QB.Creep

"Flashes" to SteamVR loading screen during gameplay (2080 Super)

Posted (edited)

EDIT: I have kept the initial post in this topic updated with all pertinent information including the current state of my issue (last updated: 9 August 2019)

Hello everyone! I've been banging my head against the wall for a few days on this issue on my own; hoping that one of you can offer some guidance! First off, let me just say that my machine was running relatively smoothly for quite some time in VR.

Recently I have been experiencing flashes of the SteamVR loading screen during gameplay. Sometimes it is only a momentary stutter and it happens so fast that I can't see the loading screen in SteamVR. This started happening as soon as I upgraded my graphics card (went from a 980 Ti to a 2080 Super), so I am highly suspicious of this as the culprit. This did happen VERY briefly on my 980 Ti but only when zooming in/out on the in-game map. Now that happens with my 2080 Super for extended periods of time when using the in-game map, and even WHILE flying! That never happened when I was using my 980 Ti. 

I'll try to break down the problem below; any advice/feedback will be very much appreciated!!

Hardware

i9700K (OC to 4.7 GHz)

Samsung M.2 Ultra SSD

16GB DDR4 3200 RAM

EVGA 2080 Super FTW (OC to 2055MHz core clock)

Samsung Odyssey+

Software/settings

v13.1.1 of Lefuneste's mod

SCG_Fenris_Wolf's Odyssey+ configuration settings for startup.cfg, default.vrsettings, and SteamVR settings

Latest NVIDIA drivers, no GeForce Experience, all NVIDIA settings at default except for power management (set to prefer maximum performance)

EVGA PrecisionX (for OC & monitoring)

ASRock OCTuner (for OC & monitoring)

Disabled multithreading in BIOS

Things I have tried

- Reduced the quality for a number of settings in startup.cfg to see if somehow my GPU was the bottleneck (doesn't make sense that it would be)

- Watched the "advanced frame timing" tab in SteamVR to see if there is a correlation between these flashes to the loading screen and spikes in CPU or GPU

- Messed around with a bunch of NVIDIA settings specifically for BoS

- Changed settings in WMR, currently set to "Medium" quality

- Reduced supersampling in SteamVR to 100% from 140%; this is what I had to do with my 980 Ti to get smooth gameplay

- Disabled all software that is running outside of what is needed to run the game

- Uninstalled WMR, SteamVR, went into safe mode and ran DDU to clean drivers, reinstalled 431.60 NVIDIA drivers, reinstalled WMR and SteamVR

- Tried the latest beta NVIDIA drivers (431.70)

- Changed the hardware configuration of my video card. I am now using two cables from my PSU for the two 8-pin connectors; previously I was using a single cable that had two connectors daisy-chained).

- Removed EVGA Power Link adapter in case that was causing voltage drops.

- Disabled 3dmigoto mod, issue persists.

- Reinstalled Steam and BOS, issue persists.

- Disabled OC on my CPU and GPU, issue persists.

- Swapped out the 2080 Super for my 980 Ti after booting into safe mode and using DDU to completely wipe the NVIDIA drivers. Did a fresh install of the latest NVIDIA drivers without GeForce Experience. No stuttering after 2+ hours of gameplay with the old card. Performed the same process to swap back in the 2080 Super and the stutters return.

- Purchased a gold rated 1000w power supply from EVGA. Issue persists. 

- Reduce the memory clock speed on the GPU (https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/rtx-2080-freezes-in-gameplay-then-followed-by-low-fps-stuttering.3434536/)

- Change PCIE option in BIOS (https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/b8pm3b/rtx_2080_laggstutter_spikes_hicupsgpu_usage_drops/)

- Attempted to install previous versions of NVIDIA drivers, unfortunately all of the ones I attempted to install with the 2080 are incompatible (cannot get past the first step of the installation download).

- Played Elite Dangerous in SteamVR, and I get similar stutters in there too, particularly when I fly around inside a station of switch between menu screens in the ship.

- Tried enabling multi-threaded processing in the BIOS, manually setting my RAM speed to match its actual speed rating, flashed the BIOS to the latest version (because of "improved PCIe compatibility"), disabled ASW in SteamVR, and moved the graphics card to the top PCIe slot on my board. I had noticed that in GPU-Z was reporting "PCIe x8 3.0" instead of "PCIe x16 3.0". After making that change, it now reports the latter. One or more of these changes reduced the amount of stutter in-game, but it has not eliminated it.

