Novice-Flyer

What Pacific battle are you looking forward to the most?

What Pacific Battle are you looking forward to the most?  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Which one(s) are you looking forward to?

• Midway ( Including Wake Island and Coral Sea)
    • Guadalcanal (Solomon Islands)
    • New Guinea
    • Philippines
    • Okinawa (Including Iwo and Chichi Jima)
    • Other (Please comment)

14 hours ago, SYN_Vander said:

My first choice from the list would be Midway. Proper carrier operations. Finding your ships and landing in one piece is just as rewarding as getting a kill!

Carrier landing at the end of a CoOp was always the most rewarding thing.

I flew with a great group of guys and we'd almost always take the time to fly back and land for that "Miller Time" moment.

from my point of view we should have naval warfare first because it is most easy for the devs and it will introduce carrier tech, so Pearl Harbor, Coral Sea, Midway and Santa Cruz should be good for a first IL2 Pacific. After that they shall work on amphibious assault and infantry tech and we can jump on other operations

Eh...carriers are not “most easy”

On 7/31/2019 at 11:52 AM, Gambit21 said:

One of the things I love about Midway is the "what if" scenarios that can be explored.

"what if the task force sent to the Aleutians was turned around early, or not sent there at all?"

"what if Japan succeeded in occupying Midway?"

"what if timing or success was different with recon flights early in the day?"

"what if Japan lost 2 fewer carriers??

etc etc.

There's more there to do than some realize.

To be fair, those what-if scenarios only provide the same two activities as the regular Midway events.  Bomb a ship or bomb a small island.  Just the briefings would change a bit.  Don't get me wrong, I would really like a carrier game.  It would just need more gameplay options to give it some longevity.  

Yep - one of the reasons I’ve been a proponent of the Solomons map + carriers.

...but all that carrier vs carrier, anti-ship, fleet defense stuff will be loads of fun.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I see a lot of gameplay opportunity for a Midway map. There are plenty of interesting mission scenarios, even with just a water map: reconnaissance, search & rescue also add variety. I guess the reconnaissance missions will also be great for tactical gameplay in combination with the Air Marshal feature (MP).

For SP you have a lot of different missions to choose from, just for the Battle alone if you are willing to fly different aircraft types. Pity we won’t get to fly a B-17. How cool would it be to see if you could actually hit a Japanese aircraft carrier? 😃

Edited by SYN_Vander

I have only one reason for wanting midway. 

I really like to have the Devastator. 

We could have early Avenger too. But knowing the priority my guess is we wont get the Devastator anyway so , I am all in for whatever it would be. But I really hope we wont start with 1945 scenario

New Guinea. It’s a lesser-known theatre, with a great variety of aircraft (and P-40 VS A6M2!). Plus, I had family over there.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SYN_Vander said:

How cool would it be to see if you could actually hit a Japanese aircraft carrier?

That's what the USAAF said.  :P

I just hope they start with early war and work their way up to okinawa, instead of making just super known battles with random order.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
On 8/4/2019 at 5:45 PM, InProgress said:

I just hope they start with early war and work their way up to okinawa, instead of making just super known battles with random order.

That would be great...

but there is no precedent for this so far. As the first release on the Eastern front was over a year after the conflict there kicked off and BoBP is starting at the end in the ETO and hoping to work backwards.

That said, I'd wager that as and when they do open hostilities in the PTO, they will start with something super well known, that plays to a US audience and is relatively easy to produce.

And if I'm right about that, then we would be looking at a map that involved as little shipping as possible (no carriers for sure) and as many of the following as possible; P-38, P-39, P-40, P-47, P-51, A-20 & B-25. So that would probably be New Guinea, as you'd have a place for  slightly reworked versions of the P-38, P-39, P-40, A-20 & B-25, with the P-47 and the P-51 being the odd ones out for New Guinea.

5 out of 7 is a flying start, make the B-25 flyable and they would be onto a winner before they even built a Japanese opponent :) 

Edited by Pict
Spelling, tweaking etc.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Pict said:

47 and the P-51 being the odd ones out for New Guinea.

Three fighter groups flew P-47's from bases in New Guinea. And one squadron of the 49th Fighter Group flew them (unhappiliy) for several  months do to a shortage of P-38's. They eventually got their Lightnings back. 

