Sign in to follow this  
MechSauce

Looking for some help, how to utilize the pbp-1 gun sight on the IL-2 (1942)

Posted (edited)

Hello, im fairly new to  BoS world.. Im keen to learning more about Air to Ground sorties with the il2 (1942) module that came with BoS standard edition.

I tried to look for guides, youtube videos, etc but couldnt find any..

my problem here is, i have no idea where i should be aiming at when going for a 20-30 degree dive on a target.. I tried to use the bomb assist, to show me where i should be pointing.. but when i took off the bomb assist and try again..  it either over shoot or it went to the left/right.. 

i was trying to reference some of the stuff  from these videos but i just end up being confuse overall...  

heres the pbp - 1 gunsight image, unknown.png

is there any guides, videos, etc  that helped you guys? any tips and suggestions are welcome! ty

Edited by MechSauce

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MechSauce said:

my problem here is, i have no idea where i should be aiming at when going for a 20-30 degree dive on a target.. I tried to use the bomb assist, to show me where i should be pointing.. but when i took off the bomb assist and try again..  it either over shoot or it went to the left/right.. 

Well you have watched the appropriate videos.  WRT to being consistent with your bombs, it helps immensely to be consistent with your airspeed, dive angle, initial pipper placement, and release altitude.

So if you want to learn how to drop using 20-30 dive bomb parameters, practice in Quick Missions starting with a consistent roll in altitude, and a consistent entry airspeed and pickle a single bomb at a consistent altitude. Record your mission and use the bombing assist. Each time you drop, pause the game and look at your parameters (estimate your dive angle, note airspeed and release altitude). I don't spend much time in the IL-2 so these numbers are just for the sake of how to set it up (they're not actual parameters to use). So start at 1000 meters and 300 km/h, make sure you have trimmed the airplane for "hands off" flying (so it stays on altitude and airspeed). Once you have it trimmed, trim a little nose down. How much nose down? Depends on your starting altitude and dive angle. Starting at 1000 meters and 250 km/h will require more nose down than starting at 350 km/h. The idea is to trim nose down so when you put the pipper near the target you won't have to push forward on the stick (or not very much) as the airplane accelerates whilst going down hill. With a whole lot of practice, you'll start to see "the picture" and be able to be a little more flexible with your entry parameters while still arriving at the proper release parameters...it's called the TLAR (tee-lar) method for "that looks about right."

In RL we had tabular data for different bombs and different dive angles assuming an airspeed of about 480 knots. Having said all of that, in game I generally set a 5 to 10 second delay and drop from tree top height (or lower). This method realistically simulates a level weapons delivery allowing you to get away from the frag pattern when your weapon goes off (explodes).

Edited by busdriver
  • Upvote 2

On 8/11/2019 at 2:02 AM, busdriver said:

Well you have watched the appropriate videos.  WRT to being consistent with your bombs, it helps immensely to be consistent with your airspeed, dive angle, initial pipper placement, and release altitude.

So if you want to learn how to drop using 20-30 dive bomb parameters, practice in Quick Missions starting with a consistent roll in altitude, and a consistent entry airspeed and pickle a single bomb at a consistent altitude. Record your mission and use the bombing assist. Each time you drop, pause the game and look at your parameters (estimate your dive angle, note airspeed and release altitude). I don't spend much time in the IL-2 so these numbers are just for the sake of how to set it up (they're not actual parameters to use). So start at 1000 meters and 300 km/h, make sure you have trimmed the airplane for "hands off" flying (so it stays on altitude and airspeed). Once you have it trimmed, trim a little nose down. How much nose down? Depends on your starting altitude and dive angle. Starting at 1000 meters and 250 km/h will require more nose down than starting at 350 km/h. The idea is to trim nose down so when you put the pipper near the target you won't have to push forward on the stick (or not very much) as the airplane accelerates whilst going down hill. With a whole lot of practice, you'll start to see "the picture" and be able to be a little more flexible with your entry parameters while still arriving at the proper release parameters...it's called the TLAR (tee-lar) method for "that looks about right."

In RL we had tabular data for different bombs and different dive angles assuming an airspeed of about 480 knots. Having said all of that, in game I generally set a 5 to 10 second delay and drop from tree top height (or lower). This method realistically simulates a level weapons delivery allowing you to get away from the frag pattern when your weapon goes off (explodes).

Found  this very useful, thanks! i will try to take this into mind when practicing.

Posted (edited)

Here's some screenshots to give you and idea of what I was trying to describe. The shots are of an initial pass against rocket launchers in Quick Missions. I used the Moscow map and the terrain is nominally 100 meters ASL (above sea level) and I set myself up at approximately 600 meters (500 meters AGL). It's an okay starting point, not a recommendation of a tactically sound enroute altitude.

Starting with the lower left arrow then moving clockwise thru the  green arrows. I set the power to 2050 RPM, the manifold pressure to 1180 mmHg (these are safe numbers) I also closed the oil radiator as suggested in the Specifications (battle damage mitigation) leaving the water radiator at 50%. My airspeed was 350 kn/h and altitude just under 600 meters.

