Killroy-98

5 things I'd like to see added to il-2

1. The ability to bail out of a aircraft after a crash landing:

I know previous games had this and I think it would be really useful in a situation where your plane is on fire but your to low to jump out, or when you have landed and are being strafed. I know you can just hit the end mission button as soon as you are on the ground but that feels kinda gamie and I like knowing my pilot/crew are safe before ending the mission.  

2. The ability to bribe your way out of being captured: 

When playing as the soviets you earn cash for shooting down enemies or after completing a certain amount of sorties but it has no real purpose. it would be cool if after landing or bailing out over enemy lines you could use these accumulated funds to bribe guards to look the other way or the locals to get you across friendly lines, the player should not be punished for wanting to keep their pilot alive and this would benefit players who play on iron man greatly. (a currency could be added for the Germans as well, a weekly salary perhaps)

3. A dynamic tank campaign:

This would be similar to the career mode we have for planes where you create a character who would be a commander of a tank and be apart of a tank squad, you could go out on patrols, defend convoys, and assault/ defend major positions.

4. More bombers: 

I'd like to see more bombers be added to il-2 nothing big although I would love to see things like B-17's in the sky but since the devs said that may be to hard on the engine I was thinking bombers like the il-4 and even the TB-3 which served on all maps we have in game, and the TB-3 could even be used as a paratroop dropper to counter the junkers transport collector plane. I just think the soviets are lacking in actual bombers in game and I dont wanna keep using lend lease aircraft and instead want to see more indigenous designs. 

5. Service pistols for pilots: 

This is probably the least useful thing on here but would still be fun to see, say you just landed next to an enemy supply truck or arty position you could whip out your good ol'service revolver and try to get one last kill just like in the good old days of ROF. It would also be funny to see people fly up next to a damaged enemy fighter and try to pilot snipe them through the cockpit. 

Let me know what yuh think and what things you want to see be added to il-2!

• Upvote 5

I remember 1 from 1946, you sort of jumped out, ran about 10m then threw yourself on the floor dramatically as your plane failed to explode like something from a movie.

kind of pointless tbh, and considering the crashes many of us survive i'm not sure any of us would walk away, i mean i've done rolls with my fuselage on crashes before and sat there turning things off...

2. do we have proof this happened in real life? seems a bit far fetched.

3. buy Tank crew, it's shaping up rather nicely.

4. Yes. lots and lots more!

5. again, kind of useless considering the damage model for il2 however i believe they are in Flying circus.

6 minutes ago, Melonfish said:

I remember 1 from 1946, you sort of jumped out, ran about 10m then threw yourself on the floor dramatically as your plane failed to explode like something from a movie.

kind of pointless tbh, and considering the crashes many of us survive i'm not sure any of us would walk away, i mean i've done rolls with my fuselage on crashes before and sat there turning things off...

2. do we have proof this happened in real life? seems a bit far fetched.

3. buy Tank crew, it's shaping up rather nicely.

2. Im sure there were some cases of downed pilots being helped by locals since it is Russia after all maybe not so for enemy guards since relations were so bitter between the two

3. it is but thats why Im waiting because I dont wanna drop $60 dollars on a dlc that only has scripted campaigns and I dont play mp very much so I want to know im getting my moneys worth

About the "bribe money" idea: As cool as it sounds (and it certainly is an innovative idea - points for thinking outside the box) it really doesn't have any historical basis and as such shouldn't be included. 

For one thing, both Rubles and Reichsmark were kinda "funny money" with no intrinsic value outside of their own countries and often limited Buying power even within the country. They would not have been effective bribes. 

Also I'm pretty sure that cash prizes for Soviet pilots were almost invariably sent home to their families to ensure that none of it would "go missing", if the pilot went MIA. They certainly wouldn't carry it with them on missions. 

Posted (edited)

1 Playable Infantry , at the beginnings cars with machine guns: 

2 visualized pilot like a option in planes .

