Sign in to follow this  
6./ZG26_Loke

Bombing experience

Instead for hijacking other topics regarding bombing experience, I'll keep it in it's own thread.

First of the have been some talk about the need to or not set the fuse to direct impact. Or keeping a certain altitude.

Well, while flying on J5's server, we bombed a ship from low level, using a 5 sec timer. 

No problems as seen on the pictures. Only we could not sink the ship even though it got hit many times.

A strange thing I noticed while seeing the track file, was that the bomb changed to a WW2 50kg one when zooming out, see pics.

Last thing, bombed a hangar form about 1K, and hit with 3 50kg's. They detonated fine but no visual damaged to the hangar.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Posted (edited)

Not relevant to the bombs themselves as in your post but about the bombing experience none the less;

I've not used the bombsight in the game prior to now. I gather that your choice of units in the regional setting does not have any impact upon the bombsights measurements? As I've just been using the bombsight with "plane dependant" and the bombsight was using metric. I also tried "imperial" afterwards and that made no change to the bombsight.

I assume it's not such a problem with the more "modern" aircraft in the sim where the broad variables available on the bombsight mean you can bring the bombsights settings to match the bombsights instruments. But with the Bristol Fighter there are just two settings for each parameter on the bombsight which means you have to bring the plane to match the bombsight instead. The Bristol Fighters cockpit instruments using imperial but the bombsight using metric meant I needed to either do some conversion to figure out the altitude I needed to attain before using the bombsight or switch back and forth between cockpit and bombsight while climbing until the bombsight said I was now at the correct altitude.

In Rise of Flight the "plane dependant" option impacted the bombsights and with that choice the Bristol Fighter used imperial measurements, the same as the cockpit instruments used.

Edited by Oliver88

16 minutes ago, Oliver88 said:

But with the Bristol Fighter there are just two settings for each parameter on the bombsight which means you have to bring the plane to match the bombsight instead. The Bristol Fighters cockpit instruments using imperial but the bombsight using metric meant I needed to either do some conversion to figure out the altitude I needed to attain before using the bombsight or switch back and forth between cockpit and bombsight while climbing until the bombsight said I was now at the correct altitude.

You can get a sense of the speed and altitude you need by looking at a placard mounted next to the gunsight.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

You can get a sense of the speed and altitude you need by looking at a placard mounted next to the gunsight.

Fair enough thanks did not notice those (was mounted underneath the vickers).

Even zoomed appears a touch hard for me to distinguish what the the second permissible altitude parameter states. Hopefully the other British types also have a similar suitable plaque when and if the further volumes come to Flying Circus.

I see that another plaque next to that states maximum permissiable engine revolutions, reckon that the details from both those plaques would be good information to add into the aircrafts specification page?

Edited by Oliver88

Posted (edited)

Regarding bomb affect (what I've noticed so far in the Halb... haven't checked the Bris much yet):

• Fuze settings don't seem to matter (except for allowing delay to prevent fragging yourself on low level drops)
  • The 50kg bombs will destroy smaller ground objects... oil silos, fuel barrels and smaller buildings. They have absolutely no affect on hangars and larger factory buildings. I had set unlimited ammo and hit one hangar with more than 10 direct hits with 50kg and nothing.  
Edited by II./JG1_Vonrd
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Hi,

Has anyone got the bombs to work on the Bristol F.2 Fighter. They drop as expected but don't explode.

Delay and big bombs explode but cooper's not yet.

Set to 3 sec delay.

Thanks

Edited by JG1_Snaggle

Posted (edited)
On 7/28/2019 at 3:18 AM, JG1_Snaggle said:

Hi,

Has anyone got the bombs to work on the Bristol F.2 Fighter. They drop as expected but don't explode.

Delay and big bombs explode but cooper's not yet.

Set to 3 sec delay.

Thanks

Here's what i tested for the  Bristol. Large bombs and Coopers

1. 3s Fuse - didn't work

2. 5s Fuse - bombs explode ok from all heights including ground level attacks

3. Contact Fuse - Bombs only exploded when released from above 650ft

Edited by US103_Baer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1