Docolli

Can't remove the tick "mod activated" - most multiplayer servers are hidden

I have the problem that with each restart a tick with "mods activate" is set. So it is impossible for me to play with most multiplayer servers. Also, if I removed the tick and restart, the mods remain activated. How can I change this?

1 hour ago, Docolli said:

I have the problem that with each restart a tick with "mods activate" is set. So it is impossible for me to play with most multiplayer servers. Also, if I removed the tick and restart, the mods remain activated. How can I change this?

Have you tried uninstalling the mods you have and then unclicking the box? Might be a pain in the butt but then again it might work.

Thanks a lot for your fast and nice answer. I tried it but did not work. I think the best thing is the reinstallation and before to secure the important things like skins and input. Or is there another way to disable the mods? It is probably only one bit in the config.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Docolli said:

try in startup.cfg  ("\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\startup.cfg")

open it with txt editor ( notepad is enough )find word  "modes" and replace 1 with 0 , save file

modes = 0

Edited by 307_Tomcat

It's really sad that more than a year after having mods available in IL-2 Great Battles, the Server Lists are still separated.

Would be much better if there would be one large list for both mods enabled and disabled servers - or maybe separate lists as a Client side option.

That way both mods enabled and "stock" users would always see the full picture of available online hosts and their population.

Additionally, "stock" clients could join "mods enabled" servers, because there's really nothing that speaks against doing so.

The only thing that naturally won't work would be "mods enabled" clients on "stock" servers.

But there's really, really no need and no reason to keep both flavours of the same game that much separated as if they would live in two completely unrelated universes.

:drinks:

Mike

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

The truth is nobody will ever play online with mods enabled because there aren’t enough people who play online to have a variety of servers like that. 

The vast majority of the time every player is on a single server Wings of Liberty. It has a sort of monopoly over MP and that is not likely to change. 

RoF has mods available and through its whole history there were hardly ever any mods running servers. Same will be the case with IL-2

This isn’t a AAA first person shooter with hundreds of thousands of players. It’s a niche game which at the most has about a hundred people online and an average of about 40. Not enough to even support two servers. 

Edited by SharpeXB

On 8/2/2019 at 3:11 PM, SAS_Storebror said:

It's really sad that more than a year after having mods available in IL-2 Great Battles, the Server Lists are still separated.

Would be much better if there would be one large list for both mods enabled and disabled servers - or maybe separate lists as a Client side option.

That way both mods enabled and "stock" users would always see the full picture of available online hosts and their population.

Additionally, "stock" clients could join "mods enabled" servers, because there's really nothing that speaks against doing so.

The only thing that naturally won't work would be "mods enabled" clients on "stock" servers.

But there's really, really no need and no reason to keep both flavours of the same game that much separated as if they would live in two completely unrelated universes.

Mike

It was easy to predict, I said that long before they started the work it's a waste of resources which could be better utilized (more players playing coops and mods) if we would have one multiplayer game  browser. Just  coping things which doesn't work is not good idea, but we all do mistakes, one who win do less ;)

• Upvote 1

On 8/2/2019 at 5:34 PM, SharpeXB said:

The truth is nobody will ever play online with mods enabled

I do and I'm not alone.

It's just that the choice could be much easier if we had one big list.

It would be no loss for anyone me thinks.

Typical win-win situation, it's just a matter of doing it.

Mike

• Upvote 1

Since the game is set up to only run in a mode on or off mode I don’t know how combining the server lists would be possible. And with hardly anyone playing with mods online it wouldn’t be worth the work to rewrite that part of the game. It’s been this way since RoF so not likely to change IMO. 

On 8/1/2019 at 3:22 PM, Docolli said:

Or is there another way to disable the mods? 

Many use this JSGME. Works pretty well 

https://www.filecroco.com/download-jsgme/

4 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

Since the game is set up to only run in a mode on or off mode I don’t know how combining the server lists would be possible.

There's no dependency between the two.

You can just have one big list of available servers with e.g. an Icon showing whether the server has mods enabled or not.

Players with mods on could join mods enabled servers only (as is right now) but would see other available ("mods off") servers too.

Players with mods off could - preferably - join both "mods on" and "mods off" servers. Because... why not?

I bet my mother's butt that on the master server itself, all servers - mods off and mods on - go into one big list already right now, and the game pre-filters that list and only shows you the matching part right now. That's the only thing that would have to be changed: Show the full list, but limit the "joinable" servers.

Should be a really tiny change IMHO.

with hardly anyone playing with mods online

For one this isn't really true, and second it could easily become a self-fulfilling prophecy if the game keeps the lists separated.

Mike

5 hours ago, SAS_Storebror said:

Players with mods on could join mods enabled servers only (as is right now) but would see other available ("mods off") servers too.

