Sign in to follow this  
No.322_LuseKofte

Pimax 5k+ and Rift S

Posted (edited)

Bear (baer?) bare? In mind I am 53 years old and starts to understand why old people seemingly is stupid with technology. 

I like to have it but in working plug and play order not with too much technocrap. 

I was deciding on a vive s but then one pimax 5k+ came available.

I read you needed a cable and 3 party software to make it work, or at least I believe I read it.

Can anyone confirm if just getting the pimax is not enough.

And the Vive S , I see it is not sold with sensors. Does it track by its own?  

Edited by LuseKofte

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

Bear (baer?) bare? In mind I am 53 years old and starts to understand why old people seemingly is stupid with technology. 

I like to have it but in working plug and play order not with too much technocrap. 

I read you needed a cable and 3 party software to make it work, or at least I believe I read it.

Not sure if you are confusing Vive  with the Rift S or not. There is a Vive and a Vive Pro, and there is a Rift S. Rift S is the successor to the original Rift CV1.

IMHO Rift S is about the best for ease of use, ease of setup, with great image clarity. And the most economical if that comes into play.

I would say in terms of complexity Vive or Vive Pro would be next, followed by Pimax.

To clarify though my point of view is from having used Rift and Rift S and what I have read about the others - have never actually used the others.

Edited by dburne

Odyssey +. Plug and play. Good resolution. No external tracking. Just get a strap to take pressure off the top of your head. 56 year old here.😀

2 minutes ago, dburne said:

Not sure if you are confusing Vive  with the Rift S or not. There is a Vive and a Vive Pro, and there is a Rift S. Rift S is the successor to the original Rift CV1.

No In Norway shops are only selling vive and rift. 

The rest you have to import with additional taxes and custom-fees. Tech is cheap in Norway so there are nothing to gain importing. 

I just believed in the description that there where no sensors with the Rift S only controllers

I might be wrong

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

No In Norway shops are only selling vive and rift. 

The rest you have to import with additional taxes and custom-fees. Tech is cheap in Norway so there are nothing to gain importing. 

I just believed in the description that there where no sensors with the Rift S only controllers

I might be wrong

No sensors with Rift S, only two cables to plug in - Display Port Cable for the headset image, and one USB 3 cable.

And Touch Controllers come with it, which are awesome for some other Oculus games.

You can even use them in DCS if you want...

Edited by dburne
  • Thanks 1

for a pimax 5kplus you only Need one basestation, i am very satiesfied with it!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LuseKofte said:

And what kind of base station. 

Vive base station

Posted (edited)

Well considering I have no basestation I guess the smartest thing is to go for Rift S 

I got the money for pimax but I cannot defend buying a base station as well. And having a 1080 ti I am not sure how it runs

Anyone uses a Vive Pro ? 

I see they go cheap used

Edited by LuseKofte

Posted (edited)

Wait for Reverb version 2 that comes in september when the issues is ironed out.

DCS forum users report better "fluidity" than Rift CV1 pared with the greater resolution and inside out tracking with no need for base stations.
That is also with a 1080Ti but with shadows reduced. No need for supersampling with reverb and that apparently has great benefits for the feeling.

Edited by Goblin
  • Like 1

Considering the emphasis you mentioned on Plug'N'Play, you may want to not go with VivePro, Pimax or Index. All based on Lighthouse, and with Wands/Knuckles Controllers allow for a lot of customization, and lots of fiddling. Maybe best for you is the Rift S, or as Goblin mentioned, the Reverb Version 2 (only if it's re-announced and the issues have been confirmed to have been ironed out).

Also, remember that any Lighthouse headset will require at least 1.5m of distance in front of you to track properly. You cannot simply mount them in a staircase mancave and have them working properly. It's annoying, but that's the way it is. Harry Potter would have posted a complaint already.

As Fenris states and as I can conclude from your pictures you don't have the space to use lighthouses in the tight pit.

I would go for the Reverb or Rift S, wait to see if the kinks is gone with the next shipment of Reverb. I'm personally on the fence choosing from Pimax and Reverb since I'm 80% just using flight sims and car sims.

17 hours ago, LuseKofte said:

Well considering I have no basestation I guess the smartest thing is to go for Rift S 

I got the money for pimax but I cannot defend buying a base station as well. And having a 1080 ti I am not sure how it runs

Anyone uses a Vive Pro ? 

I see they go cheap used

i run a pimax 5kplus with a 1080ti works fine

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This is weird. I do not see any advantage of Reverb in details. Only in the last test you can see the smallest font (fractions on the left). But are aberatii (the letters have little blue shadow).

using a camera to shoot video or pictures inside a VR HMD is notoriously hard, it just gives an assumption of what the image is like.

