I apologize if this has been asked before or if it is a stupid question. I have Flying Circus and now that I've seen VR, it's hard to go back to anything but flying simulators without VR. My question is, are there an Il-Sturmovik games or mods with the Allied campaigns or missions where VR is possible? Cliffs of Dover doesn't seem to have it and I can't even find a Pacific campaign. Just want to try those battles out in VR is all. Can anyone help? War Thunder sucks. And Thank you!

As far as I am aware VR is completely supported in both Flying Circus and Great Battles.  So buy any Great Battles (Moscow, Stalingrad, Kuban, Bodenplatte) products and you get VR.

• Upvote 1

I play all of the campaigns and career mode in Battle of Stalingrad/Moscow/Kuban in VR. It’s fully supported and works perfectly.

At this time there is no career or scripted campaign for Flying Circus but I’m sure that will come in time!

I am baffled by the crippling effect VR have to some. With old Rift I preferred  screen most of the time. 

I get new Rift S coming and is not sure I bother to install it yet. 

Now I get afraid. It suppose to show instrument much better and I am afraid I never will fly with screen again. 

As far as I know DCS is the only one that is plug and play while Great Battles need 3 party siftware to run it. And it run it well. 

Ah! Great! I only had Cliffs of Dover so this makes sense now. I will get the other great battles today. Is it only Eastern Front or is there any VR support for Western Front or Pacific?

17 minutes ago, bobbyl25advent said:

Ah! Great! I only had Cliffs of Dover so this makes sense now. I will get the other great battles today. Is it only Eastern Front or is there any VR support for Western Front or Pacific?

Only Moscow, Stalingrad and Kuban (Eastern front 1941 - end of 1943) are completed at this point.  Bodenplatte (western front) is still in progress.  Bodenplatte has seen the release of the P47 and Spitfire Mk IX on the Allied side and they are flyable with VR.  P51, P38, and Tempest are coming.  See the latest Dev Diary for updates (pinned topic at the top of the page).  On the German side of Bodenplatte the FW190 A8, FW190 D9, Me262, Me109 G14 and Me109 K4 have all been released.

I make a 3rd party career called PWCG.  It uses Bodenplatte planes on the Stalingrad map to give people some pseudo western front fun until the completed Bodenplatte lands.  You would need to own both Bodenplatte (for the planes) and Stalingrad (for the map) to play it.

If multiplayer is your thing then all of the released Bodenplatte planes are available.

16 minutes ago, bobbyl25advent said:

Thank you very much! How do I access the PWCG?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LuseKofte said:

I am baffled by the crippling effect VR have to some. With old Rift I preferred  screen most of the time. 

I get new Rift S coming and is not sure I bother to install it yet. 

Now I get afraid. It suppose to show instrument much better and I am afraid I never will fly with screen again. 

As far as I know DCS is the only one that is plug and play while Great Battles need 3 party siftware to run it. And it run it well. 

I got a rift s a couple of weeks ago, my first vr headset. If by 3rd party you mean steam vr then yes, otherwise it was very simple to set up.

I haven't flown on my screen since, but i haven't flown that much due to work at the moment, and one thing I do thind, is that being tired and  vr flying is much harder than flying on a flat screen tired...

• Like 1

It's a external java application, so you need Java installed on your machine.  After that unzip it into your Great Battles install directory and run it.  

I bought vr mainly because po 2 and ww1 I really liked flying with vr in those 

20 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

I bought vr mainly because po 2 and ww1 I really liked flying with vr in those 

For some reason the Ju52 is fun to putter around with in VR

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bobbyl25advent said:

Is it only Eastern Front or is there any VR support for Western Front or Pacific?

There's that damned P-word again, just when my blood pressure finally returned to normal!

