Sign in to follow this  
CAFulcrum

DVa full elevator deflection

When flying the DVa, putting it into tight turns, it seems like you can pull the stick back completely without any penalty or having to worry about it stalling for quite some time if you start the turn from full speed.

I vaguely remember this in other sims as well though; how the DVa feels quite maneuverable until you face against a camel and suddenly feel sluggish.  The in game ai doesn't fly the camels well so you can defeat them in basically anything but I know a human pilot can accomplish very sudden turns with them.  With the DVa it almost feels like there's a limiter stopping the elevator from pushing the plane into stall or achieving high alpha turns.  It doesn't shudder or stall or anything.

I'm just wondering if it's raelistic/historical.  Did the designers simply not give the elevator or stick enough throw?  Or is there some aerodynamic reason for how well the tail works?  Pilot accounts aren't very good for the plane, and the tailplane definitely looks odd -- no other aircraft seem to have adopted it, and it looks like it has way too much area extending forward.  But I'd expect to feel a kind of a deadening at the extremes (presumably as the tailplane stalls), so I'm wondering if it's an FM issue or something mechanical?

23 minutes ago, CAFulcrum said:

But I'd expect to feel a kind of a deadening at the extremes (presumably as the tailplane stalls), so I'm wondering if it's an FM issue or something mechanical?

Since the FMs are being ported over from Rise of Flight, it's not an issue as such, since it behaves identically.

Whether the lack of elevator authority is historically accurate or not is a matter of debate. We know from historical accounts of British pilots flying a captured Albatros that it was a sluggish machine which didn't react to controls quite as fast as their SE5a. Modern day replicas seem to point to the same observations. Lack of control surface authority and the refusal to enter a clean stall is a recurring theme with all the Central inline scouts (Albatros, Pfalz, D.VII, even the Halberstadt D.II and CL.II). This is not the case with the Central rotaries, such as the Fokker Dr.I and Eindecker.

The only Entente plane in Rise of Flight which reacts similarly to full elevator deflection is the (somewhat controversial) Nieuport 28. However, because of its relatively high wing loading it has an atrocious sustained turn and will pretty much fall out of the sky in what amounts to an accelerated stall.

The Albatros is definitely better in IL2 than it seems based on historical (and modern) accounts of pilots. Then again, I feel that the Pfalz flies better than the Alb, so there are definitely some deviations from history. But, it is a game, at the end of the day. 

I've often thought the RoF Albatros was set up to be the perfect 'beginner plane'. It'll turn with most Entente planes, its handling is really straightforward, it has great energy retention, powerful armament, gets out of a spin really nicely, etc. etc. It's only glaring weakness is its speed against the Entente fast-movers, and, of course, it's in big trouble if a Camel catches it.  All the same seems to ring true in FC (as you'd expect).

It would be nice in the future to see some FM updates (to all the planes) to be a bit more historical, and I hope the possibility is there to approach the devs about such changes, but for the time being the focus is releasing all the already-planned content for FC (and rightly so!) 

I can't force accelerated stall in Alb DVa , I don't know for sure but one could think that this plane was made so easy and safe just for starts.