Gungriffen

Why do all flight sims refuse to adopt voice chat?!

Seriously!
I love flight sims (I'm sitting at around $2k in flight equipment and software so I'm invested) but I have found the lack of voice chat in a genre that borderlines require it very strange.
No IL2 title, Digital Combat Simulator, or even War Thunder has the basic 1997 ability to push to talk when in reality we should have fully simulated radio systems!
Typing while dog fighting use to be completely unreasonable but now that I've switched to VR it's an impossibility to fight and type as I can't see the keyboard requiring me to use the thing like a blind person reading brail.
This genre relys on 3rd party systems like Teamspeak and Discord yet it's not uncommon to join a server of 55+ players and only 8 total for both teams on the 3rd party software, even worse in DCS where you need a complete mod called Simple Radio installed as well as Teamspeak up and plug in running. The lack of ability to ask "Is there a friendly in 0222" before flying 15 minutes to find out or to call for help while dog fighting or clarify if you're the one gunning or being gunned when help arrives, or to say "I lost you in the clouds what altitude/heading are you?" seems as basic as having the ability to map keys yet here we are.

My setup says "Come fly."
But the games punishes me for VR.

38920995_218720728794457_585456243477315584_n.jpg

Posted (edited)

"Fully simulated radio systems" of WWII would hardly be the way for lone wolves to call for help or ask if there is a friendly in 0222, though. It sounds more likely that you are asking for a general in-game voice chat, which is probably not high on the developers priority list, when there are fully functional and usable third party systems available like Teamspeak or Discord. There is even an "Official Teamspeak Server for BoS", a pinned topic in Multiplayer section.

If you really are hoping for "simulated radio systems", then hopefully this upcoming air marshal feature will bring us some WWII type air warfare coordination, even if not by voice chat. For DCS, though, which takes pride in simulating all the systems, having this Simple Radio mod as part of the core game would indeed be great. It would be nice for this game also, of course, but I think that lots of other things are higher on the priority list.

Edit: Just noticed that this topic was in CloD section and not BoS, so can skip my comment about "Official Teamspeak Server for BoS" or air marshal feature, but otherwise the point remains. There is also no "0222" grid in CloD and the point about VR does not seem to match with CloD, so maybe it was just posted in the wrong section.

Edited by II./JG77_Kemp

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, II./JG77_Kemp said:

"Just noticed that this topic was in CloD section and not BoS, so can skip my comment about "Official Teamspeak Server for BoS" or air marshal feature, but otherwise the point remains. There is also no "0222" grid in CloD and the point about VR does not seem to match with CloD, so maybe it was just posted in the wrong section."

Yeah, I made a mistake on the topic location, I meant BOS but CloD could use a VOIP itself as well.

Edited by Gungriffen

Posted (edited)

Even if DCS has no internal voice chat yet
almost every server has SRS  and 
It's a start :)

Edited by Hobel
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I think also part of the problem is having control on muting people, or you get alot of annoying people of chat talking about unrelated stuff, that is always an issue with in game chat software, people going off topic on tangents and background noise , can get real annoying fast. Not everyone wants to be in the "crowd" of talkers you sometimes get.

How do you control keeping it on topic. 

Discussions on how to setup the game , troubleshoot the game , how cool is my dog ,flaming people,  eating noises, etc are not wanted in multiplayer by a lot of us.

(there is a place for those things, just not in my game please...)

Its bad enough in some servers with txt chat , imagine that with voice....

It's why alot of people hate general voice channels.

The people that are on coms flying as a squad generally use chat software because they fly with people the have coms etiquette and work well together.

In a war also you got to know the people and build trust and you had to back each other up , real life death is a big motivator (unlike in a computer game flying with people in mplayer you have never met  or flown with before is quite common).

What may be of more use is a better way in game of calling alerts and stuff without having to type for people on your team but not in you coms chat .

Also in war time pilots generally had radio silence, in flight intel was not like pilots on discord with each other, back in the day, they also were flying planed missions... , It was not like it is in  modern day with digital encrypted coms. A flight leader and discipline were in evolved to keep coms in check...(we don;t have that in a game, because we are not part of the military like it was in WW2)

The flight leader can't spank you for being naughty when you land... 🙂

Edited by =RS=Stix_09

On 8/2/2019 at 6:02 AM, Gungriffen said:

I meant BOS but CloD could use a VOIP itself as well.

