After numerous attempts still getting a failure to update message. I have read the fix suggestions and they are incomprehensible to me. I am too old and stupid to become a techie now at the age of 74. To demonstrate this I just, mistakenly, sent this message to another complainant as a reply. All I wish to do is fly airplanes as old and decrepit as I am. The fix should come from Sturmovik or the update should be removed to allow access to the game. Soon, for the same reason I no longer purchase green bananas!          karel1

Hey Karel, don’t put yourself down, you’ve managed to find the forum, reply to someone, realise that was in the wrong place, find the right place and post a message! So you have skills :) 

The fix is actually simple but may be worded in a way you don’t quite get. Bare with me as it’s been a while since I updated and may not have it exactly right. Fundamentally you need to download a file (click on it) then unzip it which is simply a right click and choose unzip, then copy and paste that file into the folder they state. If you can navigate to this forum topic it’s the same logic to navigate to there in windows file explorer.

I’m sure there are others that can give a more detailed response but hopefully this takes away some of the techie feel to it. 

Hope you’re flying soon

Karel I also had a problum loading the update So i had to message the team ! I received this email and hope it fixes your problum like it did mine  ! 

"If you have 'failed to update' message in the launcher (if you're using non-Steam version), please close it, navigate to the installation folder of the game and open bin\game folder. 
Here is a file named rofuplib64.dll - please replace it with the one attached to this post (unzip it first of course), then run the launcher again and it should work fine - http://il2beta.s3-accelerate.amazonaws.com/IL2_Version_3102_Launcher_Fix.zip  "

• Thanks 1

I'm sorry but I should not have to download and unzip (and zip is not free, not everyone has it) some file and then copy and paste it to another folder. Some people have no idea what the heck that means and they shouldn't have to fix the game that they bought directly from the company so the company could make a little extra money and not have Steam get their cut.

This is a IL-2 problem. If the launcher is the problem then a updated launcher should be downloadable from IL-2 (as the first part of the update) that includes any fixes and the removal of the old launcher. That's just good customer support. Not making the customer fix a product that they have already been using and suddenly doesn't work any more because the developers have changed something.

Il-2 broke it, they should fix it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

@=OT=Rollie 7 Zip is free and you will need it later to install mods, aircraft skins etc.

https://download.cnet.com/7-Zip/3000-2250_4-10045185.html

With 7 Zip installed you download a file and click on "Show in Folder" tab in the download tray. That will bring up your download page with the file shown with a zipper. Left click on the file and move the cursor down to 7 Zip and a box will open to the right. Select "Extract Files" and click OK. That will expand the file to where you can then manage it. Open that file and you will have the item you are looking for. You can then copy and paste the file into the appropriate place.

I agree with you that this update process should be made more user friendly. A lot of stink has been raised over this last one and I believe the developers will address that problem in the near future.

I'm an old fart too (71) and will assist you if you need help going forward. Please don't hesitate to message me if I can help in any way.

Oh, sorry. You're not the old fart OP. I was addressing @karel1.

Edited by Gordon200
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I agree that having to use files from third party websites in order to fix problems inherent in the update is worrisome. Further, no explanation has been given as to why the latest update produced an alert in Kaspersky. Hotfixes should come directly through the game's update system and the update module should not be generating AV flags.

Edited by Dagwoodyt

Thanks for the offer to help Gordon. I do fall into the old fart category.

I can manage the update but I don't believe people should have to fix a problem caused by the developers.

Think of someone who has just purchased a new game and the first thing they have to do is fix it using third party fixes. Does not give a person a lot of faith in the game they just bought. 

Salutations Pilots and Tankers,

I can understand a measure of frustration from anyone purchasing the game for the first time. 😕

But IL2 Stumovik is a very real WIP (Work In Progress) that is continually growing (with inherent difficulties) and improving. One doesn't always know or realize this when first purchasing one of its' modules and while there may be problems encountered after a game patch (update), the developers quickly address (fix) them and get things back on track.

I fully expect there will be problems encountered with the large upcoming game update. For that matter, I would be shocked if there weren't any. Still, I'm sure even those will be corrected.

Hang in their pilots. This game is an ongoing developmental adventure. Try to enjoy the wild ride. :salute:

AFV.gif

Stick with it = OT=Rollie, lots of people will be able to help you to resolve these difficulties. The Dev Team try very hard to keep users in the loop with the weekly announcements and the  updates and hot fixes. They are a small team and things will get compromised now and again BUT in the case of the update problem, I imagine it was easier to publish a quick explanation of how to fix rather than code a hotfix. Yes I know its something that shouldn't have happened but its the internet and they are trying to provide an exceptional product which constantly evolves and has longevity.

Salute