Official Scripted Campaign "Achtung Spitfire!"

2 hours ago, Redglyph said:

Keyboard is not working well though ;)

Well I have no other idea, @LukeFF has the same issue and is a tester, hopefully he knows what to do, or who to report this to?

I hate the Auto correction of my iphone when i will write in english 

• Haha 1

I do not have the HUD hidden when I've been playing this campaign. The only things I have enabled are external views and warmed up engine. No dice - still no front lines displayed.

Hi guys,

Someone reported this at closed forum, please check if this fix your "problem" and I will talk to the team (I think I know how to fix it)

Anyone who has selected other than "Blue friendlies - Red enemies" WON'T SEE THE FRONTLINES in the briefing map (so, if they have selected "Red friendlies - Blue enemies" or "Red USSR"", they won't see the frontlines in the briefin map. If they have selected "Blue frienlies - Red enemies", they will see the frontlines in the breafing map)

NO MATTER WHAT OTHER OPTIONS ARE SELECTED here: "Show HUD by default" (only affects to the diary screen), "Instrument panel" or "Ingame messages", Players messages" or "Show kill messages".

Also does not matter what is selected in "Realism": "Object markers", "Navigation markers" or "Instrument panel"

Haash

Credits to: E69_Cananas

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, SYN_Haashashin said:

Hi guys,

Someone reported this at closed forum, please check if this fix your "problem" and I will talk to the team (I think I know how to fix it)

Anyone who has selected other than "Blue friendlies - Red enemies" WON'T SEE THE FRONTLINES in the briefing map (so, if they have selected "Red friendlies - Blue enemies" or "Red USSR"", they won't see the frontlines in the briefin map. If they have selected "Blue frienlies - Red enemies", they will see the frontlines in the breafing map)

NO MATTER WHAT OTHER OPTIONS ARE SELECTED here: "Show HUD by default" (only affects to the diary screen), "Instrument panel" or "Ingame messages", Players messages" or "Show kill messages".

Also does not matter what is selected in "Realism": "Object markers", "Navigation markers" or "Instrument panel"

Haash

Credits to: E69_Cananas

Yes this is the Problem. can you make a update for this that ist works with RED-USSR too?

On 3/20/2020 at 1:13 PM, Gazdadude said:

Is it compatible with the steam version if I buy it from the store 

A bit late...

Yes, man.

I have the game purchased in Steam so I linked account here. If you buy it, Achtung Spitfire is activated in Steam. Same with planes... Etc.

Love this Scripted campaign. Do you recommend me another one? I have only played Fortress Volga and I love this game mode.

Edited by SHURilplagiatore
Paragraphs
On 4/5/2020 at 1:04 PM, Redglyph said:

You could also put the settings back to default, first in the campaign realism options (back to normal), then in the global settings for the user interface and so on, but I guess you've already tried.

That would have fixed the problem then...

On 4/6/2020 at 3:17 PM, alpenspion said:

Yes this is the Problem. can you make a update for this that ist works with RED-USSR too?

Hi,

Can you guys try it with the new game version, should be fixed. If not I know how to fix it for next game update.

Haash

• Upvote 1

Completed! It was a nice campaign, my impressions haven't changed.

The missions are convincing from an immersion point of view, most of them start cold from the parking, and you can finish there if you want. There are other flights going on about their missions, sometimes you see them or even meet them during the flight. The time of day and the tasks are somewhat varied, nothing fancy but interesting and realistic. :) 

Sure, sometimes a surprise or a complete change of plan is nice, for example Ten Days in Autumn used it wisely. But the lack of it didn't bother me at all, I had the impression the missions were realistic, no particular drama or fuss is expected. The personal notes of the pilot adds to the overall story and is a very nice touch, there's even music to emphasize the "out-of-mission" impression.

What partly ruined my experience are these very annoying "You have landed" screens that are imposed upon the player at a random time when taxiing, causing him to crash or loop because he can't see where he goes for a long time. I came to really hate that part and almost decided not to complete the campaign. Seriously, you ignored my first comment, but get rid of this!

