Jump to content
Tapi

Best settings for RIFT S & 1080Ti?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Please share your recommending setting for the Rift S and graphic card 1080ti to run IL-2 with descent compromise between graphics / performance.

I am new user of RIFT S and there is a lot of combinations to test...

(some recommendations for original RIFT here are may be a bit outdated:)

 

I would like to know especially these:

 

OTT:  Default supersampling = 0?

          Default ASW mode = auto/45/off?    - is ASW recommended with 1080ti or not?

STEAM VR:   Application resolution adjustment = 150%?

                       Video - aplication resolution - manual override = 100 %?

In game settings:

                   In Game - Game                                                                 : 50km

                   In Game - Graphics                                              Resolution: 1280x720                // Only changes how it looks on the monitor, lower = marginal performance gain

                   In Game - Graphics                                     General Setting: Balanced/High

                   In Game - Graphics                                                 Shadows: Medium  

                   In Game - Graphics                                                    Mirrors: Simple                     

                   In Game - Graphics                    Distant Landscape Detail: X2                                     

                   In Game - Graphics                        Horizon Draw Distance: 70km                                         

                   In Game - Graphics                                   Landscape Filter: Off

                   In Game - Graphics                                       Clouds Quality: High                       // Try High first, FPS greatly improved on Medium but spotting is harder

                   In Game - Graphics                                                       SSAO: OFF

                   In Game - Graphics                                                         HDR: OFF

                   In Game - Graphics                                                  Sharpen: OFF

                   In Game - Graphics                                    Use 4k Textures: ON                         

 

Thanks a lot!

Edited by Tapi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Subjectively it seems to me that without ASW there is a better sense of the speed IF there is sufficent FPS.

So I have a question  concerning the above mention combination of the headset & graphic card what solution is preffered:

a) ASW ON and better graphic quality or

b) ASW OFF and worse graphic quaility (in order to maintain 80 FPS)

 

I would aslo like to know how is the best way to start IL-2? I have to run Steam VR, then Oculus Home is automatically launched. Then I have to put on my headset and grab touch and from the Steam VR room point to trigger IL-2. 

a) Is there some performance drop running both Oclus Home and Steam VR home?

b) is there some quicker way how to run sim right from the desktop? (clicking on the desktop icon not work even if the steam VR si running)

Edited by Tapi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ASW - I always fly IL-2 with ASW off. I use a profile in Oculus Tray Tool for this. I get better results with no ghosting of planes myself, but this can vary

from user to user.

 

Starting IL-2 - I put my Rift S on, Oculus Home starts, I then launch IL-2 either from my desktop shortcut or the Icon in Oculus Home.

Steam VR will start automatically.

Be sure you are using the IL-2.exe shortcut and not the Launcher shortcut.

 

Finally, I myself changed from using Steam VR to Open Composite, it seems to give me more headroom for performance as it is a pretty

lean program.

 

On my rig, I run with graphics on Ultra and get very good performance.

I don't know what the rest of your PC specs are, but with 1080 Ti with a reasonable processor and ram I would think you

should be able to run High settings. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I appreciate the info dburne, thx  very much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tapi said:

I appreciate the info dburne, thx  very much!

 

You are most welcome, holler if you need any further info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OT question: Is there any way how to display on my standard LCD monitor only left or right eye while using VR headset? Some SteamVR apps allow this but Il-2 unfortunatelly show only both eyes together...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Tapi said:

OT question: Is there any way how to display on my standard LCD monitor only left or right eye while using VR headset? Some SteamVR apps allow this but Il-2 unfortunatelly show only both eyes together...

 

No, at least not that I am aware of. It is just a mirror so should not affect performance.

IL-2 used to only display one eye, not sure why they changed that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, thx.

I asked because my 5-year-old son used to watching me flying sitting on a chair just beside me but now with me wearing Rift S it is impossible for him because of dual eye image on standard LCD 😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Tapi said:

OK, thx.

I asked because my 5-year-old son used to watching me flying sitting on a chair just beside me but now with me wearing Rift S it is impossible for him because of dual eye image on standard LCD 😕

 

You can project the image you see in headset to monitor, but will hurt performance. Not sure how good it would look either.

It is the OculusMirror.exe in your Oculus/Support/Diagnostics folder.

