AnPetrovich

Developer Diary 228 - Discussion

18 hours ago, Bullets said:

Did somebody say HURRICANE???? :biggrin:

Next Collector Planes in Pre-Production

And last but not least, we have begun preliminary work on a couple cool Collector Planes. We aren’t announcing them quite yet, but they will available for pre-order later this year and then in your hangar next year. Sorry, no hints quite yet!

I would say C-47 and Storch

4 hours ago, von_Michelstamm said:

Stuka pilots were specifically chosen from 30-40 year old men with stocky builds because of their G resistance.

Seems the game should reflect these considerations.

They absolutely were not. Hans-Ulrich Rudel was 25 years old when he bombed the Marat. Paul-Werner Hozzel was 28 when he first saw combat in the Stuka, and was probably flying them when he was younger.

Posted (edited)

Amazing work! I especially appreciate the improved pilot physiology 😍
Now if you don't mind, I would like to bump this thread which in my opinion is related to pilot physiology as well.

Each time I play IL2, even in the very cramped 109 cockpit, it doesn't feels cramped cause we're moving a point. I would love to see "proper neck" and more realistic head translation and rotation limitations. Head oscillation and translation restriction during high G load as well. No way to lean into the gun-sight during high G turn.

I remember in IL2 CLOD we have a shortcut to tight/un-tight our belt. My real life flying experience is limited, but I know that when belt are tight, we can't really lean forward. I think that could be a nice addition as well to IL2 GB. With un-tight belt we could move more freely for easier and better spotting but high Gload could be dangerous and head/body oscillation much more pronounced.

Congratulation again 👏

Edited by Hon0
  • Upvote 1

About the spotting... I have a decent eyesight but it`s very hard to see anything from those still pictures. It doesn`t represent real situation in the game in my experience. Spotting depends on many things: display, software settings, weather, lighting, background, pilots personal abilities and pure luck for example. Sometimes you see things, sometimes not. I think that`s quite realistic situation. Average flyer will do just fine. But I recommend to keep your screen spotless if you wan`t to spot distant targets 😉

I wouldn`t worry too much before you see it in action, relax 😀

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Voidhunger said:

Honestly i was hopping for visibility feature  like in clod. that blinking (shining) distant dot. I cant see a s..t now and I dont want to use icons. Many times I need to pause the game to look around where is the bloody plane I had in my gunsight 1 sec before.:dash:

I really hope that we don't end up getting this watered down to some simplified token gesture like that because the devs get pressure from the 'competitive' crowd, who when they said they wanted a more realistic spotting physics, actually just meant they wanted it to be 'easier'.

Edited by kendo
  • Like 1

Trio_2.jpg

this is the best pic I've seen to date for the series. This is just an awesome shot. 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, HappyHaddock said:

In the first of Jason's screenshots I wouldn't have noticed anything without the big red circle and even then I have to squint and ask myself if what I am seeing might be the contrails he describes. In the second image I still can't see anything I am sure are aircraft even when studying the area he has highlighted, but at the 15-25km away that he mentions would I expect to see camouflaged aircraft against a mottled natural landscape in real life?

Don't worry. As Jason said, it's easier to spot them when they are moving. And you have light reflexion on the plane which help you too. The position of the plane is another point which help. To be honest, i see nothing on the screen of jason, it's very difficult to render that effect on a screenshot.

• Upvote 1

I'm really hoping that we will get a flyable B-25 and the Mossie. Saying that, this delightful aircraft would be very welcome and who knows could be useful for the air Marshall feature?

IMG_20190817_103055.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I'll take one of those

Messerschmitt_Me-410A-1-U2_Hornisse,_Ger

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, kendo said:

I really hope that we don't end up getting this watered down to some simplified token gesture like that because the devs get pressure from the 'competitive' crowd, who when they said they wanted a more realistic spotting physics, actually just meant they wanted it to be 'easier'.

and they said they dont wont to do just simple thing like make things in artificial dot , they are doing it right way, so no need to worry.

