Tanks at Finnish VirtualPilots!

Initially yesterday  it was  not one I wanted to  play on as there seemed to be only 1 front area,   2 tank spawns  ( troops and artillery )  in one sector only  and the airfields seemed to be minimal.     I just looked today and  it looks like the  mission has gone back to 2 sectors  as  it had been.   I have been enjoying  Tanks on this server and  it has been fun.

I only wish that  some of the better tanks could be brought into the rotation  much sooner  than they are.  The Russian side gets a heavy hitter in the SU122  in set 4.  German get Panther ( much less effective vs non-armour targets ) in Set 5,   Russian KV1 .   Set 6  Su152,   Set 7  Tiger, Set 8  Ferdinand.  So out of 9 sets,  Germans only get a heavy hitter for 3 of them.    I would argue in favor of bringing in all of the heavies in Set 3  using your  allocation of 2 per type at the artillery spawn.  From Set 4 on the # available  would progressively grow by 1 vehicle per type  at the arty spawn.  In set 7 8 9  there would be  2, then 3, then 4  of each type of heavy available at the troop spawn.   So by set 9, there would be 8 of each type of heavy at the arty spawn available.    Now   these  bigger tanks are worth more points, so if you lose a large # of them your team takes a much larger hit  in points from that loss.   There  is no reason IMHO  for the Russian to get SU-122  in set 4   when it is quite capable of taking out the Tiger,  and any other German Tank using the HEAT round that is not affected by range.   To answer skeptics,   yes,  I have used the SU122  online  and taken out Tigers, and Ferdinand's  so I know it can be done  effectively.   

The Pilot  to Tankmen  ratio   is  @- 12-1       Why not allow us to have more utilization of the better tanks at a higher #  and earlier  as the effect on the overall campaign will  be much smaller  and will  allow us to have more variety.  I know the Sets are not based on Historical dates,   etc,   but the reality is all of these Tanks were in use for June 43,   much sooner than their AC counterparts we get to see.  Why not let us use them earlier, and have more of them ?

A question for LL,   can the number of heavies (  now at 2 )   be increased by the paratroop drops ?    If no1  is using a Panther,   will the number avail go to 4 after a successful drop ?

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, JG1_Wittmann said:

Initially yesterday  it was  not one I wanted to  play on as there seemed to be only 1 front area,   2 tank spawns  ( troops and artillery )  in one sector only  and the airfields seemed to be minimal.     I just looked today and  it looks like the  mission has gone back to 2 sectors  as  it had been.

I had initially forgotten the setting to the one I use on the test server, so there was only one sector.

13 hours ago, JG1_Wittmann said:

If no1  is using a Panther,   will the number avail go to 4 after a successful drop ?

I suppose we could have the better tanks come in a set or two earlier. Increasing numbers could be done, but I'd rather just have the paradrops replenish the tank numbers (like it was some time ago). To me, increasing the total/maximum number would be needlessly complex on the mission logic side, and it most likely would need a change to the campaign application too.

• 3 weeks later...

The tank spawns have indestructible AAA as protection. Out of those, the heavy AAA is set to engage ground targets at a distance of 1000 m.

Ah, I see, that’s makes sense then, there is no need to “capture “ the point either, a good idea.

Having some really nice tanks fights on the Kuban map, playing cat and mouse with Panzers in villages makes up for some really tense missions!

Edited by SYN_Ricky
  • Upvote 1

We might focus a bit more into the tank side on the server, now that the airplane side is quite fleshed out.

One idea that came to my mind is to map possible areas for those Control Points into cities/towns, so that if the frontline fight is "near enough" to a mapped CP, we'd place the Control Point there instead of just between the frontline groups.

Another idea is to perhaps add one control point per side per sector behind the frontline troops, and capturing the enemy's frontline would give you more + on the frontline advance.

Edited by LLv34_Temuri
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The number of tankers has really been rising on this server recently. Just tonight there were over 30 tankers on! Really great to see. 

I am sure this has been talked about before but the amount of invisible walls and trees on the Velikiye Luki map is really an issue for tankers. During the last two campaigns on Kuban and Stalingrad I think I hit one of these walls. On Velikiye Luki it happens multiple times every sortie. One guy in our group hit 3 in a 5 minute period. I think it may be worth considering removing this map from rotation. Especially with so many new players coming to the sim. 

I am happy to hear other proposals or counter arguments. I figured I would just mention it here. 

Edited by Wolfpack345

Agreed it is very off putting. They will damage the tank but will also injure the crew which makes the mission more or less a restart to regain your sight.

Yeah. In addition, the amount of rivers on the Velikie Luki map cause situations where it’s impossible to drive to the enemy front. For this we might be able to devise a solution, but the invisible obstacles would still be there.