Novice-Flyer

What Pacific battle are you looking forward to the most?

What Pacific Battle are you looking forward to the most?  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Which one(s) are you looking forward to?

• Midway ( Including Wake Island and Coral Sea)
    • Guadalcanal (Solomon Islands)
    • New Guinea
    • Philippines
    • Okinawa (Including Iwo and Chichi Jima)
    • Other (Please comment)

Malaya and Singapore.

Brewster Buffalo

Hawker Hurricane IIB

Vickers Wildebeest

Lockheed Hudson

Bristol Blenheim I or IV

Nakajima Ki-27 'Nate'

Kawasaki Ki-43 'Oscar'

Kawasaki Ki-48 'Lily'

Kawasaki Ki-21 'Sally'

Mitsubishi G4M1 'Betty'

Let's hear it for some really interesting aircraft! Could add the Glenn Martin B10 to those if you really want some fun :biggrin:

Plus no need for aircraft carriers.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, =27=Davesteu said:

The bare minimum planesets are:

Midway: A6M2 Model 21, D3A1 Model 11, B5N2 Model 3 ---vs.--- F2A-3, F4F-4, TBD-1, SBD-3

Coral Sea: A6M2 Model 21, D3A1 Model 11, B5N2 Model 3 ---vs.--- F4F-3, TBD-1, SBD-3

Guadalcanal/Solomon Islands 1942: A6M2 Model 21, D3A1 Model 11, B5N2 Model 3, G4M1 Model 11, F1M2 Model 11 ---vs.--- F4F-4, SBD-3, TBF-1, P-400

IJNAS: 5 aircraft; USN/USMC/USAAF: 7 aircraft

That's the bare minimum and still too much. Carriers not yet included.

Additional planes required for Solomons 1943 include at the very least: A6M3, D3A2, F4U-1, P-38, P-40, B-25

Even a pack focused on the Solomon Islands 1942 and 1943 requires too many different aircraft.

How about Guadalcanal/Solomon Islands 1942 + Carrier battle of Eastern Solomons?

This could give us an campaign/career + carrier vs carrier missions and would also give us important famous carriers (Enterprise/Shokaku/Zuikaku) that can be reused for other battles.

Also with your bare minimum planeset New Guinea might still be possible as another separate release.

Sure compared to New Guinea it would be more difficult to make because of the much larger map + 5 carriers/other ships that they have to create but it might make it more attractive for players to buy because Guadalcanal is arguably more famous then New Guinea and it can be combined with 1 of the 5 carrier battles which alot of people associate the pacific war with.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, ww2fighter20 said:

How about Guadalcanal/Solomon Islands 1942 + Carrier battle of Eastern Solomons?

Sure compared to New Guinea it would be more difficult to make because of the much larger map + 5 carriers/other ships that they have to create but it might make it more attractive for players to buy because Guadalcanal is arguably more famous then New Guinea and it can be combined with 1 of the 5 carrier battles which alot of people associate the pacific war with. 

The aforementioned 'Guadalcanal/Solomon Islands 1942' planeset covers the Battle of the Eastern Solomons without any additions.

Including the carrier battle would spice up the scenario, but it doesn't change the fact that Rabaul and Guadalcanal are 1000 km apart. The Solomon Islands Campaign 1942 is very problematic in terms of gameplay and, in my opinion, far from the best choice.

Scaled down distances between the islands - been done already in 46.

Easy Peasy lemon squeezie.

4 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Scaled down distances between the islands - been done already in 46.

You keep telling me that, but you never suggested a convincing way of doing it. It's one of those unhistorical and far-fetched "compromises".

On a 1:2 map, which would look absolutely ridiculous, Rabaul and Guadalcanal are still 500 km apart.

It wouldn’t look at all ridiculous, in fact you’d hardly know the difference other than flight times.

Lets just see what shakes loose - this is pointless.

7 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

this is pointless.

