I've had an EDTracker for over a month now but not flown a lot. Flown a little, then a multi-day gap, and so on.

And some gaps due to having to replace its USB cable and so on.

I.e. some gaps that involved a substantial change (new USB cable, switched the cable direction on the headset, fixed it to the headset with different materials), and other gaps with no change I can think off.

When I get back to a session of flying, the physical layout, i.e. where I sit, the direction I'm facing, where the monitor is, are roughly the same, but there can be minor variations.

Initially when I had calibrated and set level the E.T. it had minimal drift. Then a gap where I changed the cable. More drift.

Then a gap where I turned the E.T. 180 deg, but I assumed this might have to involve possibly recalibration, but at least a new 'set level'. Then much more drift.

When the drift was much more than expected, sometimes I would 'set level' again, without much change. I also recalibrated again without much improvement.

Then a gap, some days. I flew again. To my suprise, no drift. Then a gap, some days. I flew again. Suddenly lots of drift again.

I don't have a thorough understanding of the sensor (magnetometer I believe).

Any EdTracker users out there with experience in this kind of thing?

Is it to be expected that the magnetic situation in a flat might change over the course of some days, explaining these changes in drift?

Or are there specific things which are known to upset the sensor and which shouldn't be in the vicinity of the headset?

How often do people 'set level'? Hardly ever? Before each flying session? Et cetera...

The head image in edtracker program is never straight when I start edtracker because my headphones are usually laying on the table. So I use Set level every time when I put headphones on and start IL-2.

I've noticed there is less drifting if  rotate the edtracker in every direction before setting level.

• Upvote 1

I have never noticed 'drift' during a game though like Remontti I do find it is slightly off when I first start playing so I always center both EDTracker & Opentrack at the beginning.  I always sit very still when I first turn it on and it says it is calibrating but I am not sure if I need to.

• Upvote 1

Apologies for the late response.

I tried out a number of things, but am still not clear on the issue.

On 7/12/2019 at 2:23 PM, 56RAF_Roblex said:

when I first turn it on and it says it is calibrating

I realized that I usually don't see this message because I leave the device plugged in, and at night I put the machine to sleep.

Then I thought that possibly this calibrating occurs when the machine wakes up from sleep, and that that might be a cause of the drift.

On 7/12/2019 at 7:08 AM, Remontti said:

So I use Set level every time when I put headphones on

Clearly I had the wrong idea about set level. I noticed that during set level the dialog says something about keeping it still, but doesn't mention horizontal or level.

I used to take the device off my headphones to perform set level, thinking perfect levelness was crucial, and this prevented me from doing set level often enough.

Now I just clamp the headphones on an armrest of my couch, as level as I can get it, thus I can do it quickly whenever there even might be a need. Much better.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, stupor-mundi said:

Apologies for the late response.

I tried out a number of things, but am still not clear on the issue.

I realized that I usually don't see this message because I leave the device plugged in, and at night I put the machine to sleep.

Then I thought that possibly this calibrating occurs when the machine wakes up from sleep, and that that might be a cause of the drift.

Clearly I had the wrong idea about set level. I noticed that during set level the dialog says something about keeping it still, but doesn't mention horizontal or level.

I used to take the device off my headphones to perform set level, thinking perfect levelness was crucial, and this prevented me from doing set level often enough.

Now I just clamp the headphones on an armrest of my couch, as level as I can get it, thus I can do it quickly whenever there even might be a need. Much better.

I always hibernate the PC and rarely do a complete shutdown.   When I have finished flying I switch off the EDTracker and close down the EDTracker & Opentrack boxes on screen. 

When I am about to fly I start the EDTracker software (which also starts the OpenTrack software), put on my headset with attached EDT device and switch on the EDT device. 

I then see the 'Calibrating - Please Wait' message and I just sit still for a few seconds. No need for putting it on a flat surface; it is just on my head.  This is not the Levelling message you get when first setting up the device when you are told to put it on a level stable surface. 

When it is finished (2-4 seconds) I press the reset buttons on my joystick for EDTracker and Opentrack.  

As far as I am aware, The 'Calibrating'  referred to in this message is not about being absolutely level as I have never seen any videos or advice saying you must do anything special during this test and they know most people have it on their headset so getting it perfectly level is very difficult.  I always assumed it was more about checking the electromagnetic environment in case you have added a new source of disturbance, eg a new screen or speaker.

EDIT:  A quick Google of 'EDTracker Calibrating'  shows there might be some confusion due to the fact that most results deal with 'Magnetometer Calibration'  which was what we did when we first got the device and had to spin it all ways to get that 'globe of dots' result.    I did also come across a video from the manufacturer 

describing how to check what the drift is then type it into a box to compensate for it.  I don't remember ever doing this though perhaps I have just forgotten.  It might not help in your situation as you say your drifting changes day to day which I cannot explain.)

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

When I have finished flying I switch off the EDTracker and close down the EDTracker & Opentrack boxes on screen

I'll try this for a bit.

6 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

check what the drift is then type it into a box to compensate for it

I think there a several variants of this UI. The one I have doesn't have a place to enter such values.