Sign in to follow this  
B12

State of play of FC today is

Just an observation guys before the loyal fans here come out with the pitchforks ... apart from the map, we are now up to speed for all Flying Circus Vol 1 aircraft ever will be for long term developer commitment, if you look at the forum infrastructure, then look at the Great Battles one, lots of sub forums ,,, this is their concentration of work, none here on Flying Circus, none on Tank Crew dedicated forum there here either, its if they don't really care about us ... hate to say it, but where is the love for Flying Circus in particular? Its not in the new 2 seater AI Gunning, in fact all the AI from Flying Circus AI is totally abysmal, it really is :(

The Map too, its only potential saving grace, its crazy how long this is taking and all we've seen is just a few city scape scenes, many enthusiasts have asked about 3 D trenches, that should be possible, but guys in here are all ready pepping up to defend the devs if that does not happen ... this is almost 2020, it happens in lots of games and sims, it really does ... why do we we create arguments amongst each other when legitimate complaints are raised? Why cant we work together as fellow flight simmers to help prod the producers in the right direction sometimes?

Nobody has been in to say ... hey Guys, sorry for your concerns, but, here is XYZ of how we intend to go forth with Flying Circus, we hear your concerns about the AI and more, there has been nothing like that, same for the map concerns ... the map i hate to say was same team who did a bad map for DCS and wont be hired there again.

We've just been totally ignored and left to argue amongst our selves :(

Its very strange, but what can you do?

For what its worth I think the AI in Flying Circus is ludicrous, not just the 2 seater rear gunners and for the many reasons the good enthusiasts here have described, but also the AI even before the 2 seaters ... Its just so repetitive, so simplistic, so predictable ... some of you guys must have tried Wings over Flanders Field ... OK, the graphics are nowhere as sexy as Flying Circus. but OMG the AI enemy is light years ahead, it really is.

I hate fall outs, don't want banned, but as you can see, a legit customer with my purchases who just wants a bit more transparency with where we are going for Flying Circus in particular.

• Upvote 1

Technically FC hasn't been released yet so it's only fair to at least wait until then before final jugement, could be a tweak or two yet..

The map I guess will be out before or shortly after the end of the year - I'm hopeful it'll be good.

As for the forum maybe we'll get more sections after the game's released officially, and / or there's enough traffic to justify sub-sections.

I can't speak for the devs obviously, but I get the impression they decided on FC as much for the loyal and ex-RoF'ers as for the best marketing decision for themselves. On the other hand it could all be a cunning ploy to get us ww1 fanboys into Great Battles.. spending some $ along the way. It worked on me the swines !

It's brought ww1 simming into the current age, including the 'biggie' VR, although I'll not be getting a headset.

But personally, I'd rather they'd continued RoF development, I still believe that game is so beautiful it can still be revived.

Forget pixels, RoF has a subtle beauty about it that FC hasn't been able to recreate.

S!

The FM of the Fokker Dr.I is not final, there's an overheating bug on the Albatros D.Va which wasn't present in Rise of Flight and there are a few issues with the newly released two-seater gunner turrets movement, hitboxes and animations in multiplayer.

The AI is pretty bad, in general. Personally I don't care as my main focus is multiplayer, but that's no excuse for it to be bad. The gunner AI is far more of a concern to me as it can be used in multiplayer and is at times far too accurate. This I do care about as I simply don't want to see AI being anything other than a placeholder for a human gunner. This also affects WWII in a very significant way, as fighters tend to avoid bombers altogether.

We've only seen screenshots of the Arras map so far. In my opinion they look quite good. I don't have extremely high expectations of the trenches, but I hope for a visual improvement over Rise of Flight. I hope the ambient flak will be a thing of the past and that flak itself will lose its laser-like accuracy.

I expect improvements on all these points, if not at release, then at least down the line. If none of these points are addressed, it will have an impact on the success of a possible Volume 2.

There. Is that critical enough for you?

