Which Axis Plane should I main  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Which Axis Plane should I main

• Bf 109 G-14
    • Bf 109 K-4
    • Fw 190 A8
    • Fw 190 D9

Posted (edited)

So I cant decide. I want to train and just use one as my main and get really good with it because when I play, I go for like 95% realism and try not to crash or get shot down. The only thing I use thats not ww2 real is the gps map. No Hud or anything else like engine overheating messages ( I cant navigate at all yet even when I drive I get lost its embarrassing lol). So back to my main point. I have been flying the G-14, K-4, A8, and D9 a lot lately.  And each one has things I both love and hate. I like to do experiments and fly around and shoot down slower unarmed Ju 55s as well as others for target practice and I keep flip flopping. So I will let the community decide write which plane I should use and why. Thanks :) (Allied plane will be P-51D this is non negotiable lol)                   I have about 3 years experiance with this sim and Rof most of you would prob still consider me a noob as I have a lot to learn yet but I can do all the basic stuff Im still learning and perfecting tactics and such. 

Edited by Gamington
  • Upvote 1

There are lots of different answers.

1. Pick the one that you like best.

2. If you are an end to end campaign flyer pick the one that you are using in your campaign.

3. if you are into multiplayer pick the one that will be available on servers and bring you success.

4. If you are really new to the game pick a relatively easier plane to use.

If it was me and my motivation was #3 I would choose the FW 190 D9.  If my motivation was #4 I would choose the Bf109 K4.  But that's me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Im still sort of a beginner. My motivation is training to be somewhat decent for multiplayer eventually. I do like flying all of them I just cant decide. :(

I would say not the A8, simply because the FW190 A has some pretty nasty stall characteristics.  Not sure if those are also present on the D9.  109 is IMHO the best choice as it combines limited engine management with relatively gentle handling characteristics and good effectiveness against almost any opponent.

I personally love the 190 As for their fighting style and versatility.  Those little planes could do anything.  However, by late 1944 the A8, while still very competitive,  was getting to the lower end of the performance spectrum.

I would go with either the G-14 or A8. That way, you should be just as effective or better if/when you move "up." Plus you will stand out in servers full of 109Ks and 190Ds. Dare to be different. Chicks dig confidence 😎. (lol)

• Upvote 2

I'd pick the Fw 190D9. It's plenty capable in all aspects and has pretty much no serious vices, but it's not quite as EZ-mode against the AI as the K4. 

Go 109G14. Its the most commonly available of the 109s in BoBP. It will nearly always be available on MP servers that have late war planes, whereas sometimes the K4s and D9s will be restricted or not there. The 109s are more flexible in terms of fighting style whereas the FW190s do best with a narrower set of tactics. It isn't quite as high performing as the 190D9 and the 109K4, which is a good thing as it will teach you to fight more cautiously, and when you do fly the higher performance machines you'll find it much easier. T

If your goal is to eventually get to multiplayer, realistic nav is a must as most of the active servers have no GPS, and really isnt all that hard after a few hours practice. I learned in the QMB by taking off a from an known point, climbing in a large circle over my airfield, then picking out landmarks on the map to fly to. You can estimate the azimuth to fly along and if you pick landmarks that aren't that far apart even being off by a few degrees won't cause you to get lost.

If you get lost, fly towards the nearest distinctive landmark - a lake, village, or complex river confluence/crosssing - and circle above it. Pick out surrounding distinctive landmarks, note their general directions, and then check your map, starting from your presumed starting location and working your way outwards until you see features on the map that match what you see in-game. 

Real-life pilot manuals on navigation exist and those are great for learning as well. It must be noted that navigation in Il-2 is somewhat simplified as we don't have things like magnetic declination, induced turning error in compasses etc. Plus the in-game maps are perfect representations of what is on the ground, whereas the maps real pilots used had errors, were out of date or less detailed. 

Il2missionplanner.com has maps that allow you to plot out where you want to go in a mission and gives you travel times based on inputted airspeeds, so you can use this to plan practice flights and stick to it as good as you can. You will see improvements very rapidly with dedicated practice. Everyone gets lost sometimes (including some of the online 'greats'), so don't feel ashamed.  Ff all else fails, just get high and fly back over friendly territory.