Insted big airplanes like bombers just jumping in existance from 9km youll be able to see them gradualy apearing, and so on... dont expect things like in old il-2 1946 or other flying games, i expect same principal as now just with longer posible range, now that dont mean youll always for example see fighter from 15km, or bomber from 25km, it will depend on conditions and positions on maps and so on... it will not always be black dot if contact is more then 10km from you and so on. What ever incress is im sure it will be worth it. Just to be able to see contrails and ships from more then 10km is big +

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Asgar said:

I'll take one of those

The 410 and the Mosquito would be a really close match in terms of performance and capabilities!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bremspropeller said:

The 410 and the Mosquito would be a really close match in terms of performance and capabilities!

I mean, who doesn't think we need more twin engine planes with 50ish mm cannons, right? ...right?

What a fantastic update! There's a lot to be excited about as we go into the final stretch for Bodenplatte.

I'm really excited to see the new aircraft but things like spotting and the new physiology model are going to have big impacts across the whole sim. Kudos!

Also for Collector Planes... 😀

9-Spitfire-FR-XIV-Pic2-1024x682.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Tyberan said:

Trio_2.jpg

this is the best pic I've seen to date for the series. This is just an awesome shot. 

I see three planes in that picture! That spotting update is wonderful.

I'm looking forward to an amazing update soon. :salute:

Edited by JimTM
  • Haha 3

I wonder how much of an outlier I'd be for wishing that one of the collector plane be the He-162

I'll take a guess and say probably a strong outlier :o)

1 hour ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

What a fantastic update! There's a lot to be excited about as we go into the final stretch for Bodenplatte.

I'm really excited to see the new aircraft but things like spotting and the new physiology model are going to have big impacts across the whole sim. Kudos!

Also for Collector Planes... 😀

9-Spitfire-FR-XIV-Pic2-1024x682.jpg

Yeah, that Griffon driven baby with teardrop canopy and cutback fuselage🤩😍.

Still as good this DD is, my anticipation goes to the annoumcement of next expansion (post BoBp).....

Hope to see pinned thread about it soon, and more details about it from your interview with Jason in your blog ;)

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, kendo said:

Competetive in sp career? Pff 🙂

and eyah I wanted better spotting against backround

Edited by Voidhunger

Great update, looking forward to trying everything in game.

As far as collector planes; the B-25 is a safe bet because the Devs have already stated that the current AI version is being built with an eye towards making it player flyable after release. I would love to see a Mosquito and gunship versions of the B-25 and A-20, as well as the C-47, P-61, and B-26. I guess I just want more multi engine aircraft. Oh, and if we're all day dreaming, might as well throw the B-17G into the mix.

Now, Jason didn't specifically say the collector planes were WW II aircraft, so I'll throw out hopes we see the Sopwith Pup and a Newport 17 as well.

No matter what planes show up, I'm sure my wallet will suffer😉

Hello all!

I am impressed by the work doe on the aircraft, present and future as well as pilot physiology...

I am a bit less impressed by the airfields...so I prefer to believe there are also a WIP perhaps even more than the A/C...For instance the agricultural field patterns around Volkel is totally wrong, not Dutch looking at all...The hangars are also wrong but I suspect there are simple place holders for now (and maybe the ground textures as well).
For people interested here are three hi-res photos of 1944 for three well known BP airfields: Brussels-Grimbergen and -Evere as well as Antwerp-Deurne (LukeFF has these photos since a while).

grosfi.ch/TCCfx5c6Wjw

You will see the incredible variety of revetments, hangars, blastwalls and various camouflage techniques (from nets to farm or manor bodies over the real hangar...) present at these airfields. It was the same everywhere in Belgium and Holland, Volkel included.

I have made a nice reconstitution of Eindhoven 1944 (sorry, no Volkel!) as I suspect this is the second airfield shown in the dev update...As yo can see the variety is large, many revetments (the majority actually) are revetments with blastwalls and sometimes camouflage nets. The extension of the dispersal system in Eindhoven is staggering...

