Hello all,

I've noted that the Rift-S is within m budget, and seems to review well, regarding flight sims. But how does one navigate in BoS? The one owner of the S that I know says he plans his routes ahead, then goes VFR. Is there no way to show a map within Rift S? If not, is VFR the only solution? Getting lost and trying to find one's way back without a map to reference seems daunting. What can I do?

Flyby out

Posted (edited)

I used to use a proper foldable map but that`s impossible with VR. You can see your Map ingame in VR by typing `O` on the keyboard... Just lift up the VR Headset momentarily.

But if that`s too much of a pain then install a utility called Voice Attack and it will open the map if you say, "Open map" and "Close map." commands.  I use that. Extremely useful. You have to add the commands but it is very easy.

However, Voice Attack is pay for, but I believe there`s a demo for a few commands (there was when I last checked it out).

Edited by seafireliv

I assigned the large map "O" to a button on my HOTAS so I just press it to bring it up any time I need.

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, dburne said:

I assigned the large map "O" to a button on my HOTAS so I just press it to bring it up any time I need.

This - it makes everything very easy and in VR the map does not cover all of your vision.

von Tom

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I don't have a Rift-S (still using my CV1) so I can't say whether this works with the -S or not, but I found a really nice way (using an app called OVRdrop) to display a map image down on my knee in the cockpit while flying GB in VR in my CV1.  It cost a little bit in terms of performance/FPS hit, but it was really worth it as it made navigation much easier and more immersive.  If I can get the search function to work, I'll try to find and post a link to that old thread.

Found it - check this out:  https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/31005-ovrdrop-feasible-for-map/?tab=comments#comment-506712

Edited by TG-55Panthercules

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I fly ACG campaigns, and there is no mini map enabled, but the large map is. SO when I use it, it's all I see. So it's difficult to try to compare my current location with the map. Difficult, but doable. I have wondered how using a map in VR. I'm leaning towards the Rift-S as the best bang for the buck, and am looking ahead to possible issues.

SeafireLiv, when you bring up the map does it cover your whole view?

Von_Tom, so you can still see to fly while referring to the map? True?

TG, that seems a good option, a knee map I could look at while flying (over the frozen wasteland of the Ostfront, Moscow campaign)

Thanks again, all!

Flyby out

Posted (edited)

I fly WoL and the only map option you have is 'O' with the full map that hides most of your vision but you do see where your plane is on the map so it's pretty easy to spot where you're at. On a side note, setup and optimization is a bit of a hassle to get decent FPS but so worth it. I would never go back to 3 screens or a TrackIR. I really just wish VR was better incorporated in games but I understand it is still a niche market. 

Go with it, you won't regret it. 

P.S.: I use the Rift

Edited by Luriael

Hi Luriael, 

I've been on several servers where the plane's icon is present. The icon certainly is appreciated on those servers. That is not the case in flying the ACG server campaign missions (held on Sundays). Flying on the server (I'm using TIR atm), only the full-screen map is present. One can usually tell when someone is consulting the map because his plane begins to depart it's course and altitude because the map is his entire screen. The idea of having a screen not blot out a pilot's view (in VR) is what I'm after. I'd like for the server to allow a mini-map, but currently it is what it is. As it is, one must be prepared to nav his way home from "anywhere". Look out the window. Look at the map. Look out the window. Look at the map. almost like real life VFR (in VR would be great!). :)

thank you,

Flyby out

You know you can adjust the size and curve of the map a bit, but the draw back is all the text read outs and message locations change with it.  You can also adjust the map transparity allowing you to see features through it.  Big help when doing night sorties, as it also lowers the light intensity of the map.

• Upvote 1

The maps the same as in 2d nothings different. Assign it to a hotas button like dburne said. 

9 hours ago, ACG_Flyby said:

Hi Luriael, 

I've been on several servers where the plane's icon is present. The icon certainly is appreciated on those servers. That is not the case in flying the ACG server campaign missions (held on Sundays). Flying on the server (I'm using TIR atm), only the full-screen map is present. One can usually tell when someone is consulting the map because his plane begins to depart it's course and altitude because the map is his entire screen. The idea of having a screen not blot out a pilot's view (in VR) is what I'm after. I'd like for the server to allow a mini-map, but currently it is what it is. As it is, one must be prepared to nav his way home from "anywhere". Look out the window. Look at the map. Look out the window. Look at the map. almost like real life VFR (in VR would be great!). :)

thank you,

Flyby out

The big map (O) does not block all your vision in VR like it does in 2D. So this is better in VR than in 2d. It blocks most of your vision but not all, and if you look to the side you don't even see the map because it is not fixed to your view. So it's quite possible to look for landmarks and even control your plane to some extent while the map is on. You won't see the instruments of course but you see if your plane starts to slowly roll etc.