Players with mods off could - preferably - join both "mods on" and "mods off" servers. Because... why not?I

But you would have to exit and restart the game so why would it matter? If you want to play mods on just start the game in that mode and look for servers. 

On 8/5/2019 at 1:35 PM, SharpeXB said:

But you would have to exit and restart the game so why would it matter? If you want to play mods on just start the game in that mode and look for servers. 

No you wouldn't have to restart the game ,the switch should be trigger on the fly , and next step should be mods download from server to client if necessary.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, 307_Tomcat said:

No you wouldn't have to restart the game ,the switch should be trigger on the fly , and next step should be mods download from server to client if necessary.

Currently you have to restart the game to turn Mods on. So... yes you would. 

I dont one think I would ever want mods installed on me unless I knew exactly what they were. 

How do do you know what mods a server is running? Are they specific or does it just allow any mods you might have? Everyone is flying with different mods?

Edited by SharpeXB

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, 307_Tomcat said:

and next step should be mods download from server to client if necessary.

Nope.  Not how mods on mode works.

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

I dont one think I would ever want mods installed on me unless I knew exactly what they were. 

How do do you know what mods a server is running? Are they specific or does it just allow any mods you might have? Everyone is flying with different mods?

My squad runs it's coops in mods on mode.  This means the server is running it's game in mods on mode.  The server has no mods installed whatsoever.  The server has no control over what mods the clients are running.

Some of our guys run no mods at all.  Some run lots, so everyone in our coops or dogfight server are flying with different mods.   There is no way for the server to limit or restrict mods when it is in mods on mode.  It's all or nothing and all mods are client side.

Edited by DD_Arthur

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

Nope.  Not how mods on mode works.

My squad runs it's coops in mods on mode.  This means the server is running it's game in mods on mode.  The server has no mods installed whatsoever.  The server has no control over what mods the clients are running.

Some of our guys run no mods at all.  Some run lots, so everyone in our coops or dogfight server are flying with different mods.   There is no way for the server to limit or restrict mods when it is in mods on mode.  It's all or nothing and all mods are client side.

That is bad , because without server  check ,users can cheat and did what I know from past experience.  Moreover there are only server mods in ROF so in theory can be made in Il2GB. You guys should know that mods mode should be rethink and implement again to not be dead like they are know . Some mods like objects used in mission you need to have them for mission to work, others like textures  you don't , other need to be running only on server side - like lethality mod . It's a mess atm.

Server browse would list mods and you can accept it by connecting.

Edited by 307_Tomcat

3 hours ago, 307_Tomcat said:

That is bad , because without server  check ,users can cheat and did what I know from past experience.  Moreover there are only server mods in ROF so in theory can be made in Il2GB.

No, thats not true either.  Cheating in RoF and in GBS has nothing to do with mods and never has done.

The Mods On/Mods Off mode actually works very well.  The problem is the community thinks mods = potential hacks.  This might be true about other games but is mainly a legacy from IL2 1946 and the consequences of the original sound mod.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

No, thats not true either.  Cheating in RoF and in GBS has nothing to do with mods and never has done.

The Mods On/Mods Off mode actually works very well.  The problem is the community thinks mods = potential hacks.  This might be true about other games but is mainly a legacy from IL2 1946 and the consequences of the original sound mod.

I see that you don't know how to cheat using mods, it was and it is possible because there are no checks done . You can have different models, blured textures, transparent textures or full bright textures, no clouds etc compared to other players in the same mission with mods on mode server.

Edited by 307_Tomcat

21 minutes ago, 307_Tomcat said:

I see that you don't know how to cheat using mods, it was and it is possible because there are no checks done . You can have different models, blured textures, transparent textures or full bright textures, no clouds etc compared to other players in the same mission with mods on mode server.

Sorry,  wrong once again.  You can't have 'transparent' textures.  You can't have 'different' models.  You can't have 'no clouds' if the mission has clouds.

You're just repeating what someone else  - equally uninformed - has told you.

There is a way to cheat in Rof unfortunately.  There used to be a similar way to cheat in BoS until the devs plugged that hole.  Neither have anything to do with mods.

1 hour ago, DD_Arthur said:

Sorry,  wrong once again.  You can't have 'transparent' textures.  You can't have 'different' models.  You can't have 'no clouds' if the mission has clouds.

You're just repeating what someone else  - equally uninformed - has told you.

There is a way to cheat in Rof unfortunately.  There used to be a similar way to cheat in BoS until the devs plugged that hole.  Neither have anything to do with mods.can

Any way I have other opinion about possibility of cheating using mods . But all this is off topic which was about merging all servers mods off and mods on plus coop in one server browser.

There are 34 servers and 112 players online now with mods off

and 2 servers with 0 players mods on

the topic is really a non issue. 

Not enough people use mods online to worry about it.