Eindhoven here: grosfi.ch/b372Bqu4aHv

Amically

JVM

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Was totally blown away by the upcoming pilot physiology feature until i realized that it may not be applied to the AI in like degree, if at all.

Edited by Dagwoodyt

7 minutes ago, Dagwoodyt said:

Was totally blown away by the upcoming pilot physiology feature until i realized that it may not be applied to the AI in like degree, if at all.

Not too worried about AI , its a work in progress , plus I have never seen AI do the super human stunts I see in MP.

I dont see AI pulling unrealistic high G maneuvers, AI is too easy to shoot down at the moment.

So might balance the field a bit.

That P-38 cockpit is gorgeous. I'm going to have to get to know that sweet thing.

And how about this collector to go with it?

:salute:

Skud

image.thumb.png.82424d9341edba5ceca3e5342918afa3.png

• Upvote 1

I had missed that interview! Glad to see that the Lisunov Li-2 is still a possibility!

8 hours ago, hsthhsth said:

Would like too to see these physical limitations applied to Flying Circus.

Found this about g-forces in WWI planes http://naca.central.cranfield.ac.uk/reports/arc/rm/350.pdf .

I love the wing spar details and calculations in that report! I might be a bit careful making too many generalisations from it though! Aircraft are often built with more strength then they need and captured German aircraft are older than the S.E.5 they are comparing them to! I'm pretty certain that late war German fighters (especially given their emphasis on diving attacks) were pulling similar gee levels to allied fighters (enough to risk blacking out under some conditions)!

Posted (edited)

This has been a great game but sadly I just don't play it because the multiplayer was lacking compared to the old il-2 days. This for me was due to the render distance and no blackouts and not enough people online. This update is going to fix all these issues and I cannot wait. I will be able to spot targets from range and stalk them or boom and zoom! I will be able to outmanouver by being smoother/smarter. Hi and low yo-yo's come to mind. And with the American aircraft I think there will be A LOT more pilots online. I remember in my il-2 days there were soo many amercan pilots online in my timezone. Now i never see any. 

There is one more feature missing... the ability to choose aircraft letter marking's which show up on the player lists so that you can identify who you are flying alongside. 

Good work team love your work.

Edited by OldMateBenno
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, OldMateBenno said:

There is one more feature missing... the ability to choose aircraft letter marking's which show up on the player lists so that you can identify who you are flying alongside. 

That would be a great feature!

• Upvote 1

i might be the only one here, but im hoping for a collector Ju-88 G6 model for fighting those b17 bomber formations

i believe it was used as a day and night fighter even though probably more succesful as a nightfighter?

Great stuff it took me hrs to get my self together I was mowing and looking at the update I had to shut my tractor down and I ran to the shade to see what was it and it was pictures of my P-51 I hated the P-38 but now it’s growing on me it looks pretty cool nice info update but I have one question we are having trouble getting the German 262 in the air due to short run ways my question is is their going to be longer runways? Also for collector planes I hope to see a German ME 229

6 hours ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

I'm really hoping that we will get a flyable B-25 and the Mossie.

3 hours ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

Collector plane wish list:

Li-2 (C-47, L2D3)

Hurricane

The Mosquito and C-47 are likely to be made. Great planes to fly and I would totally get them along with the Me-410 and Arado 234.

B-25: We'll get an AI version for Bodenplatte this September; a flyable B-25 is NOT going to happen until quite possibly a while later because as stated by Jason the interior work (cockpit, bombardier/nose gunner, Top/tail, and possibly waist gunners) would take too long to make along with the exterior.

Hurricane: I don't really think they're planning on making a Hurricane. Sure, it was used on the Eastern front, but as far as what's in IL-2 GBs that's pretty much it. If they were doing Leningrad then it would make sense to include the Hurricane, but I believe these Collector planes will be planes that fought in the Western Front 44-45.

A great update, thank you.

As for the collector planes the Me 410 and the Typhoon have my vote.

Excellent DD!

Too many great things to comment on.

Regarding the collector planes, I'm sure they will lick cool ones.

