I hope the developers see this because I'm curious..now that Bodenplatte is nearly complete. What is on the drawing board? What can we expect next?

I'm hoping for the pacific, but I wouldn't be opposed to an Italian/British focused expansion or a Winter War/Continuation war one (Personal Bias)

There are already some threads puzzling about it 😄 Altogether there are some good and possible scenarios.All in all I think we'll either go (into the long awaited) Pacific or get another Europe scenario. Both have the same chance in my opinion.

Europe with the battle for the Normandy, for example, would have the advantage to have planes like the Razorback variants of the P-51 and P-47 built in, as well as the Typhoon or Mosquito. Although it might be a bit more difficult with the Germans, you could certainly make an interesting flying set out of it, which would overlap with Bodenplatte. It would also extend the now installed types by a few more variants.

But the Pacific is at least as tempting. There could be, as originally planned, the battle for Midway to come first. The advantage would be that many important types of the early phase would be represented on both sides (e.g. Val, Kate, Dauntless, Wildcat, Zero etc.). In addition, carrier operations would be interesting and with the new range of vision this scenario might be more suitable.  Maybe it would even be possible to release several maps with different campaigns (there were already some good suggestions in other threads).

It will not go to Africa because of TeamFusion, regardless of the fact that actually all types more or less already exist. Korea as a jet part might come in the future, but I personally don't believe that this is the case.

Bodenplatte is still months away.  I heard something about an air marshall mode.  They have also dropped unnamed collector planes.    What I am hoping for is that they finish that and do some core improvements (AI and performance) along with it.

• Upvote 8

What a novel idea for a thread - good job ofb.

• Haha 5
  • Upvote 3

I have no info but i would not be surprised if one of the as yet unannounced collector planes was a Zeke.. or a Grumman ...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm with you 100% there Bearcat.

👍

• Upvote 1

The Devs will see this - And I'm guessing around 5 months before they say anything - and they won't say a word until it's official.... 

• Sad 1

Great reminder to the devs that we’re curious about the next chapter!  I’m sure that they were not aware of this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Bodenplatte announcement was 4 months prior to Kuban's release. Like I said in another thread, they will likely announce what is next when they announce what new collector planes are being added - all in one big announcement.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Gambit21 said:

What a novel idea for a thread - good job ofb.

thank you

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Redwo1f said:

Bodenplatte announcement was 4 months prior to Kuban's release. Like I said in another thread, they will likely announce what is next when they announce what new collector planes are being added - all in one big announcement.

I think so too.  I also think that this announcement will come either with the big September update, or shortly thereafter. That would be at least my estimate that after the update both the Collectors will be announced and the future of the series.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

IMO

50% Pacific

30% Italy 1943-44

20% Europe ( maybe Normandy 44 or Berlin 45 )

Edited by ITAF_Rani

2 hours ago, Jonttu1 said:

I'm hoping for the pacific, but I wouldn't be opposed to an Italian/British focused expansion or a Winter War/Continuation war one (Personal Bias)

I'm with you, now that I have a VR headset, I'd love to see those Pacific planes, Corsair, Zeke, Bearcat, Betty, Dauntless, Avenger, Hellcat, wildcat, PBY etc etc

i mean... Gamescom is going on in Cologne for the rest of the week, so maybe this Friday we'll get a big announcement?

2 hours ago, Bearcat said:

I have no info but i would not be surprised if one of the as yet unannounced collector planes was a Zeke.. or a Grumman ...

Idk, those two sound more like "core" planes than collector planes to me. If they were to announce a Pacific installment i would expect those to come as part of the core 8 rather than the premium 2.

However i would not be upset if you are right!

Posted (edited)

Would still love a "Flying Tigers campaign" as an intro to the Pacific. Great chance to delve into Japanese planes.

Edited by nalecondra
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, onlyforbrian said:

I hope the developers see this because I'm curious..now that Bodenplatte is nearly complete. What is on the drawing board? What can we expect next?

That question has never been asked before. Fascinating...

4 minutes ago, sevenless said:

That question has never been asked before. Fascinating...

Think we are on the cusp of a really exciting break through here. Truly fascinating. :big_boss:

3 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

What I am hoping for is that they finish that and do some core improvements (AI and performance) along with it.

Exactly my thoughts. Until that is worked on as priority nr 1 I will keep my wallet closed (I am an SP career player).

I mean, I understand that new content means much needed cash stream for the dev team. However, there is a good number of threads in this forum highlighting issues that were done in a better way already in Il2 1946. It would be nice to get on par before going extensive in my opinion.

Milan

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, apollon01 said:

Exactly my thoughts. Until that is worked on as priority nr 1 I will keep my wallet closed (I am an SP career player).

I mean, I understand that new content means much needed cash stream for the dev team. However, there is a good number of threads in this forum highlighting issues that were done in a better way already in Il2 1946. It would be nice to get on par before going extensive in my opinion.

Milan

I completely understand the angst and I agree that there needs to be lots of core gameplay improvements - and I think they understand this as well (case in point the hiring of a specific programmer to now work on developing the AI). However, I don't believe it is a zero-sum game. Work can be done in some areas without necessarily adversely affecting other areas. But yes, it would be nice to know that a big chunk of emphasis is also being placed on improving core gameplay/features - and indeed it may be (stuff like this tends not to create the buzz and excitement of new additions - but have faith).

18 minutes ago, apollon01 said:

Milan

from dd-227

• Improved AI maneuvering in a dogfight. Our new programmer is working on this (the recent formation keeping improvements are his work), but remember there is still a long way to go in this area.

so you aint gona have to wait for long

• Upvote 2

pff,  you expect people to read before they complain? you must be new here 😀

5 hours ago, onlyforbrian said:

Obvious. Something only they know and won't tell us until they're certain about it.

