Sign in to follow this  
ITAF_Rani

TOP GUN 2 official trailer

21 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

Two possible endings here, one Mav dies on the mission or two he bags two and becomes a certified Ace. 

Jason  

‘No need for “or”.  He bags 2 to become an ace but is subsequently killed.  Probably while saving someone else.

2 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

5. in the shot with Ed Harris, Mav looks a bit disheveled and he is in the spacesuit. I bet that flight didn't go well and Mav almost died, hence the "Not today" comment.

Yes. My bet it is the briefing of a mission like Chuck Yeagers ride in the NF-104 in the movie „The Right Stuff“ with an equal outcome. They seem to portray Tom as a Chuck Yeager to find an excuse to bring in an elderly.

1 hour ago, Jason_Williams said:

but I don't think it would be hard to bring one out of mothballs, but I think that would have made the news here.

It would actually be very hard, as those aircraft not only had to be decommissioned, but destroyed for not being at disposition for scavenging parts to sell to Iran.

38 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

Yes. My bet it is the briefing of a mission like Chuck Yeagers ride in the NF-104 in the movie „The Right Stuff“ with an equal outcome. They seem to portray Tom as a Chuck Yeager to find an excuse to bring in an elderly.

It would actually be very hard, as those aircraft not only had to be decommissioned, but destroyed for not being at disposition for scavenging parts to sell to Iran.

Such a shame, Makes it extremely unlikely that we will ever see them at airshows.

3 minutes ago, ACG_Herne said:

Makes it extremely unlikely that we will ever see them at airshows

Same is true of most things post, wot, 1960? Just too complex and expensive to be worth keeping running... 

32 minutes ago, ACG_Herne said:

Such a shame, Makes it extremely unlikely that we will ever see them at airshows.

Tomcat in storage:

f14-amarc-23.jpg

• Sad 3

In the first  TOP GUN ( 1986....oh my God was 13) the opening scene when the crew assisting the F14 ready for the take off...is one of that things impressed in my heart.!!

• Upvote 1

Just now, ITAF_Rani said:

In the first  TOP GUN ( 1986....oh my God was 13) the opening scene when the crew assisting the F14 ready for the take off...is one of that things impressed in my heart.!!

That, and 'splash the zeros' is what made me buy the DCS Tomcat..

• Haha 1

Welp, reading this tread may have been a bad idea and kind of ruined it already.. Not pointing fingers at anyone; it's my fault for reading on...

I’m hoping the climax isn’t a fight against drones...odds are high they will play a big part unfortunately.

We get so few quality aviation movies, and I’ve always been a fan of Top Gun.

Watched it a few months ago:

Civilian chick ACM instructor and all.

That was always a face-palm but I can overlook it

Trivia question, anyone know why that happened? 

No Google!!

17 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Civilian chick ACM instructor and all.

Based on a real person though. Went by the nickname 'Legs'. Ah, the 80's...

Ok after reviewing the trailer yet again that's not a P-51, but looks more like a modern T-6 trainer.

Jason

I wonder who the 3 Star is at 1:25? Looks a bit like Slider or Hollywood.

9 hours ago, ACG_Herne said:

made by the same guys I think

I hope it's better, not to be a Negative Nelly but I found the Spitfire doco to be quite underwhelming.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

looks more like a modern T-6 trainer

I went full geek and slowed it down, and reckon you're right, though it's so blurry it's hard to tell. 

9 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

If it’s a T-6 II they painted invasion stripes on it.  I think it’s a P-51.

You were saying?

T-6_Texan_II.thumb.jpg.278fa1ad8eafda53925deb277f09d2e4.jpg

I watched it yet again and it's really tough to tell. I only see one stripe on the bottom wing not three. 

Jason

There is clearly 1 white stripe on each wing.  Same as Cruise’s P-51.  The nose is also the wrong shape for a T-6 II.  

Also, I doubt they’d show a T-6 in Air Force colors in a Navy movie unless it was crashing...

shape of wing on airplane in video is not of that T6 II, also his big exosts are not visable in video and they would be so its not that T6 II.

and quick serch on interwebs shows this, so i think its just good old P-51:

they spend all cgi budget on actors and beach sceans no left for airplanes, they have to use real ones :D

Edited by 77.CountZero

its same one from twiter pic, you can even see red nose

compared to T6II, shape is not same, wing, buttom tail, and exost on nose

gallery03.ashx

Edited by 77.CountZero

Soooo...

The reason Kelly McGillis is an instructor...

Originally she was going to be a girl on the beach that Tom would meet. However she didn’t care for how the part was written and didn’t want to wear a bathing suit.

So she pitched the instructor idea and the producers went for it.

I remember in that interview she said “nobody wants to see me in a bathing suit, trust me”

So “Charlie” the non-pilot civilian ACM instructor was born.

Yep it is a P-51 after all. Cool. I could not get a good still of the plane in the trailer like above.

The space suit stuff is not going to be some kind of secret X-plane. It's just going to be Mav shooting straight up in an F-18 to some super high altitude to launch an ASAT weapon or something. In the trailer there is the Time on Target countdown and then he pulls up. That's the beginning of the test. Maybe he'll be assigned to China Lake Naval Weapons Center. Hence the dry lake bed in the shot. Clearly he is in the desert somewhere through a good portion of the film. The trailer is remarkably linear in it's lay out. Tells the whole plot.

Anyways, I'll see it day one.