Yeah, I know that everyone seems to love these discussions, but I have to believe that their decision has already been made, whatever that may be. I say this because we should be getting the final installment of Bodenplatte in a matter of months. I doubt if they wait to finish one and then sit down and figure out what to do next. Research is already being done on the next project, I'm sure, perhaps even some modeling has begun. At least that's the way I see it being done. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Poochnboo said:

Yeah, I know that everyone seems to love these discussions, but I have to believe that their decision has already been made, 

Exactly...whatever is coming is coming. We don't get anywhere arguing (even though Guadalcanal is the best idea) as long as I see PTO I'm happy.

If I have to wait through another entire development cycle for it though I might fall off for a while. I simply need it to keep my level of interest up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't want to be stuck on a boat with 2000 other men.

Give me a beach, some palmtrees and a mountain-ridge for the infantry to take and some Hula girls...

Pacific = Any battle that include aircraft carrier operations, preferable from 1942. Late war is just beat dead chicken. :)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bremspropeller said:

I don't want to be stuck on a boat with 2000 other men.

Frankly, I don't want to be stuck on a hot,  rat infested, mosquito filled, malaria ridden island with 20,000 other men. I don't want to take a dump in a ditch that I had to dig, and worry about some sniper blowing my brains out while I do it. Yeah, I'll take that ship. None of those things to worry about....and I can take a shower every day!

21 minutes ago, Poochnboo said:

Frankly, I don't want to be stuck on a hot,  rat infested, mosquito filled, malaria ridden island with 20,000 other men. I don't want to take a dump in a ditch that I had to dig, and worry about some sniper blowing my brains out while I do it.

You forgot about somebody stealing your favourite pair of moccasins.

Other than that, it sounds like a normal Spring Break trip to me...

When I'm on the crapper on some god-forsaken tropical island, it's gonna smell so bad anyway, any sniper would fall from the tree and be dead before he hits the ground.

21 minutes ago, Poochnboo said:

Yeah, I'll take that ship. None of those things to worry about....and I can take a shower every day!

The ship's gonna be hot and possibly rat-infested, too. Plus there's gonna be them kamikaze-mosquitos.

And you don't want to drop that soap...

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

it's gonna smell so bad anyway, any sniper would fall from the tree and be dead before he hits the ground.

A counter attack..I like that!

6 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

And you don't want to drop that soap...

Oh hell, you can't fit more than one guy in a navy vessel shower, so no problem there. Only problem would be not having enough room to bend over and pick it up!

Well, now that would be a sub. A carrier, yeah, maybe let the soap sit there!

Edited by Poochnboo
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Sokol1 said:

Pacific = Any battle that include aircraft carrier operations, preferable from 1942. Late war is just beat dead chicken. :)

Thats funny - and true.

In the sim though things shake out differently.

1942 is without a doubt the sweet spot.

However after that in 43 I’d like to attack those nasty Black Sheep stationed at Vella Lavella in my trusty A6m-3. I’d also like to take off from Vella Lavella in my trusty Corsair to face those nasty Zeroes.

That’s after Guadalcanal is won and may battles over Henderson occur.

All one damn map.

Edited by Gambit21

2 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

Corsair desu! :)

Hai!

Yes, the Solomons make all things Pacific, possible. Navy, Marines, AAF...they all played a huge part. Like carriers?..major sea battles were fought around those islands. They didn't call those waters, "Iron Bottom Sound" for nothing. Both the Wasp and the Hornet went down, there. 

Only sticky point? It's U.S. and Japan, for the most part. Aussies, too, but they were mostly involved at New Guinea. So this may turn a lot away. 

3 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

I’d like to attack those nasty Black Sheep stationed at Vella Lavella in my trusty A6m-3.

And I'd like to fly a Zero, too, actually. It's my favorite Axis airplane. I never fly for "The Bad Guys" but I really like the Zero. My favorite Axis airplane. Beautiful machine. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Poochnboo said:

Hai!

