AnPetrovich

Developer Diary 228 - Discussion

7 minutes ago, 71st_AH_Yankee_ said:

No it wasn't. The devs mentioned they'd like to do it, but it certainly hasn't been announced as an upcoming Collector's Aircraft.

Yes and no. This is from an interview with Jason.

The U-2VS was the first aircraft developed by a third-party developer. Are there plans to continue with that model in the future? Related question: Is the Li-2 (or C-47/DC-3) still planned?

Jason: “Yes, that is correct. The U-2VS was built by our friends at Yugra Media. They have a contract to build the Li-2 and maybe a C-47 if that works out, but we’re a long way from that at the moment. The U-2 was a very intensive process that took more of our own time than we had hoped. I’m still hopeful the Li-2 will happen as planned, but until I know for sure I can’t say more. Yugra is also making our Flying Circus planes and they are still learning how to make them efficiently and with high quality. Making planes from scratch or revising older ones up to our standards is a challenge even for an experienced team like Yugra. But they are making real strides.

Source: https://stormbirds.blog/2019/02/06/part-1-an-interview-with-jason-williams-and-daniel-tuseev-il-2-great-battles-series/

So if it has not changed we will get the Russian version in any case. And hopefully then also the original 😄

Just now, Big_Al_the_Allo said:

Yes and no. This is from an interview with Jason.

Source: https://stormbirds.blog/2019/02/06/part-1-an-interview-with-jason-williams-and-daniel-tuseev-il-2-great-battles-series/

So if it has not changed we will get the Russian version in any case. And hopefully then also the original 😄

Aah, very nice. So they contracted for it, but haven't gotten around to actually announcing it. Strange. So I guess it's quite possible it is one of the 2 collector's in question.

Which, of course, would be fine by me. Even a soviet DC-3 would be great. :)

• Upvote 1

Hi!

Great news!

One question: would the new pilot's physiology model also affect AI pilots?

Cheers!

Is the AI going to be affected by these pilot modifications?

7 minutes ago, CDRSEABEE said:

This feature is still under development so not sure how it will all shake out.

Jason

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CDRSEABEE said:

If the AI behaves in a realistic manner does it really matter? They could just say yes it does and you'd be none the wiser. That's the trick.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ah, much to look forward to.  Fingers also crossed for a little PP fix in the VR realms.

Thanks so much guys and I hope you all had some good time out for your Summer Holidays. 👍

35 minutes ago, Drinkis said:

During World War II, there was a practice of leaving the machine by turning it over. In this way, the pilot just needed to unfasten the belts, then the force of gravity did its job.

The diary says that now, if a pilot is injured, it will be more difficult for him to leave the plane.

Question: will this feature (with turning a plane over) be implemented? This will help to leave the plane much faster.

Yes, we have implemented this.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 9

35 minutes ago, 71st_AH_Yankee_ said:

Interesting. I wonder if that will be a mod, or just be determined at the onset by which plane is being flown.

Here's why that's interesting; I believe the 8th airforce had a mandatory wear for G-suits, whereas the 9th airforce didn't.

I wonder if we’ll see the Bodenplatte map in the September update or at the final release? Either way it doesn’t greatly matter.

For the C-47/Li-2, I feel that the C-47 should be made first, then the Li-2 because the former would be easier to make then the latter.

Your future model of pilot fatigue looks very very interesting... can't wait to see the finale result. 

Posted (edited)

i read collector plane i think Me 410 :) 

Edited by Asgar
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

It’s a Mustang not a Pony [edited] 😞

Where’s the rear view mirror on the mustang? 

Make sure we can turn and look behind our aircraft as they were able to in real life. 

Edited by SYN_Haashashin

I have inside info that one of the collector planes will be the Avro Anson. Really great choice, I think, since a lot of us need training on twin-engined planes.

The other one will most probably be the Siebel Si-204, but that is not certain yet.

I am sure the fan base will rejoice at this choice of planes.

A excellent DD, all kinds of great stuff to look forward to, we wait with eager anticipation.:cool:

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

1 hour ago, kendo said:

Probably just like the real thing then...    😉

Then hopefully it's a little "gamey" and benefits us all. 😋

26 minutes ago, AnPetrovich said:

Yes, we have implemented this.

