=GEMINI=Hawkmoon98

How to make proper chequered noses on a P-47

Posted (edited)

hi guys i'm starting to getting used to makin skins with GIMP, but the only thing that i've have problem with is making chequered nose on planes like the P-47 did someone can teach me how? 

The only solution i have for now is leaving a gap between the junctures but as you can see looks awful
image.png.2704e71cbdd3a75a2f2ed9e31349f62b.png

thanks for anyone willing to teach me

Edited by =GEMINI=Hawkmoon98

Posted (edited)

I can't 'teach you but I can say that if you're trying to make chequered parts (especially on the cowlings) then it's pretty much essential to use the 'Wireframe' layer to see the actual form of the 3-d model (in 2-d, obviously!). It also involves quite a lot of 'rinse and repeat' whereby you do a piece, look at it in Viewer and then 'rinse and repeat'! There isn't a quick fix, you just need to be patient (and probably drink an inordinate amount of coffee/tea/alcohol or what ever floats your boat)!

Here's what I mean...

P 47 Models.jpg

Capture.PNG

Edited by Raptorattacker
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Or 'Steal' the pattern from someone elses skin and use that as a pattern.

• Like 1

@ICDP @9./JG52_BOO @56RAF_Roblex I was just trying to give Hawkmoon a pointer as to HOW to do it cos he said he was trying to learn how to skin! Of COURSE he can have my layer off've this one but he didn't actually ask for that! As it goes, the one I did is pretty much exactly like the one YOU did Martin!! Great minds eh?:rolleyes:;):salute: 

I feel really mean now!

1 hour ago, Raptorattacker said:

@ICDP @9./JG52_BOO @56RAF_Roblex I was just trying to give Hawkmoon a pointer as to HOW to do it cos he said he was trying to learn how to skin! Of COURSE he can have my layer off've this one but he didn't actually ask for that! As it goes, the one I did is pretty much exactly like the one YOU did Martin!! Great minds eh?:rolleyes:;):salute: 

I feel really mean now!

Dont be daft - you offered the sound advice that was asked for mate. 

2 hours ago, Raptorattacker said:

I feel really mean now!

I may have used yours as a guide 😄

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

I was not suggesting you were mean for not offering 😉  I was just saying that it is a very tricky process with lots of trial and error so it makes more sense to use one that already works if it is the same as the one you want to make.  If he had wanted to make one with big bigger diamonds,  which he may have wanted to,  then your advice was useful to him. 👍

I come from an IT background where you never waste time writing code to do something when something already exists to do it (unless you think you can do it better of course) 😉

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, ICDP said:

I may have used yours as a guide

AHA!! I seem to remember something about that, now you come to mention it.:good:

2 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

I was not suggesting you were mean for not offering

I know, I know. Reading back over it I can see that it might appear I was being a bit 'miffed'. I wasn't at all. I totally see where you're coming from altogether! If code needs writing then I just go the whole way and get someone else to do it FOR me! I was just trying to put him on the road is all. Y'know, try it out and see where you go type of thing. That being said, the trial and error method can be incredibly daunting, especially if you're unsure of what you're doing in the first place!! I shudder to think of that process when I first started using Premiere or even Photoshop!! :salute:

@=GEMINI=Hawkmoon98 When you use the Wireframe as a guide you have to kind of imagine that the 'squares' that you're putting on there are actually stretched around the 3-D model (because this is in fact exactly what happens) so, as you're drawing them, you have to compensate for the curves that they will eventually be rendered over.

=GEMINI=Hawkmoon98

Edited by Raptorattacker

On 8/19/2019 at 12:35 AM, Raptorattacker said:

AHA!! I seem to remember something about that, now you come to mention it.:good:

I know, I know. Reading back over it I can see that it might appear I was being a bit 'miffed'. I wasn't at all. I totally see where you're coming from altogether! If code needs writing then I just go the whole way and get someone else to do it FOR me! I was just trying to put him on the road is all. Y'know, try it out and see where you go type of thing. That being said, the trial and error method can be incredibly daunting, especially if you're unsure of what you're doing in the first place!! I shudder to think of that process when I first started using Premiere or even Photoshop!! :salute:

@=GEMINI=Hawkmoon98 When you use the Wireframe as a guide you have to kind of imagine that the 'squares' that you're putting on there are actually stretched around the 3-D model (because this is in fact exactly what happens) so, as you're drawing them, you have to compensate for the curves that they will eventually be rendered over.

=GEMINI=Hawkmoon98

thank you, with the wire frame is totally better, i still have to practise with the free hand, i bet a chequered like that needs some fixing and requires a lot of time

19 minutes ago, =GEMINI=Hawkmoon98 said:

i bet a chequered like that needs some fixing and requires a lot of time

It does yeah but it's great practice if you want to learn how to do it. Long and tedious but it's the only way to learn how to do it. Of course you CAN use someone else's, as suggested. There's certainly no shame in that at all!.

Just now, Raptorattacker said:

It does yeah but it's great practice if you want to learn how to do it. Long and tedious but it's the only way to learn how to do it. Of course you CAN use someone else's, as suggested. There's certainly no shame in that at all!.

i need to practice before the P-51 template is relased 

i have this in mind
Risultati immagini per jersey jerk