mazex

Farmland in Europe...

I love this game so this is just a friendly note...

When I first saw the aligned long rectangular fields in IL2 or "Lock On" way  back when I thought "this really is a graphics artist that is lazy". I checked Google Maps and realized that there actually are fields like that in the former USSR. I guess the state owning all land and then optimizing it in Kolkhozes is what made them look like that. So for a russian map it makes sense and for a russian developer it naturally looks "right". But in Europe they look really strange as fields dont look like that here.

So when I saw the latest shot of the beatiful Tempest it really sticks out with the aligned rectangular fields for a European (if that is the Bodenplatte map). It just don't look that way here:

Tempest_1.jpg

Example from Google Maps from outside Krasnodar - so its actually perfect for Battle of Kuban even though it looks awkward for us Europeans:

v7xCtFw.jpg

And then one from outside Rotterdam in the Netherlands:

ZuSM1xl.jpg

So thats the fields we need under a Tempest unfortunately over Belgium or the Netherlands. Not at all aligned and no hedgerows prefectly aligned on every edge etc. Not one field of the exact rectangular shape as another on that image. So those on the Tempest shot really looks "like simplifed a game" if you understand what I mean...

And the fields where naturally smaller in Europe in 1944 than they are now (with more hedge rows) as well with consolidation of farmlands and giant computerized tractors etc.

Looking forward to the Bodenplatte map - and good luck!

• Confused 1

Just now, Talon_ said:

That's the Kuban map.

Wot he said.

btw, how on earth you know its kuban? you played that much that can you can actually recognize it? just wonder tho😂

5 minutes ago, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

btw, how on earth you know its kuban? you played that much that can you can actually recognize it? just wonder tho😂

The perfectly rectangular fields give it away. They only exist on the kuban map. They are however no computer artifact or sloppy design. As google maps shows you below, they exist now and already existed in 1943:

Unbenannt.jpg

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

That's the Kuban map.

Let's hope so as a bunch of the other shots are definately from Kuban. And the fields seen around the airfields on the other shots look just right!

Airfield_1.jpg

23 minutes ago, sevenless said:

The perfectly rectangular fields give it away. They only exist on the kuban map. They are however no computer artifact or sloppy design. As google maps shows you below, they exist now and already existed in 1943:

Somehow I don't think you read my whole original post ;)

Edited by mazex
Added airfield image
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, mazex said:

And the fields where naturally smaller in Europe in 1944 than they are now (with more hedge rows) as well with consolidation of farmlands and giant computerized tractors etc.

Much smaller fields. Good examples here: http://www.oldhickory30th.com/Maps.htm

Unbenannt1.jpg

8 minutes ago, mazex said:

Somehow I don't think you read my whole original post ;)

Indeed. My bad. Sorry.

Edited by sevenless
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, LLv24_Zami said:

It is a Kuban map.

Great!

Was just a bit scared when I saw it that the overload of all new planes, airfields, towns etc might have overwhelmed the devs so that the farmland had been left to the current implementation ;)

9 minutes ago, mazex said:

Wow - that link was a real gold mine. I love old maps and aerial photographs!

Yep. Some Netherlands & Belgium stuff here:

https://www.oldhickory30th.com/AerialPhotosHollandBelgium.htm

Too bad they don´t have an online ressource with 1947 aerial pics like Normandy has here:

http://remonterletemps.ign.fr/telecharger?x=-0.515853&y=49.205608&z=14&layer=GEOGRAPHICALGRIDSYSTEMS.MAPS.SCAN-EXPRESS.STANDARD&demat=DEMAT.PVA$GEOPORTAIL:DEMAT;PHOTOS&missionId=missions.4982463

• Like 1

Tempest Series I over Kuban in early 1944.

We will get a late Series II with a higher boost level as befits the Bodenplatte map.

Be sure.

Thanks for that link sevenless.  I love looking at aerial photos.  

Looking at the new map screenshots, it is a pity the airfield textures are represented in a pristine manicured 1938 state and have no traces whatsoever of bombing or damage.  Especially considering how distinctive and widespread the destruction was.  Much of the damage would need to be a part of the airfield textures to look realistic and could never be represented adequately by a mission builder piling on hundreds of fresh crater decals in FMB.  

4 hours ago, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

;)  

987518148_Kubanbit.thumb.JPG.d3fd08d43e2fa60d7c3993db03b935d4.JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

Tempest Series I over Kuban in early 1944.

We will get a late Series II with a higher boost level as befits the Bodenplatte map.

Be sure.

It's a Series II. The developers have said as much and the short barreled Hispano V's confirm it.

4 hours ago, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

I took one half second look at it and said: yup... Kuban.

It's very recognizable.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SCG_CoolWhip said:

I hope there is corn fields to ditch in.

Hmmm, winter 44 to early 45, there might be not too much corn on the fields.

Something I already thought when I saw the pictures, very green for the timeline of BOBP.

From what we see from existing maps and its accuracy,, i have no concernes that new maps will be as accurate as humanly posible for ww2 maps, and wip pictures of airbases shows whats to expect from bobp area. Most pictures of airplanes are from kuban as thats best looking map, so why not show it :)

8 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

's a Series II. The developers have said as much and the short barreled Hispano V's confirm it.

I was just joking about an early Tempest actually operating over the Kuban 😎

• Haha 1

Just now, EAF19_Marsh said:

I was just joking about an early Tempest actually operating over the Kuban 😎

I missed all the cues ;) (It's been a long week for me)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Yogiflight said:

Hmmm, winter 44 to early 45, there might be not too much corn on the fields.

Something I already thought when I saw the pictures, very green for the timeline of BOBP.

I am fairly sure I remember an earlier developer post saying that the BoBP map would come in three seasons. So fear not, no doubt we will get the extraordinary grey-brown dreariness of a NW European winter!

Dev blog #192 shows how farmland looks like on Bodenplatte map.

No Kuban checkboard pattern but more like grandma's patchwork blanket.

04.jpg

Town_2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, unreasonable said:

I am fairly sure I remember an earlier developer post saying that the BoBP map would come in three seasons. So fear not, no doubt we will get the extraordinary grey-brown dreariness of a NW European winter!

Now that you say that, I remember that, too. I just had looked in the store what is said about the timeframe for BOBP.

BTW, the winter 44/45 was pretty white, as far as I know. We started the climat change a little later;)

Only the airfield pics are from BoBp. The other pics show current maps.

5 hours ago, unreasonable said:

Four seasons. Summer, autumn, winter, early spring.

• Thanks 1

It’s all about bombing and strafing the snot out of the German army in the dead of winter.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, mazex said:

This is the original post where they showed the first teasers of the new Bodenlpatte map - with different seasons:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/168-developer-diary/?do=findComment&comment=611219

1 hour ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

Four seasons. Summer, autumn, winter, early spring.

Yes i found it in the DD after the one mazex linked, timeframe Operation Market Garden September 17th 1944 until Operation Plunder March 28th 1945, so yes four seasons.

I believe , but I might be wrong that the fields are missing farms buildings.

3 hours ago, Nil said:

Like the hundreds of small villages on the map, because it just would be too much to model all this.

58 minutes ago, Yogiflight said:

Like the hundreds of small villages on the map, because it just would be too much to model all this.

No reason for not to do it anyway 😉

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Semor76 said:

No reason for not to do it anyway 😉

If you want to wait until 2020 for the map, you might get it:P

6 hours ago, Nil said:

Would prefer that, than seeing fields with tramlines in, if people reference more modern images. 

As someone that drives 4 different sprayers for a agricultural contracting business amongst other things, i am well aware that in the 40's fields didn't have them!