On 7/16/2019 at 6:33 AM, LuseKofte said:

As others have said, I think you want the Oculus Rift S. It uses built-in cameras so it doesn't need external lighthouse sensors, and it has pretty good image clarity backed up by Oculus' class-leading software. Your 1080ti is plenty good enough for the Rift S. The audio is mediocre but you can fix that with a $20 pair of earbuds. Personally I like the off-ear audio of the Rift S because I can hear when my significant other gets home! 😉  

• Like 2

Yes I will go for Rift S. 

I guess I can settle for it and it will give me the right amount of quality for money. 

I do believe pimax and other types give better expirience. 

But I sm not all in for VR and the price for the Rift S seems to be worth it

many thanks everyone

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, JgonRedcorn said:

Settling should be the rifts new slogan. 

The display is fantastic, the headset is comfortable, and the price is amazing.

Not really sure that's considered "settling".

4 minutes ago, AuburnAlumni said:

The display is a low res low refresh rate lcd screen. The lenses are from the oculus go. It might have been impressive 2 years ago. Unless you own a og rift or a vive your wasting your money, for 200 more dollars you can get 1080p monitor quality picture through the reverb, or go pimax/index for wide fov. The rift s absolutely is settling. 

20 minutes ago, AuburnAlumni said:

:good:

Fully enjoying my Rift S , I found it for me to be a substantial improvement over my Rift CV1.

Apparently if you are not willing to pay €1000 for Valve's headset that is better but not miles ahead of Rift S or you are not willing to pay to be a beta tester for Pimax or HP Reverb then you are settling.

Pimax might be decent but having to 3D print new parts to be able to use it comfortably is just silly. It's like a buying a prototype. Same with HP , great specs but disatrous launch.

I think Rift S is pretty decent at it's price and a better choice for new VR users. You can always upgrade down the road if you decide that VR is viable.

I would never buy Pimax , it has nice specs but production quality and design is quite poor. Same with Reverb currently, not worth the hassle. Maybe when revised model comes out. 

So in my opinion there are currently only two viable/working options ,Rift S and Index. 

One is €440 the other is €1040, roughly.

I will gladly settle for Rift S for now. VR is still a side dish for me and I still play on monitor/TV more than VR.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, 307_Banzai said:

One is €440 the other is €1040, roughly.

Well, if you are only interested in just the headset (it can be bought separately) the price is 449$, son just 50$ more than the Rift-S.

If case you are not a previous Vive/VivePro/Pimax owner (who has basesatations) then you will need to acquire just one basestation which is about 120$ (v1.0) or less in ebay.

So, if you already own a basestation, for 50$ you enjoy a better resolution, more FOV, mechanical IPD adjust, larger sweet spot and better audio. Clearly a worth choice.

A full comparison table here:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/49868-specs-summary-rift-s-index-pimax5k-and-reverb/

I am super happy with my Index (without controllers and just one basestation I had), the most amazing thing is that the sweet spot is almost all the FOV, which is larger than Rift-S vertically and horizontally.

For sure, I also understand all people who are happy with the Rift-S as well, it is a great pack for the price. But it is over their conscience that they have contributed to the Evil Empire!!  :P:P:P

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Index is €539 in Europe (steam website). Add a base station and it's €660.

Minor gripe is that you would have to now wait till sometime in September to get Index.

Sims are nice in VR but you really need controllers to get the most out of your VR headset.

There are some nice VR games out there , for example Lone Echo and some more on the way. 

I know a lot of them are quite boring, it's either shooting robots or zombies but hopefully this will change.

I agree with the rest of your statement.

I believe Rift S is a nice entry level VR headset that works out of the box. I really appreciate inside out tracking and that it's just one USB and Displayport and you are good to go.

I have no desire to add more cables and 'junk' like basestations to my setup. Between Hotas and Trackir and my PC there is enough cables and 'junk' in my living room already :).

Edited by 307_Banzai

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

Well, if you are only interested in just the headset (it can be bought separately) the price is 449$, son just 50$ more than the Rift-S.

If case you are not a previous Vive/VivePro/Pimax owner (who has basesatations) then you will need to acquire just one basestation which is about 120$ (v1.0) or less in ebay.

So, if you already own a basestation, for 50$ you enjoy a better resolution, more FOV, mechanical IPD adjust, larger sweet spot and better audio. Clearly a worth choice.

