Novice-Flyer

What Pacific battle are you looking forward to the most?

What Pacific Battle are you looking forward to the most?  

238 members have voted

1. 1. Which one(s) are you looking forward to?

• Midway ( Including Wake Island and Coral Sea)
    • Guadalcanal (Solomon Islands)
    • New Guinea
    • Philippines
    • Okinawa (Including Iwo and Chichi Jima)
    • Other (Please comment)

I have been doing some flying in X-Plane in the greater New Guinea / Bismark Archipelago / Solomon Islands / New Hebrides area.

With medium-sized GA twins (like a King Air 200 - kind of comparable in general performance with an A-20 or B-25), it takes ages to traverse the area - even in 3-4 times time acceleration.

Those maps will be enormous and that will be a challenge for campaign-missions, as there will be a lot of straight and level flying.

The real stunner in the area was the weather - it would be cool, if this could be accounted for. It's not really a wlk in the park to fly across the Owen Stanley Range when there are walls of cumulonimbus clouds leaning against the cliffs - going up to 50000ft and thus way past the operational altitude of your airplane. Flying around the weather is no option, since it will deplete your fuel reserves. You HAVE to punch through it, with all it's nastiness.

3 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

I have been doing some flying in X-Plane in the greater New Guinea / Bismark Archipelago / Solomon Islands / New Hebrides area.

With medium-sized GA twins (like a King Air 200 - kind of comparable in general performance with an A-20 or B-25), it takes ages to traverse the area - even in 3-4 times time acceleration.

Those maps will be enormous and that will be a challenge for campaign-missions, as there will be a lot of straight and level flying.

The real stunner in the area was the weather - it would be cool, if this could be accounted for. It's not really a wlk in the park to fly across the Owen Stanley Range when there are walls of cumulonimbus clouds leaning against the cliffs - going up to 50000ft and thus way past the operational altitude of your airplane. Flying around the weather is no option, since it will deplete your fuel reserves. You HAVE to punch through it, with all it's nastiness.

Got to agree about the challenges of flying in the Pacific, having bimbled around it in an X-Plane C-47. Not sure about the Owen Stanley Range going up to 50000 ft though, I think you may have misread something somewhere. ;) Wikipedia says the highest point is Mount Victoria, at 13,248 ft (4,038 metres), and even my C-47 can manage that comfortably, if you allow plenty of time for the climb.

1 hour ago, AndyJWest said:

Not sure about the Owen Stanley Range going up to 50000 ft though, I think you may have misread something somewhere.

The OSR isn't, the CB clouds are 😉

47 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

The OSR isn't, the CB clouds are 😉

Ah, I see what you mean. I must admit, I've not flown X-Plane with solid cloud that high, since my rig drops FPS badly with too much cloud.

For me it is an obvious choice. Battle of Midway! It was more or less an even battle. It would be interesting how the battle had played out if it wasn't an ambush. I am not sure why carol Sea would be included. Geographically they are quite away from each other. If Coral Sea was separate, it would be hard choice for the same reasons for Midway. 

1 hour ago, PikeStance said:

I am not sure why carol Sea would be included. 

Same plane set and longer campaigns/careers.

How can the pool author could forget Battle of Mariannas ??

The biggest carrier engagement ever (15 USN ones vs 9 IJN) with some ground based aircraft on japanese side as well

1 hour ago, StaB/Tomio_VR*** said:

How can the pool author could forget Battle of Mariannas ??

The biggest carrier engagement ever (15 USN ones vs 9 IJN) with some ground based aircraft on japanese side as well

Even more carriers to model, but the same limited gameplay options of Midway.

And what are the players of the Japanese side supposed do to? Play target drones?

For a game like this, the Battles of the Philippine Sea and Leyte Gulf are even worse scenarios than Okinawa.

On 9/30/2019 at 4:46 AM, Bremspropeller said:

Good points.  I like the potential of a Guadalcanal campaign for the mix of aircraft and land and sea operations, but the Japanese were flying quite a ways to the operations areas and that was also true for both sides in the various carrier battles.  I'm not sure there are any great solutions for that in a sim environment.  I can imagine a smaller map with one side spawning in the air at an edge point but that means only one set of carriers or bases.

