Sign in to follow this  
blitze

Glass Radials since last update?

Is it me or have Radial Engines become fragile little things since the last update?

Seem to have them die quickly after receiving hits from incoming fire, like in about 30 seconds.  Previously if hit in a radial engine, I would be able to nurse my kite home but now, not possible.  This with both the La 5F and 190 A5. 😕

Heck, I could nurse my P40 and 109's home but I have not flown them recently after the update so haven't experienced engine hits unlike the other 2 planes.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

It's just you. 

It's the all-too-common update placebo effect. 

There has been a major update, so you are deliberately looking for changes and tend to see them very easily based on a very small sample size (a few instances, where an engine died where you really think it shouldn't) and draw conclusions with very little basis, because you can feel it clear as day. Due to the semi-random nature of the DM and the very, very large number of unknown factors involved in it, it is particularly easy to get the idea, that the DM has changed somehow. 

We've all done this at one time or another, you are not alone. 

Edited by Finkeren
  • Upvote 2

Just saying. Fly within the range of ju 88 gunners and you find them accurate too. 

But I believe in general the bullets are a tad too effective

Radials have always been glass especially compared to engines like the M-105 and V-1710 that seem to last a long while if they recieve damage (and in the case of the Allison you don't overboost them)

• Upvote 1

Nah, this is not a placebo.  The La 5 in the past has taken quite a beating and I have usually managed to nurse it home.  Now, it is dog fight 109's take a hit in the engine and have it totally fail within 30 seconds from being hit.  Has happened a few times in a row to be just co-incidence.  The 190 has been usually a little less survivable with taking bullets but still survivable but now, again - it just packs it in.

Flying La 5 late Stalingrad Career

Flying 190 A5 in early Kuban Career - second time round.

I just don't have time to do decent testing at the moment, in a couple weeks, I should be free.

The Allison isn't bad - as stated - just don't over boost them and watch their temp.  My Moscow P40 Career has been well worth while learning that plane and is quite capable against the 109 F's I come up against in the career.  Those 6 .50 Cals - Yummy.

Considering Pe-2 gunner accuracy i tried to imagine B-17 combat box. With current gunners capabilities it would be like Death Star :)

• Like 1

Radials have always been pretty weak in this game, could definitely use an update across the board.

As far as the gunners go, well they should be dangerous but that's a topic that has been discussed endlessly.

• Like 1

Ha ha it was not ment at you but me. I always defended the pe 2 gunners and could not resist using that meme

42 minutes ago, Rekt said:

Honestly even the B-25 with two .50 in that 360-degree unobstructed top turret will be unapproachable (with the current AI Gunner programming).

Not to forget, when approaching from the six and facing four of them. This will make your day.

All the radials are way too weak, literally 2-3 machine gun rounds and the p-47 engine ceases to run every single time.

2 hours ago, Rekt said:

Literally me in the driveway this afternoon...

bf109-f-tropical-variant-with-5-jg-27-engine-1941-741x507.jpg

Are you the guy under the motor on his cell phone? 🙃

• Haha 2

Well, that’s how we do it now.... how did they keep them running without YouTube back then anyway. 😳

Well, the systems were fairly simple.

I happen to know if you take 2 cylinders off a 1940 radial engine and chain it to a 5 speed gear box, you have a motorcycle engine that has not really changed for 62 years except for adding fuel injection and electronic ignition. (HD Sportster)

i made valve adjustment clips out of coat hangers and a chain tensioner access wrench by grinding down a crescent wrench. If parts are missing you can make them with basic hand tools.

i think their technical manuals were hand drawn comic books if this forum is any indication. 🙄

• Upvote 2