A full comparison table here:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/49868-specs-summary-rift-s-index-pimax5k-and-reverb/

I am super happy with my Index (without controllers and just one basestation I had), the most amazing thing is that the sweet spot is almost all the FOV, which is larger than Rift-S vertically and horizontally.

For sure, I also understand all people who are happy with the Rift-S as well, it is a great pack for the price. But it is over their conscience that they have contributed to the Evil Empire!!  :P:P:P

I think it is the opposite.

The "Evil Empire" has contributed to Oculus.

And like it or not, FB has done a lot with Oculus for the VR industry as a whole.

For me to get the same experience with the Index that I get with my Rift S would mean forking out around a thousand bucks.

I would be much more inclined to go with the Reverb once they have it sorted for my flight sims, which I may well do, and use my Rift S for my Touch games. But for now I am quite content.

Edited by dburne

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JgonRedcorn said:

The display is a low res low refresh rate lcd screen. The lenses are from the oculus go. It might have been impressive 2 years ago. Unless you own a og rift or a vive your wasting your money, for 200 more dollars you can get 1080p monitor quality picture through the reverb, or go pimax/index for wide fov. The rift s absolutely is settling. 

I am sure there are better and I can afford any VR out there. I can afford a better boat  also 

But I find it hard to spend money on things I am not all in doing. I had a rift for month and in my belief it was not worth the compromize of using VR. But that was mostly for what I used in DCS but it was just about being enough. 

So if Rift S is a tad better I find it worth while for the money. I fly maybe 3 hours a week up to 5 on rare occation. VR wont change that 

Edited by LuseKofte

2 hours ago, JgonRedcorn said:

The display looks fantastic with my own eyes..which is a much better gauge than reading a chart of specs, etc.   I'm not even sure if you been in one yet, but with SS at 1.4, IL-2 looks fantastic on my rig and that is after using the OG Rift for 2 years. 

I very well may get a reverb...but considering it's jacked up at the moment with all kinds of issues, Its not a smart move to look at one of those.

Every single solitary reviewer has stated that the difference in image quality between the index (at 1000.00) and the Rift S (at 400.00) is negligible.  Index is slightly better looking but not by much is the consensus.  You are also ignoring the fact that you would need a base station and controllers if you went the Index/Pimax route..and the through the lense and reviewer impressions of the clarity on a Pimax definitely don't indicate a noticeable improvement in resolution with FOV being the major selling point.

Long story short...The Rift S is comparable in clarity to every other headset out there (outside of the Reverb which is way ahead of everyone BUT way behind everyone in the controllers, tracking, and issues dept) and costs less than half as much as the "high end" Index.  That's not "settling" in any shape, form or fashion.

(Didn't even talk about the incredibly strong Oculus Software library backing it as well).

• Upvote 1

Through the lens comparison of Rift S and Oculus Go ( along with Oculus Quest).

Another example of why these through the lens videos are a laugh. In his previous video where he compares the Rifts/Index/Reverb, the text 'eye chart' test has the Rift S text being sharp and readable right to the smallest font size. In this latest video it's fuzzy and hardly readable.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

I am considering the upgrade once the Index is officially available in Canada. I'm not willing to pay $1550 (CAD) for one of those shady import companies, especially not when it seems Index still has some issues for Valve to sort out (I'm not complaining, Rift S has issues that are being worked out, but I know I can return it easily). For me it's going to likely replace the Rift, so I will need the $1000-USD package.

...which actually gives me pause. Even if I can sell the Rift for full price that's an eye-watering amount of money for the upgrade.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Guys, if you keep posting the YouTuber spam of inconsistent, disinforming videos that are rushed out to create clicks, at least do so without the preview picture each time.

It's unsettling how many people trust Influencers and YouTube clickbaiters.

Just like most people weren't aware that RoadToVR among many others were "incentivized" by Valve to hype the Index. Or MRTV with his HP banners. It's an open secret in the industry, and doesn't even require an aluminium foil HMD as a backup. Several "mags" even stated it beneath their articles, and by now have removed the disclaimers. E.G. the Index' through the lens shots he put out earlier on text were super-sharp, while his Pimax through the lens were super fuzzy and detoriated compared to the last month.

You just can't take that guy seriously. Remember: YouTube is the new advertisement. If you've laughed about your grandparents believing everything the radio or TV said, you may want to critically think about this now.