Then I'm not sure eveyone would appreciate it, so it's only a small suggestion: the success criteria seems easy to achieve and vague. I would sometimes wish the goal be more specific or more challenging, not only "keep your leader in sight and get back" - by the way, leaving the leader out of sight entirely or ignoring one's flight has no apparent influence on the outcome, you can really just have the mission on your own and it's still fine. The briefing could also be a little more precise about what to do. It would give more purpose.

With the new 4.005 update, which I had in the last couple of missions, those missions get even more enjoyable in the air, especially with the AA. On the last mission I got shrapnel from those and my plane was damaged, I could still land safely but man, now we really have to be cautious about them! Before they were only amusing puffs... not anymore! Paying attention to the briefing map - which are well-detailed, becomes more important now, which is good.

• Upvote 1

Hi Redglyph,

First off, thanks for your final feedback. Now let me answer some of your points.

9 hours ago, Redglyph said:

What partly ruined my experience are these very annoying "You have landed" screens that are imposed upon the player at a random time when taxiing, causing him to crash or loop because he can't see where he goes for a long time. I came to really hate that part and almost decided not to complete the campaign. Seriously, you ignored my first comment, but get rid of this!

Picture should appear 10sec after you landed, enough for breaking before taxing, its not random. Its tied to the mission success logic because all missions main objective is to survive and get back home. Its made that way so you can wait for the picture and then taxi or leave the mission, player choose. I did not ignored your comment at all, waited for the final feedback instead, but the campaign is the third part of a triology about fictional pilots that I did (Albert Life, Fritz Life and this one) so the pictures were part of its mission logics and yes some people complain about it, mostly because its resolution wont change to native motinor one but I decided already that I will think about a new thing if/when I made another one.

9 hours ago, Redglyph said:

Then I'm not sure eveyone would appreciate it, so it's only a small suggestion: the success criteria seems easy to achieve and vague. I would sometimes wish the goal be more specific or more challenging, not only "keep your leader in sight and get back" - by the way, leaving the leader out of sight entirely or ignoring one's flight has no apparent influence on the outcome, you can really just have the mission on your own and it's still fine. The briefing could also be a little more precise about what to do. It would give more purpose.

Well, main objective is to survive and get back home. To cather a bigger amount of player you have to compromise in certain areas. Not everyone want missions where you have to shoot down 2 speficic planes (just one example) to advance to next mission, I know from my own experience that after 30min of flight, getting back alive just to find out those were not the 2 planes or I got out of ammo trying to bring them down but in both cases mission is not a success...so I have to fly it again even if I dont want to. Also, keep in mind that the mission logic is built in a way that if the devs ever implement the medals and all that to Scripted Campaigns (It was done for Rise of Flight) your scores will give out medals..but its not implemented as of now and I dont know if it will be ever done but the back logic is there.

About briefings, inside the diary part normaly last paragrah is about your mission and what you would be doing but noted for future projects.

Ohh If you leave your leader and go by yourself, well...in certain missions you wont have a problem but in others I guess you would be reflying it. Note that all missions have a randomize logic for most of IA groups which means not everytime you refly the mission enemy planes will be the same model or numbers and will come from different directions with different objectives than the others. Some missions also have air battles/patrol groups that you wont see unless you get lost or separated..(Not that far from action of course, couldnt fill whole map)

10 hours ago, Redglyph said:

Sure, sometimes a surprise or a complete change of plan is nice, for example Ten Days in Autumn used it wisely.

Noted for future projects.

Haash

• Thanks 3

I meant, the change of plans may be nice but may also look out of place, it depends on the type of campaign, here I didn't miss that at all. But it's subjective I suppose, I was just mentioning that because istari6's post made me thing about it. :)

Forget what I said about briefings, longer and more detailed would probably be boring, and the way you did goes well with the flow and contains enough information, then there's also the map.