Things I have observed

- The frame timing for my GPU doesn't seem any better than what I had with my 980 Ti - the ASW is still kicking in 100% of the time in multiplayer and I am constantly running at 45 FPS. Doesn't seem right, I would think that I would occasionally get 90 FPS with this rig... shouldn't I be able to hit 90 FPS at least in quick mission?

- If I join a multiplayer game and load the map then zoom in, it almost always freezes for a few seconds. When frozen, the advanced frame timing in SteamVR shows that everything is at idle. Does that indicate that the game itself is "hung"?

- Lots of people are complaining about stutters with RTX cards over on the NVIDIA forum. Some of those people are saying they performed the same test I did which was to swap out a different video card and see that there was no stuttering. I posted in the thread as well. Interesting reading: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1077774/geforce-rtx-20-series/rtx-2080-occasional-stuttering-across-all-games/post/6129640/#6129640

Current status

- Contacted EVGA, sent them everything I tried, answered a few simple questions, and sent them a benchmark result (which indicates the card is fine). They suggested I revert to a previous version of Windows, I politely declined. Even if that is the fix, that is unacceptable - the card should work and if there is something about the RTX architecture that is less compatible with new software than my 980 Ti, I don't want it. They approved an RMA and I am shipping it off to them. If the next card doesn't improve the situation, I will just pay the restocking fee and return the card and get by on my 980 Ti until NVIDIA gets their shit together.

Edited by TWC_Creep

I would first try it with no mods or changes in config files to rule them out.

• Like 1

Is that a i7 9700k or i9. It could be the overclocking making thing unstable. I have a i7 9700k with a 1080ti and the same settings as you. Your vid card should be more powerful than mine.

My system works very smooth with no overclocking.

TWC_Piranha

Also,

Reading through other posts when setting up my system, i read the game was very dependent on the CPU and that it didn't use multi threading. Turn off the multithreading.

Never mind you did turn off multithreading.

• Like 1

Hey Piranha, thanks! I have an i7 9700k. I guess it could be the CPU but I kind of doubt it... I had the same OC on my CPU with my 980 Ti with no issues. The variables which have changed since this issue began are a.) the new video card and b.) the new video card drivers. Thinking I should focus on those in conjunction with reinstalling software bit by bit. I will post back here when I get it resolved.

remove WMR app

remove SteamVR plug-in

remove SteamVR

update the Nvidia driver (clean install)

reinstall everything back

Also, the flashback to SteamVR maybe due to loss of tracking in WMR.  So you can try adjust the lighting and the surrounding environment. Someone here said that sitting too close to a single color wall (no contrast) it confuses WMR and it loses tracking because of it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dburne said:

I would first try it with no mods or changes in config files to rule them out.

Thanks man, good suggestion - will add this to my list. I will be extremely confused if this ends up being the issue though since I was using this same configuration with my 980 Ti.

1 minute ago, pomdeterre said:

remove WMR app

remove SteamVR plug-in

remove SteamVR

update the Nvidia driver (clean install)

reinstall everything back

Also, the flashback to SteamVR maybe due to loss of tracking in WMR.  So you can try adjust the lighting and the surrounding environment. Someone here said that sitting too close to a single color wall (no contrast) it confuses WMR and it loses tracking because of it.

Yep will absolutely try that.

That someone was me! 😄 I already solved the contrast issue - I don't think this is a tracking problem because it is not brought about by me moving my head position. Good thought though!

2 minutes ago, TWC_Creep said:

That someone was me! 😄

😄 right on.. :)   I had similar flashes, albeit very very quick, with VivePro. The recalibration of the space in SteamVR pretty much eliminates it, although I have to re-run the calibration every month or so.. which isn't too bad.. 

• Like 1

Hmm interesting. Ok thanks, will try a recalibration first before doing all of the more invasive changes on my list. Thank you!

• Upvote 1

It's not the CPU I also have the 17 9700k and it works great without overclocking.

TWC_Piranha

Hope you solve this fast because i just bought the 2080 super for a friends build.

