Winger

Sun much too bright in VR

Posted (edited)

Hey guys. I noticed that the sun is far too bright in VR.
I cannot say since when because i only got startet again in Flightimming and IL2.

When I have the sun somewhere in my view almost the whole screen gets white. Cant really see very well anymore. I think its ok if the sun in blinding you to some degree. But as it is right now is very overdone in my opinion. Can anyone confirm?

EDIT: ingame Gamma is already lowered to 0.8 and it doesnt really matter if i turn off HDR or not.

Edited by Winger
  • Upvote 2

That's like this since the latest patch. I have already posted it in the update thread in response, but it was flooded with cheering over the (otherwise great) patch. It looks more like Sirius than like the solar Sun.

The producer of IL-2, Jason Williams, may be our only channel of communication to the Russian developers here. He ordered a VR headset last week, so I hope he'll notice the issue as well and may ask them to fix this. Anyway, posting bug reports or in the patch thread may help too ☝️😃

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

That's like this since the latest patch. I have already posted it in the update thread in response, but it was flooded with cheering over the (otherwise great) patch. It looks more like Sirius than like the solar Sun.

The producer of IL-2, Jason Williams, may be our only channel of communication to the Russian developers here. He ordered a VR headset last week, so I hope he'll notice the issue as well and may ask them to fix this. Anyway, posting bug reports or in the patch thread may help too ☝️😃

will do. thanks!

I reduced the bright sun and glare to an acceptable level by setting the weather conditions to cloudy.

Havent really noticed if it's stronger than it should be, but the sun does feel blinding, much like in real life when you look in its direction.

I have noticed that I squint when looking at it. My brain tells me I'm looking at the sun😂

4 minutes ago, kissklas said:

Havent really noticed if it's stronger than it should be, but the sun does feel blinding, much like in real life when you look in its direction.

I have noticed that I squint when looking at it. My brain tells me I'm looking at the sun😂

:good:

Gotta love VR:

" What you mean I can't spin my head around and check everywhere around me whilst I fly?"

" Sun is blinding me when I look at it?"

" Whadya mean I can't zoom x15?"

Man this is too much like real life...

Disclaimer: The above just said in jest, not poking at anyone just having fun.

;)

• Haha 4

I think the sun SHOULD blind. If you into it or close to it. But not if its anywhere within your entire FOV. This is what it does right now.
Almost the entire FOV gets white when the unobstructed sun is somewhere visible.
IMHO this is too much and has nothing to do with realism anymore.
I consider this a bug.

• Upvote 2

With my Pimax 5k+, I set overall brightness to low and left and right brightness to -5 in PiTool, together with gamma turned all the way down in-game.

Even so, the sun glare is still somewhat overdone I find.

Happy landings,

Talisman

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 56RAF_Talisman said:

With my Pimax 5k+, I set overall brightness to low and left and right brightness to -5 in PiTool, together with gamma turned all the way down in-game.

Even so, the sun glare is still somewhat overdone I find.

In the Low and Balanced settings sun glare is annoying as it fills the FOV of the headset but those settings on the 5K?

You trying to reproduce night fighting?? 😝

Problem with High and Ultra is having a machine that can run them with decent render targets.

On second thoughts, with 150 FOV sun staring fills approx 100 degrees FOV leaving 20+ on the sides.  This on a 15.00 / 3pm time in Stalingrad Winter clear sunny day.

Is it annoying to fly into or have your target fly towards when fighting - yes but it seems fine size wise, maybe just soften the intensity of it with a some yellow tinge instead of blinding white.

Now back to cantered HMD displays and removing the need for Parallel Projections 👍

Edited by blitze
recent observations.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, blitze said:

In the Low and Balanced settings sun glare is annoying as it fills the FOV of the headset but those settings on the 5K?

You trying to reproduce night fighting?? 😝

Problem with High and Ultra is having a machine that can run them with decent render targets.

