Novice-Flyer

Playable ships in IL-2 GBs

There are playable tanks in IL-2 Great Battles, along with 2 planned Anti Aircraft vehicles for Tank Crew. There are ships already in the game, so why not make some ships playable where you can steer and operate weapons/systems?

Eastern Front: With BOK (and other Eastern front battles like Crimea, Romania) it can portray the Black Sea campaign. Possibly if a Murmansk map is made it could portray the Arctic Convoys.

For the ships in BOK like the Gneveny (Type 7) destroyer, 

Aerial view of Razumny A 22471.jpg

Type IIb German Submarine,

Shchuka submarine

Image result for shchuka class submarine

Along with the Oil tanker and cargo ship and possibly any other ships not yet in the game that saw considerable action, they could make these ships playable for missions like shelling, attacking enemy ships, transport missions, etc. Playable positions would likely be Bridge, Turrets (main), Anti aircraft guns, torpedo launchers, watch positions, etc.

Considering the amount of naval action with the Soviet Navy in WW2, it's minimal compared to other areas like the Atlantic, Mediterranean, Pacific.

Pacific: With the Pacific there's much more naval action in that area. Places would likely be Battle of Coral Sea, Guadalcanal, Philippines (Phillippine Sea and Samar), Okinawa, and others. Ships would include Aircraft Carriers, Battleships, Cruisers, Destroyers and Transports on for both Allied (mainly American) and Japanese.

However, making these ships alone, especially for the Pacific would take a considerable amount of time and likely be the ships that saw the most amount of action in the battle being portrayed. They don't have to be playable immediately when they're released because making the interior for the bridge, main guns, etc. would take another amount of time, so if the devs make the ships AI controlled for a period of time and then a while later make them playable that's totally fine.

In IL-2 Cliffs of Dover, they plan to make the ships playable were you can steer them and man the flak guns. However, the bridge interior will not be made and the main weapons will be AI controlled.
 But, it's just an idea to make the ships playable like planes and tanks are in IL-2 Great Battles, it doesn't have to happen.

So what do you people think?

I'd be interested in torpedo boats.  I really enjoyed PT Boats - Knights of the Sea many years ago.  I don't know how this game engine would manage though.   Things like smoke screens might be difficult for it if the present effects durations are anything to go by. 

39 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

I really enjoyed PT Boats - Knights of the Sea many years ago.

That game was both wonderful and terrible.

57 minutes ago, Novice-Flyer said:

So what do you people think?

A total waste of time and resources.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

@Novice-Flyer

Just out of curiosity, how much would you be prepared to pay for a playable ship in IL-2 GB?

• Haha 1

I can't see this ever becoming a reality and I would very much rather see a lot of other things first . . . . . . WW2 Flight sim related things

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, LukeFF said:

A total waste of time and resources.

Luke. If you think playable ships are a waste of resources, then what about Tanks? Do you believe that playable tanks with 3D realistic cockpits are a waste of time. I don’t 

4 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

@Novice-Flyer

Just out of curiosity, how much would you be prepared to pay for a playable ship in IL-2 GB?

It would likely be a few positions like the bridge, flak guns, main turrets, torpedo launcher, etc. No where near Silent Hunter 5 with a FULLY accessible ship via walk about. With price They could do something like Tank Crew, make ~10 ships playable, leave the rest AI controlled TIL later. I’d pay $70 for it.

Edited by Novice-Flyer
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Novice-Flyer said:

Luke. If you think playable ships are a waste of resources, then what about Tanks? Do you believe that playable tanks with 3D realistic cockpits are a waste of time.

It would likely be a few positions like the bridge, flak guns, main turrets, torpedo launcher, etc. No where near Silent Hunter 5 with a FULLY accessible ship via walk about. With price They could do something like Tank Crew, make ~10 ships playable, leave the rest AI controlled TIL later. I’d pay $70 for it.

Nobody is going to sell that for $70. $500 maybe, if they can find a wealthy backer willing to fund it in advance and take the risk...

Edited by AndyJWest

2 hours ago, Novice-Flyer said:

Luke. If you think playable ships are a waste of resources, then what about Tanks? Do you believe that playable tanks with 3D realistic cockpits are a waste of time.

Tanks make perfect sense in a tank sim - which is what they're developing.
They're not working on a "Ship Commander" so no these suggestions would not be a plausible use of resources.

I'll admit that a player controlled torpedo boat (PT Boat, Solomons especially) would be fun, and probably 'relatively' quick to pull off.

The operative word being "relatively" compared to other things you mention. Need the Solomons though for that.

However there are other things I'd rather see, and certainly don't want resources being spent on submarines etc.

AA gunner position on a ship? Yep...why not - eventually. I'd like to see more AA types available for player control eventually as well...Bofor 40mm for instance.

Posted (edited)

DCS World is an alternative if you like ships (and of course the dedicated games like "World Of Warships" ...).

Submarines ... there is the new "Uboat" in Early Access you can buy on steam. ...

In DCS you will be able to perform carrier operations (dunno about the learning curve, the module is not out yet but on my bucket list).

I would welcome naval operations in IL-2 as well though.

Performancewise it would probably not be a good idea.

Don't know how TC influences performance (if you fly above), but combined arms (more than tanks like ships, submarines, harbours) will surely require additional resources.

But I, personally and FWIW, sure welcome the idea of such a "Ship Commander" module.

Chances of this happening are most probably close to zero.

Edited by simfan2015

Personally I think it is a major feature creep mistake with Clod /TF5.. 

Not the same as Tank  crew which can be a standalone game with integration

PT boats could be cool but would have to be done in a similar way to Tank crew (sadly too niche with other things with better returns avaliable for the 'Team' to do) 

Cheers, Dakpilot 

I am a former silent hunter player, and the idea of one day seeing playable ships on IL2 has always pleased me.

But it would seem logical, in the optics pacific opus, that one day there are accessible ships.

They say they want to diversify to get players from different backgrounds, TC for example, openly look for players on WOT who want more realism.

If we consider that games like WOwarship have a large pool of players, we can easily imagine a similar desire to create support for them.

Then, to imagine what it could be concretely playing, is difficult, because we do not know the limits and the difficulties that could meet the developers to realize it in a profitable way.

But a ship captain position with a map table, radar, binoculars to designate targets, a system management screen / damage / crews, I would like a lot.

Without necessarily having all the boat to visit of course ^^

As I took TC, I would take a "ShipComand" to 70 € without problems.

• Upvote 1