Posted (edited)

Many times I saw that people will not go VR because of the resolution.

Wait is over, HP Reverb has great resolution, you can read everything in the cockpit, clearly.

Really happy with it, same or even better performance than the Odyssey +

Took 5 minutes to install

Its very light, the Odyssey + initially was very uncomfortable, but after the velour upgrade was super comfortable.

The Reverb is comfortable (Not as much as the Odyssey + with velour though).

Colors are a bit washed out in IL2 , that its my only complaint.(3D Migoto should help solve this , but looks like you need programming skills, cant figure out how to make it work )

Sweetspot is pretty good.

FOV I dont find it different than Odyssey +, maybe a bit smaller on the vertical, not an issue really.

Ground attack is fun now, you can really see what you are attacking.

Also all the details at villages and towns, that used to be a blur.

Il2 now is , very immersive and beautiful.

Edited by II./JG77_motoadve
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

I had mine for almost a month now with no issues, though I've taken the usual precautions.  I also made a $5 Home Depot mounting post that I hang the cable above my chair so I don't feel the weight of the cable.   

I only have a 1080 and i5 6600K@4.4 Ghz so have to fly with motion reprojection in WOL, which is fine for the most part.   How does your 2080Ti handle it, do you get a smooth experience with reprojection?

Reprojection ON

Graphics at Ultra (medium shadows, no mirrors)

Very smooth and SS 188% looks amazing!

Posted (edited)

My Reverb has also been trouble free so far.  I don't use reprojection and see frame rates in the 70-80 range most of the time, using overclocked GTX 2080 Ti, i9-9900K at 5.2 GHz.  I agree the colors aren't quite right but it still looks great.  I think with the Reverb, VR has finally come of age.

Edited by jarg1
  • Like 2

It's nice when you can see the town details clearly in VR isn't it?

Love it and to over fly a transport convoy and actually see the different types of vehicles.  VR is slowly getting there.  Then there are the different cultivated fields and the forests on the hills and valleys as you fly low over them.  At alt you can see on Kuban beaches different sand colour at altitude.  The detail the devs put into this sim is amazing.  Even on Low, as you bump the res up in VR, the textures on everything comes alive.

I have to say I'm surprised that it runs ok with a 1080.  In fact in tests I did in fpsVR against a "normalized" QMB, the frametime for the GPU is only a couple milliseconds slower than my Rift.

Anyone try the 60 Hz?  I seem to get a distorted image, even in the Cliffhouse.

60HZ works butter smooth for me, when I tried with the Odyssey + I would get a distorted image, not with the Reverb.

I've been a CV1 rift user for some time now.  I loved the VR experience but what really caused problems for me was I had to wait until about 1000 meters to really ID what kind of plane it is. Not all the time if they give me a plan form I can recognize but if their aspect was near might I couldn't figure it out.  I hope that is taken care of with the higher res.  I'm waiting to build a completely new rig so i will be running a i5 3570K at 4.4 and a 1080Ti.  I hope it will limp through for a while.  Any thoughts?

5 hours ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

60HZ works butter smooth for me, when I tried with the Odyssey + I would get a distorted image, not with the Reverb.

FYI needs to restart PC on Odyssey when switching 90 to 60.

Thanks for the review! Have fun with it (if you have found convergence settings for the lefuneste's mod, please send a PM then I'll include them in the sticky thread for others to share).

I have the mod with the convergence for 5x and 10x, where in the files do I find those values.   Of course 10x with Reverb is bit of an overkill.

I am happy to see the positive feedback on the Reverb. I hope it will serve you well. It is also in my spotlight (as a replacement of my O+).

Given there is rather a high number of issues with this headset, would you please report any problems you might have?

Thanks, Milan

knock on wood, no issues at all, fixed the washed out colors by dropping gamma to .75000 in the Startup cfg file, and also using 3 D migoto.

Colors are good now.

• Like 1

How is the sweet spot? Having to move my entire head to look at gages vs just my eyes in some cases is driving me mad with a Vive Pro. 

42 minutes ago, Go_Pre said:

How is the sweet spot? Having to move my entire head to look at gages vs just my eyes in some cases is driving me mad with a Vive Pro. 

do a gearvr lense swap on your vivepro. You'll have a sweet spot across the whole FOV.

Still not been able to buy one yet! :( Not seen a way to get one in the UK. Its even been removed from the HP online store.

Motoadve - can you share the 3d Migoto color settings please.

I've had my Reverb from Amazon for almost a month now and plugged into a PCIe USB hub, and had no flickering, blackouts, etc..., of course I have the connectors taped together so they don't move.   I've got 4 days on the return window, and while I'd like v2.0, who knows when it comes out and how long I'll have to wait, so I'll probably keep it.  

4 hours ago, pomdeterre-v said:

do a gearvr lense swap on your vivepro. You'll have a sweet spot across the whole FOV.

I did just the other day...my Mongoloid eyebrow line jabs into the 3D printed adapter :( .

Moving the panel further away is an option, but at the cost of FOV. 

Otherwise, the mod is great. 