I personally have not tried it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Running a 1080ti with my Rift S. Good advice from Don above, don't use Steam, install open composite.

I set all graphics to ULTRA and use a pixel density of 1.6. Stunning graphics and smooth projection mostly pegged at 80fps

 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@dburneDid not know that tool, thx for the tip, I will try it.

 

6 minutes ago, Lensman1945 said:

Running a 1080ti with my Rift S. Good advice from Don above, don't use Steam, install open composite.

I set all graphics to ULTRA and use a pixel density of 1.6. Stunning graphics and smooth projection mostly pegged at 80fps

 

Dave

Great. As for the pixel density 1.6 - do you mean OTT settings "Default supersampling" or something else?

Edited by Tapi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Did not know that tool, thx for the tip, I will try it.

Great. As for the pixel density 1.6 - do you mean OTT settings "Default supersampling" or something else?

Yep, set at 1.6 in Oculus Tray Tool as a profile for IL2. I set ASW to off btw. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Lensman1945 said:

Yep, set at 1.6 in Oculus Tray Tool as a profile for IL2. I set ASW to off btw. :)

Ok. But if I set supersampling in OTT I guess I should set SteamVR Aplication resolution to 100% (instead of 150% I use now). If I understand correctly these two setting are add up together?

Edited by Tapi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Ok. But if I set supersampling in OTT I guess I should set SteamVR Aplication resolution to 100% (instead of 150% I use now). If I understand correctly these two setting are add up together?

Ah, I think you may be right, but I don't use Steam for IL2, I prefer Open Composite.

https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR/blob/master/README.md

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Ok. But if I set supersampling in OTT I guess I should set SteamVR Aplication resolution to 100% (instead of 150% I use now). If I understand correctly these two setting are add up together?

 

Yes if using Steam VR set it to 100% and use OTT for SS in the Rift S.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, dburne said:

 

Yes if using Steam VR set it to 100% and use OTT for SS in the Rift S.

 

Got it.

 

And my last question today (hopefuly) - if I install Open Composite instead of SteamVR, may I buy and use apps from Steam anyway? (I originally bought IL-2 Stalingrad from Steam, so even if I bought all other IL-2 DLCs (BOM, BOK,...)  from dev's web directly, I have been always running IL-2 as a steam app).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Got it.

 

And my last question today (hopefuly) - if I install Open Composite instead of SteamVR, may I buy and use apps from Steam anyway? (I originally bought IL-2 Stalingrad from Steam, so even if I bought all other IL-2 DLCs (BOM, BOK,...)  from dev's web directly, I have been always running IL-2 as a steam app).

 

I would think so. You just toggle in the Open Composite menu to use Open Composite for IL-2 rather than Steam VR.

I do not have the Steam version of the game, but I would think that should do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK dburne, I will surely try Open Composite sooner or later. 

Once more thx very much to both of you guys for the answers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Tapi said:

OK dburne, I will surely try Open Composite sooner or later. 

Once more thx very much to both of you guys for the answers.

:good:

 

Have fun and let us know how you make out with it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your not even going to get close to 80fps with tray tool at 1.6 and ultra settings. I'd try balanced with a more modest SS setting. You will still get massive frame drops when you fly over large cities or come across lots of planes but you may maintain a smoother overall fps. There's no computers in existence that can run this game maxed out in vr and hit those framerates all the time. Maybe staring at the empty sky. Pretty much why I quit using it. Asw is trash and balanced settings look horrible cause it limits the clouds to medium but it's the only preset with acceptable performance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JonRedcorn said:

Your not even going to get close to 80fps with tray tool at 1.6 and ultra settings. I'd try balanced with a more modest SS setting. You will still get massive frame drops when you fly over large cities or come across lots of planes but you may maintain a smoother overall fps. There's no computers in existence that can run this game maxed out in vr and hit those framerates all the time. Maybe staring at the empty sky. Pretty much why I quit using it. Asw is trash and balanced settings look horrible cause it limits the clouds to medium but it's the only preset with acceptable performance. 

Well, that's what I'm getting...between 75 and 80fps flying a six on six quick mission dogfight. Reported by in game counter and Oculus HUD. Go figure...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Lensman1945 said:

Well, that's what I'm getting...between 75 and 80fps flying a six on six quick mission dogfight. Reported by in game counter and Oculus HUD. Go figure...

 

I get that flying PWCG Campaign with no problem.

