Sign in to follow this  
Dutch2

AMD 3800X vs Intel 9700k(f)

I have to leave my old trusty 5,1Ghz i7-7700k/GTX1080 to my son, as his Liano CPU is now become to slow. While I keep the family tradition going on, to give my PC to my son and get a new one. 🙂  

I do read a lot of test about AMD 3800X vs Intel 9700k(f) (both the same priced) and when it becomes to results at overclock, the 9700k shows his power above the 3800x. Now I would like to know how does this compare in VR? The old gen. Ryzen was always the nogo here for VR but what about the new Ryzen 3800x? 

Can I take the OC peak bench at single core as an indication that the 9700k is also the better one in BoX-VR? https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-9700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-3800X/4030vs4047

I'd stick with Intel just for the simple fact that it still has the edge in attainable single core performance. The new ryzens are actually equal clock per clock in IPC, the issue is the chips don't clock that high. That 9700k will do 5ghz with a good mobo. That's as good as it gets for VR. 

Posted (edited)
Just now, JonRedcorn said:

I'd stick with Intel just for the simple fact that it still has the edge in attainable single core performance. The new ryzens are actually equal clock per clock in IPC, the issue is the chips don't clock that high. That 9700k will do 5ghz with a good mobo. That's as good as it gets for VR. 

This is almost entirely false.

Ryzens are around 5-15% higher in IPC at the same clock. However it is indeed correct that intels right now "win" in single-thread on the highest-end chips, by on average about 5% depending on the benchmark you use. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmxkpTtwx1k )

Regarding which one to get - look into the actual benchmarks out there instead of asking on a forum where you'll get biased opinions in every direction imaginable.

Practically speaking if you have cash to throw around get the highest clocked intel you can get.

If the consideration is even remotely about value at high-end performance CPUs then ryzens are the way to go. I wouldn't even waste the cash on the 3800x and instead go with 3700x or 3900x.

Also, do not use the userbenchmark website (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaWZKPUidUY ) 

Edited by [110]xJammer
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, [110]xJammer said:

This is almost entirely false.

Ryzens are around 5-15% higher in IPC at the same clock. However it is indeed correct that intels right now "win" in single-thread on the highest-end chips, by on average about 5% depending on the benchmark you use. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmxkpTtwx1k )

Regarding which one to get - look into the actual benchmarks out there instead of asking on a forum where you'll get biased opinions in every direction imaginable.

Practically speaking if you have cash to throw around get the highest clocked intel you can get.

If the consideration is even remotely about value at high-end performance CPUs then ryzens are the way to go. I wouldn't even waste the cash on the 3800x and instead go with 3700x or 3900x.

Also, do not use the userbenchmark website (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaWZKPUidUY ) 

Please post a source for those claims. Not watching a YouTube video. 

Just now, JonRedcorn said:

Please post a source for those claims. Not watching a YouTube video. 

You can enable captions on youtube and read the text instead ;) 

5 minutes ago, [110]xJammer said:

You can enable captions on youtube and read the text instead ;) 

No thanks I just read Anandtech and they say at normalized frequencies the ryzen is slightly faster. So IPC is about the same but unfortunately the Intel chip has about 5-600 mhz over the amd chip. And vr needs all it can get. The Intel chip is still the winner. Not sure what I said in my comment that was completely untrue. 

Posted (edited)

I have a 3900X because I do more 4K 2D gaming and 2D work than VR stuff, so cores are far more important for me.  It is important to understand it also depends on your HMD.  I have a Pimax 5K+ and my 2700X gives similar FPS to my 3900X because when driving 2x 2560x1440p screens in VR the bottleneck is the GPU not the CPU.

What GPU and VR HMD are you planning to use?

Edited by ICDP

39 minutes ago, ICDP said:

I have a 3900X because I do more 4K 2D gaming and 2D work than VR stuff, so cores are far more important for me.  It is important to understand it also depends on your HMD.  I have a Pimax 5K+ and my 2700X gives similar FPS to my 3900X because when driving 2x 2560x1440p screens in VR the bottleneck is the GPU not the CPU.

What GPU and VR HMD are you planning to use?

RTX 2800super 

Samsung Odyssey plus

1 hour ago, [110]xJammer said:

1). Sorry but what benchmark would be right to use this for BoS-VR, or Assetto Corsa VR both games I play in VR.

2). could you explain this better about remotely, I do not know what you are trying to explain. BTW the 3900x is a bit out of budget same as the 9900k. 

With that GPU and HMD you should have no real issues with either CPU to be honest, but as Jammer said if you go Ryzen get a 3700X and save the extra cash.

Ultimately if I were choosing between those 2 CPUs from scratch I would go for the 9700K for the OC potential but bear in mind it would require an expensive cooler to reach that OC.

Just now, Dutch2 said:

RTX 2800super 

Samsung Odyssey plus

1). Sorry but what benchmark would be right to use this for BoS-VR, or Assetto Corsa VR both games I play in VR.