It's times like this that I wish people would actually read the text of the Development Diary updates instead of just glancing at the screenshots.

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Bearcat said:

I really would be surprised. They'd be fish out of water with no real place to exist for now similar to the threads asking for the La-7 or Yak-3. With just 10 aircraft for Western Front, the opportunity to bring that to 12 with a couple more iconic types of theater is far too good to pass up. Especially if, as I think will happen, Bodenplatte becomes popular with the crowd that won't fly East Front but will fly Mustangs and the like. Bodenplatte is going to have some legs as a product I think.

Still want a Pacific scenario though. I'm looking forward to carrier decks in this series at some point. I know 1CGS will do them well!

6 hours ago, Asgar said:

i mean... Gamescom is going on in Cologne for the rest of the week, so maybe this Friday we'll get a big announcement?

Historically we've not seen 1CGS get involved with big trade shows or base their PR strategy around them. You may say, aha but Jason was at FS Expo. And that's true but it's positively tiny by comparison and community run rather than an industry show. I take it back. I just learned that 1C has a booth and IL-2 is there. Very cool!

5 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

Idk, those two sound more like "core" planes than collector planes to me. If they were to announce a Pacific installment i would expect those to come as part of the core 8 rather than the premium 2.

However i would not be upset if you are right!

Agreed. They are very much core aircraft and if the Pacific comes then I'd expect both would be at the top of the list. There's enough A6M variants to maybe do a bunch of them and one as a Collector but with the Wildcat there isn't much to distinguish the F4F-3 and F4F-4 (folding wings and extra MGs at the top of the list). There's the FM-2 I suppose... but again, fish out of water.

Edited by ShamrockOneFive

Fish out of water are usually pretty tasty.

Just saying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LukeFF said:

It's times like this that I wish people would actually read the text of the Development Diary updates instead of just glancing at the screenshots.

That was sorta like asking the guy who looked at the pictures in a Playboy magazine to focus on the articles. Sure there was some great reading there but really, is that why most flight simmers... err um I mean most guys, bought it?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

Fish out of water are usually pretty tasty.

Just saying.

On this I couldn't agree more! 🐟😋

Posted (edited)

Okay serious question: What real world historic scenarios would ideally suit single player missions that feature 12 versus 12 AI and around 50 ground objects?  

A few I could think of are:

•Anti-shipping strikes around Norway

•Tippy-go Jabo raids on English coast

•Night intruder missions over France

Are there any more?

Edited by Feathered_IV

7 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

Okay serious question: What real world historic scenarios would ideally suit single player missions that feature 12 versus 12 AI and around 50 ground objects?  

A few I could think of are:

•Anti-shipping strikes around Norway

•Tippy-go Jabo raids on English coast

•Night intruder missions over France

Are there any more?

North Africa is another tactical theatre. They won't do it because of Cliffs of Dover/Team Fusion's North Africa project but it's a good theatre for the kind of tactical smaller scale battles that the series does so well.

• Upvote 1

I’d forgotten about the MTO.  Nice one. 

I think Burma saw quite a few smaller scale operations.  Also some of the late war RAAF operations around bypassed Pacific islands would fit the mission size too. 

1 hour ago, Feathered_IV said:

I’d forgotten about the MTO.  Nice one. 

I think Burma saw quite a few smaller scale operations.  Also some of the late war RAAF operations around bypassed Pacific islands would fit the mission size too. 

Yep, Burma is another. That one had actual air combat although by the later parts it was Spitfire VIII's up against tired Ki-43-II Oscars. The RAAF's island actions in the later part of the war saw slim to no aerial opposition. Lots of fighting on the ground but the air assets were depleted in these areas.

Posted (edited)

We already know it’s going to be Battle of France.  Or did I dream that?

Edited by WIS-Redcoat

Hoping for either Pacific or North Africa.

I dont think it will be a new europe theater. The problem are the german planes. I tink many pilots would not spend any money to buy a 109 for the second time. We do have all 109's now and most of the important variants. You can not sell those planes again. If you offer other german planes like Fw 189 for the campaign you can not sell this as well because no one will buy this as an stand alone product. Many of you would buy everything, but many other people would not and 1C has to take that into account. The best way would be a new theater (Pacific) and new maps and collectors planes for europe theater.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JG27_Steini said:

I dont think it will be a new europe theater. The problem are the german planes. I tink many pilots would not spend any money to buy a 109 for the second time. We do have all 109's now and most of the important variants. You can not sell those planes again. If you offer other german planes like Fw 189 for the campaign you can not sell this as well because no one will buy this as an stand alone product. Many of you would buy everything, but many other people would not and 1C has to take that into account. The best way would be a new theater (Pacific) and new maps and collectors planes for europe theater.

They could change their model, include some of the existing planes (e.g. Fw190 A8, Bf109 G14) and if you own them previously you get a discount (i.e. you don't pay for those). That would get newcomers a full planeset and also result in a shorter development time.

I'm not saying it's ideal but it's not impossible to do. Just a lot of work to make sure the checkout process is accurate. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JG27_Steini said:

Why shouldn't they? They've done it at least 4 times. Or more often (with the G6). You could also bring in a late G6 or (I'm not sure) G10. Also a Fw-190 A6 or A7 would stand out enough, I think, to implement in. And even if you build in some alibi hunters, there are some other types you could use. So a Normandy or Italy scenario with Germans would certainly be feasible.

To Jade Monkey's idea. I don't know, someone had the idea to give a sort of discount. But I think that's very unlikely. Already now the Hs-129, Ju-88, Bf-109 F4, MC. 202, I-16 (the list can still be extended) in various expansions for free. So it would be now a shot in the own knee to change it.