Roodster

Error Reading Mission File

G`day Guys, 

I created a deathmatch mission and went to test on a server I created and noticed a few mistakes within the mission. 

I tried to open it with the Mission Editor and got a message "Error Reading Mission File". 

Any ideas as to what caused this error and how to fix it? 

Cheers

Roodster 

1. In the Tools menu, choose Resave All Missions in a Folder.

2. Navigate to the folder containing your mission and click OK.

On 8/14/2019 at 10:03 PM, JimTM said:

1. In the Tools menu, choose Resave All Missions in a Folder.

2. Navigate to the folder containing your mission and click OK.

Unfortunately it didnt work Jim.. This is what I got on my screen: 

image.thumb.png.0b73c41d8e083eac9654da17a506ab5e.png

On 8/14/2019 at 5:12 AM, Roodster said:

G`day Guys, 

I created a deathmatch mission and went to test on a server I created and noticed a few mistakes within the mission. 

I tried to open it with the Mission Editor and got a message "Error Reading Mission File". 

Any ideas as to what caused this error and how to fix it? 

Cheers

Roodster 

Salutations,

You created a mission with mistakes within it. That is the cause of the problem. 😑

I suggest a Redo of the mission but ensure you utilize the 'Start integrity Check' function under Tools to ensure 'mistakes' are limited as you go along.

Possible fix.... from the image you supplied, the mission is designated as a single and you indicated that it should be a Deathmatch.

Edited by Thad

33 minutes ago, Thad said:

Salutations,

You created a mission with mistakes within it. That is the cause of the problem. 😑

I suggest a Redo of the mission but ensure you utilize the 'Start integrity Check' function under Tools to ensure 'mistakes' are limited as you go along.

Possible fix.... from the image you supplied, the mission is designated as a single and you indicated that it should be a Deathmatch.

Thanks for the advice Thad, however ME couldn't open my Mission file and that is the default setting on ME prior to opening the mission file. 

I have been thinking that I may to redo the mission again as per your first suggestion,  so I will see how that goes.  

Roodster

Hello.

Maybe try to open the.msbin.
In the editor do: file / open / file name / write: "*.*" and click "enter" / open the file.msbin of your mission.
Not sure it works, but you can already try it before JimTM answers.

Ok thanks for your help guys. You have given me some helpful tips however I think it will be easier to start over again. 🙄😫

Cheers

Roodster

19 hours ago, JimTM said:

Roodster, somehow all the files in your mission got screwed up. There is nothing but NULLs in every file.

I have the same.

Interesting to understand perhaps: Can you open the  ".mission" file with your Notepad program?

Edited by NN_Elanion

36 minutes ago, NN_Elanion said:

Interesting to understand perhaps: Can you open the  ".mission" file with your Notepad program?

Yes. If you want to edit the file, it's best to use an advanced editor, such as NotePad++ (free download), to avoid introducing errors that you can't see in NotePad.

1 hour ago, NN_Elanion said:

I agree with Jim. Do not use notepad from microsoft. This the best way to have a corrupted file.

I also suggest keeping a version history/backup when editing the mission file by Notepad++. If something goes wrong, you can the use e.g. WinMerge or some such tool to diff the files. You can easily corrupt a file by inserting a tab to the beginning of a row, when the game wants just spaces there. These kind of changes are hard to spot with a text editor alone.

• Thanks 1