Yes, the Solomons make all things Pacific, possible. Navy, Marines, AAF...

...and float planes.

A Japanese seaplane force was created on 28 August as the R-Area Air Forceunder the command of Rear Admiral Takatsugu Jojima, and this operated from Rabaul as well as forward operating bases at Buin on Bougainville island, in the Shortland Islands, and at Rekata Bay on Santa Isabel island. The aircraft operated by the R-Area Air Force came from the four squadrons assigned to the Japanese seaplane tenders Kamikawa Maru, Chitose, Sanyo Maru and Sanuki Maru. The primary task of the R-Area Air Force was the provision of air cover for convoys carrying troops, equipment and supplies to Guadalcanal, but the unit also undertook reconnaissance missions around the area of the Solomon islands group, and occasionally attacked Henderson Field.

For crying out loud...tell me we don't need this FFS!!!

9 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

..and float planes.

R Area Air Force. Rufe's, Pete's and even the big Mavis's. And the "Good Guys" (sorry, can't help it) have the PBY. The Solomon's is sounding better and better. But like we said, they know what they're doing next, already. If anybody knows Jason, personally, take him out and get him drunk. Alcohol tends to loosen the tongue....so I've heard.

I voted for the Solomon Islands, but with the view of it being set well into 1943 when both sides had built more airfields... and because of the F4U.

Posted (edited)

Some with planes operating from aircraft carriers. It would be something new to IL-2 serie, big ships, returning to carrier with damaged plane on i.e. TAW when your virtual life matters and you are trying hard to save the plane and the pilot.

Edited by klebor

On 7/19/2019 at 1:24 PM, =27=Davesteu said:

So you want to include 3 out of 5 Japanese aircraft solely for the occasional defence of Rabaul? You are suggesting parts of a New Guinea campaign, not the Solomon Islands.

A Japanese 'Solomon Islands 1943' planeset has to include: A6M2 Model 21, A6M3 Model 22, D3A2 Model 22, G4M1 Model 11

Ki-43 didn't support the Solomon Islands Campaign, except for one time in late January 1943. The small number of Ki-45 in the area was used to intercept heavy bombers.

No unhistorical and far-fetched "compromises" are need - the Papua & New Guinea campaign 1942/43 avoids all these problems.

They were all based on Rabaul so nothing unhitorical there

New Guinea wont happend as you dont have usa navy airplanes and going in PTO for first time in years and not having F4F, F6F or F4U is pointless

P-39s,P40s,P38s,P47s B-25s or B-26s, you can get thouse in any europe based dlc

In solomons you can atleast have navy fighters facing all types of japan airplanes, so if its not carrier operations then solomons make most sence as its still famous from tv and has good planset 

• Upvote 1

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 3:27 PM, Red_Cat said:

Malaya and Singapore.

Brewster Buffalo

Hawker Hurricane IIB

Vickers Wildebeest

Lockheed Hudson

Bristol Blenheim I or IV

Nakajima Ki-27 'Nate'

Kawasaki Ki-43 'Oscar'

Kawasaki Ki-48 'Lily'

Kawasaki Ki-21 'Sally'

Mitsubishi G4M1 'Betty'

Let's hear it for some really interesting aircraft! Could add the Glenn Martin B10 to those if you really want some fun :biggrin:

Plus no need for aircraft carriers.

+1 :biggrin:

Brewster.jpg

B-10 Sembawang.png

• Like 1

Hi all.

I voted even if developers have made their own decission already, because I Iike to vote when there is opportunity to vote :) 

I voted for other option because:

Midway is a famous ballte but I can imagine that making a carriers in this game would be a difficult task.

Guadalcanal would be also challenging to make as already mentioned, simply because of the historical distances beteween bases and again carriers involved in the campaign.

