Sign in to follow this  
Slegawsky

P-39L-1 Airacobra

P-39L-1 Airacobra  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the devs making some improvements in the P-39 performance?

• No, I find it historically correct.
    • Yes, engine limits and flight model makes it too hard for most people to fly.

Posted (edited)

I would like to see it improved, but not the way your options offer :) 

I would like to see the 37mm cannon jamming like it was known to do, already a functioning feature in the WWI aircraft, and somehow made difficult to clear as it really was with much effort to pull the cocking cable, no idea as to how that could be implemented.

I think they did a pretty good job within the envelope of what the game engine offers. A big plus point that the Soviet pilots liked about the P-39 was it's radios, but that's rendered moot for us by things like Team Speak.

Edited by Pict
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

'Engine limits' are clearly something that a great number of forum regulars would like to see revised. It doesn't however make sense to propose they be done for one specific aircraft. As for  changes to the flight model, the developers have made it clear that they won't revise them based on subjective opinions regarding how 'hard' things are. If there is a specific issue, provide the data. Or at least give us a clue what you are complaining about...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Engine limits? Yes, but not only for P-39. Strict engine limits were implemented by the devs in kind of simplified way some time ago, i hope they will revise this issue in the future, but it's a matter of resources, not some bad will.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kramer said:

Engine limits? Yes, but not only for P-39. Strict engine limits were implemented by the devs in kind of simplified way some time ago, i hope they will revise this issue in the future, but it's a matter of resources, not some bad will.

Please don't use the "limited resources" excuse. At least the P-39L's tech spec page could mention the radiators flush setting; a rather important detail to get the best from what is available. Some asked for de-sync (as they were IRL) guns for the P-40 years ago; a simple change to a config file as one found out. Still not done thought the P-40 is a paid collector plane and it seems to be more popular than the P-39L.

• Upvote 1

The entire engine limits system has to be revised, for every plane. Timers have to be ditched.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Arthur-A said:

The entire engine limits system has to be revised, for every plane. Timers have to be ditched.

A good number of planes have "ditched" them already. Yaks, the LaGG, the La-5F - all are timer free. Some others (most notably the K4) can cycle between combat/emergency in such way they can fly on higher boosts levels nonstop.

• Confused 1

It is what it is and if you want to use it, concentrate on getting the engine parameters right.

It doesn't need simplifying in any way.

von Tom

I don't think it need to be simplified but, for example, as with the P-40 also in soviet service represented in game we could do away with the USAAF engine parameters limitations and adopt the VVS operation parameters. The soviets were running Allison engines in a way that they needed an overhaul every 50 hours while the parameters we have now are for 150 hours between overhauls. Soviet pilots also tended to indulge in the boosted mode but try it here and your engine will be dead around the 2 minutes mark...