Posted (edited)

Updated the original topic with the things I have tried and the things left to try. The problem persists after doing the following:

- Uninstalled WMR, SteamVR, went into safe mode and ran DDU to clean drivers, reinstalled 431.60 NVIDIA drivers, reinstalled WMR and SteamVR

- Tried the latest beta NVIDIA drivers (431.70)

Added one observation to the original topic too:

- If I join a multiplayer game and load the map then zoom in, it almost always freezes for a few seconds. When frozen, the advanced frame timing in SteamVR shows that everything is at idle. Does that indicate that the game itself is "hung"?

Edited by TWC_Creep

How the cooling? Is the machine running hot?

TWC_Piranha

Posted (edited)

I have strong hickups since IL-2's latest 3.102 update. 

Also mentioned by 3 other VR players from our group SCG. We have talked about this during flight yesterday! 

This goes across 3 different headsets and tracking methods,  and different systems, and different drivers and graphicscards.

It's very likely to be new IL-2 or SteamVR bug! These are the two common denominators. 

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TWC_Piranha said:

How the cooling? Is the machine running hot?

TWC_Piranha

Cooling is awesome!! Bit of a tangent here, but the 2080 Super I got is the EVGA FTW3 one which has an AIO cooler (water radiator w/ fan). Before, my graphics card had 3 fans which were blowing directly past my cpu heatsink and fan which I think was making things warmer than they needed to be. Now, there is only one fan on the graphics card blowing past my cpu heatsink and the radiator cooler and fan is far away from my cpu heatsink and directing the flow outside of the case. My temps went from about 55 MB/60 CPU/65 GPU to 35 MB/45 CPU/40 GPU. Those are the temps while running an OC on the CPU and GPU.

44 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Also mentioned by 3 other VR players from our group SCG. We have talked about this during flight yesterday! 

This goes across 3 different headsets and tracking methods,  and different systems, and different drivers and graphicscards.

It's very likely to be new IL-2 or SteamVR bug! These are the two common denominators. 

Wow, thanks for the info. Not sure if this will help, but I did see this comment for the current build of SteamVR beta: 

The SteamVR Beta has been updated with the following changes. This build is a candidate for a full release and will likely roll out to everyone in the next few days.

Fingers crossed for some optimizations in the near future!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

for what it's worth I played Combat Box right after getting the 3.102 update and the framerate was abysmal. I went to graphics settings, lowered the landscape detail to normal, dropped the horizon to 70km, lowered clouds to Medium. Restarted the game, the framerates improved. I changed the settings back (except for clouds, on medium they look OK to me), went back in to the game and the framerate was OK again. So, I don't know if it's the settings change that made the difference in some core game files, or it was simply the flying by the seat of my pants feeling.. but framerate is back to pre 3.102 update.

• Upvote 1

In SteamVR Developer settings there is a box for the headset to not go to SteamVR dome  when game freezes.

If that box is checked you'll see flashes as you describe instead of the mountain/sunset vista.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gordon200 said:

In SteamVR Developer settings there is a box for the headset to not go to SteamVR dome  when game freezes.

If that box is checked you'll see flashes as you describe instead of the mountain/sunset vista.

Thank you sir! I did notice that checkbox. It is not checked in SteamVR on my machine. To be clear, the "flash" that I am describing takes me to the SteamVR view with the mountain/sunset vista with a small modal "loading" box for BoS. Does that make sense? 

Edited by TWC_Creep

Try OpenComposite to bypass SteamVR?

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Not familiar with this - will check it out, thanks!

I think the issue may be resolved! I only spent 30 minutes last night testing it out, so need to spend some more time to be sure.

I changed the hardware configuration of my video card. I am now using two cables from my PSU for the two 8-pin connectors; previously I was using a single cable that had two connectors daisy-chained). I am kind of embarrassed that it was such a stupid problem. Not sure how I ever got away with using a single rail for the two connectors on my 980 Ti, I had it that way for 4 years and never had a single issue with performance. 

Try OpenComposite anyway. Much better experience without being sent to Steam VR every time there is a loading screen in IL-2. No stutters on map etc...

17 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Does OpenComposite work with Odyssey+ ?!

