Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
WWSitttingDuck

Spawn issues in FC (and BoX)

Recommended Posts

simplest of missions.  4 AI.  All AI spawn in 6s after mission begin, and all AI have an "on killed" link to the 6s timer that spawns them. Kill one ai, and another should spawn in 6s.

 

There should never be more than 4 ai in the mission (in this general area).  Run the mission for few hours, and there are about 250 ai flying around.  Tick delay was at 87......

 

Made all the FC  planes BoX planes, and it is not as bad, but after an hour, there are 5 ai flying around.

 

spawns.thumb.jpg.5560920dac50e3181e9cf056b79bf7f0.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most likely the devs haven't added the ww1 planes to the list of planes for the poi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a couple of things to try:

  • Confirm that all the planes are generating OnKilled and not some other message.
     
  • Include a Delete trigger in the spawn logic, as follows:

                                   + ----------------------------- < ---------------------------- + 
                                    |                                                                       |
      Begin ------>------- 6s ----->----- Spawn ----->----- Plane ----->----- 0s
                                                                                      |                      |
                                                                                  Delete ---- < -----+

             OnKilled from the plane triggers the 0s timer.

             0s timer triggers the Delete trigger and the 6s timer.

             After 6s, a new plane is spawned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

will certainly try that Jim.  It should NOT be necessary, but will try it.

 

I did try some different things, with better results.  With 4 FC planes and "spawn at me" checked, and in advanced plane properties "enabled" checked, I  only have 18 ai flying around after 10 or so hours.  This is no one joining the mission.  only way a plane should generate an "on killed" is by running out of fuel and crashing. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WWSitttingDuck said:

will certainly try that Jim.  It should NOT be necessary, but will try it.

 

I did try some different things, with better results.  With 4 FC planes and "spawn at me" checked, and in advanced plane properties "enabled" checked, I  only have 18 ai flying around after 10 or so hours.  This is no one joining the mission.  only way a plane should generate an "on killed" is by running out of fuel and crashing. 

 

 

I wondered if it was possible for a plane to generate multiple OnKilled messages before disappearing, which is why I suggested the delete trigger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should also deactivate your spawner as soon as the plane spawns(OnSpawn -> MCU Deactivate->Spawner), and then only re-activate it later when needed to spawn another instance of the plane. Try for example putting the OnKilled event into another timer that then activates the spawner after say 5 seconds. That way, any extra OnKilled events that the original object generates will be "absorbed" by just resetting that 5s timer....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks flashy....this was suppose to be just a "screw around for the squad" mission.  Anytime someone want to get on, there would be some planes for them to shoot down.  Shoot one down, another one appears...like i said...mission sat for I don't know how long, and there are over 200 ai flying around in a circle.

 

Jim....that is exactly what I was thinking....if so, it appears to be a worse situation for the FC planes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this is the mission after about 14 hours....funny how it is just the dolphin..(there are 79 of them in there..)..it happens to the pfalz in other missions...

 

and, no one has been playing it, it has been just running by itself.

 

1382477409_serverissues.thumb.jpg.542d7aa968eb8f6e7dd8ea8094174083.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is very odd. Did you implement the fail safes Jim and I mentioned to try a prevent new planes spawning without the first instance being dead? If so, you might need to build more timers into the logic to make sure that the first plane is well and truly dead before another one can spawn - like maybe even wait a full minute before re-enabling the spawner..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, WWSitttingDuck said:

this is the mission after about 14 hours....funny how it is just the dolphin..(there are 79 of them in there..)..it happens to the pfalz in other missions...

 

and, no one has been playing it, it has been just running by itself.

...

 

 

Can you post the mission please.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

flashy...not yet...i want to let the mission run a bit to see what happens.  I will try Jim's, but that will now mean if a pilot is putting a few bullets into the enemy, and kills it, it will disappear...not a lot of fun.  Now, if we had a decent log parser might be able to tell what is going on...

 

Jim..

http://bhah.homeip.net:192/Old Fokkers/Misssions/lapino fc ai test D.rar

fyi:  I did try doing the spawns by "on report" with no luck.

The Command attack is in there for another reason.  If you fly Axis, and head 270 dragging the enemy ai over to the Axis portion, once you get in proximity of the Axis AI, the Allied AI will pay absolutely no attention to you.  Was trying to remedy that with a command attack...which did nothing.  An FC plane will completely ignore a human enemy if there are enemy ai around.

 

 

Edited by WWSitttingDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, WWSitttingDuck said:

flashy...not yet...i want to let the mission run a bit to see what happens.  I will try Jim's, but that will now mean if a pilot is putting a few bullets into the enemy, and kills it, it will disappear...not a lot of fun.  Now, if we had a decent log parser might be able to tell what is going on...

...

 

 

You could try setting the 0s timer to something like 1 minute.

 

2 hours ago, WWSitttingDuck said:

...

 

Jim..

http://bhah.homeip.net:192/Old Fokkers/Misssions/lapino fc ai test D.rar

fyi:  I did try doing the spawns by "on report" with no luck.

The Command attack is in there for another reason.  If you fly Axis, and head 270 dragging the enemy ai over to the Axis portion, once you get in proximity of the Axis AI, the Allied AI will pay absolutely no attention to you.  Was trying to remedy that with a command attack...which did nothing.  An FC plane will completely ignore a human enemy if there are enemy ai around.

 

 

 

Thanks. I did not see any other cause for excessive spawns other than multiple OnKilled messages (assuming that's possible). 

 

I don't have any suggestions re. getting the AI to pay attention to player planes.