17 hours ago, ACG_Flyby said:

SeafireLiv, when you bring up the map does it cover your whole view?

It covers your whole front view, but you still see if you look to the sides and behind, so it`s best to only use it when things are quiet and you`re not low to the ground.

I can definitely endorse the Rift S for you.  Coming from a Rift, the increase in clarity is striking and the headset is very comfortable with the halo.  I use my Apple Iphone Earbuds and the sound is great.  You absolutely cannot beat the performance, clarity, etc. at 400.00.  I have a friend who has an Index and I cancelled my Index order after he told me that while the Index is awesome, it's not "600 more dollars awesome" than the Rift S.

You'll love it.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, AuburnAlumni said:

I can definitely endorse the Rift S for you.  Coming from a Rift, the increase in clarity is striking and the headset is very comfortable with the halo.  I use my Apple Iphone Earbuds and the sound is great.  You absolutely cannot beat the performance, clarity, etc. at 400.00.  I have a friend who has an Index and I cancelled my Index order after he told me that while the Index is awesome, it's not "600 more dollars awesome" than the Rift S.

You'll love it.

Yes regarding the sound I use the Klipsch R6 II earbuds and the sound is awesome.

I figured that audio strap would not be much good when the Rift S details were released, so I ordered the earbuds even before I had the Rift S.

@AuburnAlumni I bought the Rift a few weeks before they announced the S. The good thing is I got a good rebate on it, though you say there is much improvement with the S vs the original? I must confess that spotting planes is a chore even once you spent the few hours messing with settings to optimize everything (I have a GTX1070), but if you say there is much improvement to be had with the S I might fork out the cash sooner than later for it. As stated above, I would never go back to non VR flight. 

2 hours ago, Luriael said:

@AuburnAlumni I bought the Rift a few weeks before they announced the S. The good thing is I got a good rebate on it, though you say there is much improvement with the S vs the original? I must confess that spotting planes is a chore even once you spent the few hours messing with settings to optimize everything (I have a GTX1070), but if you say there is much improvement to be had with the S I might fork out the cash sooner than later for it. As stated above, I would never go back to non VR flight. 

IMO..absolutely. And this is using my own eyes, which is the best judge.  Coming from OG Rift...it's an absolute noticeable improvement.  I'm very pleased (I use SS at 1.4 through the Oculus Tray Tool and I'm running an i7-8700k/GTX 1080Ti setup.

Very happy with my purchase.

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

Agreed. i used to have the Vive. it was not what I expected. Went to a Rift S, and while not perfect, it`s WAY better for clarity. i can actually easily see detail of the cockpit now and I don`t find spotting hard at all, though perhaps it depends on SS, etc. Like everyone else I use my own headphones. However the Reverb looks good,  has an even higher res and is only about £150 more expensive. Could be an option.

Edited by seafireliv

You guys have been very helpful. I too came to the conclusion that the Valve Index is not $600.00.USD better than the Rift S. Your advice should make my transition to VR a lot smoother than without it. Also, the difference in price will afford me a great new set of headphones. Top Shelf! 😄

thanks again (if you can think of anything else relating to BoS and VR, let me know!). 

Flyby out

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, ACG_Flyby said:

You guys have been very helpful. I too came to the conclusion that the Valve Index is not $600.00.USD better than the Rift S. Your advice should make my transition to VR a lot smoother than without it. Also, the difference in price will afford me a great new set of headphones. Top Shelf! 😄

thanks again (if you can think of anything else relating to BoS and VR, let me know!). 

Flyby out

Maybe don`t bother with the Reverb. It seems to have a small sweet spot (the area where everything is perfect). the Rift S has a much larger sweetspot. Seems the Rift S is best for the price.

Edited by seafireliv

3 hours ago, seafireliv said:

Maybe don`t bother with the Reverb. It seems to have a small sweet spot (the area where everything is perfect). the Rift S has a much larger sweetspot. Seems the Rift S is best for the price.

Yes, good point, Seafireliv. I think the S is definitely within my sights, and for all the right reasons too. First I will move my PC to my finished basement. I have a large desk holding my gear right now,but I'm looking to buy a flight sim  chair and frame so I can place my HOTAS and rudder pedals in a better position. I've located one on Amazon and reviews look OK.  https://www.nextlevelracing.com/products/next-level-flight-stand/ 

Flyby out

• Upvote 1