3 hours ago, [CPC]Giledhil said:

Does OpenComposite work with Odyssey+ ?!

Looks to me like it is only for Oculus...

2 hours ago, TWC_Creep said:

Looks to me like it is only for Oculus...

Yes that’s right, sorry for some reason I thought you had a Rift.

Posted (edited)

Switching the rails didn't have the effect I thought it did - still getting those momentary halts in the map and sometimes even when flying. I will try reinstalling Steam and BoS tomorrow, possibly Windows too.

Edited by TWC_Creep

Posted (edited)

I tried the following this weekend:

- Swapped out the 2080 Super for my 980 Ti after booting into safe mode and using DDU to completely wipe the NVIDIA drivers. Did a fresh install of the latest NVIDIA drivers without GeForce Experience. No stuttering after 2+ hours of gameplay with the old card. Performed the same process to swap back in the 2080 Super and the stutters return.

At this point I am convinced that the problem is with the physical card or the card and the new drivers that came out on 7.23. I am going to be contacting EVGA this week to start an RMA. Evidence that suggests this is a problem with the 2080 series: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1077774/geforce-rtx-20-series/rtx-2080-occasional-stuttering-across-all-games/26/

Edited by TWC_Creep

3 hours ago, TWC_Creep said:

I tried the following this weekend:

At this point I am convinced that the problem is with the physical card or the card and the new drivers that came out on 7.23. I am going to be contacting EVGA this week to start an RMA. Evidence that suggests this is a problem with the 2080 series: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1077774/geforce-rtx-20-series/rtx-2080-occasional-stuttering-across-all-games/26/

that is indeed a peculiar issue and if it's hardware related then it's a double trouble..

another thing you can try is get the different versions of the old nvidia drivers going back to May/April timeframe.  On couple of occasions I remember keep on using the 388.x drivers 5-6 months after they already went on to 400.x versions...

• Like 1

All this is above my paygrade but I've also had a few flashes to the SteamVR room ...very few and far between not really an issue, running Ryzen 1600 andd AMD 570 8GB card ,usually pegged at 45 FPS sometimes dipping into the 30's close to the ground in busy bomber cockpit,using Odeysey + .

• Like 1

After 2 or 3 months with an RTX 2070 I have the same issues that you speak of. Have had it since day one, I've been attributing it to a high ping, as if the connection with the server is lost momentarily.

Now, after being told what RTX stands for I think the new technology trying to communicate with the old (the type of graphics in the game) may be contributing to that weirdness and the micro-stutters with ground objects.

I also have the map issue upon the first zoom in on any map.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, pomdeterre-v said:

another thing you can try is get the different versions of the old nvidia drivers going back to May/April timeframe.  On couple of occasions I remember keep on using the 388.x drivers 5-6 months after they already went on to 400.x versions...

Interesting idea.. May/April of this year? Why then? I am looking at the advanced driver search and not sure which ones I should try: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx

Posted (edited)

yeah, they go back to November last year. Which ones? :) It's your testbed, start with the oldest one (416.81 it seems on the site), see if it improves, if the same jitters persist then it's probably a hw issue then. If they're gone, step it up to a next month release.

Edited by pomdeterre-v

I began to get those as well. Just a few times, really fast flashes.
i7 4790K, 1060 6Gb and Odyssey+ 

Have you tried to see if its in other games using VR, Steam VR, etc.  Tried it in Elite Dangerous to see it if raises its head?>

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TWC_Sp00k said:

Have you tried to see if its in other games using VR, Steam VR, etc.  Tried it in Elite Dangerous to see it if raises its head?>

I have not yet and I should do that. Will try it tonight and let you know.

Well that's all she wrote! I tried all the things! Just waiting on EVGA to get back to me so I can get the RMA process rolling. If anyone out there has a 2080 Super that works in IL2 with VR, I would love to hear from you. I need some hope! 

On 8/6/2019 at 1:10 AM, TWC_Creep said:

I have not yet and I should do that. Will try it tonight and let you know.

Disabling Hyperthreading helped with regards to studdery game play for me in VR but - with FFR on I do have issues with the odd spike that hangs Il2.  It is inconsistent behaviour and depends on my settings for instance with the Pimax 8K, if I have FOV set to Large I seem to have less issues with hangs but then I run up against a Render Target Resolution limit of 8192 in SteamVR with PImax.  This is quite an issue as FFR is garbage at lower resolutions as is clarity in Il2 ingeneral. 