:nea:CloD engine code already have more problems than is possible fix in this century for worth venture include there a VOIP. ;)

A curious thing is that early original IL-2 (2001-2004) came with VOIP embed, I and a friend are able to use sometimes, latter became broken.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Sokol1 said:

A curious thing is that early original IL-2 (2001-2004) came with VOIP embed, I and a friend are able to use sometimes, latter became broken.

I think the conf.ini file in Cliffs still has the settings for this right at the bottom of it even though the feature no longer exists. Crazy :wacko:

Edited by ATAG_kiwiflieger

Posted (edited)

Yes, this lines

PTTMode=1
RadioFlags.PTTMode=0
RadioFlags.PlayClicks=1
ActLevel=9
MicLevel=10

I think they are related this (useless) commands:

Decrease Radio Transceiver Frequency

Increase Radio Transceiver Frequency

This commands work in Fiat Br.20 navigator cockpit:

Br-20.jpg

In an instrument above mouse pop-up say: "Push to Talk: 412 Khz".

Obvious, nothing happens. 😜

Well, if CloD was released in "Beta 1" status, Fiat Br.20 (and G.50) came in "pre-Alpha 1" status, so now this is "a mistery for eternity"😀

Edited by Sokol1

I always thought it'd be nice to have a typing-free system to send frequently used messages, such as reporting enemy contacts and such. 

Cliffs of Dover has a similar system on the alt-key menu, yet there too it is not actually useful for communicating to other players.

It would be nice to have some similar menu where you could quickly send your team a message without having to let go of the stick to type it. 

Unhanding the flight controls to type "HELP!" with a 109 shooting off your tail isn't really very good for the upkeep of your plane.

On 8/7/2019 at 10:31 PM, =RS=Stix_09 said:

I think also part of the problem is having control on muting people, or you get alot of annoying people of chat talking about unrelated stuff, that is always an issue with in game chat software, people going off topic on tangents and background noise , can get real annoying fast. Not everyone wants to be in the "crowd" of talkers you sometimes get.

How do you control keeping it on topic. 

Discussions on how to setup the game , troubleshoot the game , how cool is my dog ,flaming people,  eating noises, etc are not wanted in multiplayer by a lot of us.

(there is a place for those things, just not in my game please...)

Its bad enough in some servers with txt chat , imagine that with voice....

It's why alot of people hate general voice channels.

The people that are on coms flying as a squad generally use chat software because they fly with people the have coms etiquette and work well together.

In a war also you got to know the people and build trust and you had to back each other up , real life death is a big motivator (unlike in a computer game flying with people in mplayer you have never met  or flown with before is quite common).

What may be of more use is a better way in game of calling alerts and stuff without having to type for people on your team but not in you coms chat .

Also in war time pilots generally had radio silence, in flight intel was not like pilots on discord with each other, back in the day, they also were flying planed missions... , It was not like it is in  modern day with digital encrypted coms. A flight leader and discipline were in evolved to keep coms in check...(we don;t have that in a game, because we are not part of the military like it was in WW2)

The flight leader can't spank you for being naughty when you land... 🙂

Literally every game with voip in the last 10 years lets you mute individuals who annoy you. Literally a basic feature of voip. So your entire essay on how voice comms suck is completely irrelevant since a mute feature would almost certainly be available.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, JonRedcorn said:

Literally every game with voip in the last 10 years lets you mute individuals who annoy you. Literally a basic feature of voip. So your entire essay on how voice comms suck is completely irrelevant since a mute feature would almost certainly be available.

I did not say voice coms suck, thats a misinterpretation of what I said. I use voice coms to great effect. My point was about problems of putting voice coms in a sim with everyone on same team in one channel. 40+ people in a voice chat is not a great solution and not required. And if yuu have to mute 20 of those people whats the point of it.

There are plenty of voice coms options. For teams you don't need an everyone on one voice channel. Just better ways to communicate with others in the team not in the voice chat your squad is using....(other team members not directly flying with you don't require the same level of communication)

Edited by =RS=Stix_09

Someone should make an Teamspeak plugin equivalent of that one for ArmA called Task Force Radio.

• Upvote 3