What else do you expect us to do but to report bugs, show patience and above all have enthusiasm for the product? I really don't get the "bad devs, no biscuits" mentality. This is not Apple competing with Samsung over what $1000 phone gets shoved down our throats this semester. Nobody is getting rich off this, not even at $80. How I wish it were the case, and I think many here would consider a career in flightsim development.

Okay, okay, I'll step away from the pitchfork. Yes, more dev communication with us on this forum would be nice, but I would much prefer for them to spend their time actually developing. As for the Flying Circus forum not having subforums, Hallelujah! The last thing we need is more subforum clutter. File this under Flying Circus > Developer Feedback > Constructive Criticism.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

I don't think the communication efforts of the devs can be questioned. They're pretty active in the forum and the DD's keep us up to date with development regularly.

There was that 'suggestions survey' a while back mind you...  :P

Every couple of weeks we get a pretty serious dev diary and at least some of that diary is devoted to Flying Circus. FC actually got all of its aircraft first before Bodenplatte and before Tank Crew got all of its tanks. Obvious reasons why (virtue of rebuilding rather than creating from scratch) but that together with at least some tweaks for the FC birds and some effort into things like new gun sounds, new FC specific features (revolvers and handguns, scarfs from before, etc.) all suggest to me that the dev team is working through their plan to bring a proper WWI experience to IL-2: GBS and to make sure that Flying Circus is up to par.

The biggest issue for single player right now is the AI. They are especially bad with the Flying Circus aircraft for some reason although you can still have passable dogfights with them. In the last dev diary it was announced that they had hired a new AI programmer and that this person would be working on the dogfight AI. Presumably for WWII and WWI (or maybe its just one AI with branches I don't know). I suspect this was always part of the plan but sometimes it can be hard to find the right person to do the job.

There are other things like we haven't seen the full map yet but I have high hopes that it will look good when they do reveal it.

IMHO I think it's good to air concerns and be critical but also put things into context. FC is still a work in progress, not released, title and that means that we don't have the whole picture yet. Almost all of the IL-2 series releases using this same formula haven't really come clearly into view until the last patch or the second to last patch. There are so many interconnected components that you have to wait until they are all in place before making a judgement. You can bet that I'll be writing a full review of Flying Circus Vol 1 once it's officially released and "done" but its awfully hard to do that right now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

But personally, I'd rather they'd continued RoF development, I still believe that game is so beautiful it can still be revived.

Forget pixels, RoF has a subtle beauty about it that FC hasn't been able to recreate.

It's dead software man, sometimes you just have to move ahead. It would be unreasonable to maintain two code bases for similar games. It would sink both ships.

As for the subtle beauty of ROF... there may be other things at play, but I think the main issue in FC is you get the feeling you're taking off for a ride in a vintage airplane, you're not there and then back in 1914-1918. And that's got everything to do with the map - we need that map!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

FC was never really aimed at singleplayer customers from the outset.  I recall Jason saying something about it being principally intended for bringing WW1 planes into VR.

5 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

FC was never really aimed at singleplayer customers from the outset.  I recall Jason saying something about it being principally intended for bringing WW1 planes into VR.

Is there any particular reason why VR users should be less likely to fly singleplayer than the rest of the customer base?

22 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

He also said that a good singleplayer base insures the success of the product.

Edited by HiIIBiIIy

Blah, blah , blah, blah, blah...

PS.  I don't expect to spend much time in or near trenches... I have generally found  it advisable to spend ones time 1000 meters or more above them.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, B12 said:

You could start by paying a bit more attention to the Development Diary updates.

• Like 1

If I had a dollar for everytime I had to remind folks that this is just early access beta phase....

I'd have about ten dollars. 

I just appreciate that we can actually fly these planes in a new environment where they all look absolutely amazing. 

Forum subsections? Who cares. More important things to work on.

Same thing I constantly tell my wife: "you need to just calm down."

(It only ever makes things worse)😳

Edited by US103_Talbot
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, J5_Baeumer said:

Blah, blah , blah, blah, blah...