Edited by Poochnboo

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Poochnboo said:

Three fighter groups flew P-47's from bases in New Guinea.

So, 6 out of 7 then :) 

Edited by Pict
Spelling, tweaking etc.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Pict said:

So, 6 out of 7 then

I'm not even sure what this means. But the facts are that the 348th, the 58th and the 35th all flew Thunderbolts out of New Guinea. One squadron of the 49th, the 9th, had to gve up it's P-38 Lightnings for several months as a result of a temporary shortage of those airplanes. They disliked the Jug, very much, and were thrilled when they were reissued P-38's in time for the Phillipines operations. 

Edited by Poochnboo
spelling

16 minutes ago, Poochnboo said:

I'm not even sure what this means.

Apparently :)

Thanks for the historical stuff on the P-47 in New Guinea. I had originally included it in my list and left the P-51 as odd man out, but couldn't remember off the top of my head if it played a significant part there. 

It's not of major importance to my point anyhow, which was my speculating that the first PTO map in the GB series would be New Guinea. I would even go further and guess that the second map is Guadalcanal, using the same logic.

This time they would have already made most of the Japanese types for New Guinea and could concentrate on fleshing out the US hangar, which would already have an early P-39 that could be worked into a P-400 with relative ease.

I would even go as far as to say they could announce Guadalcanal & New Guinea at the same time to benefit from pre-orders.

What Japanese aircraft were present at both Guadalcanal & New Guinea? I'm talking about the general type rather than sub types, eg., A6M Zeke rather than A6M-3 or A6M-2, where a large chunk of the model etc., from one can be used towards making another thereby saving time.

If you still don't understand me, that's ok, it's not obligatory. ;)

2 hours ago, Pict said:

Apparently :)

Ah, okay...I went back and reread the posts. 5out of 7, 6 out 7.....I see what you were talking about. I would be happy with either of these two islands. The fighting on and aroundNew Guinea has a real interest for me. I have a bunch of literature on it. But the allure of the Solomons is there, too. A whole different plane set. Types we haven't seen. Wildcats and SBD's. Even TBD'S. Zero's and Kates and Vals. Bettys. 

I mentioned in another post that I believe that they've already made their choice. With Bodenplatte about to wrap up, pretty soon, I hope it's not going to be long before we know. 

It's funny about us gamers, though. We're always more excited about what's coming than what we've got! We couldn't wait for Bodenplatte, and now that we'll have it soon, we can't wait for the next one!

Yeah they already know what they're doing.

We're just letting of steam because I can't fly PTO...so might as well talk and argue about it until then.

After we know what's happening, we'll probably still talk and argue just as much...until we can actually fly..

...at which point we'll still talk and argue. 

Friendly talking and arguing that is.

1 hour ago, Gambit21 said:

Yeah they already know what they're doing.

Do you mean that you know that for certain?  That they have already decided upon the next title in the series but haven't announced it? 

6 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

Do you mean that you know that for certain?  That they have already decided upon the next title in the series but haven't announced it? 

That’s my educated opinion is all.

Based on certain factors I can’t imagine preliminarily work not being underway. However I’m not certain of anything.

He signed a NDA.  So he doesn’t know.  Or he picked a really strange time to piss away his access.

21 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

He signed a NDA.  So he doesn’t know.  Or he picked a really strange time to piss away his access.

I don't think that suggesting that the developers know what they are doing would be seen as a breach of the NDA. ;)

Just now, AndyJWest said:

I don't think that suggesting that the developers know what they are doing would be seen as a breach of the NDA. ;)

It does if he says that he knows what they’re doing.  Which is more or less what he was implying.  Why do you think Feathered asked “do you know that for certain?”  Which, of course, he doesn’t.  He signed a NDA.  If he knew for certain he couldn’t say a thing.

5 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

It does if he says that he knows what they’re doing.  Which is more or less what he was implying.  Why do you think Feathered asked “do you know that for certain?”  Which, of course, he doesn’t.  He signed a NDA.  If he knew for certain he couldn’t say a thing.