• Like 2

On 9/30/2019 at 4:46 AM, Bremspropeller said:

Our current Rhineland map is already larger than most players will be willing/wanting to fly even halfway across.

I’ve learned this while building the P-47 campaign. From Chievres to Aachen is roughly 30-35 minutes in a Jug, that’s one way. Straight, level, no mountain peaks to fly between like Kuban. That’s not even halfway across the map. Early feedback = too far. From a testing standpoint I wholeheartedly agree.  So imagine just that distance in a Zero, or Wildcat, or Val.

What was/seemed like a short flight (and was a short flight relatively speaking) in real life is different than what constitutes a long flight in front of a computer monitor with ‘life’ tugging at us from all directions. 

So I solved the problem by changing bases in the case of this Jug campaign.

PTO? I propose the following.

A well thought out “generic” islands map that can serve as any theater we want, at different scales. If designed well, with some larger islands and land masses at either end/alone the borders, Bases at different distances etc, it can be the Solomons, it can be New Guinea, it can be the Philippines.

I can have Rabaul be a much shorter flight from Henderson etc by using a well designed base 3/4 of the way, or half-way  up the map.Most players can suspend disbelief enough for the sake of a campaign/mission that’s actually flyable.

Then if someone wants to fly a Zero for 4 hours the map provides that option as well. This solution provides room for creativity, flexibility while not sacrificing immersion in most respects.

I’d rather have a 20 minute flight from Rabaul to Henderson than NO flight from Rabaul to Henderson...and nobody is going to fly 2 hours one way anyway let alone 4.

Edited by Gambit21
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

A well thought out “generic” islands map that can serve as any theater we want, at different scales. If designed well, with some larger islands and land masses at either end/alone the borders, Bases at different distances etc, it can be the Solomons, it can be New Guinea, it can be the Philippines

I like the idea of a generic Pacific map. Make the islands on the map vaguely resemble the islands that the war fought over like Midway, Iwo Jima and Guadalcanal. Then simply release plane sets to better depict each of those battles.

However I doubt the devs would go for that idea. For the simple reason that it isn't realistic.

I don't know what the answer will be, but very few battles in the PTO involved short distances to enemy airbases. Carriers usually launched at extreme range to get the first blow (another problem with the Battle of the Philippine Sea, the Japanese ships stayed out of range of the US carrier a/c through most of the battle--their planes were launched at maximum range, some being told to continue to Saipan for refuel before returning to the carrier which failed because of the US attacks on Saipan's airfields).

But carriers are best for PTO as they are flexible, you can use them for historic ranges for offical campaign/carer, then easy use them in playable ranges for single missions or user made campaigns, or in fast food df ranges that MP need, and there is few good carrier v carrier/islands battles that can be done with almost same 10x airplane set.

3 hours ago, Motherbrain said:

I like the idea of a generic Pacific map. Make the islands on the map vaguely resemble the islands that the war fought over like Midway, Iwo Jima and Guadalcanal. Then simply release plane sets to better depict each of those battles.

However I doubt the devs would go for that idea. For the simple reason that it isn't realistic.

Yep - but something has to give somewhere. With the PTO concessions will have to be made, as is always the case with maps.  I can point out many concessions/compromises on the current Rhineland map for instance.

Kuban, all of them. Just the reality of resources and development.

So make the compromise work toward/in favor of gameplay.with PTO map/s.

Edited by Gambit21

Well I agree with Gambit. PTO was working well in FB 46 and in cfs 2. 

This is played as a game online and artistic adjustment for customers needs won’t really be considered unhistorical. 

I liked to take a two hours flight partly over clouds to see if I could find that Japanese fleet based on briefing only. 

But acknowledge the fact that you can not sell that on commercial basis. 

But it is a true sense of accomplishment

On 10/25/2019 at 2:54 PM, Gambit21 said:

I’ve learned this while building the P-47 campaign. From Chievres to Aachen is roughly 30-35 minutes in a Jug, that’s one way. Straight, level, no mountain peaks to fly between like Kuban. That’s not even halfway across the map. Early feedback = too far. From a testing standpoint I wholeheartedly agree.  So imagine just that distance in a Zero, or Wildcat, or Val.