PS.  I don't expect to spend much time in or near trenches... I have generally found  it advisable to spend ones time 1000 meters or more above them.  

What about people who are trying to simulate a historical WWI experience by flying aeroplanes that were used for attacking the enemys supply columns plus trench strafing etc?

It's not always about getting your MP kill count to look good. 

• Upvote 5

Thus brings up another question: 

What will be the animation of the dying cow? Will they fall over the same way every time? Will they decay with time or will villagers come forth from homes to collect the meat? Will there be herds? Will the herds adapt and run at the sound of the plane engine? Will there be a bag limit like hunting deer, elk, or turkey? Will I need a specific license for hunting cows or will a standard livestock permit do? 

I DEMAND ANSWERS.

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, US103_Talbot said:

Same thing I constantly tell my wife: "you need to just calm down."

(It only ever makes things worse)😳

I'm not surprised: to any literate person there's nothing more grating than a split infinitive.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Elsewhere Jason is quoted as having said that the vast majority of play takes place off-line. If that's correct (and a clarification would be welcome), it's hard to accept that FC was aimed at the multiplayer crowd.

15 hours ago, B12 said:

Just an observation guys before the loyal fans here come out with the pitchforks ... apart from the map, we are now up to speed for all Flying Circus Vol 1 aircraft ever will be for long term developer commitment, if you look at the forum infrastructure, then look at the Great Battles one, lots of sub forums ,,, this is their concentration of work, none here on Flying Circus, none on Tank Crew dedicated forum there here either, its if they don't really care about us ... hate to say it, but where is the love for Flying Circus in particular? Its not in the new 2 seater AI Gunning, in fact all the AI from Flying Circus AI is totally abysmal, it really is :(

The Map too, its only potential saving grace, its crazy how long this is taking and all we've seen is just a few city scape scenes, many enthusiasts have asked about 3 D trenches, that should be possible, but guys in here are all ready pepping up to defend the devs if that does not happen ... this is almost 2020, it happens in lots of games and sims, it really does ... why do we we create arguments amongst each other when legitimate complaints are raised? Why cant we work together as fellow flight simmers to help prod the producers in the right direction sometimes?

Nobody has been in to say ... hey Guys, sorry for your concerns, but, here is XYZ of how we intend to go forth with Flying Circus, we hear your concerns about the AI and more, there has been nothing like that, same for the map concerns ... the map i hate to say was same team who did a bad map for DCS and wont be hired there again.

We've just been totally ignored and left to argue amongst our selves :(

For what its worth I think the AI in Flying Circus is ludicrous, not just the 2 seater rear gunners and for the many reasons the good enthusiasts here have described, but also the AI even before the 2 seaters ... Its just so repetitive, so simplistic, so predictable ... some of you guys must have tried Wings over Flanders Field ... OK, the graphics are nowhere as sexy as Flying Circus. but OMG the AI enemy is light years ahead, it really is.

I hate fall outs, don't want banned, but as you can see, a legit customer with my purchases who just wants a bit more transparency with where we are going for Flying Circus in particular.

There is a very simple solution to this problem.  Unfortunately, I can't tell you what it is.

Dude, you made a similar post just over a month ago.  I’m not sure what you were expecting to happen with FC in a few weeks, just try and have a bit of patience.

If you’re not able to be patient, then I’m not sure buying early access products is for you mate.

17 minutes ago, scram77 said:

Dude, you made a similar post just over a month ago.  I’m not sure what you were expecting to happen with FC in a few weeks, just try and have a bit of patience.

If you’re not able to be patient, then I’m not sure buying early access products is for you mate.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, US103_Talbot said:

I bet your alot of fun at party's; aL.

Since you raise the subject you'll be glad to know you're absolutely right. At such gatherings it's reassuring that I am not going to meet anyone who thinks

"your" and "you're" are interchangeable, 'alot' is an English word, an apostrophe is used to pluralise a noun or the plural of 'party' is anything but 'parties'.

Perhaps we should marvel at how this game allows hygenic contact between different worlds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4