3 Playable cars or light vehicles with machine guns . 

4 Playabe ships like destroyers carriers frigates & submarines like ‘ Silent Hunter V ‘ .

5 Fragmentation bombs , torpedos , & fuel fire drop deposits .

Edited by RAY-EU

Posted (edited)

I see this getting moved to the suggestions thread...

😕

(Aka necro pit of doom for threads to be killed off /not seen)

Edited by Sublime
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Killroy-98 said:

Let me know what yuh think and what things you want to see be added to il-2!

I addressed this issue a month or two ago. I suggested the pilot be issued a swag bag to permit some local lovin' in case of emergency. Chocolates, silk stockings, champagne. What better way to escape than through the knaughty knickers of a love starved peasant woman.  :cool:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RAY-EU said:

1 Playable Infantry , at the beginnings cars with machine guns: 

2 visualized pilot like a option in planes .

3 Playable cars or light vehicles with machine guns . 

4 Playabe ships like destroyers carriers frigates & submarines like ‘ Silent Hunter V ‘ .

5 Fragmentation bombs , torpedos , & fuel fire drop deposits .

I think we're beginning to forget that this is a flight sim we're talking about. Tank Crew is somewhat of an experiment for the developers but I can't see them going as far as playable infantry and other light vehicles. They have no experience in the mil sim genre (I assume) and trying to implement full-scale combined arms gameplay while maintaining Il-2's level of realism and detail just couldn't be possible.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Stormurveln said:

A real dynamic campaign is all I want

Amen Brother

:salute:

Skud

1 hour ago, CanadaOne said:

I addressed this issue a month or two ago. I suggested the pilot be issued a swag bag to permit some local lovin' in case of emergency. Chocolates, silk stockings, champagne. What better way to escape than through the knaughty knickers of a love starved peasant woman.  :cool:

Ooh is that a mini game part of the future career mode?  Who the hell did they hire to develop it... *looks at map and sees Japan* ohh.. Nvm

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Killroy-98 said:

The ability to bail out of a aircraft after a crash landing

I actually asked about this loooong time ago after i burned because you can't leave plane. Don't remember what was the answer but it was more like "we will think about it and would be nice to have" but it was years ago and it's still not here.

The ability to bribe your way out of being captured

Well :P if you would be captured and had money to bribe them, don't you think they would just kick your ass and take money anyway?

A dynamic tank campaign

Asked about this. Nope, there will be only scripted campaign.

Dynamic weather, more  clouds types ,  life like turbulences. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Killroy-98 said:

A dynamic tank campaign:

I would like dynamic campaign for planes too

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Stormurveln said:

A real dynamic campaign is all I want

Could you elaborate? 

7 hours ago, InProgress said:

7 hours ago, InProgress said:

Well :P if you would be captured and had money to bribe them, don't you think they would just kick your ass and take money anyway?

Asked about this. Nope, there will be only scripted campaign.

1. well I mostly meant to bribe peasants and this is where your trust service pistol would come in handy so they couldn't stab you with a pitch fork or something.

2. well then Im not dropping $60+ dollars on just a couple of tanks, highly detailed or not... imo the amount of replay ability is not worth the price.

28 minutes ago, Killroy-98 said:

Could you elaborate? 

1. well I mostly meant to bribe peasants and this is where your trust service pistol would come in handy so they couldn't stab you with a pitch fork or something.

2. well then Im not dropping $60+ dollars on just a couple of tanks, highly detailed or not... imo the amount of replay ability is not worth the price.