On second thoughts, with 150 FOV sun staring fills approx 100 degrees FOV leaving 20+ on the sides.  This on a 15.00 / 3pm time in Stalingrad Winter clear sunny day.

Is it annoying to fly into or have your target fly towards when fighting - yes but it seems fine size wise, maybe just soften the intensity of it with a some yellow tinge instead of blinding white.

Now back to cantered HMD displays and removing the need for Parallel Projections 👍

My in-game graphic settings are set to balanced.

In-game gamma correction is turned right down to 0.8.

PiTool overall brightness is set to low and PiTool left and right brightness set to -5.

I agree that the sun glare is overdone.

Happy landings,

Talisman

P.S.  PiTool left and right contrast set to +2.

Edited by 56RAF_Talisman

Moving head side to side and/or up/down to use canopy rail to block does help some. Bright still but that lessens it and has helped me see better looking close to where the sun is. Using a rift CV1

• Upvote 1

To the ones poking fun here,  I guess it's based on a misunderstanding. May not have been clear as well here:

It's not about the brightness of the sun.

It's about its size,  and the size of its glare. 

Once it gets into vision it blocks the entire horizon in one direction - if it's in the west, the full western hemisphere is blocked from view. There is no looking below or beside it. It fills the entire FOV. 

It does not happen on all map settings but on many. Check this out:

To try it yourself, look at Stalingrad winter map, 10am or 4pm for example  (it happens in many settings but these show it the best). 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

To the ones poking fun here,  I guess it's based on a misunderstanding. May not have been clear as well here:

It's not about the brightness of the sun.

It's about its size,  and the size of its glare. 

Once it gets into vision it blocks the entire horizon in one direction - if it's in the west, the full western hemisphere is blocked from view. There is no looking below or beside it. It fills the entire FOV. 

To try it yourself, look at Stalingrad winter map, 10am or 4pm for example  (it happens in many settings but these show it the best). 

This.

Well said.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Nothing more fun than a Jabo 190 Career in the Kuban flying morning bombing missions with the glorious sun in your face on Ingress.

Ah the joy.  Using the 190's cockpit bars can help but - yes, the fun and joy of such a bright glare in your face 😎

Oh - Talisman - not sure on the screen difference between the 5K and 8K but I am flying on Normal backlight brightness in Pitool 144, ingame brightness at 1 on Low graphic settings with no change to pitool brightness and contrast or colour sliders.  PiTool il2 game render set to 1 with SteamVR video @ 50% and App @ 100%.

I believe the 8K is warmer in colour to the 5K but not sure on brightness.  If on Balanced ingame then ingame brightness I dial back to 0.8

Edited by blitze

Posted (edited)

Y`know, the sun never really bothered me at all... Yes it`s bright, and it`s far reaching; seemed natural to me, but I don`t go trying to stare at it. I look past it. I kinda thought that`s how it`s meant to be, but I`ve only flown the Moscow campaign so far.

It certainly hasn`t been an unrealistic obstacle.

Edited by seafireliv
  • Upvote 1

Then there is something wrong with it. The sun is often easily 5-6 times the size of the real sun. The solar Sun isn't like Sirius. The one in-game is. 

Maybe tied to parallel projection? How does it come then that my clan mates with Odyssey+ reported the same?

One thing is certain,  the sun's giant size is only bugged in VR. I started the same environment on the monitor,  and it looked normal. 

The sun seems larger on the vive pro as well. 

On a side note , it would be nice if the sun would blast the AI pilots faces too :crazy:

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Then there is something wrong with it. The sun is often easily 5-6 times the size of the real sun. The solar Sun isn't like Sirius. The one in-game is. 

Maybe tied to parallel projection? How does it come then that my clan mates with Odyssey+ reported the same?

One thing is certain,  the sun's giant size is only bugged in VR. I started the same environment on the monitor,  and it looked normal. 

I will observe more next time I fly. Using Rift S.