A well thought out “generic” islands map that can serve as any theater we want, at different scales. If designed well, with some larger islands and land masses at either end/alone the borders, Bases at different distances etc, it can be the Solomons, it can be New Guinea, it can be the Philippines.

That's funny because when the Solomons map was being worked on for 46, people were all YAY FINALLY, and then when they started flying on it the complaints started...WOW THE FLIGHT TIMES ARE SO LONG or HOLY CRAP THERE'S SO MUCH WATER...

If you want Pacific island battles, you can break up the Solomons into smaller maps, such as say the New Georgia area to Vella Lavella. If they can make the full Solomons map, then great, they can break the islands down for online maps.

On 10/25/2019 at 1:54 PM, Gambit21 said:

I’d rather have a 20 minute flight from Rabaul to Henderson than NO flight from Rabaul to Henderson...and nobody is going to fly 2 hours one way anyway let alone 4.

I agree 100% with this.Something has to give.

Off course, 7. December 1941 at Hawai :)

Phillipines should be interesting.

The british colony Malaya and the Battle of Singapur would be interesting too.

Also, I would like to see Midway or the japanese conquest of Guam.

Flying Tigers over the Hump in West China, anyone?

PS:

"Finding Carrier Fleets" propably wont happen in multiplayer. First, its time consuming, secondly everybody just would click on the enemy team's side to check it out.

PPS:

If there ever would be Carriers on the game, where we could start from:

Not everybody could spawn at once, propably 4-6 planes on the end of the CV. Than imagine, if the first plane is AFK...you can not maneuvre around it.

For example on a possible 7. December '41 Hawaian map, the japanese spawn points would be in the air with a spawn window or something. All 5 Minutes 4 planes or something like that, just to simulate the "waves" of attack.

Edited by KG_S_Kalle_Kalutz82

"What Pacific battle are you looking forward to the most"?

Lol at this point... any. 😄😥

• Upvote 1

Out of curiosity: How many 10 plane/variant sets are we talking about to cover the Pacific (obviously leaving out the strategic bombing campaign that can't be modeled)?

47 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

Out of curiosity: How many 10 plane/variant sets are we talking about to cover the Pacific (obviously leaving out the strategic bombing campaign that can't be modeled)?

You mean just new planes or planes already in the system? Also, the question could be applied to ETO/MTO, as we aren't done with them yet, and keep coming up with Bf-109 variants that are must haves.

1 hour ago, cardboard_killer said:

You mean just new planes or planes already in the system? Also, the question could be applied to ETO/MTO, as we aren't done with them yet, and keep coming up with Bf-109 variants that are must haves.

New planes mainly... I've been idly calculating how long it'll be before they've done everything... I've got estimates for ETO/GPW/MTO/Korea but I haven't looked into the Pacific...

On 10/26/2019 at 3:54 AM, Gambit21 said:

Our current Rhineland map is already larger than most players will be willing/wanting to fly even halfway across.

What was/seemed like a short flight (and was a short flight relatively speaking) in real life is different than what constitutes a long flight in front of a computer monitor with ‘life’ tugging at us from all directions. 

So I solved the problem by changing bases in the case of this Jug campaign.

I can have Rabaul be a much shorter flight from Henderson etc by using a well designed base 3/4 of the way, or half-way  up the map.Most players can suspend disbelief enough for the sake of a campaign/mission that’s actually flyable.

Then if someone wants to fly a Zero for 4 hours the map provides that option as well. This solution provides room for creativity, flexibility while not sacrificing immersion in most respects.

What if they implemented a 'skip to combat area' function? Like you take off from Rabaul, set a flightpath/waypoint to your designated combat area and hit a key to skip the 1-2 hour flight time. You could have it calculate whether you get intercepted, stumble across something or if have engine/fuel issues and then drop you out of skip mode to deal with that.  

Looking forward to fly various Japanese aircraft. Early, mid and late war types. Fighters, bombers, ground attack, flying boats.

I hope we'll have them in GB series one day.