Sign in to follow this  
LuseKofte

USAAF Thunderbolt

Posted (edited)

Saw it again on Netflix

and it struck me. 

Several US squadrons and french ones flew P 47 

from Corsica to support ground troops trying to brake out of Anzio and brake Gustav line. 

Groundpounding Bridges , railways and strafing roads and train.

One squad was equipped with pit cameras cameras in wheel well and so on.

My point is my expectation of the P 47 flying low is  based on no aereal opposition. We should simply not get bounced by big numbers of Lw planes while we blow out ground targets. 

You son of a gun fritz flyer do not suppose to be there , it is not historical

Edited by LuseKofte
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Your right, the radar guided Flak should be blowing the p47's out of the sky at an alarming rate. Hopefully the BoBp map has tons of it. It would make ground attack super dangerous and exciting. 

You must have gotten access to the Battle of Anzio module before the rest of us.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Partly the problem about why I cannot relate to the P 47. It got no habitat at the moment. So we have to imagine were in a time era where lw is defeted

But I simply think I will not be the kind of pilot excelling in the P 47 in any altitude against another pilot. I need a faster than 262 plane with radar pointing upward backward to be really good. And guided missiles 

Edited by LuseKofte

2 hours ago, -LUCKY-ThanksSkeletor said:

Your right, the radar guided Flak should be blowing the p47's out of the sky at an alarming rate. Hopefully the BoBp map has tons of it. It would make ground attack super dangerous and exciting. 

If you want empty slots and a shrinking player base, go for it.  Nothing fun nor exciting about getting blasted consistently by a computerized bot.

I find it more tidious getting dhot down by the same people over the same target over and over again. 

But that is me. You really cant do much mote than climb to 6 k and hope no one bother to go up there or hug the trees.

Latter will probably kill you after first drop 

I saw that documentary too @LuseKofte. It instantly got me wishing the next GB series is set on italy rather than the usual suspects (pto mto etc).

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, danielprates said:

I saw that documentary too @LuseKofte. It instantly got me wishing the next GB series is set on italy rather than the usual suspects (pto mto etc).

It was interesting, but didn't get my blood flowing for Italy. If anything it highlighted how implausible that map would be.

Go watch a good PTO documentary and cure yourself of this momentary backslide. ;)

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, danielprates said:

It instantly got me wishing the next GB series is set on italy rather than the usual suspects (pto mto etc).

Isn't Italy part of the MTO?

I always thought MTO theatre was  theatre before invation of Italy not in Italy Italy is a fight of its own

6 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

not in Italy Italy is a fight of its own

Last time I checked, Italy was part of the Mediterranean. You using a different map of the world than the rest of us, there. Luse?

• Haha 1

I flew over the Med last November on the way to Israel, and watched the sun rise over Turkey...that was awesome.

Italy was there too....I think.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, [CPT]Crunch said:

If you want empty slots and a shrinking player base, go for it.  Nothing fun nor exciting about getting blasted consistently by a computerized bot.

I should have added more sarcasm to that post, I agree with you. 

It only takes one AA gun set to ‘Ace’

• Haha 2

The AA was in fact the most dangerous and deadly enemy for the ground attack P47s. I don’t have statistics handy, but not many of them were shot down by Luftwaffe fighters. I just don’t think you would find AA gunners that could hit you on the first burst every time you drop on a target. If we used realistic numbers of quad 20s in a mission, no one would survive it. I guess for now, it’s dumb down the AA or just don’t put 12 of them surrounding a target.

10 hours ago, cardboard_killer said:

Isn't Italy part of the MTO?

Yeah but  by that logic, the german invasion of Greece, operation dragoon and the action in the Po Valley would also be, and nornally that is not what people mean by MTO.

@Gambit21 is right of course, a map where thunderbolts take off from corsica and fly mostly overwater to attack ground targets elsewhere is not ideal for GB's scope. But there are many locations that are, like the area surrounding the gothic line and the Po valley just north of it. 

I feel I am not too much off topic here since it was very much p47 hunting ground. I am partial to that, of course, having a grandfather that fought there as part of the 1st Brazillian Inf Division, and knowing there was a brazillian fighter wing in the area operating p47s in a ground attack role.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Poochnboo said:

Last time I checked, Italy was part of the Mediterranean. You using a different map of the world than the rest of us, there. Luse?

What we refer to as mto was at least not Italy campaign in old il 2 smartass. And I did express that it was my impression. Not a state of fact 

No smartass. You started the statement with, "I always thought........" That infers that you believed it to be fact.

yes Italy map would be graeat, especialy that ghotic line area, no more flat maps give us bumps 😄

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 77.CountZero said:

yes Italy map would be graeat, especialy that ghotic line area, no more flat maps give us bumps 😄

haha

what about

sicily

Edited by Frenchy56
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Frenchy56 said:

haha

what about

sicily

works fine, its bumpy enought 😄

4 hours ago, Poochnboo said:

No smartass. You started the statement with, "I always thought........" That infers that you believed it to be fact.

Dont read what I write. Read what I meant to write 😩🙄

In old Il 2 we refered  to MTO as Malta Sicily Italy Crete and North Africa , and Italy as a own theatre. Like Monte Cassino. Of cource Italy is in MTO but I guess I am stuck in the old ways of thinking. 

Okay....lets not get so serious about something so rediculous. I'm considering this conversation over. Let's get back to the sim.

On 7/26/2019 at 5:56 AM, Jaegermeister said:

The AA was in fact the most dangerous and deadly enemy for the ground attack P47s. I don’t have statistics handy, but not many of them were shot down by Luftwaffe fighters. I just don’t think you would find AA gunners that could hit you on the first burst every time you drop on a target. If we used realistic numbers of quad 20s in a mission, no one would survive it. I guess for now, it’s dumb down the AA or just don’t put 12 of them surrounding a target.

I think the loss-rate for 9th AF and 2nd TAF fighter units was around 30%, which was much more than the 8th AF (unless the 8th AF FGs went down and played in the weed - they'd get increased losses on those missions, too).

I think the flak right now is supposed to act like several actual guns. Not sure if that is intentional to keep the number of objects down, or if it's just the way it plays out.

BTW: Can we expect a Dynamite Gang campaign by Jaegermeister? :)

On 7/26/2019 at 1:55 AM, Gambit21 said:

t was interesting, but didn't get my blood flowing for Italy. If anything it highlighted how implausible that map would be.

Go watch a good PTO documentary and cure yourself of this momentary backslide. ;)

There is no Martini in New Guinea, though...

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

BTW: Can we expect a Dynamite Gang campaign by Jaegermeister? :)

I wish, lots of good material there, but I believe they were stationed at Juvencourt for most of the applicable time frame, and I don’t believe it will be included in the map. A bit too far southwest. I guess the 370th will have to do, even though they don’t have a cool nickname like the 367th. 😎.

Edited by Jaegermeister