1 hour ago, Go_Pre said:

I did just the other day...my Mongoloid eyebrow line jabs into the 3D printed adapter :( .

Moving the panel further away is an option, but at the cost of FOV. 

Otherwise, the mod is great. 

interesting, in that case Index isn't for you either. At max up close and personal setting Index's lense frame is drilling holes in the eye brow line...

11 hours ago, Go_Pre said:

So I just finished some testing with the Reverb, Rift, and 1080p monitor (I had a Rift S but returned it).   

Sitting in the Mk 9 looking straight ahead with the headset at the gunsight I moved my eyes to the bottom of the cockpit to see what I could see.

Rift (156% SS)

Range dial:  Couldn't really differentiate between the 80 and 60 (I remember the in the Rift S I was just able to)

Altimeter:  Can make out the number 4, although a bit blurry

Oil pressure and oil/rad temp: All blurry, couldn't read the numbers

Reverb (188% SS to match the native resolution)

Range dial:  Could differentiate  between the 80 and 60

Altimeter:  Could make out the number 4

Oil pressure and oil/rad temp: Could read the words "oil" and "lbs," numbers on oil pressure were on the blurry side, could read the oil and rad temp numbers.  Also could just make out the words "Gallons of fuel"

1080p monitor

Range dial:  Could differentiate  between the 80 and 60, but thought the Reverb was slightly clearer, maybe because of the 3D effect of the range dial sticking out

Altimeter:  Could make out the number 4

Oil pressure and oil/rad temp: Could read the numbers, maybe 10%-20% clearer than Reverb

20 hours ago, pomdeterre-v said:

interesting, in that case Index isn't for you either. At max up close and personal setting Index's lense frame is drilling holes in the eye brow line...

Thanks for the info! I’ll skip it then. 

Looks like HP has supposedly fixed the issues and the updated Reverb is now available, on the HP site only at this time.    Mine will be coming on the 20th.  

@71st_AH_statusku,

Could you please do a visual test on a default aircraft since I don't have a MK 9 model. A sweet spot test is great but just even a clarity test fairly straight ahead - and noting whether the sun is on the panel or not (that has a huge effect on whether I can read a dial ). I have a pretty clear image with my Odyssey+ (after 1903 and fixes ) but it would be great to know just how much clearer having a Reverb would be (and $600 poorer ). Maybe also some sort of repeatable quick mission test where picking out a moderately distant target right away as it starts would be a great test. 

Thanks

Dave W.

Posted (edited)

I am happy for you. 

It is no longer available 😎

Could you please report back indicating whether it is indeed the 2nd edition?

Btw for us Europeans - I found two German retailers listing the Reverb as available. No detail as to which version though.

Milan

Edited by apollon01

Will do.  I'd be careful of buying anything from third party as they are liking Gen 1,  of course I never had any issues with my Gen 1 when you take the proper precautions.

I just ordered the Reverb pro version from HP , they say a week or so to deliver. I'm also going to buy a desktop fan to keep me cool. Glad to see your reviews, I can't wait to try it out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, whitav8 said:

@71st_AH_statusku,

Could you please do a visual test on a default aircraft since I don't have a MK 9 model. A sweet spot test is great but just even a clarity test fairly straight ahead - and noting whether the sun is on the panel or not (that has a huge effect on whether I can read a dial ). I have a pretty clear image with my Odyssey+ (after 1903 and fixes ) but it would be great to know just how much clearer having a Reverb would be (and $600 poorer ). Maybe also some sort of repeatable quick mission test where picking out a moderately distant target right away as it starts would be a great test. 

Thanks

Dave W.

Don't have the gen 1 Reverb right now having returned it, waiting for the gen 2 to arrive.

For practical purposes my Rift (and the O+) could read the main dials needed to fly, the Reverb just added some extra clarity to everything else in the cockpit.   

Spotting is about the same since that's not based on resolution, but I remember I was starting to ID with the normal game zoom without having to use the 5x zoom on Lefuneste's mod, which I absolutely needed to be competitive in MP.

Coming from the Rift it was worth the money.  Harder call for the O+.  Remember their are drawbacks like the LCD panel being more washed out than OLED, and a heavier cable tied to your headset (although I mounted a wooden rod on the back of my seat to hang the cable from so all I feel the is the headset, which is quite light). 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Heads-up for European buyers: it seems the HP Reverb hit the shops also in Europe (Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, Luxembourg, the Netherlands...).

Just google 6KP43EA#ABB.

I do hope it is the 2nd generation. Most likely I will pay a visit to the retailer here in Lux 😎 to enquire and check it out.

Edited by apollon01

12 hours ago, 71st_AH_statuskuo said:

Don't have the gen 1 Reverb right now having returned it, waiting for the gen 2 to arrive.

For practical purposes my Rift (and the O+) could read the main dials needed to fly, the Reverb just added some extra clarity to everything else in the cockpit.   

Spotting is about the same since that's not based on resolution, but I remember I was starting to ID with the normal game zoom without having to use the 5x zoom on Lefuneste's mod, which I absolutely needed to be competitive in MP.