Running Normal FOV with FFR will be problematic and give me 50% of running the sim.

I do also have the odd spike where I suffer a fps drop momentarily but I put that down to running my RTX 2080 as an eGPU via Thunderbolt.

I do not have any issues with Assetto Corsa which is the only other VR game I run.

It will be interesting to know what is being done under the hood with Il2 with regards to the Graphics Architecture for the round Late September Release/Update.  Sounds as though there will some big changes taking place to enable the object render distances pushing out from 10km present to 100km then.  Don't know if there are issues with 2D Il2 play with my RTX as I have only used 2D to setup Cockpit Seating Position and all play has been in VR.  I suppose I could use my inbuilt GTX 1070 Max-Q GPU to play on but I don't know if FFR would run on it and without that - with the Pimax 8K - it ain't worth cooking my laptop for.

Haven't had any issues with Destiny 2 or Doom 2016 on monitor play.

Ok, now seeing a big problem, micro studders.

Not sure if is the recent Il2 update or SteamVR but now, in game menu and in cockpit VR I am getting studdering where before it was smooth.  Same settings.  Yea 😕

43 minutes ago, blitze said:

Ok, now seeing a big problem, micro studders.

Not sure if is the recent Il2 update or SteamVR but now, in game menu and in cockpit VR I am getting studdering where before it was smooth.  Same settings.  Yea 😕

Check the cpu/GPU usage

7 hours ago, blitze said:

Disabling Hyperthreading helped with regards to studdery game play for me in VR...

I have that disabled as well. I have this issue across all games, not just IL2. What video card do you have?

Checked CPU and GPU usage and not seeing 100% usage whilst in game.

Video Card - it's a RTX 2080 Gigabyte Gamers Overclock Edition.

I think it is a steam issue - Assetto Corsa is smooth as is but SteamVR not working well on Steam Home or Il2.

Virtual Desktop is working well though but my touch typing sucks. 🤣

Even at PiTool 1.5 with SteamVR at 50%/100% and FFR Aggressive, Il2 studders whilst FPS is in the 50 to 60 range in QMB, CPU and GPU at 80 to 90% but not spiking 100%

Seems to be FFR related for Il2 which is sad as without it I have to bump res right down.  SteamVR Home is res related and FFR makes no impact.  The Joy.  Something in the new SteamVR update.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, blitze said:

Checked CPU and GPU usage and not seeing 100% usage whilst in game.

Video Card - it's a RTX 2080 Gigabyte Gamers Overclock Edition.

I think it is a steam issue - Assetto Corsa is smooth as is but SteamVR not working well on Steam Home or Il2.

Virtual Desktop is working well though but my touch typing sucks. 🤣

Even at PiTool 1.5 with SteamVR at 50%/100% and FFR Aggressive, Il2 studders whilst FPS is in the 50 to 60 range in QMB, CPU and GPU at 80 to 90% but not spiking 100%

Seems to be FFR related for Il2 which is sad as without it I have to bump res right down.  SteamVR Home is res related and FFR makes no impact.  The Joy.  Something in the new SteamVR update.

Thank you for taking the time to test this and report back! I am a little lost, had to google FFR and I assume you have a different headset than I do, not sure that matters though. For what it’s worth, I have very little stuttering in Quick Missions, it’s when I get online that it gets bad. Map still flashes to steam 3-4 seconds at a time, waaay longer than my 980 Ti. What did you see in the new Steam VR update?

fyi I just got the rma approved for my card, fingers crossed. Not overly hopeful though because the benchmarks that I run come back looking very strong so more concerned that it’s an issue with SteamVR and this card as you suggested 

Back to PiTool 1.0.1.144 - seems to have cured ills but at a slight reduction in performance.

My issue solved with that but I will check out online behaviour this evening when I have time.  Has not been an issue in the past with my RTX 2080 and VR.  At the moment it seems as though VR is an ever moving target with regards to getting a smooth setup.  Much in the way of changes taking place with software - be it SteamVR, GPU drivers or ones HMD interface.