New Guinea is an nice idea but I guess that most of the players thinks about New Guinea from 1943 not 1942, where there were many planes involved, and I think Developers cann't make all of them to make everyone happy like: Beaufighter, Baeaufort, P-38, P-47, P-40, P-39, B-25, B-26, A-20, B-24 & Ki-43II, A6M3, D3A1, Ki-61, Ki-21, Ki-48, G3M2, G4M, Ki-45 and also distances between bases were not so small.

So my other option is something more exotic like Japanese conquest of Burma in 1942 and with more simple planeset.

For example japanese offensive against Rangoon, February - March 1942.

RAF / AVG (American Volunteer Group)

Buffalo Mk.I

Hurricane Mk. II, 

Blenheim MK.I

Blenheim MK.IV

Hawk 81-A2 (Collector plane, used by famous AVG Flying Tigers unit there, so at least we would have some famous unit involved in this product ;) Perfect option for scripted campaign with ground attack missions & defence of Rangoon against air raids

IJNAAF:

Ki-27 Otsu (used by famous 64th sentai there)

Ki-43b (used by famous 64th sentai there)

Ki-48b

Ki-30 or Ki-21-I

K-21-II (Collector plane)

Cheers!

200th_Taro

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

If we have have to get the Pacific...I would like to see New Guinea where great air battles had been fought.

Japanese fighters taking off from Lae attaking Port Moresby

Fron wikipedia:

On the night of 16 May, Sakai and his colleagues, Hiroyoshi Nishizawa and Toshio Ota, were listening to a broadcast of an Australian radio program, when Nishizawa recognized the eerie "Danse Macabre" of Camille Saint-Saëns. Inspired by this, Nishizawa came up with the idea of doing demonstration loops over the enemy airfield. The next day, his squadron included fellow aces Hiroyoshi Nishizawa and Toshio Ōta. At the end of an attack on Port Moresby that had involved 18 Zeros,[9] the trio performed three tight loops in close formation over the allied air base. Nishizawa indicated he wanted to repeat the performance. Diving to 6,000 ft (1,800 m), the three Zeros did three more loops, without receiving any AA fire from the ground. The following day, a lone Allied bomber flew over the Lae airfield and dropped a note attached to a long cloth ribbon. A soldier picked up the note and delivered to the squadron commander. It read (paraphrased): "Thank you for the wonderful display of aerobatics by three of your pilots. Please pass on our regards and inform them that we will have a warm reception ready for them, next time they fly over our airfield". The squadron commander was furious and reprimanded the three pilots for their stupidity, but the Tainan Kōkūtai's three leading aces felt Nishizawa's aerial choreography of the "Danse Macabre"had been worth it.[10]

Edited by ITAF_Rani

Posted (edited)

Other:- Someplace the Japanese won a battle & the Allies were on the back foot for a change.

For example, Singapore, Pearl Harbor, Java. There are many other options.

I would go for Singapore or Java, leaning towards Java as it's the least done or spoken of but offers plenty of action and would bring the Dutch into the fray, which would be refreshing.

No doubt this one will receive 4 shoes and a bag of oats at the dead hoscars, but it is what it is, if I was to grade it myself I'd go with strategies 5 & 9 from the following :) 

Spoiler

dht.thumb.jpg.ac68fd6101942344d804038df65f46c1.jpg

Edited by Pict
Spelling, tweaking etc.

Guadalcanal, New Guinea, Phillipines, Okinawa

Others:

Saipan (with P-47 Razorbacks taking off from carriers and landing on land airfields :biggrin:)

P47-D-318thFG-Saipan.thumb.jpg.d0875203da628fee24dfa31d18df7d71.jpg

ff3feb4acbe3628be59b61ecce21b7ad.jpg.e31a07f6e0dfc7c5c3dc198e8cfb9332.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/27/2019 at 11:21 AM, Pict said:

Other:- Someplace the Japanese won a battle & the Allies were on the back foot for a change.

Guadalcanal - swung both ways for months.

