’s excellent but not just about New Guinea

It's about the air war in general in the South Pacific.

One of my favorite books.

Edited by Gambit21
  • Like 1

I’m looking for in-depth reading on the air campaign in New Guinea. 

@Bremspropeller, have you read Guadalcanal by Frank?

For campaign prep work I’m sticking with Midway until I hear differently.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip, Gam!

I have to say, my PTO-library is rather small, but steadily and modestly growing!

BTW: Lawrence Hickey has written on facebook, that "Ken's Men vol 2" is going to be ready very soon!

https://irandpcorp.com/current-projects-2/

I do have the first four "Eagles over the Pacific" volumes. Great stuff!

Currently looking for a way to obtain "Eagles of the Southern Sky" at an affordable rate...

My main wishes for any new game engine would be:

• Heavy bombers
  • More stuff on screen at once. Not new items or new planes or anything like that. Just more of what we already have. Hundreds of targets instead of the couple dozen we get now.

I also am hoping hard the Magz is right and we get Sicily next 😍 Mussolini has been asking for it.

Okay, here's four reasons for New Guinea:

- it hasn't been done before in beauty -  and there's lotsa!

- Ki 61

- early (F through H) Lightnings with the sexier chins

- B-25s with strafer noses (all kinds of strafer noses)

429443ccc7d8d614db0de81f88c1485d.jpg

While i am not really into Pacific, something like Guadalcanal, Burma, New Guinea feels much more interesting and unique than Midway.

Were carriers used much in the Sicily campaign? Could be a way to pave the way forward for PTO?

5 hours ago, =27=Davesteu said:

At the risk of repeating myself, the Papua & New Guinea Campaign 1942/43 is THE sweet spot in the Asiatic-Pacific Theatre. It fits Jason's bill just right. On top of that, it is the most diverse and versatile scenario - perfect to start off the Asiatic-Pacific Theatre.  

A coherent second instalment focused on the Battle of the Coral Sea and limited to six aircraft could then introduce a proper simulation of the naval part.

I believe in the Developer Team and I'm interested in all aspects of the Asiatic-Pacific Theatre, but I don't believe in Midway and Okinawa for a multitude of reasons.

Based on my own research, I remain convinced that the Papua & New Guinea Campaign 1942/43 is doable and the perfect stepping stone.

Agree with this completely. Good thing about New Guinea is that we could use many of the aircraft from other pacific expansions from 42-44/45.

P-40, P-47, P-38, B-25, A-20, PBY Catalina, etc etc.

The New Guinea campaign lasted to nearly the end of the war (ground wise at least) so there is lots of scenarios we could make including many fantasy/what if scenarios.

Not sure how big the maps can potentially be but the Solomons and Coral Sea are relatively close by so New Guinea could act as a stepping stone for those potential expansions.

Personally I still want Midway as an expansion but maybe the Coral Sea and Midway could be bundled into one expansion since many of the same aircraft types participated in the battles.

• Like 1

I'll even be happy with a generic island map at some point that serves as a "faux Solomons"

Japanese in one corner, Allies in the other. We need that island dynamic.

• Upvote 1

The problem with the Solomons (and most of the PTO) is flight time per mission. In Europe you have for most missions about an hour to an hour and a half, whereas in the Solomons, for the USAAF you have often like 4 hours and for the Japanese you have 7 hour round trips. Talk about playability for a game. If you make the maps smaller, then suddenly everything (and the carriers) are within shooting range of the battleships...

4 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

The problem with the Solomons (and most of the PTO) is flight time per mission. In Europe you have for most missions about an hour to an hour and a half, whereas in the Solomons, for the USAAF you have often like 4 hours and for the Japanese you have 7 hour round trips. Talk about playability for a game. If you make the maps smaller, then suddenly everything (and the carriers) are within shooting range of the battleships...

Battleships guns only have around 20-30 mile range (32-48km) so I don't really see this as an issue, (they could also be shortened for gameplay purposes.)

As far as flight times go well, air starts, carriers, and what if scenarios are the answer imo.

Edited by Legioneod

1 minute ago, ZachariasX said:

Yep you scale things down, it's not an insurmountable problem fortunately. They built a scaled down Solomon's map for 46.

Or you just pick an area that fits...a bit more difficult. I think being a bit creative and going outside the box is the answer.

The reason why I mentioned the generic island map is because it creates the game play without needing yet a larger map.

...or if creating the Solomons is not palatable to the devs.

Even New Guinea would benefit from some subtle scaling.

Water maps solve this issue to some extent, but the historic distances can still be great.

As far as flight times, no most simmers are not going to sit and fly for that many hours, yet how often do you see "B17!!!!" on the forum?