Truth is, the picture quality of the headsets right now is very similar, except for the Reverb which is another league but has to fight with so many other hardware issues as well as a scope-FOV that make prolonged use impossible. It comes in first regarding pure picture quality, but it breaks down, and the controllers are, well, meh. Second best picture quality plus a wide FOV with customizable colours (and the requirement to fiddle around a lot with during first setup incl. DAS) is the Pimax 5K+, closely followed by the Index which lacks the former, has a terrible audio solution (in my opinion, others like it), and has a bit too obvious glare, but is much cheaper in comparison and easier to get running. Both share the Index Controllers as the best controllers on the market right now - which are hardly supported right now by anything but a few demos! I still love them. And in the end, the Rift S is the most bang for your buck, with very good Controllers (loved the Touchs) and probably the best Software-base of high-quality VR titles available.

While I know the 5k+ & Index Controllers is the best combination available, I'd never recommend it to anyone new to VR. Way too much to fiddle, price-tag out of reach for most, and on top wants that RTX2080ti to go along with it. Oculus probably went the best route for the average user.

P.S. I got Index Controllers of batch 2. No issues with the thumbsticks.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

On 7/23/2019 at 11:23 PM, Lensman1945 said:

Another example of why these through the lens videos are a laugh. In his previous video where he compares the Rifts/Index/Reverb, the text 'eye chart' test has the Rift S text being sharp and readable right to the smallest font size. In this latest video it's fuzzy and hardly readable

Yes, that´s true. Here it is the comparison, the left is from 1st video (vs Reverb and Index) and the Right is 2nd video (vs Go and Quest).

I think that in the second video he author has not been careful enough to focus the camera or to be off center.

But in humble opinion this doesn´t fully disqualify those videos. I always took these videos with a bit of caution and prefer to buy every top headset and decide myself afterwards

video1vs2.thumb.png.6df81a689d625214924e497542b29b8a.png

16 hours ago, Alonzo said:

I am considering the upgrade once the Index is officially available in Canada.

If money is not a constraint you can go for the full package of the Index.

But if you are only interested in seated games (flight sims, space sims, race sims, experiences like apollo VR) you don´t need the controllers or a second basestation. With just one basestation the tracking is fully perfect at 1.5 meters distance.

Valve allows to buy only the headset (449 US$) and then you can buy just one second hand basestation in ebay for 90$ (or new for 120$).

Then you can buy later the controllers and the second base station if you are interested in exploring other games. In my case, all my scarce gaming time goes to IL-2 VR.

Comparing with the Rift CV1 you will greatly improve FOV (hor and ver), resolution, clarity,  sweet spot while keeping the performance. And you equally enjoy mechanical IPD adjust, nice audio and a confort.

I thought you also bought a Rift-S, isn´t it?

15 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Just like most people weren't aware that RoadToVR among many others were "incentivized" by Valve to hype the Index.

Hey, I was not aware of that, I followed RTVR in the past. Could you supply some "evidence" of that.?

15 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

E.G. the Index' through the lens shots he put out earlier on text were super-sharp, while his Pimax through the lens were super fuzzy and detoriated compared to the last month

Do you refer to RTVR or to MRTV? Could you provide the links, just for reference. Thanks.

Posted (edited)

Hi, yes I can. By coincidence I took a screen on my mobile phone regarding RTVR. I have also talked privately to people, and from my own work experience I know that the best influences are those that act neutral. It's business practice in most industries nowadays. TV is so yesterday, and Netflix and Amazon are PayToView. 

So you may need to trust my word a bit here. If someone concentrates on the technical analysis during reviews, it's safe to say you can believe the YouTuber more. Ironically the only VR YouTube that did more technical analysis of hardware and always put full disclaimers underneath was SweViver - "ironically" because he got hired by Pimax last month and hasn't released a video in 3 weeks. I will critically watch his next review, which will be the HP Reverb (which was my look forward to headset I really hoped so much for until its launch and QA disaster). 

Just always look for evidence on claims, and listen to those that call out faults as well. And if a review video for example isn't filled with ads, you can be safe to assume the review itself may be an ad. Just don't consume, analyse. I fall back into the uncritical consumption of videos daily as well, I guess we all do. 

The most dishonest hyping influencers in my book are, based on their record, MRTV, RTVR, and Savage Tested. Wood is just generating clicks and riding the wave from what I read by him, but his reviews are not analytical, and carry barely any ads. I have been patreon to some of the mentioned in the past and read their internal updates as well (edit to clarify: also seen internal short videos from producers' presentations , events, trips/holidays, of patreons and professionally).

Here's your screen regarding RTVR:

(Sorry for the quality, it's from mobile and their mobile page).

Screenshot_20190725-095431.png

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

6 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

If money is not a constraint you can go for the full package of the Index.

