Sign in to follow this  
seafireliv

Advantages and disadvantages of VR...

Posted (edited)

The advantages...

1. Immersion. I got in a dogfight and after surviving that turned to see a 109 coming on and it fired on a head-to-head. I actually winced and ducked a bit as rounds past my aircraft and he shot past in surprise- My body was reacting even though my brain knows it isn`t real!

2. I find it a lot easier to spot moving targets against the background of trees. It seems to be a movement and depth perception thing. The visuals aren`t any better than in 2d (worse in fact), but I spot movements so easily now. In 2D mode aircraft seemed to vanish even when I  saw them clearly in the sky before.

3. Landing and takeoff seem way easier. Not sure why, maybe it`s that depth perception again. Even the annoying Mig 3 series 24 is quite easy to take off with.

Disadvantages...

1. You might involuntarily duck, costing you time and reactions.

2. You have to actually PHYSICALLY turn to see behind. It`s easy on TrackIr, turn your head a few centimetres and you look right behind you, I would do that constantly. On VR you must not only turn your head, but your whole body more or less (shoulders, upper torso). That is a disadvantage, especially online.

Not complaining, just the pros and cons I see. :)

Edited by seafireliv
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I would agree with all of that, and the pros are what won me over some time ago.

Loving every minute of it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, dburne said:

I would agree with all of that, and the pros are what won me over some time ago.

Loving every minute of it.

When VR actually makes me react like a pilot might`ve in real life, then it`s doing its job in my view. Just as long as I don`t jump out the window in fright  though!  :)

Edited by seafireliv
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I would put nr2 disadvantage as nr4 advantage actually.

TrackIR is cheating in comparison to VR 😀

And I would add as a disadvantage the following:

Not having enough time to fly in VR. I want always more of it but it is not always possible.

Milan

Edited by apollon01
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, apollon01 said:

TrackIR is cheating in comparison to VR 😀

And I would add as a disadvantage the following:

Not having enough time to fly in VR. I want always more of it but it is not always possible.

Milan

Actually you`re right. The ease with looking about with Track ir is nothing like the real thing. VR brings that home to you. I guess you could slow down the turn rate of looking in trackir  but how many guys are gonna do that! I now imagine the pilots in reality  who`ve had to try looking behind them while being shot at- not easy at all.

Edited by seafireliv

Advantages:  Everything.

No seriously...it's just a completely different level once you experience VR.  If you are all about realism..it doesn't get any more real than physically putting yourself INTO the cockpit.  I'm tempted to get the IL-2 Tank Sim as well and see if it's equally as immersive.

Posted (edited)

I dont know much about VR, just that its very expensive for me, which I count as a disadvantage. Like a Vive costs like 500€ and I´m using a DIY headtracker for 20€. Maybe they´ll enter my price range someday?

Edited by [N.O.G.F]Leon_Portier

Leaving immersion aside, there is only one advantage of VR I could find.

Deflection shooting.

I have spent many hours in the game and my aim on a monitor would be decent at times but could be pretty bad if I had a longer break.

In VR I was shocked how easy deflection shooting was. Most of the time first trigger squeeze would be on the target. Correcting by tracers works great.

View over the nose of the plane is much better in VR and it's easier to judge the distance and get correct deflection.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, apollon01 said:

Yes, difficulty of checking six is a plus.

There were rivers of ink about this:

Edited by chiliwili69
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 307_Banzai said:

Deflection shooting.

I have spent many hours in the game and my aim on a monitor would be decent at times but could be pretty bad if I had a longer break.

In VR I was shocked how easy deflection shooting was. Most of the time first trigger squeeze would be on the target. Correcting by tracers works great.

View over the nose of the plane is much better in VR and it's easier to judge the distance and get correct deflection.

Yeah my shooting skills improved greatly after going to VR.

11 hours ago, [N.O.G.F]Leon_Portier said:

I dont know much about VR, just that its very expensive for me, which I count as a disadvantage. Like a Vive costs like 500€ and I´m using a DIY headtracker for 20€. Maybe they´ll enter my price range someday?

As soon as my HP Reverb arrives, I am selling my Samgsum Odyssey +for $200, and its a pretty good VR headset.

8 hours ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

As soon as my HP Reverb arrives, I am selling my Samgsum Odyssey +for $200, and its a pretty good VR headset.

Many thanks for the offer! For now though, I´m looking forward to get my first set of rudder pedals.

On 7/16/2019 at 12:52 PM, 307_Banzai said:

Deflection shooting.

I was never very good at deflection shooting and VR definitely helps but I still miss more times than I hit.

What I find is that VR allows my landings to be much better, I can look at the ground, judge the final few feet visually and put it down for a smooth landing.

• Like 2