Doubt most of those people are going to sit for 8 hours either.

...and yes Legioneod, the "what if" options especially for Midway are many, and intriguing.  :) 

I would have fun with that.

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

I'll even be happy with a generic island map at some point that serves as a "faux Solomons"

Japanese in one corner, Allies in the other. We need that island dynamic.

like in IL2 years ago, when a generic Island map with Palms (wow, they lowerd the framerates...) and a Zero and Frank were introduced into the game before the Pacific Fighter Version.

I must say Jasons post in this topic give me huge hope for this brand. Hope for good recovery on the one in accident. 

It is goid to see ambitions are as high as ever. 

I still hope I am not wrong in my believe that New Guinea and Burma can be done with current engine. If sufficient info about Japanese planes is available

Finland and North front will bring a lot of fun too. Crete , Greece Italy and Malta would be nice

extention of Europe theatre same 

21 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Yep you scale things down, it's not an insurmountable problem fortunately. They built a scaled down Solomon's map for 46.

Or you just pick an area that fits...a bit more difficult. I think being a bit creative and going outside the box is the answer.

The reason why I mentioned the generic island map is because it creates the game play without needing yet a larger map.

...or if creating the Solomons is not palatable to the devs.

Even New Guinea would benefit from some subtle scaling.

Water maps solve this issue to some extent, but the historic distances can still be great.

As far as flight times, no most simmers are not going to sit and fly for that many hours, yet how often do you see "B17!!!!" on the forum?

Doubt most of those people are going to sit for 8 hours either.

...and yes Legioneod, the "what if" options especially for Midway are many, and intriguing.  :) 

I would have fun with that.

add Pearl Harbor (+P-40B) map for SP guys in adition for main Midway DLC and you can have fun in what if Japan won at Midway then americans try to retaike it and if fail Japan invades Pearl and so on, with big distances for PTO carriers are best option you can place them as close you wont in MP, and still do historical stuff in SP.

44 minutes ago, Retrofly said:

Were carriers used much in the Sicily campaign? Could be a way to pave the way forward for PTO?

http://www.armouredcarriers.com/hms-indomitable-operation-husky

Edited by 77.CountZero

Trying to be without bias or inclinations of desires, and objective as possible, I believe Jason, while not saying where they are going next, strongly hinted at where it would NOT be (I don't think it is too much of a jump at all to make to see he was referring to the Japanese aircraft. At least that is what I took out of it, that, and it appears it is going to be WWII.

@CountZer0Yep, there are a lot of options that the basic Midway plane set yields, with just an addition here and there depending on the scenario - Solomon's included.

5 minutes ago, Redwo1f said:

Trying to be without bias or inclinations of desires, and objective as possible, I believe Jason, while not saying where they are going next, strongly hinted at where it would NOT be (I don't think it is too much of a jump at all to make to see he was referring to the Japanese aircraft. At least that is what I took out of it, that, and it appears it is going to be WWII.

I think your're reading too much into his statement, and need to pay a bit more attention to what's already been stated before, not to mention the active sub-forum that still exists on this very site. 

That's my objective take without bias or inclination of desires.

Edited by Gambit21
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

From Jason post i've got a feeling that PTO isn't next 😢😭.

Same here... :(

So I read from his statement that the decision about what will come has been made. So we look forward to having a plan in place.
And even if it sounds negative, what Jason said has always been the whole point of whether something is feasible or not.
Personally, I would still love to see the Pacific. But I am just as happy when it goes to Italy or Normandy. Korea would also be interesting, if not a favourite. (To be honest, I would already love to have the possibility to fly around with a razorback P-47 and flatten trains.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 6FG_Big_Al said:

(To be honest, I would already love to have the possibility to fly around with a razorback P-47 and flatten trains.)

Don't forget a B/C Mustang....or Typhoon ... :cool:

• Like 2

Honestly a Western Europe 1943/144 set wouldn't be too bad

P-51B/C, earlier Spitfire Mk IX's, Hurricanes, Typhoons, Mosquitos...

40 minutes ago, 357th_Dog said:

Honestly a Western Europe 1943/144 set wouldn't be too bad

P-51B/C, earlier Spitfire Mk IX's, Hurricanes, Typhoons, Mosquitos...

Wasn't the Hurricane pretty much retired by 1943, on the service of the RAF in western europe at least?

One reason why I feel so strongly about New Guinea is it's importance to the Japanese, and the huge resource losses they suffered trying to hold it.  Fully 50% of Japanese Army pilots with over 300 hours of combat experience were lost in the air campaign over New Guinea.  Let that sink in a bit.  The core of the Imperial Japanese Army Air Corps was lost in a single, long campaign.

Edited by BlitzPig_EL
  • Like 2