One other piece of advice for multiplayer: its tempting to stay in single player mode for a long time in an attempt to 'prep' your skills, but past a certain point flying against the AI no longer teaches you useful lessons. The strengths of the AI are spotting and (depending on skill level) gunnery, and the weaknesses of the AI are tactics and use of energy. The opposite is true online - most human pilots don't see as well as the AI and are easier to sneak up on, whereas it is nearly pointless to try this with the AI. Many online pilots have a good grasp of energy fighting and those that don't pay for it, and most servers have squad flyers or people flying in ad-hoc strike packages that support each other in ways the AI doesn't. 

So the old adage, train how you fight comes into play here. Don't wait too long to dip your toe into online play. Berloga is a great place to get into some scraps and learn the ropes before going onto more realistic servers where the time investment may make getting killed  sting more and discourage you. The learning curve is steep but you will improve much quicker fighting human pilots than you will fighting the AI. Don't take getting shot down personally, bask in the small victories, and if you find yourself dying alot just remind yourself that its not a real war and anyway, RedKestrel has probably died more times than you have and he's still grotesquely optimistic!

• Upvote 7

Posted (edited)

I do like the guns better on both the G-14 and A8. I can fly the A8 but once in a while I screw up and crash because I tend to turn to fast mostly because of my twist stick Hotas. I feel im good enough to fly all 4 though. As before I said im better at turn fighting than BNZ but I like the whole idea of ambushing someone then escaping. Ill go with the highest vote.( wol allows you to check mission route map and see where your at however you have to take your eyes off the sky for this unless they changed it)

Edited by Gamington

Posted (edited)

I say a8 for its heavy firepower and versatility.  With boost and flaps it turns surprisingly well and is still very fast down low.  The a8 is also the longest serving bobo axis craft (early summer 44 iirc) and knowledge gained in it will translate to the d9 and earlier A's.  If your really about TnB though maybe the g14 will be a safer option if the 190 stall catches you. 

Redkestrel mentioned navigation, the nice thing about axis craft is that many have the option if not default to carry a radio compass that will point you back home unless the beacon was destroyed.

Edited by Hajo_Garlic
  • Upvote 1

Just food for thought.... 

I consider myself well-versed in combat flight sims, but am returning after a years-long haitus from when there was only BoS and BoM was in pre-order phase...so now I feel like a rookie again, and considered the same options.  MP has been my primary focus in other sims for, well, decades at this point.

Then I saw all the stuff that I'd always ignored in the "Scripted Campaigns" section here and knew what to do. A scripted campaign is like, 12 missions or so (give or take) so I'm "flying my way up the ladder".  Although I started out with the slowest bird (Hs129) that's not a fighter, it paid off with boning up on engine management and marksmanship. Next, I'm going through the "Lions of Kalinin" campaign and rediscovering what a joy the Bf109 E-7 is.   Next it will be the campaigns focusing on the F and G series, then The Butcher for some Fw190 time.  

This has all been intermixed with forays into MP using the knowledge acquired in these planes, so it's not the grind it may sound like.  Actually I am having a blast, and when I finally get to the G14, K4, A8 and D9 I'm really gonna appreciate them, and know full well how to exploit their strengths.  And with the early focus on ground support/mud moving missions, getting my revenge with some air to air kills is oh so sweet!!!

Just something to consider... There is a very rich palette of situations and experiences to enjoy in this sim/game.

• Upvote 2

It's REALLY difficult to help pick an aircraft for someone else. My suggestion is to fly them all in the QMB, get a couple of hours on each, and see which one starts to fit your style. That's the freedom that a flight sim gives you.

• Upvote 1

Atm im leaning towards the G-14 After that very well thought out response. I did a few test runs with it. The D9 is winning the vote though. I like the D9 but im so bad at hitting bombers with those rockets which is why I was leaning towards the A8 the other day.

21 minutes ago, Gamington said:

Atm im leaning towards the G-14 After that very well thought out response. I did a few test runs with it. The D9 is winning the vote though. I like the D9 but im so bad at hitting bombers with those rockets which is why I was leaning towards the A8 the other day.