With the Rift S I run SS at 1.4. 

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JonRedcorn said:

Your not even going to get close to 80fps with tray tool at 1.6 and ultra settings. I'd try balanced with a more modest SS setting. You will still get massive frame drops when you fly over large cities or come across lots of planes but you may maintain a smoother overall fps. There's no computers in existence that can run this game maxed out in vr and hit those framerates all the time. Maybe staring at the empty sky. Pretty much why I quit using it. Asw is trash and balanced settings look horrible cause it limits the clouds to medium but it's the only preset with acceptable performance. 

 

I've got a rig similar to yours in your sig (8700k, 1080Ti).  I use Open Composite.  I run high Graphic settings and 1.5 SS in OTT and I get 80+ frames 99.9% of the time.  I've not had a single instance..even when running dogfights with 12-16 planes on screen where the framerate got awful.  So I don't know what's going on with your rig, but yes....you can run this game with high graphics and get great FPS.  I do it every day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Well, yesterday evening I tested different combinations... Unfortunatelly with ASW OFF,  OTT set to 1.4 and SteamVR to 100% I have 40-60 FPS at QMB with 1v1...

With OTT= 0 and SteamVR = 125% I have nearly steady 80 FPS at QMB with 1v1 but with only partially clouded sky. 

But clouds tends to lower FPS to 70-75...

 

As for the graphics quality it seems to me, that supersampling set via OTT produces slightly worse results (subjectively). SteamVR seems to produce slightly better graphics at 125%.

 

Wel I am going to try uninstal SteamVR and use Open Composite this evenning and I will see if there is any performance improvement.

 

Question: for VR: Full screen schould be checked or unchecked?

 

My ingame settings:

(for my HW configuration see signature below)

VR-Il-2.jpg

Edited by Tapi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are going to try Open Composite there is no need to uninstall Steam VR. I installed Open Composite and put a shortcut to IL2 on the desktop. Then you don't need Steam running at all. Just boot Oculus, then OTT and start IL2 from the desktop shortcut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, thx for tip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i got my rift s today and open composite made the performance ALOT better compared to running steamVR. you should check it out! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Gridset said:

i got my rift s today and open composite made the performance ALOT better compared to running steamVR. you should check it out! :)

 

:good:

My experience as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rift S, Intel 8086K @ 5.0ghz (CPU makes a difference in IL2) and RTX 2080 here (similar to 1080ti). I use High settings, High clouds, 100km view distance, sharp landscape filter, 4x in game AA, 1.1 pixel density in OTT, bypass SteamVR with OpenComposite, and Lefuneste’s 3D Migoto mod for VR fixes and better zoom. Works great but it’s not pegged at 80, especially on MP servers or with lots of AI. I’m a bit skeptical of people pushing 1.6 pixel density and reporting 80 FPS “most of the time”...

 

If you do get slowdowns, use OTT to enable the “application render timing” HUD. It will tell you whether GPU or CPU (or both) are taking longer than the magic 12ms which is needed for 80 FPS. If the cpu is taking too long, overclock it or reduce to Balanced. If the GPU is taking too long, reduce supersample or AA or Shadows. If the GPU has headroom, increase pixel density for nicer details.

 

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/30/2019 at 3:29 PM, Lensman1945 said:

Well, that's what I'm getting...between 75 and 80fps flying a six on six quick mission dogfight. Reported by in game counter and Oculus HUD. Go figure...

Yeah have fun online when you aren't flying over empty landscape. First large furball you get into over stalingrad you come back and tell me your running ultra settings at those SS settings and getting those frame rates. You won't be... Hell just go play quick battle over stalingrad or the large port on kuban. Instant 45-50 fps. Not only that but certain servers run worse than others, wings is horrible for VR, Kota is alright. Kota is also missing half the cities in the game.

Edited by JonRedcorn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks again very much to all of you guys! Your help was very useful for me!

 

I installed OpenComposite and I can confirm better performance without Steam VR.

After a couple of hours of trying I finally settled to these settings - see pictures (tested in QMB 4 vs 8, kuban map, moderate clouds) - gives me about 75-80 FPS with GPU very close to 12 ms (CPU always under 12 ms) with rare short drops especialy with close encounters with nemorous AI 🙂

No online test yet though....