I would assume he means a campaign where your actions effect outcomes and your kills actually matter. Even the old il2, the stock dgen campaign generator was the same way as this one, basically just generates missions for you to play, DCG on the other hand a real dynamic campaign system tracks evrything. If you destroy a train, bad things happen for the enemy, they lose resources, that trains gone and never coming back. Take out a tank column and you may stop an attack on a city and push the enemy back. Things like this are what separates a dynamic campaign from a mission generator.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I'd like to see it where ground objects like guns, bridges, static aircraft etc., remain destroyed either permanently or temporarily on subsequent missions. Beyond that, I think you're asking for too much (like pushing the front lines back, stopping an attack, etc.). Other things that would be good:

• If you unit fails to take out a particular target (such as a pontoon bridge), you'll be sent back again to try to take it out.
  • Heavy casualties taken by a particular enemy squad reduces the chance of it appearing over the next several day(s).
  • Aircraft damage taking multiple days to repair for more severe damage. Right now, no damaged plane is out of action for more than one day.
  • Upvote 4

1.  B-17

2.  Lancaster

3.  AI that behaves just like humans, but not dickish humans

4.  MTO

5.  Spanish Civil War

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, 307_Tomcat said:

Dynamic weather, more  clouds types ,  life like turbulences. 

god, this. Why people starts asking for things that has nothing to do with A FLIGHT SIM. Hell, even asking for infantry... you have WT for a "big army game". This is a flight sim... Make flight characteristics more realistic, dont add things that has nothing to do with ppanes.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

god, this. Why people starts asking for things that has nothing to do with A FLIGHT SIM. Hell, even asking for infantry... you have WT for a "big army game". This is a flight sim... Make flight characteristics more realistic, dont add things that has nothing to do with ppanes.

Actually, we have tanks now.  And it's pretty cool.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ said:

1. Not instantly drowning when you parachute into water. 

If I could up vote this a thousand times I would.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, LukeFF said:

I think you're asking for too much (like pushing the front lines back, stopping an attack, etc.).

Guys on Finnish virtual pilots-dynamic war server did it so i'm sure 1C guys can do it too!

Current career is repetitive (few missions repeating itself) and static.

It is better than it used to be but not good enough to keep me playing it, add not so good AI to it.

Dynamic campaign/war would give sense of progress which is rewarding, and progress/reward trought the game is what keeps players playing it.

• Upvote 1

1. Yeah totally! I find it very strange that in IL-2 1946 (including IL-2, FB and PF) you can get out of the airplane on the ground/after a crash landing on the ground and water. In CFS3 whenever you landed, and crash landed the plane (without dying) the pilot would always get out.

I find it odd that these 2 games were released almost 20 years ago and yet you’re Only able to get out of the plane in the air, NOT on the ground in IL-2 GBs; even if it’s a landing the pilot easily walk away from and the aircraft is mainly intact. Ever since 2014 the devs have spent lots of resources on game updates which contain many fixes, and 4 years later a pilot STILL burns/drowns because HE CANT GET OUT OF THE PLANE. Do you think that in real life, every pilot is unable to leave their plane after they make a forced landing in a field?

4. With Bodenplatte we’re missing out on the B-17, B-24, B-26, Lancaster, etc. as AI. Bombers. Hopefully, depending on the amount of time it takes to make the AI B-25, the devs Can hopefully make some AI heavy bombers for Bodenplatte. If there could be one I would want it to be the B-17. I also believe they should add the TB-3 and the IL-4 as bombers. Likely AI to start.

Another thing I would add to this list would be realistic bombsights as the 6 bombers in this game use a default bombsight, rather than the historical ones like the Norden, OPB, and Lofte bombsights which are used in IL-2 1946 and Cliffs of Dover.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Killroy-98 said:

When playing as the soviets you earn cash for shooting down enemies or after completing a certain amount of sorties but it has no real purpose. it would be cool if after landing or bailing out over enemy lines you could use these accumulated funds to bribe guards to look the other way or the locals to get you across friendly lines, the player should not be punished for wanting to keep their pilot alive and this would benefit players who play on iron man greatly. (a currency could be added for the Germans as well, a weekly salary perhaps)

IMO the chances of a Soviet pilot finding a German soldier who doesn’t immediately arrest/shoot them, speaks Russian, and is willing to let them go back to killing his friends in exchange for useless foreign money would be so minuscule that there’s no point in modelling it.