He didn't say he knows what they are doing next. He said that they know what they are doing next. Or at least, he says he thinks they know what they are doing next. At least, I think that is what he is saying...

Maybe we should get Donald Rumsfeld to explain it to us.

11 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

He didn't say he knows what they are doing next. He said that they know what they are doing next. Or at least, he says he thinks they know what they are doing next. At least, I think that is what he is saying...

Maybe we should get Donald Rumsfeld to explain it to us.

Please.  It was obvious what he was implying.  That’s why Feathered asked about it.

The only thing obvious to me is that people on this forum are getting in a tizzy over future IL-2 GB plans, and are looking for any excuse to over-analyse anything that might remotely be construed as a hint. 

No one in this thread appears to be in a tizzy.  Gambit implied that he knew what their plan is.  Feathered asked him to confirm it.  Gambit backtracked.  That’s pretty much it.

Nope. Gambit posted a remark in passing that you seem intent on over-analysing. At least, that's how it seems to me. Not that it matters. Either Gambit knows what the plans are, or he doesn't. Either way, the rest of us are going to have to wait. Either that, or sacrifice a goat and examine its entrails.

1 hour ago, BraveSirRobin said:

It does if he says that he knows what they’re doing.  Which is more or less what he was implying. 

He’s a tester. Everyone already knows that he’s aware of stuff that the rest of us aren’t.

No one in this thread appears to be in a tizzy.  Gambit implied that he knew what their plan is.  Feathered asked him to confirm it.  Gambit backtracked.  That’s pretty much it.

You’re either really right, or next level nut balls wrong - no in between with you.

in this case it’s option number 2, with a healthy dose of reading comprehension fail. I made no such statement nor did I imply it.

I simply said that THEY know...that’s my opinion.

Ah no worries.  I recall you having had contact with Jason over the phone and whatnot, so I wondered if you had an insider's peek.

Posted (edited)

If he had it would be in confidence. And its unfair asking. 

My english is bad but I read nothing of the sort stated above. 

One have to be careful writing anything here, soon enough Sir Robin get pissed off or Luke come along beating a dead horse

Edited by LuseKofte
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
On 8/14/2019 at 6:06 AM, LuseKofte said:

One have to be careful writing anything here, soon enough Sir Robin get pissed off or Luke come along beating a dead horse

Does the horse that Luke is beating belong to Brave Sir Robin?     :poster_offtopic:   

Edited by Arfsix
  • Haha 1

I voted for “other”.  Hopefully it’s Battle for Berlin.  Flying over empty water followed by a slide show when you find the carriers would probably suck pretty hard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

I voted for “other”.  Hopefully it’s Battle for Berlin.  Flying over empty water followed by a slide show when you find the carriers would probably suck pretty hard.

In that case, wouldn’t New Guinea make more sense?

4 minutes ago, [Pb]Cybermat47 said:

You're trying to make sense of a guy who voted for the Pacific battle of "Berlin"

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, [Pb]Cybermat47 said:

Lots of Russians play this game.  Do you think they’d rather fly over New Guinea or recreate their nation’s defeat of Hitler?

27 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

You're trying to make sense of a guy who voted for the Pacific battle of "Berlin"

Actually, I voted for "Other".

Edited by BraveSirRobin

Posted (edited)

Lots of Russians play this game.  Do you think they’d rather fly over New Guinea or recreate their nation’s defeat of Hitler?

Russian customers, and any customers from the former USSR, currently have Battle of StalingradBattle of MoscowBattle of Kuban, and Clash at Prokhorovka to represent their nations’ contribution to WWII.

Lots of Americans and lots of British/Commonwealth customers also play this game. British/Commonwealth customers currently only have Battle of Bodenplatte and Flying Circus Volume 1 to represent their nations’ war efforts. American players currently only have Battle of Bodenplatte.

I think that New Guinea would appeal to the US and British/Commonwealth market (with the US market presumably being considerably larger). Russian customers already have four games’ worth of content.

Edited by [Pb]Cybermat47
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, [Pb]Cybermat47 said:

I think that New Guinea would appeal to the US and British/Commonwealth market (with the US market presumably being considerably larger). Russian customers already have four games’ worth of content.

Not to me.  That's why I voted "Other".