But if you are only interested in seated games (flight sims, space sims, race sims, experiences like apollo VR) you don´t need the controllers or a second basestation. With just one basestation the tracking is fully perfect at 1.5 meters distance.

Valve allows to buy only the headset (449 US$) and then you can buy just one second hand basestation in ebay for 90$ (or new for 120$).

Then you can buy later the controllers and the second base station if you are interested in exploring other games. In my case, all my scarce gaming time goes to IL-2 VR.

Comparing with the Rift CV1 you will greatly improve FOV (hor and ver), resolution, clarity,  sweet spot while keeping the performance. And you equally enjoy mechanical IPD adjust, nice audio and a confort.

I thought you also bought a Rift-S, isn´t it?

Money is always a consideration, not necessarily a constraint. In these days of easy credit you can pretty much buy anything you want, it's just about tradeoffs (for example, should I spend $1000 on an Index, or put that money into my retirement savings, or pay off a little bit of my mortgage?). I still want to get good value for money.

I ordered the Rift S pretty much as soon as it was available. It's a decent headset and I'm fairly happy with it. You are right that my primary use-case is seated sim experiences, so I can skip the controllers, but then I'm restricted to those experiences. My kids sometimes play a VR game or two, so controllers would be useful for that.

5 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Here's your screen regarding RTVR

I'm not sure there's anything to be done about companies like Valve (and Oculus) providing travel and accommodation so YouTubers and other journalists can come get early access to a headset. For the company, they can get someone into a controlled environment in their HQ, make them sign an NDA, and ensure a good experience for the review and present their product in the best possible light. I remember Oculus getting criticized too for their early Quest and Rift S demos. Once one company starts doing this, it becomes an arms race -- every company needs to do it or the competition will get better publicity.

I do agree with you Fenris that we need to be skeptical and consider everything a reviewer puts out. MRTV has lost a lot of credibility with me because the Reverb clearly has serious quality control issues (maybe even design flaws) and this guy at MRTV just raved about how great it was. Didn't mention the hideous mura and heavy, un-ergonomic cable. And he's a solo guy so he needs to get help from the manufacturers to stay afloat. Adam Savage's Tested I'm not so sure -- it feels like they are in a better position to be neutral because they have employees, a big operation, revenue from other sources.

8 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Hi, yes I can. By coincidence I took a screen on my mobile phone regarding RTVR. I have also talked privately to people, and from my own work experience I know that the best influences are those that act neutral

One thing is getting Travel&Living support from Valve and another thing is working as marketing for Valve. Many companies do that to get specialized press.

In any case, I always tend to look all of them (Voodoo, Wood, Sweviver, Tested, RTVR, MRTV, etc )to get a feeling, but I know I can not really trust on any of them, that´s why I end up buying every new great headset which is released. 

For example, It really surprised me that almost nobody was complaining about the really small sweet spot of the VivePro. So, I tested it I it went directly to Ebay afterwards.

3 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Money is always a consideration, not necessarily a constraint. In these days of easy credit you can pretty much buy anything you want, it's just about tradeoffs (for example, should I spend $1000 on an Index, or put that money into my retirement savings, or pay off a little bit of my mortgage?). I still want to get good value for money.

I think it is important to put some money for the retirement, but not to get a good ederly care residence but to get the newest VR headset!!!

Any any case, moving from Rift-S to Index the difference in clarity will be less than from Rift to Index.

You can leave the Rift-S for your kids and the Index for your seated games. 

On 7/24/2019 at 5:26 PM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Guys, if you keep posting the YouTuber spam of inconsistent, disinforming videos that are rushed out to create clicks, at least do so without the preview picture each time.

It's unsettling how many people trust Influencers and YouTube clickbaiters.

Just like most people weren't aware that RoadToVR among many others were "incentivized" by Valve to hype the Index. Or MRTV with his HP banners. It's an open secret in the industry, and doesn't even require an aluminium foil HMD as a backup. Several "mags" even stated it beneath their articles, and by now have removed the disclaimers. E.G. the Index' through the lens shots he put out earlier on text were super-sharp, while his Pimax through the lens were super fuzzy and detoriated compared to the last month.

You just can't take that guy seriously. Remember: YouTube is the new advertisement. If you've laughed about your grandparents believing everything the radio or TV said, you may want to critically think about this now.

Every video I watch is with an extremely critical eye. I take nobody`s word for it without facts and evidence. `Psy-ops` is everywhere these days. The flashier, the less I trust it, but some can be quite sneaky/clever. However once you`re aware no one should get past a person.

Good warning anyway.