117856459_rangeride01.jpg.07919775f23838ab971e8f49514a922e.jpg

From that altitude I figured I could fly a comfortable 20 degree dive. I ballooned a little bit as I turned to my run-in before pushing forward  into the dive. My goal was to get the bomb to hit just short of the target and anticipating I'd make a banana pass (not holding the pipper/gun cross on the target allowing it to drift up). Making a banana pass is pretty typical, something I need to work on. I might add I had the trim at something like 55% nose down.

1807053940_rangeride02.jpg.ccde0251d068f4a526e771d84e764db2.jpg

The target is the first of 4 rocket launchers in a line. I put the center of the gun cross short of the target put FAIL to keep it short of the target.  

1456424964_rangeride03.jpg.04e24274c160a9900f0be8128a505ab0.jpg

1194895781_rangeride04.jpg.f5e027b7ed8650759d0bcaaae1d3a176.jpg

Quickly the gun cross is at the target and I should push forward to hold it there. My dive is about 20 degrees and my airspeed is over 450 km/h

925055081_rangeride05.jpg.4393c394c69318e8c292429a64146038.jpg

Quickly the gun cross drifts further away (above) the target. At this time I figure I'll pickle just as the target gets below the bottom of the sight (out of view). I have abandoned my intended disciplined attack and switched to zen bombing...or TLAR figuring (hoping) the bomb blast will kill the target.

1996967837_rangeride06.jpg.82dded911e8bb87c56b9d666b25fe1ea.jpg

467703149_rangeride07.jpg.24181f12e3589343777b6c1a5189538f.jpg

Bombs away...just a blink too late.

633830277_rangeride08.jpg.0bf123d3cfe842200394473a7eb371cb.jpg

322901048_rangeride09.jpg.f333f1d1afd64b03645fbf5ddc66102f.jpg

My bomb went long (beyond the target). I did a poor job of confirming my fuze setting on the set up screen. I'd intended to use 5 second delay but had left it at 10 seconds, so the yellow blast dome is an artifact of TacView not the actual result with me that close to the impact. I was back up at 600 meters when it finally detonated.

9497504_rangeride10.jpg.a707f8409fc21ba284c53dfa75b3e36a.jpg

1772944449_rangeride11.jpg.ba0a8f87ec56ac22a208d1a74f7e0261.jpg

943233100_rangeride12.jpg.a88e7c14859ae0acc730d6d2e2d92678.jpg

I got lucky. If you don't have TacView, I highly recommend buying it. It's a very powerful debriefing tool. 

Edited by busdriver

Posted (edited)

Once you figure out the bombing, you can then practice using the rockets in the same fashion. Here's a video I made from 3 years ago that explains how to use rockets:

It's nearly the same as @busdriver's details on bombing. And with a little practice, you can make all of your rockets count, as seen below:

Good luck!

Edited by [TWB]Sketch
  • Upvote 1

Aye, the real expert level with rockets is learning which side of the plane the next rocket will come. If its the left rocket that comes out first, aim a bit to the right and above of your target. Then a bit tot he left for the next, and so on. You can be super deadly with the Il-2 this way.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, [TWB]Sketch said:

Once you figure out the bombing, you can then practice using the rockets in the same fashion. Here's a video I made from 3 years ago that explains how to use rockets:

It's nearly the same as @busdriver's details on bombing. And with a little practice, you can make all of your rockets count, as seen below:

Good luck!

Appreciate the video! im more of a visual learner so this is very helpful! 

time to start practicing!

p.s in ur 2nd video, were you using reshade? idk why but the game looks so much clearer and better lol

@busdriver

yea i do use tacview alot in dcs.. very good tool to watch in a different perspective and how to improve on your sorties.

I was practicing a bit last night and gave level bombing a shot.. i was using this imaginary line just were the gun sight sits and above the compass.. and i was very successful with hitting targets.. almost land dead center, probably 5-10ft away is the farthest it landed from the target..  But that was with just feels, "TLAR". Ill  probably try to set up a more fixed setting were i include speed, alt into the mix.. 

anyways you both really help me alot here.. saved me a few headaches lol... i was doing it all wrong, for example in the rocket video.. i was aiming with the bottom biggest line just around the 45 to 90 degree circle. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 71st_AH_Yankee_ said:

Aye, the real expert level with rockets is learning which side of the plane the next rocket will come. If its the left rocket that comes out first, aim a bit to the right and above of your target. Then a bit tot he left for the next, and so on. You can be super deadly with the Il-2 this way.

You sound like the guys trying to make the Gunsmoke team. I on the otherhand,  just put the CCIP pipper on the truck, my bombs ALWAYS hit the ground. ;)

3 hours ago, MechSauce said:

p.s in ur 2nd video, were you using reshade? idk why but the game looks so much clearer and better lol

I don't use Reshade, but I was playing in VR. It's possible the video looked clearer because it was in 2k resolution (compressed by Youtubes to 1080p) in my Vive Pro vs 3 years ago on my 1080p monitor.