As cool as the rockets are. The stock D-9 is by far the most common configuration and the rockets were something trialed in combat but not commonly equipped.

They were also meant to be fired into the middle of a large formation of bombers to break it up. Right now we don't have too many uses for them.

• Upvote 1

You just gonna have to fly them all and see what suits your flying style.

If I am going Pe-2 hunting, I will be going with a Fw 190A for fire power or if I get a bird with a 30mm, that's my choice

However, if I am looking to encounter enemy fighters, 109 all the way(just not the G-6 unless it has a 30mm). With the 109, you can BnZ or turn fight a tad and the 20mm is enough to get the job done. This suits me and it may not work for you.

Some people can do some amazing things in the Fw 190, which is primarily a B&N fighter - but can turn fight under the right conditions (...I just don't know how to)

• Upvote 1

Once you’ve mastered one the others will often come easier to you. Staying with one plane for a while let’s you settle in, get familiar and focus on tactics.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JG13_opcode said:

If you can win in the A-8 you can win in anything.

Honestly Ive done several test flights today like 4 for each plane against 4 spit 9s with a20s and 8 of one fighter type scrambling to get in the air while the spitfires attack at close range and I keep doing the best with the A8 for some reason. I survive longer and get the most kills with it so I guess its definatly going to be that. I seem to utilize BNZ more with it because of the not so great turns. I know I said I tnb more but I think im bad at it. Im enjoying hitting and running more. So thanks all your opinions. Im going to stick with my A8 and those MK cannons.

Edited by Gamington
  • Upvote 1

For pure performance I’d say the K4, as in terms of raw performance it simply rules all others and is almost untouchable when flow correctly. However it is a plane that shows the most of its potential with disciplined pros.

For a pure,  easy access generalist,   I would say the D-9. Its is also very potent, and perhaps more balanced - the guns are far more user friendly, having plenty of ammo, great firepower and being easy to aim.

The G-14 is basically the more of a low-medium altitude dogfight oriented 109.

A-8 only if you are interested only in having more dakka than anyone else.

• Upvote 1

Consider the following:

1. Online K4 and D9 will probably be limited at least on certain servers/maps. A8 and G14 shouldn't be.

2. What do you enjoy more - elegant 1v1 floret fencing or brutal medieval many vs many axe-butchering? In first case pick the 109, in latter the 190.

• Upvote 1

I'm not really sure why you'd limit yourself to one plane?

3 hours ago, 4./JG26_Onebad said:

Dora or the A-8, 109s are for incels.

that kind of negativity doesn't belong man, c'mon.

3 hours ago, 4./JG26_Onebad said:

Probably frustrated cuz a 109s energy has to be kept high at all times. You turn or pull once too much and too hard and you‘re forced to go defensive. K4 especially due to the rather poor low speed performance. G14 is a bit more forgiving.

109s are easy to learn, but very hard to master. You might just have given up on mastering it.

Get your negativity outta here.

1 hour ago, =FC=SteelFalcon said:

Probably frustrated cuz a 109s energy has to be kept high at all times. You turn or pull once too much and too hard and you‘re forced to go defensive.

As much as 190. I would say even more for the 190. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, F/JG300_Faucon said:

As much as 190. I would say even more for the 190.

The 190 at least gives you the option to hit the deck and run if you messed up. A 109 cannot really make enough distance fast enough.

maintaining energy in the 109 is a pretty tricky skill to master, as they turn quite well and pilots often get the feel of „just 1 more second and a bit more elevator and i can get the shot off“ which wastes a ton of energy, leads to a very high AoA and bleeds your speed. Patience is really key there.

but enough off topic, both are strong aircraft designs if flown right.

it is more the pilot than the machine. And personal preference of course :)

Time to give my personal opinion.

If you want to have a main plane destinted to improve your skill on Germany, use 109G-14

¿Why? Is not the best around, and its good for improve your SA when P-51 and Tempest arrives, because you are not superior to them, and you have to outsmart them.

190A8 also is an option but even harder.

For destroy your enemies untill P-51 and Tempest comes out, use the D9. 