Note: OTT SS set to 1.3 and higer produce considerable FPS drop in the scenario mentioned above. So with 1080Ti I have to set SS to 1.0 or 1.1 in order to be able to play without ASW.

 

Question: how close/open OTT visual hud (showing FPS etc.) in the game? Of course I can set HUD in in the OTT but while I am in the game I would like to be able to close it or fire it again. I tried to attach different hotkeys combinations in the OTT but it does not worked for me. I tried OTT voice commands as well but also not worked (may be due conflict with Voice Attack I am using for IL-2 commands).

 

IL2 settings for Rift S.jpg

OTT_Rift-S.jpg

Edited by Tapi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JonRedcorn said:

Yeah have fun online when you aren't flying over empty landscape. First large furball you get into over stalingrad you come back and tell me your running ultra settings at those SS settings and getting those frame rates. You won't be... Hell just go play quick battle over stalingrad or the large port on kuban. Instant 45-50 fps. Not only that but certain servers run worse than others, wings is horrible for VR, Kota is alright. Kota is also missing half the cities in the game.

Fair comment. I don't play on line, so I'll take your word on that and can imagine the extra overheads would have a big impact. I did just try the quicky over the Kuban port you mentioned. I upped the aircraft to 8 on 8 and the lowest the frame reported was 74.

Tapi, I haven't tried any hot keys for bringing up the HUD in OTT. I only use it when I'm experimenting with new settings or updates, so I just have a RIFT controller on my lap and break out to Oculus desktop and tweak OTT from there.

Pleased you are having fun and 'getting there' :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI if you are into competitive multiplayer enabling ‘sharpen’ will help you spot enemy planes. It increases contrast and makes planes easier to spot (helps vs AI too but less critical). Performance impact for the sharpen filter is negligible.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, sharpen helps to spot a planes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it`s almost impossible to get a constant 80 fps in this game. I managed to get generally 80 fps, but going near dense areas or dogfights drops it to around 45-50 every now and then. this is just in Single Player. I thought it would be better in MP since not much of an AI should be required.

 

Funny, cos I finally upgraded to the point that I had 140 fps in the 2D game... Then I went and shot all that down by getting VR! lol.

 

I have a 1080 by the way.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Well I think there is some problem with automatic launching ASW - even if I set it OFF in OTT, if my FPS drops below 75 there si immediate skip to 40 FPS and it stays there until GPU load improve and then skip back to 80. So it looks like ASW is ON even if in the OTT is set to OFF.

There is the whole thread about ASW behavior in this forum: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=201746

So far I have not tried all suggestions yet. But may be someone here has the same problem a knows the right solution....

Edited by Tapi
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Well I think there is some problem with automatic launching ASW - even if I set it OFF in OTT, if my FPS drops below 75 there si immediate skip to 40 FPS and it stays there until GPU load improve and then skip back to 80. So it looks like ASW is ON even if in the OTT is set to OFF.

There is the whole thread about ASW behavior in this forum: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=201746

So far I have not tried all suggestions yet. But may be someone here has the same problem a knows the right solution....

 

Are you setting a profile for IL-2 in the OTT with ASW set to off in the profile?

When you launch IL-2 are you getting voice confirmation from OTT ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So far I am testing only IL-2 so no need to create profiles. But I wil try it to see if it helps.

I also did not mentioned any voice confirmation from OTT so far.

Edited by Tapi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tapi said:

So far I am testing only IL-2 so no need to create profiles. But I wil try it to see if it helps.

I also did not mentioned any voice confirmation from OTT so far.

 

There is an option in OTT for Voice confirmation, check that so you will hear if your profile applies or not.

Definitely create a profile for IL-2.

 

Running latest version of OTT, I will occasionally not get the profile applied, but majority of time it does. The few times it does not (not hearing voice confirmation) 

I just exit the game and restart it again, usually applies then. It is very infrequent this happens to me though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Creating OTT profile for IL-2 helped, ASW OFF works now. Great! 🙂 THX dburne very much!

 

Well, another ask for a little help:

I am using lefuneste's 3Dmigoto mod and use JoyToKey to map some keys like END and PGDOWN etc. to my joystick. Joy buttons with mapped keys works well in the desktop app like notepad, but in the VR game not. Any idea what is wrong?

note:  the same keyboard keys work well in VR game... Seems like joytokey do not work while in the VR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...