 

Some comments:

  • Set the Attack Area commands to the altitude at which you want the attacking planes to patrol.
  • I never could get the POI translator to work when I wrote the editor manual, but I notice that it has an "Attack Air Targets" option (the 4th option down).
Edited by JimTM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Download and check the AI Damage Respawn Logic Group available on Page 5 of this Mission Making and Mission Editor Groups Sharing Topic. With some editing you should be able to create what you wish.

Reset the Command Damage Timer to suit your needs. 10s works well with the 1m Delete. You'll need to Reset the Respawn Gate to 1m 5s then.

For adding Aircraft WPs and charging CMD Attack MCUs have the Initial Spawn Timer target them. You'll need to creating another 1s Timer which is targeted by the Respawn Gate that will retarget those same WP and Attack CMD for the newly respawned AI.

I don't use On Killed for this, rather what is set up within the group works well and solves your possible problem of multiple ON Killed events jacking up the spawns. 

Tip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks.  will look into that.  But an starting to think it is not an "on killed" problem.  Was flying in a circle with 4 friendly ai...no enemy in sight....next think I know there are 5 friendly...one spawned in out of no where for no reason.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Okay, I took your mission and made it an SP mission so I could run it at 8X and observe the results. I also gave all the planes 1% fuel so they would run out all the time and I think I found the problem. The Dolphin is the only plane whose pilot doesnt bail out when it runs out of fuel, but it still seems to throw a OnKilled event when this happens (like all the planes), and this then spawns a new instance of the Dolphin. However, the old instance of the Dolphin is still flying and trying to do a dead-stick landing, and when he either succeeds or dies, this then also throws an OnKilled and spawns another Dolphin. I think thats why you are ending up with lots of Dolphins after a long time..

 

Some other things to consider with this OnKilled event:

 

What happens if the plane runs out of fuel and its pilot bails out (OnKilled thrown), but  then the pilot is killed on his way down (maybe even by his own plane, which nearly happened a few times as I was testing). Would that throw an OnKilled for the pilot as well? I think it wouldnt, but I'm not sure..

 

EDIT: Oh, by the way, your Spad doesnt have a spawner. I'm not sure if that was intentional? 

 

Edited by Flashy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Flashy...good thinking on the sp idea.👍👍👍

 

No, the spad should have an on spawned event...my bad..funny,,i tripled checked the mission before i put it up so someone would not make me look like an idiot...

 

Am going to do what you did but with just a Pfalz, cause we are having the same issue with that plane on the axis side.

 

So, if I delete the dolphin,,, (and maybe the Pfalz), I can run this type of mission for hours, and will always have the same amount of planes when i started?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WWSitttingDuck said:

 

 

Am going to do what you did but with just a Pfalz, cause we are having the same issue with that plane on the axis side.

 

hmmm, I didnt know you were having the same issue with the pfalz - that might be a slightly different issue then because the pilot of the Pfalz does bail out when it runs out of fuel. We will need to test that specific case to see whats happening. If I were you, I'd remove all the other planes from the mission other than the Pfalz, make it a SP mission, and run it at 8X time compression to see what happens. I would still think its an issue with them running out of fuel, so give him like 5% fuel and then you can test a lot of those cases in a short amount of time, and pay special attention to what happens after he runs out - I still have a hunch its an issue with multiple OnKilled events being generated when that happens..

1 hour ago, WWSitttingDuck said:

 

So, if I delete the dolphin,,, (and maybe the Pfalz), I can run this type of mission for hours, and will always have the same amount of planes when i started?

 

Well, I wouldn't say that for certain! Mission editing is never as easy as you think it should be, and its a bit like other forms of programming in that things you think can never happen end up happening all the time, and then when you do finally find the bug you wonder how it ever worked at all in the first place!

 

ovmasg0cbqm01.thumb.jpg.c2333a3ab6ed4771f8a46208fe121f8e.jpg

 

But by all means try removing the Dolphin and see if that fixes the issue. If it does, we would know its something specific to the Dolphin, and I would bet its that he doesnt bail out and therefore can be killed "twice" (once when the plane runs out, and once when he lands or crashes..)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

from what I have seen, think you were on spot.  Changed the timer linked to the spawn trigger from 6s to 59 secs (and 2 minutes for the dolphin).  Server has been up for 3 hours, and still just 4 planes on each side.

 

Command Attack Area (attack air) still has no influence on AI Planes.

 

AI will still completely  ignore Human pilots if there enemy AI close by.

 

Thank you very much...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, WWSitttingDuck said:

from what I have seen, think you were on spot.  Changed the timer linked to the spawn trigger from 6s to 59 secs (and 2 minutes for the dolphin).  Server has been up for 3 hours, and still just 4 planes on each side.

 

Command Attack Area (attack air) still has no influence on AI Planes.

 

AI will still completely  ignore Human pilots if there enemy AI close by.

 

Thank you very much...

 

No worries, but I am still a bit concerned about why the Pfalz was also doing that (he seems to bail out like all the others, so my theory wouldnt work for him), but if changing the timers fixes the issues then its all good..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I've always found onkilled event unreliable as it can trigger multiple times and sometimes not at all (when a plane belly lands and is still active)

 

When a plane is in the air I use the onPlaneCrashed event instead to determine a plane getting shot down. (esp as none of them are going to be landing on an airfield)

Maybe also add onPlaneBingoFuel event  to delete and respawn a plane too.

 

The other thing to do is maybe add logic around players spawning to start the planes spawning in rather than a begin mission trigger.

Even better still just use a zonecheck  as its far cleaner implementation method IMHO.

Edited by =RS=Stix_09
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...