Sign in to follow this  
taffy2jeffmorgan

Curved screen monitors and BoS

Hi All, I was checking out some rather expensive curved screen monitors recently and was wondering how they perform when BoS is played through one ?  does it display better than say a normal flat screen ?  then i suppose it all depends on your graphic card, so are there any benefits 

Cheers 

@taffy2jeffmorgan

In my opinion curved screens help with immersion, it's not a huge change but when you use 2-3 flat screens and then change to one curved, you will notice the difference. For me the main benefit is not having the edges in the places where separate screens connect to each other. Curved monitors usually use different ratio like 21:9, which in my opinion suits simulators (flying, racing) really well.

It helps when you have a very large screen - or I suppose if you sit very close!  The curvature reduces the apparent distortion resulting from the edges of the screen being further away from your eyes than the centre.  I like my current large curved TV used as a monitor: but it is not an essential feature. Other than that, being curved has no specific effects: all other quality issues are down to the display size, quality and options and your graphics card.

Have you considered a VR set for that price? The Rift S is £/€400

1 hour ago, Talon_ said:

Have you considered a VR set for that price? The Rift S is £/€400

Thanks Talon, Yes i shall give that some consideration .

I can't get past the idea that a curved screen might/will end up being irritating. Maybe it would be cool for a bit, a novelty, but then if you're watching a movie or reading stuff on the web, you're gonna want the screen to be flat and the curve will be annoying.

And I could be entirely wrong, but it is a thought.

21:9 is so nice it made me quit VR after owning two different headsets and being one of those claiming they could never fly 2d again.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JonRedcorn said:

21:9 is so nice it made me quit VR after owning two different headsets and being one of those claiming they could never fly 2d again.

Though on the other hand, I went from triple 27" monitors with headtracking to VR and would never, ever go back.

4 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

Though on the other hand, I went from triple 27" monitors with headtracking to VR and would never, ever go back.

I've had triples, dual, ultrawide and 2 VR headsets, I still use headtracking and my ultrawide. VR is awesome, there's no doubt, unfortunately only BOX and DCS support headtracking. All the other flight sims I play don't. Plus it's a major hassle and sucks with glasses.

The amount of space my triples took up was ridiculous. Was used for racing.

zuUuh85.jpg

Edited by JonRedcorn

14 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

I can't get past the idea that a curved screen might/will end up being irritating. Maybe it would be cool for a bit, a novelty, but then if you're watching a movie or reading stuff on the web, you're gonna want the screen to be flat and the curve will be annoying.

If you sit close to a large screen to use it as a monitor it looks curved - like a fish eye lens, although obviously not as bad. Your eye line to the corners is much longer than to the centre. On my old flat 65 inch TV this was quite noticeable. My current curved screen looks much flatter.

Ideally people should try before they buy: I took my tech savvy friend into the shop with BoX on a laptop, the sales chaps were quite happy to let us connect up to the TV in the shop and see what it looks like. (Awesome :) - it is better for watching movies too ) 

• Upvote 1

If all you want it for is gaming/sims then curved is great. When I was researching my monitor purchase I read that the curved screens are perfect for sims but suck if you want to do anything not gaming related specifically drafting and design which I do for poops and giggles on the side. Straight lines appear curved being the biggest drawback.

I ended up getting a 43" 4k monitor from LG which suits me just fine for wide field of view in games and nice big straight lines when designing junk I'll never build.

• Upvote 1

*looks at my basic monitor* *looks at these rigs*

My God, I really am a peasant.

• Upvote 1

I am one of those weird guys that prefers my trackir and a widescreen 21:9 monitor. I would recommend getting a higher refresh rate 2k or 4k one if possible. 

5 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

I have recently moved from a LG flat 22 inches 16:9, to a LG curved 34 inches ultrawide 21:9 (LG 34 UC99W, curvature radius 1900R)

I used to have the same thoughts as you about curved monitor, but now I´m an absolute believer. To me its the perfect solution, for gaming and work. I work with architectural CAD drawings, and I was reluctant to this change because of this, but i must tell that its totally imperceptible to the eye. Best money spent. I´m very, very happy with this buy.

For IL2 it was a huge difference for me, a joy. The first time I played in the new monitor it was like to be inside the plane, it was the nearest thing i have experineced to simulate the complete wide field of vision human eye (I have not played VR).

I dont recomend more than 34", as you'll turn your head side to side too much, like watching a tennis match live. To me curved 34" ultrawide is the perfect monitor size. Hope it helps.

• Upvote 1

They perform fantastic. i am playing on a 34" curved alienware, totally worth every cent. Now you do need a lot of horsepower to run the game properly on a 3000+ resolution with 100Hz, BUT since you are already shopping for a monitor i suppose your rig is up to the task. I highly recommend it, with TrackIR. 

On my Samsung CF791 which I operate in 4k it's great but their is some slight distortion on the outer edges, things appear larger.  For example when flying combat spread looking forward the aircraft next to you on your outer edge of the screen looks slightly larger and close, but when I look over to it using my track IR and place it at the center of the screen it appears "normal" distance and size.  That would be my only gripe, on the plus side I can ID targets much further than my buddies who fly with VR and the resolution is just fantastic @ 4k.  I'm one of those that will not switch to VR until the resolution approaches what I have with my current monitor/VidCard combo.

Edited by GSP_Hund

I have the ASUS PG348Q UWQHD 3440x1440 34" curved ultra-wide monitor and use TrackIR. It's brilliant for BOS with 100Hz and G-Sync. You can't beat a big screen.

My Pc is getting old (GTX 980, i7-4790K @ 4.00Ghz) but it runs it ok. Highly recommend it.

I also have an oculus rift. It's unbeatable for immersion but I still prefer to use the monitor and TiR for the superb resolution. Much easier to ID targets!

Do to edge distortion , contacts are artificially magnified on the peripheral side of screen - you can spot /id targets better. User of 34 inch curved screen (Acer predator 3440x1440 , G-sync, 100hz) . Recommend it for sure .

Edited by 307_Tomcat

Not every curved monitor has the same curvature radius.

I'm using an Alienware AW3418DW, which has a pretty strong curvature (1900R) and i never once regretted buying a curved monitor. And i'm only using it 10% of the time for gaming.

Also when i'm sitting infront of the screen i don't really notice that it's curved. I find it less comfortable to sit infront of a wide screen without any curvature and wouldn't consider buying one of those. I also wouldn't go wider than a 21:9 aspect ratio though.

You could consider buying a monitor with a less severe radius (3800R), but i wouldn't recommend that. I think ~1900R is best for a 21:9 aspect ratio.

It could also be that some games don't support a 21:9 aspect ratio though, incase you also play other games, you should probably check that first. But for BoX, it works perfectly.

I enjoyed my curved 21:9 screen with head tracking. I would pull it much closer to me for gaming than normal work/web stuff, and it was pretty good for adding immersion. VR of course is way better and I'd never go back, but you need a monitor of some kind. I personally like the 21:9 for working, I can have two normal sized windows side by side (e.g. edit in one, video conference in another) and it works great.

Having said that, if I was looking at either a curved monitor or VR purely for gaming, I would take the VR in a heartbeat. Rift S is very good for the price.