Thanks for making this campaign!

On 4/12/2020 at 10:44 PM, phoenixjohnconnor said:

Sorry if this has already been raised, but does anyone else have a bug where the canopy pops off at mission start when you try to close it? Pops off onto the ground, I mean. Thanks. 

I don't

On 4/12/2020 at 9:44 PM, phoenixjohnconnor said:

Sorry if this has already been raised, but does anyone else have a bug where the canopy pops off at mission start when you try to close it? Pops off onto the ground, I mean. Thanks. 

Never seen it before but you can report it at the tecnical issues and but reports: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/89-technical-issues-and-bug-reports/

There is a report there about this happening to the 262 so probably not related to the campaign per se.

On 4/17/2020 at 7:28 AM, SunCup said:

For my part on a mission to protect a port all the Hs 129 crashed (Alone but one) after the released their bomb.

Will test later today but if its sounds like a IA related issue but will check.

Haash

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for this amazing campaign.

I bought it moths ago, so like Spitfire and Kuban but just now started playing it.

Very nice map and campaign.

It is so cool to start exploring new map with nice campaign.

I am now at mission 13.

Edited by Mika_87
  • BlackSix changed the title to Official Scripted Campaign "Achtung Spitfire!"
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2020 at 9:22 PM, SYN_Haashashin said:

main objective is to survive and get back home

Yep, sometimes it's not so trivial task. In one of the missions, my pilot was heavily injured. Tunnel and blurry vision, his hands and legs barely responding, the engine damaged as well, and oil spots on the windshield limiting vision even more. Right in the middle of dogflight with 109 on my 6, the first idea was to bail out. Being over the enemy's territory, the perspective of getting captured by Germans not famous for treating Soviet officers well, especialy those nearly dead by wounds, or, otherwise, making your way to the Soviet positions and going back to Siberia but not to the pilot's hometown and rather to a Gulag camp as a "German spy" and an "enemy of the people" was not inspiring. :) So... my protagonist and I being both Siberians had to show the true Siberian character and do not give up until the end. 😄

Step number one: get rid of this nasty 6 but do not run into the ground.

Stet number two: at the same time, figure out where your positions are and get over the frontline despite you see almost nothing.

Step number three: go on and guess the direction to your airfield.

Step number four: go around and around to realise the runway is just next to you.

Step number five: make a perfect 3-point landing followed by an energetic groundloop and loosing parts as you're trying to get off the runway towards the parking.

Step number six: finally stop the plane and get out of it; medics should be on their way.

Step number seven: alright, you've made it! The mission is completed. Now try to stay positive. Oh boy, now you can look at the sun without getting blind! Those sneaky Germans attacking from the sun would get surprised once doctors allowed you to fly again. Your third eye is also stronger than ever.

P.S. Yes, I am enjoying role-plaing as much as shooting planes down. :) Thanks for the great campaign! Love well-made scripted campaigns.

2020_6_6__23_31_23.jpg

2020_6_6__23_31_52.jpg

Edited by 159BAG_elegz
  • Like 3

I finished the campaign just yesterday. Nice composition of missions, it was entertaining. Many missions start at parking, I like that. Spitfire is a joy to fly. The Kuban is a beautiful region contrasting so much with the war. The last mission was the pretty dramatic end for my pilot too. It was his second bailout but the last one. His own parachute was damaged by contact with his own plane. Just 8 days and 17 sorties. Pretty much like it was for many young people back to those days. Apparently, this campaign made me reflect on the war. Thanks for that! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Only finished 4 missions so far but I'm enjoying the feel of the campaign.

I couldn't understand mission 4 though which is a patrol. You are told to stay with the leader but try and shoot down at least one aircraft. When you get to the patrol area  the rest of your flight descend. You are then told to attack the nearest aircraft, but they don't do anything because all the targets are at a lot higher altitude and if you fly off on your own you are told to rejoin the flight to continue the mission! So I just rejoined the flight without attacking anything. Very strange.