😉

• Haha 1

There are loads of IL2 VR vids to be seen on You Tube, I'll take the opportunity to plug one of mine :-

but search for IL2 and VR and you will see no shortage of examples,

in my case I recorded the oculus mirror with OBS, its not exactly what I see in the rift, I think I get more vertical view but it's close enough

18 hours ago, LuseKofte said:

To me VR has been THE game changer. I'm still playing with the old Rift and yes, the screen resolution leaves a lot to be desired. But as already pointed out by quite a few people, going back to 2D is a no-go for me, no matter whether there are 4K screens or 10K screens or whatever. IMHO the immersion in VR is just unparalleled.

Well it was not my intention to give critique, you are not the first to say so and not the last. 

To me old rift was just not up to the task competing with real instrument and cockpit I have. It was a fun thing to use when I flew huey in DCS quick missions. And some stuff in GB

I hope Rift S will be better reading instrument in DCS 

Anyway I think I still only will use it in flying circus and other stuff. I feel a bit shut off my family using VR.  And msny times I fly because I am tired of everyday trivia, and VR is not the tool if your tired. So it is really how one use a sim

Posted (edited)
On 8/20/2019 at 1:10 PM, LuseKofte said:

Well it was not my intention to give critique, you are not the first to say so and not the last. 

To me old rift was just not up to the task competing with real instrument and cockpit I have. It was a fun thing to use when I flew huey in DCS quick missions. And some stuff in GB

I hope Rift S will be better reading instrument in DCS 

Anyway I think I still only will use it in flying circus and other stuff. I feel a bit shut off my family using VR.  And msny times I fly because I am tired of everyday trivia, and VR is not the tool if your tired. So it is really how one use a sim

I`m pretty sure you`ll notice the difference. I came from the Vive and noticed a BIG difference in visual quality.

I suppose my only criticism of it is playing in warm weather it can get pretty hot.

Edited by seafireliv

Well I flew FNBF and it worked well. Still got my reservations. But I managed 1,5 hours flying and was doing decent.. For me it is a bit like love flying with it, but I struggle to fight with it

On 8/23/2019 at 3:46 PM, LuseKofte said:

Well I flew FNBF and it worked well. Still got my reservations. But I managed 1,5 hours flying and was doing decent.. For me it is a bit like love flying with it, but I struggle to fight with it

It's funny how different the VR experience is to people. To me, the normal flying feels a lot more awkward with the VR set and I don't really get the "WOO, immersion" effect some people describe. But when it comes to combat and shooting, VR is actually alot easier for me than screen and TIR. It's somehow just more "flowing" when it comes to lining up crosshair and target (high deflection in particular where the target is not close to the crosshair). It just looks right. Without VR, I'm a lot slower in lining up the shots and more error prone. Biggest problem for me is, I'm one of the poor folks who are heavily affected by VR sickness. Can't go longer than 30 minutes before it starts kicking in and ground pounding really takes me down after a few minutes.

16 minutes ago, Mauf said:

funny how different the VR experience is to people. To me, the normal flying feels a lot more awkward with the VR set and I don't really get the "WOO, immersion" effect some people

By flying I mean the interior , scenery. Being in a cramped space taxiing was “interesting”

only able to lean out the door on one side and my wife wondered why. The whole experience of flying make me like it visually. But I still think my pit and screen give more immersion. 

6 hours ago, Mauf said:

It's funny how different the VR experience is to people. To me, the normal flying feels a lot more awkward with the VR set and I don't really get the "WOO, immersion" effect some people describe.

Hmm, funny indeed. I'm one of those "WOO, immersion" guys and everyone else who tried my setup reacted the same way. The only difference I did observe was the motion sickness issue. Some people have the problem of getting motion sick, while others (including me) don't have it.

6 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Question: if money was no object, what VR system worked best for this game?