Maybe I shouldn't have been surprised but I was, pleasantly. It's so cool to see the devs thinking of the details like this. So we'll start seeing more realistic bail out behavior online too. These big & small changes to gameplay make all the difference, well beyond just new planes (which of course are very nice). 

38 minutes ago, Freycinet said:

I have inside info that one of the collector planes will be the Avro Anson. Really great choice, I think, since a lot of us need training on twin-engined planes.

The other one will most probably be the Siebel Si-204, but that is not certain yet.

You mean I'm not getting my Blackburn Roc? :(

• Like 1

What I hope is the LI-2 and C-47 will be sold as a single package, since they are variations of the same design. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

Could any of them manage prolonged g? I ask out of interest. I always thought probably not and so would not really be affected.

Head, H. (1920) "The sense of stability and balance in the air" reported that Sopwith Camel and Sopwith Triplane pilots were blacking out when they reached about 4.5G... but earlier in the war a lot of aircraft couldn't pull 2-3G...

The thing is that the new model puts a lot more of an emphasis on instantaneous gee forces - so the fact that these fighters couldn't sustain high G for more than a short period of time will matter more. The RoF derived flight model is also probably a bit twitchier than it should be - hence my curiosity. There is also the question of whether something like G-LOC will happen earlier for actions like reloading guns (as this is already modelled for gunners - who'll just start 'hanging on' instead of shooting if the gee forces are high enough).

You heard it here first; next collector is.....

IJN Akagi!

You're welcome. ;)

5 hours ago, pfrances said:

Will target  icons in SP also extend out to the new draw distance?

Oh, I hope not. I am still campaigning to cut icon distances by half and reducing the flags to the original (EA) smaller size as well.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Development team, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU😁

6 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Nah not yet because its WIP and we're still tweaking so I don't want you guys nit picking everything until we're fully happy with it. This was just a tease to show that we have the tech after years of complaints about 10km limit. It's not all that easy to spot them, but eagle eye players will see them. When they are in motion and not in a screenshot it is a bit easier and the lighting and the weather etc. has an effect. And don't expect to zoom in and see stuff way out there. Zoom doesn't really help you on this. Real pilots did not have zoom. Zoom still has an effect when you are closer to help with IDing bogies. Just develop your long range eyeballs guys.   

Here are the answers. One has some contrails of bandits circling at Nine O'clock and some others are just below the contrail limit that are a bit closer. The second has some bogeys down low in the ground clutter milling about since I was not a threat. I just set up a QMB and ran away from them at high speed then turned around and tried to spot. Took a few seconds. Not sure of the exact distance, but somewhere between 15-25km. Just no way of telling with how I set this up. Wasn't a scientific test. But it is a ways beyond 10km because I watched the icon turn off at 10km then I kept flying for a little while. 

Contacts_1.thumb.jpg.3d9c7e1731567a5b145ac9a2857b664f.jpg

Contacts_2.thumb.jpg.825474d1632c52948baaf4c7add0d943.jpg

Jason

I would ask you to consider the age of most of your player base.  I would guess that many of us are over 50 and don't have 20/20 vision anymore.  Flight sims are my last entertainment refuge.  I can no longer endure the trash talk from 12 year olds in FPS shooters because my reflexes have slowed down.  Now I have to be at a competitive disadvantage because of my relatively weak eye-site.  Won't someone think of the geezers!

• Haha 1

Looking at that view from the P-38 cockpit, I like to imagine that that first bogey is a lone Ki-61.   While the second shot is a distant trio of A6M's  :happy:

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Freycinet said:

I can confirm the Avro Anson as Jason let it slip over breakfast a couple of days ago.

A Nonny Mouse

p.s. Eggs celent spell binding DD mine hairs.

Edited by pilotpierre
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

This is so cool! Pilot physiology will be a game changer.

But, will it affect all pilots/planes equally?

Stuka pilots were specifically chosen from 30-40 year old men with stocky builds because of their G resistance.

Seems the game should reflect these considerations.

This Native Boy (Not Cowboy) is ready to ride bareback (no need for a saddle) that beautiful steed, the P-38. Thank you Devs for the hard work! Impressive! :good::biggrin:

Really interesting physiology modelling. Great idea.