Also it seem to have the problem of the AI in your flight not having any engine limits - they just take off and max the engine and there's no way to keep up with them (except cutting the first turn or two), but I believe this is a general game problem that hopeful will get fixed at some point.

2 hours ago, Tbolt47 said:

Also it seem to have the problem of the AI in your flight not having any engine limits - they just take off and max the engine and there's no way to keep up with them (except cutting the first turn or two), but I believe this is a general game problem that hopeful will get fixed at some point.

Strange, I had no problem with that as well as in a regular career for bf-109. Do you use proper rpm and boost settings according to the specification? Do you trim the plane? What are your radiator settings (40% worked for me but it's fully closed by default)? In this campaign, they keep a normal cruise speed of 240-260 mph and you can catch up even with just maximum allowed cruise settings (2650 rpm, boost +7) in some cases and the combat engine mode (2850 rpm and boost +8 or +9?) will help you for sure. I used the boost mode just a few times (boost +12 or +16? with Ctrl+B?) when I was far behind. I don't remember exact digits but you can check it out in the specification tab in the briefing or with O key. Mind the maximum time you can stay above the cruise mode. If your experience is very different from what I am saying, it must be some bug.

P.S. As I remember, AI loves to use the boost mode once it sees enemies close by and until it engages. Use it for a short time too to stay close (Ctrl+B?). Getting extra speed imediately before a fight makes sence anyway.

Edited by 159BAG_elegz
2 hours ago, 159BAG_elegz said:

Strange, I had no problem with that as well as in a regular career for bf-109. Do you use proper rpm and boost settings according to the specification? Do you trim the plane? What are your radiator settings (40% worked for me but it's fully closed by default)? In this campaign, they keep a normal cruise speed of 240-260 mph and you can catch up even with just maximum allowed cruise settings (2650 rpm, boost +7) in some cases and the combat engine mode (2850 rpm and boost +8 or +9?) will help you for sure. I used the boost mode just a few times (boost +12 or +16? with Ctrl+B?) when I was far behind. I don't remember exact digits but you can check it out in the specification tab in the briefing or with O key. Mind the maximum time you can stay above the cruise mode. If your experience is very different from what I am saying, it must be some bug.

P.S. As I remember, AI loves to use the boost mode once it sees enemies close by and until it engages. Use it for a short time too to stay close (Ctrl+B?). Getting extra speed imediately before a fight makes sence anyway.

I just finished Red Dragon before this campaign and the Il-2 was the same with other people were complaining about the same thing. The AI seem to run full boost from the take-off till they get to a good altitude which surely isn't correct. As for settings I use elevator trim and I set the radiator to keep a good temp in the engine. I was using max combat mode and was only catching up very slowly until we got to the first turn and I could cut it. 

The point is when you are going on a formation flight mission you don't take off and climb like you are scrambling to intercept an incoming target. Surely IRL they would either circle or slow down till they formed up with their flight, not let the last guy in the flight struggle to catch up.  Since the boost has a limited to I want to save my high boost for combat as that's what it's for where as the AI don't seem to care.

Edited by Tbolt47

@Tbolt47 I was flying in a formation, most of the time at least, at the cruise engine mode. Can you maintain this after you cut the first turn? I do take off almost together with the plane ahead of me at 3000 RPM +12 boost (spec tab) and then climb at 2850 RPM +9 (see spec tab again). Maybe, this is the reason why it's different for us. How do you take off and climb? I also use different elevator trim / horizontal stabiliser position (bf-109) for take off, climb, cruise and combat. All time limits are for a single continuous use only and may be repeated many times with cool down periods. Combat or internal power mode for Spit 2850 RPM +9 is 30 mins.

In my career for bf-109, in bomber cover missions, the leader does make one or two turns around airfield until bombers come. Than our flight makes series of S-turns and big circles above slow bombers. Speed is about 400-450 kmh. But in other missions, yes, AI just turns to the next waypoint, climbing up, after take off.  