For the PC, best single-threaded CPU you can get, overclocked to buggery, with super fast (and also overclocked) RAM and best GPU. @dburne has a 9900K overclocked to about 5.2ghz with liquid cooling along with an EVGA overclocked RTX 2080ti. That's the PC portion. Then you have to pick a VR headset and there's probably some disagreement about the best one. Valve Index has good FOV and very good optics, sweet spot, and fitment. HP Reverb has the best resolution but poor FOV and sweet spot and Windows Mixed Reality isn't great, but it works. Pimax 5K+ has good resolution, very wide and immersive FOV, but I see a lot of disagreement about whether the sweet spot/optics are good, and the headset needs a lot of tweaking such as third party straps and things to make it comfortable.

4 hours ago, Alonzo said:

For the PC, best single-threaded CPU you can get, overclocked to buggery, with super fast (and also overclocked) RAM and best GPU. @dburne has a 9900K overclocked to about 5.2ghz with liquid cooling along with an EVGA overclocked RTX 2080ti. That's the PC portion. Then you have to pick a VR headset and there's probably some disagreement about the best one. Valve Index has good FOV and very good optics, sweet spot, and fitment. HP Reverb has the best resolution but poor FOV and sweet spot and Windows Mixed Reality isn't great, but it works. Pimax 5K+ has good resolution, very wide and immersive FOV, but I see a lot of disagreement about whether the sweet spot/optics are good, and the headset needs a lot of tweaking such as third party straps and things to make it comfortable.

First, I do not have any VR system so I may be talking out of my hat 😎

Regarding CPU purely for IL-2 VR, I don't think one needs a 9900K, most of the work is done on one core/thread so a 9600k overclocked on a single core to 5.3ghz with second to 5.2ghz and the other 4 at standard boost. 

This is more controllable regarding heat and cooling solutions and the need for a top MB for VRM's etc. 

I was starting to experiment in this regard for a potential VR proof of concept trial, but some serious parental health issues have put this on hold. 

My point is that I think it would be possible to get same performance as top 9900K set up with a much more reasonably priced mid range CPU/MB/cooling 9600k set up. (purely IL-2 VR)  of course top ram and GPU would be needed, but the cost saving can offset that (a bit) 

Had just started getting to grips with this utility for OC

Maybe I am wrong but my thoughts make sense to me, hopefully I can continue testing in the future 

Cheers, Dakpilot 

Posted (edited)

I got a i7. More than enough for GB. For DCS too but in my experience it is more cpu defendant. 

DCS is in my machine worst at low altitude in Caucasus and Normandie. And I rather fly other maps than tune down graphics. 

GB just excel in smoothness. I think you can own a pc with minimum specs to run vr in this game. 

Edited by LuseKofte

Posted (edited)
On 8/24/2019 at 2:50 PM, PatrickAWlson said:

Question: if money was no object, what VR system worked best for this game?

Probably the XTAL, but that's a $6000 VR headset intended for high-end commercial use. It's pretty much what the Pimax 5K+ wants to be when it grows up.

Me, personally... I love the Pimax 5K+, but it's not a cheap investment (but a lot cheaper than $6000). The Index is also a great high-end-ish consumer VR investment.

A 2080Ti and an i9 clocked as close to 5 (or higher) gHz as you can get would also make for the ultimate experience. Of course "ultimate" is time limited to only 6-12 months....

Edited by Coyotejbarnson

On 8/26/2019 at 1:17 AM, CoyoteRampantCoyote said:

Probably the XTAL, but that's a $6000 VR headset intended for high-end commercial use. It's pretty much what the Pimax 5K+ wants to be when it grows up.

Me, personally... I love the Pimax 5K+, but it's not a cheap investment (but a lot cheaper than $6000). The Index is also a great high-end-ish consumer VR investment.

A 2080Ti and an i9 clocked as close to 5 (or higher) gHz as you can get would also make for the ultimate experience. Of course "ultimate" is time limited to only 6-12 months....

My Xtal will ship to me September 11th. I will be posting some reviews about it in the coming weeks. 

And yes, it's ridiculously expensive but when I saw Sweviver's review on Youtube I was sold.