From  purely historical perspective, this is one of the things that makes Guadalcanal so compelling - both sides were absolutely evenly matched, and the momentum swung both ways until the Japanese were finally thwarted, and thus began the drive up the slot. 

I've said it many times, and before it's all over I'm sure I'll say it many more, but the book "Guadalcanal" by Richard B. Frank really is a must read.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Guadalcanal - swung both ways for months.

Indeed it did, but in the end the Japanese lost the battle. Same goes for Moscow & Stalingrad, either of which could have gone either way, but the Germans lost both battles in the end.

That's not to say that I wouldn't look forward to a Guadalcanal add-on, I most certainly would and the recommendation of a good book on the subject is also welcome, might add it to my modest book collection.:good: Guadalcanal would be a great way to start the PTO rolling from the US perspective, better than Pearl Harbor for a host of reasons, not least that most of the US ships needed to be modeled, would be of little or no use in later battles, like the map itself.

However, I would really look forward to see some add-on's where the Axis forces clearly won the battle, regardless of how close it was or how it ebbed and flowed. After all Germany & Italy controlled the whole of Europe and most of North Africa at some point, while Japan controlled a massive chunk of the far east and the Pacific and they never did it by pulling Xmas crackers :) 

Posted (edited)
On 7/27/2019 at 7:21 PM, Pict said:

Someplace the Japanese won a battle & the Allies were on the back foot for a change.

Singapore/Colombo.  Not very exciting though as it was a bit one sided.      I am struggling to think of Axis victories that were not  'Blitzkrieg' style ie where they hit suddenly with overwhelming force.  Those ones don't make good missions.    Midway is another that could very easily have gone either way and if we simulated it then there is a good chance it would.  It all came down to who found the other first and could get a good strike in.  At Midway the US found the IJN first but the first strikes were not very successful and it was only the later strikes and some luck that swung it.

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

Singapore/Colombo.  Not very exciting though as it was a bit one sided.

If you enjoy a good read involving RAF Hurricane MKIIa's try this Hurricane Over the Jungle : 120 Days Fighting the Japanese Onslaught in 1942 by Terence Kelly I bought this and read it a couple of years ago, hard to put down once I started.

One sided maybe, but at 120 days it was pretty intense and not over in a hurry, so hardly how I imagine "lightning war" and from how I read his book, it hardly lacked excitement. I'll let you be the judge if you get around to reading it.

Edited by Pict
Spelling, tweaking etc.

12 hours ago, 150GCT_Veltro said:

Midway

+1.  :salute:  

On 7/29/2019 at 8:16 AM, Pict said:

However, I would really look forward to see some add-on's where the Axis forces clearly won the battle

I don't get this reasoning. What is the difference, who won the battle? Do you think that we're really going to play out the engagements the way it happened? C'mon. You're being silly. So, when you use the Stalingrad map, every time you play it, you have the Germans getting beaten? You actually play on these maps the way the real events played out? 

So, with your way of thinking, we should do Poland. Open cockpit PZL's against BF109's. 

I've got bad news for all the people who admire the WW2 German forces so much, but really....they started to get into trouble pretty early in the war. They lost more men and equipment fighting the Poles than most people realize. Less than a year into war, they lost the Battle of Britain. At sea, while their submarines managed to sink a staggering amount of Allied tonnage, they never did stop the flow of weapons, supplies, and men from traveling across the Atlantic. Her surface navy was, of course, never large enough to really take on the Royal Navy. I'm not saying that Germany did not have successes. That would be rediculous. But, unless you look at battles that occurred very early in the war, you are going to have the AXIS, Germany, Italy and Japan, losing. So...don't worry about who won. Just install these modules, and then do what you want with them.

15 hours ago, 150GCT_Veltro said:

Midway

One of the things I love about Midway is the "what if" scenarios that can be explored.

"what if the task force sent to the Aleutians was turned around early, or not sent there at all?"