Edited by 159BAG_elegz
13 hours ago, 159BAG_elegz said:

@Tbolt47 I was flying in a formation, most of the time at least, at the cruise engine mode. Can you maintain this after you cut the first turn? I do take off almost together with the plane ahead of me and then use the combat mode for climbing (as I remember, the combat mode is used for climbing too indeed). Maybe, this is the reason why it's different for us. How do you take off? I also use different elevator trim / horizontal stabiliser position (bf-109) for take off, climb, cruise and combat.

In my career for bf-109, in bomber cover missions, the leader does make one or two turns around airfield until bombers come. Than our flight makes series of S-turns and big circles above slow bombers. Speed is about 400-450 kmh. But in other missions, yes, AI just turns to the next waypoint, climbing up, after take off.  

I have no problem once I've caught them. I don't like to use combat power for climb since you've only got 5 minutes of it and I thought it's well for combat?  But due to the way they ran away from me I did use combat power for some of the climb. It's not like the Spit V struggles to climb and needs it. I could keep up with them on take-off using full boost but you only have two minutes of that so that would be pointless.

For the trim I take off with one notch of nose down but trim on a Spitfire surely isn't really going to make a difference to acceleration, the BF 109 is different because you are changing the incidence of the tail plane so that will effect drag. If anything on the Spit moving the elevator trim tab away from neutral will cause more drag but that would be a very small amount.

Edited by Tbolt47
2 hours ago, SYN_Haashashin said:

Hi guys,

There is nothing I can do with AI behavior. Please leave this topic to the discussion of the campaign and discuss AI somewhere else.

Thanks

Haash

That's why I said I believe it's a general problem that needs to be addressed, I just mentioned it in case maybe there was something I was doing wrong.

Can I ask you about that mission 4, am I doing something wrong there? It seems you either stay with the flight or you have to go off on your own if you want to get a kill?

Edited by Tbolt47
3 hours ago, SYN_Haashashin said:

Hi guys,

There is nothing I can do with AI behavior. Please leave this topic to the discussion of the campaign and discuss AI somewhere else.

Thanks

Haash

Can’t you add more waypoints at lower altitude and lower speed close to an airfield or around it? Can’t you set up a patrol/defence mode for the first waypoint above the airfield and 1 min timer?

Edited by 159BAG_elegz
1 hour ago, Tbolt47 said:

Can I ask you about that mission 4, am I doing something wrong there? It seems you either stay with the flight or you have to go off on your own if you want to get a kill?

All missions main objective is getting back alive. Killing one plane is only a secondary objective in mission 4. Next mission will unlock if you survive the sortie.

9 minutes ago, 159BAG_elegz said:

Can’t you add more waypoints at lower altitude and lower speed close to airfield or around it? Can’t you set up a patrol/defence mode for the first waypoint above the airfield and 1 min timer?

Speed is already set lowest I could. It’s an AI on take off behavior since when it’s get to a cruise alt player shouldn’t have any problem to catch up. When player is the leader, not in this campaign, you can also see the AI lagging behind at first before catching up.

Haash

38 minutes ago, SYN_Haashashin said:

All missions main objective is getting back alive. Killing one plane is only a secondary objective in mission 4. Next mission will unlock if you survive the sortie.

Haash

Thanks, it was just the mission brief was stay with your lead and try to shoot down at least one aircraft, but his altitude was so low the flight had no chance of getting near the enemy.

Odd, I can't finish the first mission of Achtung Spitfire, which is just a base transfer.  Am landing at the other airfield intact, but when I finish the mission it doesn't acknowledge it.

2 hours ago, 1foggy said:

Odd, I can't finish the first mission of Achtung Spitfire, which is just a base transfer.  Am landing at the other airfield intact, but when I finish the mission it doesn't acknowledge it.

You may be quiting the mission too quickly. Wait for the notification window to appear first. It might take 30 seconds or so to appear....