The chances of a German/Italian pilot finding a Soviet soldier or civilian who doesn’t immediately shoot/arrest/lynch them, speaks German/Italian, and is willing to let them go back to fighting a genocidal war against them in exchange for useless foreign money are even more minuscule IMO.

Yes, there were Soviet women who prostituted themselves to the Germans, but those Germans weren’t behind Soviet lines, and the women did it for useful and necessary things, like food for their families.

Edited by [Pb]Cybermat47

The bribing scheme is just silly.  Anyone that a pilot would try to bribe would just kill him and take anything of value.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bribe the developers instead.  A $5 microtransaction in real world money to reset your servers stats and get you back across the lines safely.  😛

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, JgonRedcorn said:

Take out a tank column and you may stop an attack on a city and push the enemy back. Things like this are what separates a dynamic campaign from a mission generator.

I think the main reason we don't see an impact like that in the Career mode is that the developers want to keep things historically correct. So that the front line movement and major events like attack on a city are happening according to the historical documents.

10 hours ago, LukeFF said:

I'd like to see it where ground objects like guns, bridges, static aircraft etc., remain destroyed either permanently or temporarily on subsequent missions. Beyond that, I think you're asking for too much (like pushing the front lines back, stopping an attack, etc.). Other things that would be good:

• If you unit fails to take out a particular target (such as a pontoon bridge), you'll be sent back again to try to take it out.

I do not disagree and your proposal would make things far better. 

But I believe one need to aim high to get the furthest. 

There is something indescribable lifeless about career. It simply do not give a feeling of progress and missions feel repetative and meaningless. 

I am sure it felt like that for real too. But this is a simulation of combat

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/15/2019 at 1:53 AM, LukeFF said:

• Heavy casualties taken by a particular enemy squad reduces the chance of it appearing over the next several day(s).
  • Aircraft damage taking multiple days to repair for more severe damage. Right now, no damaged plane is out of action for more than one day.

All of this is good stuff. There should be an internal consistency to the game world in that things that have been destroyed stay destroyed for some time until they can be replaced (bridges, buildings, men, machines, etc). Personally, I would also like for each plane in a squadron to be an entity that the game keeps track of, so things like wear and damage are carried though from mission to mission, and which can lead to reliability issues or failures if insufficient time has passed between missions to do proper repairs/maintenance, or an airfield has been attacked and ground crew and parts have been destroyed. 

On 7/15/2019 at 3:16 AM, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

Sorry, disagree.What you're describing is a civilian flight sim, where ground activity is indeed pretty much irrelevant. This is a war combat sim - the key word being "war". Without a good representation of the ground war, there is no reason for us to be up there flying in the first place. The air force supports the ground war - without a ground war the air force has no purpose. It might seem less necessary for a fighter jock, but without transport, ground attack, reconnaissance and bomber planes flying around supporting the ground war, there would be no targets for the fighters - not even enemy fighters because they would have nothing to protect in the first place.. So yes, we do need infantry. Dont think it has to be playable (that seems like too much work for limited gameplay), but it does need to done in such a way that we can have mass groups of them without killing the engine. They shouldn't even need to be full-AI objects that shoot (we can spawn in those existing AI machine gunners for this if needed), but rather something along the lines of mass groups of those soldiers (make each "entity" a company (100 to 200) of soldiers) that we already have walking around airfields, but just modified to march along in a straight line, and jump out of the way and lie down when attacked. Most of that is already in the game and would require minimal work to implement, depending of course on how resource-heavy those ambient soldiers are..