"what if Japan succeeded in occupying Midway?"

"what if timing or success was different with recon flights early in the day?"

"what if Japan lost 2 fewer carriers??

etc etc.

There's more there to do than some realize.

Posted (edited)

Yeah, the success of the U.S. Navy at Midway was because of a whole lot of dumb luck! That has to be admitted. When McClusky (I think that sspelled correctly) couldn't find the Jap carriers with his SBD's, he was about to turn back. But he saw a Japanese destroyer heading at full speed and decided it must be going someplace important. He took that heading....right to the Japanese carriers. And the destroyer had been where it was because it had been depth charging a U.S. sub. The Nautilus. So if the Nautilus hadn't been there, if the destroyer hadn't been ordered to stay and sink it, if, if if.......so many.

1 hour ago, Gambit21 said:

One of the things I love about Midway is the "what if" scenarios that can be explored.

Edited by Poochnboo
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Poochnboo said:

Yeah, the success of the U.S. Navy at Midway was because of a whole lot of dumb luck! That has to be admitted.

Nothing to do with the fact that the Japanese navy codes JN-20 & JN-25 had been compromised before Midway. :cool:

6 hours ago, Poochnboo said:

You're being silly.

Charming :) 

You obviously don't understand my point of view on this, and I'm not going make any further effort to explain it.

Edited by Pict
Spelling, tweaking etc.

9 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

"what if the task force sent to the Aleutians was turned around early, or not sent there at all?"

"what if Japan succeeded in occupying Midway?"

"what if timing or success was different with recon flights early in the day?"

"what if Japan lost 2 fewer carriers??

etc etc.

There's more there to do than some realize.

I agree.   The outcome of any recreation in Great Battles would be nothing like what happened in reality because there were so many factors that could have changed everything.   I think s too much importance is placed on the codes being broken as all that meant was that it was an even fight rather than another Pearl Harbour ambush.   

You can add many more 'What if's to your list ie

'What if the IJN had found the US fleet and attacked in force well before the US had even found the IJN fleet?'
'What if the IJN had not prevaricated over whether to load bombs or torpedoes and thus left aircraft cluttering the decks surrounded by bombs to make the damage so much worse?' 
'What if some of the first USN torpedo bombers had got through and made a lucky crippling hit on something important' or vice-versa 'What if one of the IJN attackers had got a lucky hit and crippled one of the major carriers at the start so it could not launch anything or retrieve anyone elses when they were damaged.
'What if the subs had found themselves in the right place before the air battles had even started and taken out some carriers?'

It often seems to me that Carrier based attacks have a much bigger 'All or Nothing' factor than surface engagements.   They so  often go very badly for the aircraft but on the other hand, when they do succeed they have a very big impact on the outcome.   You can lose almost all your attackers and so many attacks that get through fail to hit or do any serious damage but then a single successful aircraft can take out or cripple a major target all on its own and turn the tables entirely.

Posted (edited)

MIdway is interesting mostly because it was a almost certainly failed operation right from the start; at least in terms of actually taking the island itself. The Japanese naval troops where outnumbered and outgunned by the Marine defenders, who had dug in throughly, and had both artillery and light armor support. Add in Japanese inexperience with opposed landings, lack of coordination between landing troops and naval/air forces, the IJN being at the end of it's logistical tether and it's extremely likely Midway would have remained in American hands at the end of the battle. The fleet action on the other hand could have gone either way, especially if the IJN had it's surface fleet in a better position at the start of the battle.

Edited by ShadowStalker887

Posted (edited)

Would love to see a Flying Tigers campaign:

A9C326A4-C8BD-456D-B61A-F94C5A7108E6.thumb.jpeg.e1e742e6ebf689a6f8d99428652d9174.jpeg

My first choice from the list would be Midway. Proper carrier operations. Finding your ships and landing in one piece is just as rewarding as getting a kill!

Edited by SYN_Vander
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1