• Upvote 1
On 7/5/2020 at 7:11 AM, 1foggy said:

I've found with some missions in other campaigns sometimes doesn't register the landing for some reason so I take-off and landing again and then it sees it.

Hi all...title says it all...well almost.  Thing is, I cannot progress from this mission, despite meeting what I think the goals are, eg, today, I destroyed 3 AAA, shot down a 109...down on ammo, I bugged out for home and landed sucessfully...so heres the thing. At the screen, I get a mission failed?  Despite following the prompts throughout the mission...couldve it been the bugout that did meet some script that caused the mission fail?  Cheers in advance...

On 7/11/2020 at 1:49 PM, Deltahawkoz said:

Hi all...title says it all...well almost.  Thing is, I cannot progress from this mission, despite meeting what I think the goals are, eg, today, I destroyed 3 AAA, shot down a 109...down on ammo, I bugged out for home and landed sucessfully...so heres the thing. At the screen, I get a mission failed?  Despite following the prompts throughout the mission...couldve it been the bugout that did meet some script that caused the mission fail?  Cheers in advance...

I'm at Mission 8 now and so far no issues. Sometimes the successful landing "window" takes a bit of time to appear. I usually just land and taxi a bit away from the runway, come to a full stop and then shutdown the engine while waiting. 

Great campaign by the way! 

• 2 weeks later...

Campaign finished and definitely worth the money if you like the Spitfire MkVb. Great plane despite the limited armament. 

The only issue I had was during Mission 15. After taxiing the flight leader never asked for takeoff clearance. I restarted the mission in order to record a track for a bug report, but this time everything went fine. That was the only odd thing encountered in all of the 20 missions.

• 3 weeks later...

So I purchased "Achtung Spifire!" a while ago, but haven't gotten around to trying it out until recently.

Unfortunately, I am finding the text briefings impossible to read while in VR (on my OG Vive)!

The resolution is too low, and VR Zoom does not appear to work while the briefing is open.

With the other campaigns (eg. BlackSix), all briefings are in the campaign menu, and I am able to read those fine, as text is scaled up.

I'll probably have to wait for a better HMD... or switch back and forth between Flatscreen / VR (although that won't work well if there are any briefings post-takeoff)

Edited by Pheo
grammar
  • 5 weeks later...

Awesome campaign. I'm really enjoying it but have now come across a snag that is really annoying. I'm on mission 10 'Lone Recon'. I've done the mission several times now but keep taking the mission. I'm doing the camera run fine but can't seem to find a German plane to shoot down which is why I assume I'm falling it. I've even gone so far as flying all around the map including over the German bases out west but no luck. 

I would love it if someone could offer any suggestions.

Cheers

Edit: Soooo, it turns out there's no enemy aircraft or at least none that I could find. I think what I was doing wrong was flying too high for the camera run. The mission ststed to fly under 250 meters which is around 700 feet. I flew at 500 feet. I think it should be below 250 feet as when I did it at 200 feet I passed the mission. Hope this helps anyone else having this issue. Cheers

Edited by Lord_Flasheart
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Fantastic campaign, really enjoying it. Just thought I'd let you know about a couple of little bugs I have found recently.

On the way to target the flight only wants to do approximately 185 mph which seems way too slow.

In a couple of the later missions, 17 and 18 from memory, I have found some problems. In 17 we are attacking some artillery and we get attacked by 109's after our first run. So we clear them out and instead of going back to attacking the artillery or heading home due to lack of ammo, my flight just do lap after lap around the target not attacking nor heading home.

Mission 18 is similar in that we are covering for some IL2's attacking a bridge. We get attacked by 109's which we get rid of. During the 109 attack I noticed the IL2's were attacking the bridge but as soon as they 109's are gone they just start doing laps around the target without attacking it.

In both cases I realized there was a problem and headed home, landed and the mission ends successfully so it's not a real problem but I thought I would let you know.

Thanks again for a great campaign.

• Thanks 1