I'll add my voice to those asking how it is being applied to Flying Circus - for pilots AND 2seater gunners.

Also if cold/oxygen levels at altitude would be modelled.

Cheers

4 hours ago, NO_SQDeriku777 said:

I would ask you to consider the age of most of your player base.  I would guess that many of us are over 50 and don't have 20/20 vision anymore.  Flight sims are my last entertainment refuge.  I can no longer endure the trash talk from 12 year olds in FPS shooters because my reflexes have slowed down.  Now I have to be at a competitive disadvantage because of my relatively weak eye-site.  Won't someone think of the geezers!

Honestly i was hopping for visibility feature  like in clod. that blinking (shining) distant dot. I cant see a s..t now and I dont want to use icons. Many times I need to pause the game to look around where is the bloody plane I had in my gunsight 1 sec before.:dash:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, von_Michelstamm said:

This is so cool! Pilot physiology will be a game changer.

But, will it affect all pilots/planes equally?

Stuka pilots were specifically chosen from 30-40 year old men with stocky builds because of their G resistance.

Seems the game should reflect these considerations.

Do you have any data that shows that Stuka pilots were better able to withstand high G's?  The dev team will need that data.  

C47 and mosquito would be great for the next collector plane.

Posted (edited)

Great job, guys! The physiology effects are a very welcome addition.

32 minutes ago, hsthhsth said:

Would like too to see these physical limitations applied to Flying Circus.

Found this about g-forces in WWI planes http://naca.central.cranfield.ac.uk/reports/arc/rm/350.pdf .

I guess the physical limitations will be applied on WWI planes as well, since they run on the very same simulation engine.

Edited by CAPSLOCK_ON
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Great DD! Viewing distances, pilot physiology... Looking very much forward to that. And the beautiful planes! Great job!

2 hours ago, von_Michelstamm said:

Is that so? I find it hard to find even a single one over 30 when he enlisted. Also, 3, 4 years into the war I find it hard to believe that they could convince any 30-40 year old who had his wits with him to join the flight school for flying Stukas. Is there any older Stuka pilot than Günther Bleckmann? Regarding „stockyness“, people back then in Getmany were on average 5 cm shorter, so the Udet/Doolittle type must have been more prevalent.

Edited by ZachariasX

Great DD!

Its all promising! Lovely work devs, please dont stop😊

Can twait for September!

Posted (edited)

When the increased draw distance  was first mentioned in a previous dev diary  I got a bit of flak for saying I hoped that it would be possible to implement things in the way the devs described and that it wasn't going to be a similar case of them giving in to the vocal demands made to change the FM's in ROF, where people got what they asked for and then decided it had nerfed the sim and needed changing back.

I readily acknowledge that there are plenty of us who have eye sight that is not what it once was given that our 21st birthdays are distant history, people who for reasons of easier game-play might want things to be made "more visible" , however there are also plenty of us who want an accurate depiction of just how difficult many things are to see at distance or when the lighting isn't favourable and where missing an enemy aircraft's approach more often than not results in you getting shot out of the sky. 

When the game engine doesn't render things that should be obvious like the contrails of large bomber formations at more than 10km that is good reason to change things so long as it doesn't make everything "too" visible.

In the first of Jason's screenshots I wouldn't have noticed anything without the big red circle and even then I have to squint and ask myself if what I am seeing might be the contrails he describes. In the second image I still can't see anything I am sure are aircraft even when studying the area he has highlighted, but at the 15-25km away that he mentions would I expect to see camouflaged aircraft against a mottled natural landscape in real life?

I know the game engine hasn't stopped rendering the aircraft just because they are a long way away which I regard as a good thing, but by rendering them so subtly it actually forces you to really pay attention if you are to gain a situational advantage by spotting the other guy before he spots you. Though this does pose questions about the spotting abilities of AI aircraft in single player?

As a WIP I like the look of this, (if that is the right way to describe something I can't see?) so long as this makes the sim more realistic rather than simple pandering to subjective demands for better game play I'll regard it as another positive step in the right direction.

Perhaps for those that want the "gameplay" option more could be done with a simpler/smaller icons system at distance?

HH

Edited by HappyHaddock
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Yes excellent DD!

Particularly excited by collector planes, always a good way for the team to go,we're all very excited Iam sure.