2). could you explain this better about remotely, I do not know what you are trying to explain. BTW the 3900x is a bit out of budget same as the 9900k. 

The best option would be to try to find someone who has similar setup to yours and see how well it performs in those games. But that is under the assumption that it is the only thing that you care about and nothing else matters.

From general point of view however, intel provides you with a few more frames here and there (0-10% better FPS in major games), but ryzen instead gives you around 30-50% more total performance / dollar. So if you ever decide to do streaming or productivity on the machine the ryzen setup will blow intel out of the water.

Posted (edited)

What Jammer said, look at what else you will be using your PC for because when it comes to productivity the 3700X will be significantly faster than a 9700K.  I should stress again that you also need to factor in the 9700K cooling required to reach and maintain 5GHz OC.

Ryzen 3700X with decent air cooler included: $330

I7 9700K with no cooler: $370

Add a decent cooler to keep that 9700K cool at 5GHz: $80(air) - $150+ (AIO).

So suddenly you have a 3700X killing the 9700K in price/performance because for the 9700K + cooler you are suddenly into 3900X money.

I will finish by saying if your only interest is VR FPS in Il-2 then stick with the 9700K.

Edited by ICDP

Thank you all for the info. 

I’m only interested in BoS and Assetto Corsa playing in VR.  

@JimmySolarium I only use benchmarks that are also using OC results like GamersNexus, not driving a CPU without OC. 

The only problem is always what benchmark can be compared to playing BoS in VR? 

Posted (edited)

Dutch2, let me know your PC settings and I reproduce similar settings on my Pimax and RTX2080.  It will at least give a ballpark figure for you to see how it stacks up against your old 7700K at 5.1GHz with your 2080 Super installed.

• Your Steam VR settings (for VR resolution)
  • Il-2 BoS settings
  • Your testing methods (mission used for the test)

Use FRAPS to record your FPS on one of the included missions and I will do the same.

Edited by ICDP

Did any of you notice a performance hit due to the Spectre/Meltdown patches in VR? I would think small performance differences show there?

I‘m not VR, (so far) hence the performance hit in BoX on my i9-7900X is not that noticeable on my rig as it is with other applications. I chose that platform for fast storage and overall the performance reduction was rather dramatic, about 10-15%. So far, only the 10th gen of Intel chips have hardware patches. AMD chips are less affected in such a way, especially the current ones. Bottom line is, with Intel chips, you‘re one patch away from losing everything you gained through expensive OC.

If you only care about IL2 in VR, then get an Intel. The 9700K plus a good liquid cooler plus low latency RAM and a good motherboard for overclocking is the best option. You should be able to get 5ghz easily out of the chip, and IL2 loves frequency.

22 hours ago, ICDP said:

Dutch2, let me know your PC settings and I reproduce similar settings on my Pimax and RTX2080.  It will at least give a ballpark figure for you to see how it stacks up against your old 7700K at 5.1GHz with your 2080 Super installed.

• Your Steam VR settings (for VR resolution)
  • Il-2 BoS settings
  • Your testing methods (mission used for the test)

Use FRAPS to record your FPS on one of the included missions and I will do the same.

Thanks but I have to change to another PC as being explained above, so to compare my old 7700 to yours does not make sense for now. 

Just get a 9th gen intel chip and be happy you made the right choice for VR.

Posted (edited)

Just went for the 9700k as the non iGPU 9700KF was only €10,- cheaper. Never did used it on the 6700k and the 7700k but I know its onboard GPU can be an handy for trouble shooting. 

Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus pro, midrange board, selected by the very good VRM for the >5Ghz OC

Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB DDR4-3333 CL16 kit, because it does have an good price, speed and it is listed on the Gigabyte board. 

rest wil be re-used from my old system. 

After that it is waiting for the newly RTX2080super price drop, to replace the GTX1080, which is even when being overclocked for BoS-VR  to slow. I do hope this RTX2080super will handle this game better, as the RTX2080ti is to expensieve. 

Edited by Dutch2
  • Like 1

Best of luck Dutch and enjoy the new build.

• Like 1

Reviews I’ve read on the 2080 SUPER say it’s a bit meh for the price. Do consider the regular 2080 or the 2070 SUPER too.

On 8/18/2019 at 3:29 PM, Dutch2 said:

Just went for the 9700k as the non iGPU 9700KF was only €10,- cheaper. Never did used it on the 6700k and the 7700k but I know its onboard GPU can be an handy for trouble shooting. 

Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus pro, midrange board, selected by the very good VRM for the >5Ghz OC

Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB DDR4-3333 CL16 kit, because it does have an good price, speed and it is listed on the Gigabyte board. 

rest wil be re-used from my old system. 

After that it is waiting for the newly RTX2080super price drop, to replace the GTX1080, which is even when being overclocked for BoS-VR  to slow. I do hope this RTX2080super will handle this game better, as the RTX2080ti is to expensieve. 

Made the right choice. 👍