stupor-mundi

Game server connection lost

Since recently, maybe about 2 weeks or so, I get waaayyy more frequently than before, "Game server connection lost".

This is usually while tanking, but I spend way more time tanking than flying, so it's probably not significant. I don't think this began with the last small update, I think it's more recent.

I also think the error message is misleading, because it also happens when I'm in the multiplayer list which shows the different game servers. I.e. the connection that's lost is really the one to the central server.

I commented on this in chat and other players had it as well.

On 7/21/2019 at 9:12 AM, stupor-mundi said:

Since recently, maybe about 2 weeks or so, I get waaayyy more frequently than before, "Game server connection lost".

This is usually while tanking, but I spend way more time tanking than flying, so it's probably not significant. I don't think this began with the last small update, I think it's more recent.

I also think the error message is misleading, because it also happens when I'm in the multiplayer list which shows the different game servers. I.e. the connection that's lost is really the one to the central server.

I commented on this in chat and other players had it as well.

If its the central server, the error code is that the connection is lost to the "master server".

When I get this error, it sometimes shows up on the Server list screen after I've been disconnected from a game server.

It appears to be a random bug that affects some people more than others. Some people never get it, others get it all the time. Often only from certain servers. Many people notice it more frequently after an update, or that it switches the server the problem occurs on after the update.

For example, I never used to get the error on combat box but would consistently get it on KOTA. Now I can play to my heart's content on KOTA but I get the disconnect error on Combat Box once every couple sorties. I can also play easily on TAW now whereas before I had issues. I have a better Internet connection now, which opens up more servers for me. but the server that is the closest to me and has the lowest ping is combat box. Very weird.

The error code is generic and you will get the same error code when you are kicked from a server for ping being too high, or if your internet connection drops.

I personally believe it has to do with the Dserver and game becoming more sensitive to unstable or variable connections between servers and players since the last round of updates to the netcode. That is when I started noticing it for me and for many others as well. Often when I am disconnected this way other players will tell me that they have seen messages that I am going to be kicked for too high of ping, but I do not see this messages.

Unfortunately, the problem presents as a connection issue, so support has told people to fiddle with their network settings, etc. Obviously you should make sure your firewall settings are good and your router is properly configured. but seeing as this has popped up for you randomly I don't think that will help. If it is a bug or an issue with the software (and I have no idea how it couldn't be) then I hope the dev team is working on it. Numerous people have reported it as a bug. But it has to be said that because of how it happens and the sheer randomness of it it is probably a tough nut to crack.

• Upvote 1

I only get the "master server" dialog very rarely.

But when I got the "game server" message, when I was in the list, it must have been a misleading dialog, since in that situation there is no connection to individual game servers. It must have been the central server. At any rate, that dialog appearing while being in the server list was unusual, whereas the in-mission discos are extremely frequent now.

I have been (in the last weeks) kicked far more frequently than ever before, also when flying, so this appears not to be tank specific.

What I've forgotten to mention in the first post is that this occurs on servers where I don't in any way have a slow ping.

I checked my multiplayer settings because I wanted to make sure a setting I had once set was still there ... there was a rule you should check your transfer speed on one of the test sites, and then divide that by something, and enter it into the setting for multiplayer transfer, something Mbit...

I now saw in the settings that this config has disappeared. Apparently the game attempts to calibrate itself in this regard?

Could it be that this change is connected to the issues?

Two observations which might have something to with it (I'm suspecting that some bulk data transfer happens which screws up the ping):

When tanking, in recent weeks, let's say I drive from A to B at top speed, and suddenly the game freezes for half a second or so. Sometimes, at this point, disco happens, other times, it recovers. This type of freeze is completely new. I used to have multiplayer stutter or microstutter which mostly went away by setting no vsync and 80fps (I set that some months ago), but this is entirely different.

When my tank is destroyed, involving fire, it now often happens that I'm already in 'spectate' for a few seconds, i.e. nothing much graphics wise is happening, but then the ping message appears and i get kicked. I suspect that also in this situation a bulk transfer kills the ping.