• Thanks 1

I confirm this problem too. Before last patch, looking in the direction (not directly to) the sun never was as blinding as it is now. You can't see anything, except white light. Even if you manage to put the cockpit frame between you and the sun, the white light covers everything.  Nobody can fly with that light. I hope this will be solved in the next patch.

Pimax 5k+ here.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, E69_Luke said:

I hope this will be solved in the next patch.

Pimax 5k+ here.

Nope. Same brightness. Maybe the next one...

• Sad 1

The reaction to Luke's post is my eyes watering not merely out of sadness, but because of Sirius shining down upon Stalingrad Winter.

Odd as it looks ok to me in a Rift. The sun is quite bright after all. 

You could always do what I do - put my hands up to cover it then realise what an idiot

I am and have a beer. 

von Tom

• Like 3

Fenris is right.  It has got bigger.   Infact it looks like it's about to go supernova!:o:

Bloody hell, we're all about to die before they release the freakin' Pony!:(

Maybe this should be in the Bug reports subforum @LukeFF. I agree with you that this is very annoying and unnatural.

I wrote a bug report here!  Maybe you can vote thumbs up in there. Hard to tell how to gain their attention, maybe that's how. Hope they'll check it out and fix it for us 😊

• Like 1

Did the latest patch change anything by chance?

Well I fly with monitor. And the sun is brighter now. With less problems for 2d users. 

To me it seems like a improvement. Since it 

looks absolutely as realistic without burning your eyes. 

It is realistic but give another disadvantage to VR users, witch I think is not good since I am going that road myself. 

Bottom line is, are you sure it is going to be fixed? To me it seems like a deliberate improvement and not a bug 

11 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

Well I fly with monitor. And the sun is brighter now. With less problems for 2d users. 

It is realistic but give another disadvantage to VR users, witch I think is not good since I am going that road myself. 

Bottom line is, are you sure it is going to be fixed? To me it seems like a deliberate improvement and not a bug 

i can not imagine that the devs want that you are actually blind whenever you have the sune anywhere in your FOV as VR user.
Thats in no way realistic. So I really hope it will be fixed.

2 minutes ago, Winger said:

i can not imagine that the devs want that you are actually blind whenever you have the sune anywhere in your FOV as VR user.
Thats in no way realistic. So I really hope it will be fixed.

I do not mean it is a improvement but they ment it to be. I am not sure but VR optimization might come  after changes in the 2 D environment. 

Do they know? 

4 hours ago, LuseKofte said:

To VR users it's so bad right now that it puts me off from flying. It's a bug here.

To 2D users, it seems an improvement, as you stated.

Book under unintended consequences I guess. Who's their VR-branch beta tester? Maybe we should talk to him?

Oersonally I do not think they know about it. There should be possible to tone down the light for VR only. 

But they read the forums. And there are numerous posts/threads already. But i agree. A word of recognition and if its considered to be bug or intention would be awesome.

Posted (edited)

Sun was always a pain for me in Pimax 5k, especially winter maps , recently because of that issue I stopped playing that great game.

Unfortunatelly Pimax LCD panels has low colors palette. Ppl with OLEDs should not complain..

Edited by TWHYata_PL

Posted (edited)

They do complain too, unfortunately they are blinded as well. Today again, a buddy flying on Kota with me. Samsung Odyssey+.

Maybe to help it you can also upvote the bug report .. and enjoy IL-2 again soon. For me it's also a pain right now.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Not only is it too bright. The problem is the sun also does not get stopped by the cockpit posts like it does on screen.   

5 hours ago, TunaEatsLion said:

Not only is it too bright. The problem is the sun also does not get stopped by the cockpit posts like it does on screen.   

Not with my 3dmigoto mod.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

In Rift S I find it realistic. It might be the small fow that does  it but I find it not more annoying than in my screen. 

I think in real life like in a car flying toward the sun is a pain in the ass and avoided by mission planners. You simply dont do it. If you have to blame the mission builder. 

It was a common procedure of counter measure,  if you got someone on you tail you fly against the sun if possible.