The changes to pilot physiology sound brilliant and I look forward to watching the fighter jockeys spinning about in confusion.  I am also looking forward to having the body of a 25 year old again-I'm 62.👴  Will the targets render more quickly, say, from 6-7k?  Also, the new planes are mouth-watering, in particular I'm looking forward to the P38.  As for a new collector plane, I would love the B25, but accept it is a bit off at the present, however the Mossie would be a dream, with the 4,000lb cookie please, or even torps for the 88, 111, A20 or IL2.  Anyway, heartfelt thanks for what you're doing.

1 hour ago, Winglesschip209 said:

I have one question we are having trouble getting the German 262 in the air due to short run ways my question is is their going to be longer runways?

Yes, there will be longer runways on the Bodenplatte map.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

Yeah, that Griffon driven baby with teardrop canopy and cutback fuselage🤩😍.

Still as good this DD is, my anticipation goes to the annoumcement of next expansion (post BoBp).....

Hope to see pinned thread about it soon, and more details about it from your interview with Jason in your blog ;)

I'm hoping to do some follow ups with Jason in the future for sure. There's still a part four in our series that is in the wings somewhere (Jason and team have been busy... so I have really) and then hopefully something new whenever the future announcements come.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, BraveSirRobin said:

Do you have any data that shows that Stuka pilots were better able to withstand high G's?  The dev team will need that data.  

Just did a quick google now, I’ve heard this elsewhere too. I’m curious the data behind this.

Important too would be data that shows the average Stuka pilot actually *was* stocky, etc. (since I made a possibly wrong assumption that they *chose* pilots based on this, rather than this just being something they observed.)

https://books.google.com/books?id=9SyQt5L0WscC&pg=PT69&lpg=PT69&dq=stuka+pilots+stocky&source=bl&ots=hwhyHPoaev&sig=ACfU3U2N1NeD1Oz7jERpQGEBvag1da8N6g&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjE_8KTvIrkAhURK30KHX39CZgQ6AEwDHoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=stuka pilots stocky&f=false

EFCC3A1C-C988-42FA-9320-667CEA8B61F9.jpeg

Edited by von_Michelstamm
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jann3man said:

i might be the only one here, but im hoping for a collector Ju-88 G6 model for fighting those b17 bomber formations

i believe it was used as a day and night fighter even though probably more succesful as a nightfighter?

Won't be any B-17 formations in Bodenplatte. Only B-25s.

9 hours ago, kendo said:

I think that's unfair to say that wanting to burst the 10km bubble is only to make it easier.  Watching things blink in and out of existence is one of the most immersion breaking things in video games.  And didn't they say this will affect ships and ground assets as well?  Ships blinking in and out are just ridiculous.  At least in Rise of Flight that was tempered by the slow speed of the aircraft, but at WWII speeds it's just terrible. 

If the P-38 and the vis update happen in the same patch, I'll be overjoyed.

3 hours ago, von_Michelstamm said:

Just did a quick google now, I’ve heard this elsewhere too. I’m curious the data behind this.

Important too would be data that shows the average Stuka pilot actually *was* stocky, etc. (since I made a possibly wrong assumption that they *chose* pilots based on this, rather than this just being something they observed.)

https://books.google.com/books?id=9SyQt5L0WscC&pg=PT69&lpg=PT69&dq=stuka+pilots+stocky&source=bl&ots=hwhyHPoaev&sig=ACfU3U2N1NeD1Oz7jERpQGEBvag1da8N6g&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjE_8KTvIrkAhURK30KHX39CZgQ6AEwDHoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=stuka pilots stocky&f=false

EFCC3A1C-C988-42FA-9320-667CEA8B61F9.jpeg

That isn't exactly data, and I'm pretty sure we'll get the physiology of an average pilot.

Posted (edited)

Will adrenaline be addressed?   

Scenario:  Pilot is too tired to pull 5 Gs.  The plane is heading toward the ground and a 5 G pullout is what's needed to save it.  The plane is still structurally capable of handling 5 Gs.  I'm guessing most pilots would make it happen and save the plane. 

Edited by =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