EDIT: Oh, and also we should have horse-drawn supplies and artillery vehicles in the game as well. The Soviet and German armies employed more than 6 million (!!) horses during the war to move supplies, artillery, troops and even had some cavalry. There is a general misconception that the German army was highly mechanised, but this wasn't really the case. It was only really the Panzer divisions which were mechanised, with the rest of the army and artillery relying heavily on horses for transport.  So any transport column would have relied pretty heavily on horses for both armies.

Edited by Flashy
  • Upvote 2

On 7/14/2019 at 7:53 PM, LukeFF said:

Omg persistent damage. Like operations in CMx1 but over your section of the front?  Craters from that bomb run yesterday and vehicle hulks where you razed an airfield?

-drools-

8 hours ago, Flashy said:

All of this is good stuff. There should be an internal consistency to the game world in that things that have been destroyed stay destroyed for some time until they can be replaced (bridges, buildings, men, machines, etc). Personally, I would also like for each plane in a squadron to be an entity that the game keeps track of, so things like wear and damage are carried though from mission to mission, and which can lead to reliability issues or failures if insufficient time has passed between missions to do proper repairs/maintenance, or an airfield has been attacked and ground crew and parts have been destroyed. 

Sorry, disagree.What you're describing is a civilian flight sim, where ground activity is indeed pretty much irrelevant. This is a war combat sim - the key word being "war". Without a good representation of the ground war, there is no reason for us to be up there flying in the first place. The air force supports the ground war - without a ground war the air force has no purpose. It might seem less necessary for a fighter jock, but without transport, ground attack, reconnaissance and bomber planes flying around supporting the ground war, there would be no targets for the fighters - not even enemy fighters because they would have nothing to protect in the first place.. So yes, we do need infantry. Dont think it has to be playable (that seems like too much work for limited gameplay), but it does need to done in such a way that we can have mass groups of them without killing the engine. They shouldn't even need to be full-AI objects that shoot (we can spawn in those existing AI machine gunners for this if needed), but rather something along the lines of mass groups of those soldiers (make each "entity" a company (100 to 200) of soldiers) that we already have walking around airfields, but just modified to march along in a straight line, and jump out of the way and lie down when attacked. Most of that is already in the game and would require minimal work to implement, depending of course on how resource-heavy those ambient soldiers are..

EDIT: Oh, and also we should have horse-drawn supplies and artillery vehicles in the game as well. The Soviet and German armies employed more than 6 million (!!) horses during the war to move supplies, artillery, troops and even had some cavalry. There is a general misconception that the German army was highly mechanised, but this wasn't really the case. It was only really the Panzer divisions which were mechanised, with the rest of the army and artillery relying heavily on horses for transport.  So any transport column would have relied pretty heavily on horses for both armies.

The ending I reallyliked.  I think this is probably one of the most overlooked things that doesnt get mentioned in WW1/2 combat flight sims. Imagine any other flight sim that modelled ground attack - and you had a vehicle both sides used MILLIONS of - and it isnt modelled; people would lose their $hit.

Fair nuff we get the same results with trucks.  Fair nuff in other types of games horses could be really problematic to add but in this case I feel making an simple animation of the horsewalking along and then another of it dead and the wagon shattered with the few in between.  I suppose its really a rather small thing - heck itd be interesting if someone managed to put placeholder art oversome little used ground unit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Sublime said:

..I feel making an simple animation of the horsewalking along and then another of it dead and the wagon shattered with the few in between.  I suppose its really a rather small thing - heck itd be interesting if someone managed to put placeholder art oversome little used ground unit.

Yeah well SYN_Vander already did it years back for Rise of Flight. They are fairly basic, but they get the job done:

aHorseIsaHorseOfCourseOfCourse.thumb.jpg.160dc9422800bd4ec4a5cd8821142726.jpg

Maybe we should just port these over to BoX actually.. Where's Vander when you need him? :P 

• Upvote 1

On 7/16/2019 at 8:54 AM, Flashy said:

No, its a flight combat sim covering WWII scenarios.

Prop wash effect, irl you can't stay at enemy 6 and have stable gun platform.