:salute:

Jason

I'm going to guess that that F-14 flying off into the sunset is Maverick. They are assigned to attack this base in Iran....uh, I mean some fictitous country, and Mav is hit. He punches out and makes his way to the enemy base, where he.....wait for it......steals an F-14! 

Yes is my P51 !!

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Jason_Williams said:

Yep it is a P-51 after all. Cool. I could not get a good still of the plane in the trailer like above.

The space suit stuff is not going to be some kind of secret X-plane. It's just going to be Mav shooting straight up in an F-18 to some super high altitude to launch an ASAT weapon or something. In the trailer there is the Time on Target countdown and then he pulls up. That's the beginning of the test. Maybe he'll be assigned to China Lake Naval Weapons Center. Hence the dry lake bed in the shot. Clearly he is in the desert somewhere through a good portion of the film. The trailer is remarkably linear in it's lay out. Tells the whole plot.

Anyways, I'll see it day one.

:salute:

Jason

Jason we want Tom to play here with us flying a P51...so invite him !!

😃

no doubt cruise makes good movies and his no cgi taste is exquisite i wont be missing this

although i think kelly and iceman should be in it however old

hell what odd patology has this world with the elderly

Edited by raaaid
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Poochnboo said:

I'm going to guess that that F-14 flying off into the sunset is Maverick. They are assigned to attack this base in Iran....uh, I mean some fictitous country, and Mav is hit. He punches out and makes his way to the enemy base, where he.....wait for it......steals an F-14! 

Please no.

Also no homoerotic volleyball scene please...make in ping pong or badminton this time.

I cant' wait for this movie...I'm getting all hyped dammit.

Looks awesome. It will actually make me go out to a theater. 

Edited by SharpeXB

Movies suck lately.

Historically my wife and I are used to getting to the theater once a week or so, but the past few years, and worse than ever this year, it's been less and less.

Nowadays we're lucky if there's something worth seeing every few months - it sucks.

So much of what is produced nowadays is sick, twisted crap or just plain stupid.

I look forward to and welcome this movie even if it's a bit cheesy. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MeoW.Scharfi said:

What is 1:24? The cockpit doesn't look like the SR71 one. 

I believe it's an F-35

when i saw for the 1st time top gun i was 14 and they shew it illegally in xmas in high school

i still rememebr how all chicks screamed wehn tom appeared

boys not to be less screamed with kelly but it was much less enthusiastic and i didnt

so the volleyball shot is nailed on :)

15 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Movies suck lately.

Historically my wife and I are used to getting to the theater once a week or so, but the past few years, and worse than ever this year, it's been less and less.

Nowadays we're lucky if there's something worth seeing every few months - it sucks.

So much of what is produced nowadays is sick, twisted crap or just plain stupid.

I look forward to and welcome this movie even if it's a bit cheesy. 

I can only second that. It's either a romantic comedy (yawn), some comic-movie (grow up already!) or some re-make of a movie that used to be good, but will blow because the remake won't touch you the way the original did.

Want to see Lion King? Get the DVD or watch it on Netflix.

I want originality that is good and will literally have me say "That time and money was well spent on the movie!"

Haven't seen a movie in over a decade that blew me away.

As I pointed out earlier, TG was Miami Vice with jets, as it checked off literally the same squares:

- fast paced action

- hot, young people looking good on screen and saying cool, quotable lines

- a great soundtrack

- awesome visuals (from the opening till trough the credits)

- having an impact on fashion

I can't see TG2 live up to that. Especially because music pretty much blows today, too.

During my time at flight school (Comercial Pilot) volleyball was compulsory on Wed afternoons... 😧

Cheers, Dakpilot 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

I can only second that. It's either a romantic comedy (yawn), some comic-movie (grow up already!) or some re-make of a movie that used to be good, but will blow because the remake won't touch you the way the original did.

Want to see Lion King? Get the DVD or watch it on Netflix.

I want originality that is good and will literally have me say "That time and money was well spent on the movie!"

Haven't seen a movie in over a decade that blew me away.

As I pointed out earlier, TG was Miami Vice with jets, as it checked off literally the same squares:

- fast paced action

- hot, young people looking good on screen and saying cool, quotable lines

- a great soundtrack

- awesome visuals (from the opening till trough the credits)

- having an impact on fashion

I can't see TG2 live up to that. Especially because music pretty much blows today, too.

next weekend you have proper movie coming Once Upon a Time in Hollywood by Tarantino, M. Robbie, B.Pitt and DiCaprio, so better get to cinema and watch it :)

Spoiler

On 7/20/2019 at 6:42 PM, ITAF_Rani said:

Yes is my P51 !!

giphy.gif

Jason we want Tom to play here with us flying a P51...so invite him !!

😃

excellent idea !

Convince him to let Han put Tom's P51 through its paces, so he can get a feel for it and do justice to the game version, then give Tom a virpil setup with VR for his service. 

Don't give IL2 away though, a heavy discount perhaps but there has to be limits ;)

On 7/21/2019 at 2:45 PM, Bremspropeller said:

Especially because music pretty much blows today, too.

Kenny Loggins is writing the soundtrack for Top Gun 2.

Edited by Leifr
  • Upvote 1

This is a .Behind the scene. video made by The Fighter Pilot Podcast. He's a retired Navy and TOPGUN instructor. Found his insights pretty interesting

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sweet - he sounds like Super Dave Osbourne.

• Upvote 1