Coming from the Rift it was worth the money.  Harder call for the O+.  Remember their are drawbacks like the LCD panel being more washed out than OLED, and a heavier cable tied to your headset (although I mounted a wooden rod on the back of my seat to hang the cable from so all I feel the is the headset, which is quite light). 

Big improvement in resolution over the O+

Definitelly worth it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

Big improvement in resolution over the O+

Definitelly worth it.

Good to hear.

I just got a confirmation from one Belgian distributor that the Reverb in their stock is indeed the 2nd gen so I will go for it - also to replace my (well serving) O+.

Btw - when replacing the O+ by the Reverb, do you just plug it in or you de-installed first the O+ software?

Thanks.

Milan

Got one yesterday finally.  Was amazed at the lack of screendoor.  No. more. screendoors for me.

• Like 4

I got my Gen2 yesterday and flew around in Berloga, put the clip on and flew for about 30 minutes without issues.   Will put it through longer flight times this weekend.

Just used the normal VR zoom in Berloga (hadn't configured Lefuneste's mod for the Reverb yet) and that was sufficient for me to ID and be competitive in that MP environment.

That's what I have now, with a I5 6600K@4.3Ghz and 3200RAM.    With SS@180% and  motion reprojection on I fly fairly comfortably in WoL which is a stressing MP environment.   Of course you get some artifacts with reprojection on.   So yes, with 1080 you can fly with a Reverb.  In fact, I'll probably upgrade my CPU next before the GPU.

For those interested in the fpsVR stats, here's a WoL mission I flew in the Gen 1 HMD.

fpsVR Report:
App: Il-2.exe HMD: HP Reverb VR Headset VR1000-2xxx
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (26.21.14.3160) CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz
Delivered fps: 44.74  Duration: 11.2min.
GPU Frametimes:
Median: 10.6 ms
99th percentile: 16 ms
99.9th percentile: 27 ms
frametime <11.1ms(vsync): 62.4%
CPU frametime:
Median: 9.7 ms
99th percentile: 18 ms
99.9th percentile: >30 ms
frametime <11.1ms(vsync): 74.8%
Max. SteamVR SS: 186%
Render resolution per eye: 2193x2149(by SteamVR settings, Max.) (HMD driver recommended: 1608x1576)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/22/2019 at 2:13 PM, ZachariasX said:

Would it work with a normal GTX 1080?

Most flight sims in VR are CPU constrained. I have tried both an Index and a Reverb on a 5720K @ 4Ghz with a 1080 (not Ti) and had no problem maintaining 45 fps with both.

The Reverb doesn't need much if any SS to look good so is not as hard to drive as you might think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I ordered my Reverb from HP and they said they'd send it out for arrival in 8-10 days, I don't remember.  Actually it went out much quicker and arrived eight days before they said to expect it.  Fast.

I'm clueless about SS and other settings.  I had to download SteamVR for WMR to get it to work but it's fine, just washed out colors.  Better gauges than my Rift but the washed out colors interfere with seeing when the bandit banks and his ID since he's hard to see in a washed out a/c against a washed out background. 

I'd like recommended graphics settings.  I have a 2080 ti and an Intel 7th gen chip and loads of memory so it's about the best you can get now.  So I'd like graphics settings for a high-end computer please if someone could advise.

Dropping the gamma value helps with the colours in my view. You can go lower than 0.8 by editing the config file.

I found some decent settings (probably on this forum!) I will find the link

Here the settings I found, apologies to the author as I can't recall where I found them:

data\Startup.cfg

[KEY = graphics]
    3dhud = 0
    adapter = 0
    bloom_enable = 0
    desktop_center = 1
    detail_rt_res = 512
    draw_distance = 0.54500
    fps_counter = 0
    fps_limit = 0
    full_height = 1080
    full_width = 1920
    fullscreen = 0
    gamma = 0.70000
    grass_distance = 0.00000
    hdr_enable = 1
    land_anisotropy = 2
    land_tex_lods = 3
    max_cache_res = 1
    max_clouds_quality = 2
    mgpu_compatible = 0
    mirrors = 2
    multisampling = 1
    or_enable = 1
    or_height = 2179
    or_hud_rad = 0.80000
    or_hud_size = 1.00000
    or_ipd = 0.06763
    or_width = 1748
    post_sharpen = 1
    preset = 2
    rescale_target = 1.00000
    shadows_quality = 3
    ssao_enable = 0
    stereo_dof = 5.00000
    vsync = 0
    win_height = 1080
    win_width = 1920
[END]

5 minutes ago, PO_Baldrick said:

Dropping the gamma value helps with the colours in my view. You can go lower than 0.8 by editing the config file.

I found some decent settings (probably on this forum!) I will find the link

On both versions of Odyssey I have found .62000 gamma works well, gets rid of a lot of the environmental haze effect. Black smoke effects look great. Certainly hope playing with gamma is similarly helpful on Reverb. I am very skeptical that any HMD that gives "washed out" colors deserves to be designated as "enterprise" grade. Seems like "enterprise" designation would mandate high quality color fidelity. Also, I can understand how someone going from an O+ to Reverb would see an increase in clarity. What I am not sure of is how the Reverb would compare to the original O.