Sign in to follow this  
Eisenfaustus

IL2 46 Radio commands

A new AI guy ob the Dev Team made me think if after dog fighting behaviour communication with AI could be improved as well.  

If communications were as they were in '46 (with ai reacting correctly of course) I'd be quite happy and it'd be a huge step up from now. 

But this would necessitate new voice recording - which is a cost factor. But IL2 46 had terrific radio traffic already which obviously property of 1C so could legally be implemented for no additional cost. 

I can't speak for English or Russian voices but I loved German radio traffic. One of the speakers had a moderate Frankish accent which made the voices feel very natural - simply awesome!

Are there any reasons why these voice commands and radio traffic could not be implemented when a dedicated AI programmer could alter corresponding AI routines accordingly?

• Upvote 2

On 8/4/2019 at 1:41 PM, Eisenfaustus said:

A new AI guy ob the Dev Team made me think if after dog fighting behaviour communication with AI could be improved as well.  

If communications were as they were in '46 (with ai reacting correctly of course) I'd be quite happy and it'd be a huge step up from now. 

But this would necessitate new voice recording - which is a cost factor. But IL2 46 had terrific radio traffic already which obviously property of 1C so could legally be implemented for no additional cost. 

I can't speak for English or Russian voices but I loved German radio traffic. One of the speakers had a moderate Frankish accent which made the voices feel very natural - simply awesome!

Are there any reasons why these voice commands and radio traffic could not be implemented when a dedicated AI programmer could alter corresponding AI routines accordingly?

Yeah I basically made the same thread like a couple days ago. Definitely would love to see 1946's radio system implemented. We need better commands than just attack air targets, or attack ground targets. Hell half the of them are the same command.

• Upvote 2

When I was in Grade 1, I would frequently play Pacific Fighters and would commonly like saying: Go Around. Go-Around!

I like the radio comms in Il-2 1946. My other favorite was " Stay with your later leader. Stay on course!" I really liked the others like" Attention, beginning our attack run... Commence the attack." " I'm on fire, bailing out!". You could request for help in returning to base, wingmen commands, giving orders to start the engines. A lot of these radio comms were greatly improved in Cliffs of Dover with more detail, example, you can request if, and where air targets are. The tower saying " Aircraft out in front, you are cleared for takeoff." " This is... leader, my engine's dead, I have to leave the party."

In IL-2 Great Battles we see a VERY minimal amount of radio communication. It's all automatic you can't request vectors to base, announce an attack run, etc. I hope that when the Bodenplatte map, as well as American and British pilot voices are released, we can have updated radio comms.

We'll see what the devs come up with when the new British and US voices get added.  If they decide to stick with the same level of quality that we have now, then it is fair to say that the days of useful and engaging coms are long gone and won't be coming back.

• Upvote 1

My favourite voice line trigger in Il-2 1946 was doing wild maneuvers in the Il-2 itself, if you had a gunner on board they would voice their... poor satisfaction with your flying

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, =621=Samikatz said:

My favourite voice line trigger in Il-2 1946 was doing wild maneuvers in the Il-2 itself, if you had a gunner on board they would voice their... poor satisfaction with your flying

Me too. 

On 8/4/2019 at 7:41 PM, Eisenfaustus said:

One of the speakers had a moderate Frankish accent

No,it was not me (Ich war des ned):negative:

• Haha 1

On 8/5/2019 at 11:55 PM, Feathered_IV said:

We'll see what the devs come up with when the new British and US voices get added.  If they decide to stick with the same level of quality that we have now, then it is fair to say that the days of useful and engaging coms are long gone and won't be coming back.

Right just like the AI would never get worked on, the view distances are a massive detriment and an engine limitation that will never get fixed, the list truly goes on forever. Must be tough being this pessimistic all the time. 🙄

• Upvote 1

Well look.  I do happen to think it extremely unlikely that the radio callouts will be redesigned.  Especially now that there are four nationalities to re-record if they did.  The odds are against it.  Especially after it has already been said by the producer of the game that there is no time or money to expand upon the current design “so do not ask”.  Feel free to take a screenshot of my comment and keep it on your desktop though.  You can hit me over the head with it later if I’m wrong. ;)