Is better than K4 on high speeds reaction, you  can inflict more damage easier, is equally faster to K4 DB engine untill 6000 and you dive better. 

I use DB engine of K4 in comparison because on normal circunstances, DC should be locked until certain moments of 1945, and it should be available on short numbers.

40 minutes ago, =FC=SteelFalcon said:

The 190 at least gives you the option to hit the deck and run if you messed up. A 109 cannot really make enough distance fast enough.

Seen like this... I agree :) 

3 hours ago, Melonfish said:

I'm not really sure why you'd limit yourself to one plane?

I don't think people should limit themselves in the long term. But sticking with one plane for a while, especially when beginning, just helps to learn quicker IMO. You get a chance to really get to know the plane. 

6 hours ago, 4./JG26_Onebad said:

You're not supposed to have sex with the planes, dude. Just putting that out there. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RedKestrel said:

I don't think people should limit themselves in the long term. But sticking with one plane for a while, especially when beginning, just helps to learn quicker IMO. You get a chance to really get to know the plane. 

You're not supposed to have sex with the planes, dude. Just putting that out there. 

I'll give you that actually, very much like flying the hurricane over the spit in CloD you get to know it's strengths and weaknesses.

as for the latter, i'm starting a line of waifu pillows with cartoon ww2 fighters on them.

15 minutes ago, Melonfish said:

as for the latter, i'm starting a line of waifu pillows with cartoon ww2 fighters on them.

"Do you think my radial engine is too big senpai?"

• Haha 1

I am training with 2 planes one is the P-51D when that comes out and one for axis. I am doing this so that I become better at surviving with it. So far I seem to just do better with the A8 never said I would not fly any others which is why I said (Main).

TBH I think after flying them for a few rounds, you will start to gravitate towards your favourites when they are available naturally.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
On 7/18/2019 at 12:08 AM, Gamington said:

Honestly Ive done several test flights today like 4 for each plane against 4 spit 9s with a20s and 8 of one fighter type scrambling to get in the air while the spitfires attack at close range and I keep doing the best with the A8 for some reason. I survive longer and get the most kills with it so I guess its definatly going to be that. I seem to utilize BNZ more with it because of the not so great turns. I know I said I tnb more but I think im bad at it. Im enjoying hitting and running more. So thanks all your opinions. Im going to stick with my A8 and those MK cannons.

I'm not sure flying against the AI will tell you anything about which aircraft is best.  The AI is completely unrealistic and predictable and can never match a human unless it cheats via the flight model.

You can usually tell within about 5 seconds if it's an AI aircraft or one flown by a human.

Edited by JG13_opcode
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
On 7/18/2019 at 7:23 AM, 4./JG26_Onebad said:

I like the 109, its a great and valid plane, but I do like having a good laugh about the stereotype of pilots who main the BoX 109. Guys who live on the moon, obsess over K/D, never help team etc. It's not serious. People should lighten up.

Edited by deaddonkey

Posted (edited)

I mean, the 109 is the most basic, boring plane of the war, in either performance, looks, design features and so on.

Everybody who says that it's their favourite plane must have an imagination and loftiness of a valley girl.

Don't get me wrong, I'm competetive as hell, but the only people that love the 109 are Wehraboo tryhards and History channel regulars.

Prove me wrong.

Edited by 4./JG26_Onebad
  • Upvote 1

AI is only good for aiming practice, improving your gunnery skills. The average human online is 10X the challenge AI is.

K4 is the best from a raw performance standpoint, and has a tendency to cause allied flyers to become irate online, so you will have to watch out for that.

If you can "get good" with the A8, you can dominate with a Dora-9.

If you can "get good" with the G14, you can dominate with the K4.

So, you need to start with G14 or A8 and earn your way into the Dora or Kurfurst. Of the two, the A8 requires the most discipline and skill. The G-14 flys better at the margins, the A8 better at high speeds...but once you are good in the A8 all other aircraft will seem easy. It's up to you to figure out it's unique envelope and keep it there.

I am offline atm which is why im only flying against AIs. I should have internet back in about 3 or 4 months depending on when im promoted.

Posted (edited)

Cough...

Edited by JG7_X-Man