PatrickAWlson

What's Left for the VVS

18 hours ago, Pict said:

Sure, but it's not solely about on-line is it? Otherwise they wouldn't have bothered putting resources into developing the great campaign generator and AI we now have.

It's been said already by the developer that the late war Soviet fighters would be coming, so no need to think about only having just one of them.

I like to fly on-line too and the first aircraft I would like to see to help the "on-line balance" factor would be the Li-2, way before any late war hot rod  anything :) 

yes im talking about online, as for SP they can make what ever airplane so it dosent mather what they go for, as long they have missions for it people will probably buy it.

what good will Li-2 bring ? anything Li-2 needs to do online, pe-2 or a-20 can do, and no time needs to be waisted on transport airplane to balance online with it, there is so many ppl online just waiting to play with transport airplane that you cant take ju-52s or po-2s on bases, they are all gone before you spawn, and all thouse la5fns and 262s just sitt unused online, yes we need more transport airplanes online to balance things out, good point 

10 minutes ago, 77.CountZero said:

It's been said already by the developer that the late war Soviet fighters would be coming

Do you have a source for that ?

17 minutes ago, 77.CountZero said:

what good will Li-2 bring ?

On TAW the Li-2 would bring the ability for Red players to make para drops for airfield capture and the like, just as the Blue players can with the Ju-52. This is not currently possible with any aircraft in the Red inventory.

Granted, this may not have any interest to people who don't fly transport missions on TAW for the Red side, but there are many who do. This thread as I understand it is about what aircraft the Red side currently lacks. It is not aimed solely at the online dogfight point of view any more than it is aimed at any other individual aspect that makes up this great game.

11 minutes ago, Siwel said:

Do you have a source for that ?

Jason said it in a post a while back, I don't have a link to post, nor can I remember the exact word used so I ain't going to quote them. But it was said none the less. From what I can recall, he indicated that they were aware that many of us really wanted the late war Soviet fighter and at some point they intended to do them.

As they have already done  the Yak-1B and the La-5FN, it wouldn't be like starting from scratch to build a Yak-3, Yak-9 and La-7 would it? An appropriate map would be the big deal...I reckon anyhow.

Posted (edited)
Just now, Pict said:

On TAW the Li-2 would bring the ability for Red players to make para drops for airfield capture and the like, just as the Blue players can with the Ju-52. This is not currently possible with any aircraft in the Red inventory.

Granted, this may not have any interest to people who don't fly transport missions on TAW for the Red side, but there are many who do. This thread as I understand it is about what aircraft the Red side currently lacks. It is not aimed solely at the online dogfight point of view any more than it is aimed at any other individual aspect that makes up this great game.

Jason said it in a post a while back, I don't have a link to post, nor can I remember the exact word used so I ain't going to quote them. But it was said none the less. From what I can recall, he indicated that they were aware that many of us really wanted the late war Soviet fighter and at some point they intended to do them.

As they have already done  the Yak-1B and the La-5FN, it wouldn't be like starting from scratch to build a Yak-3, Yak-9 and La-7 would it? An appropriate map would be the big deal...I reckon anyhow.

So you can just use pe-2 or a-20 for para drops insted, or even red side ju52 with only one skin well known that is red airplane, but if you make yak-3 or la-7 and il-10 or tu-2 for example, you can then have taw missions going in 1944-45, so add more maps and make taw longer, and use existing bobp axis airplanes that now you cant use to add more maps as they dont have any oponents... but if time to make thouse airplanes is waisted on transport airplane that dosent give anything that cant be done with existing airplanes to complete his mission objective, then you dont have use for late war axis airplanes now in game for taw and your stuck with war up to 43 insted making it full 41-45 east front like ADW had. But yes its better to make transport airplanes... and po-2 that was great choice lol what a waist of recorces

Edited by 77.CountZero

Posted (edited)
On 7/14/2019 at 2:47 PM, Sublime said:

Im going to anmoy the F*** out of everyone and demand an Op Unthinkable pack that adds less planes more map and some.other features (like engine thermals, viewing distance, 4 engine ai bombers)

Few planes we dont have for player flying too...

But Im a sucker for west v east war stuff

Operation Unthinkable now there's a thing :big_boss: that would have made us all suckers for west v east war stuff if Churchill had had his way.:wacko:

4 minutes ago, 77.CountZero said:

So you can just use pe-2 or a-20 for para drops insted, or even red side ju52

Yeah....nah. :) 

Edited by Pict
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Well to be fair I do this in all the wargames I get involved in..

Combat mission? I want CM Unthinkable or Fulda Gap! The "other" sim? Give me WW3 campaigns! 

Lol

I honestly think the idea leads to some many possible endings and its a very interesting strategic problem.

The Russians have numbers in theater etc, each sides strengths and weaknesses.

Of course without a Soviet attack I dont think the western allies populations would have veen able to pivot that quickly from pro Soviet "Uncle Joe" to " Evil Joe" and invasion of Russia in a few months.  Not without anovert act of Sov treachery

Edited by Sublime

In IL2 '46 I made a DF map scenario where the Germans had succeeded in taking Stalingrad and the oil fields, sending the Soviet Govt. into disarray, leaving the door open to a revolution by monarchists and anti communist Cossack forces.  The Tzarina Anastasia (or someone claiming to be her) claimed the throne and set herself up in Vladivostok, Russian forces in the east and Siberia swore loyalty to her.  Meanwhile, after the tragic accident at Alamogordo, the US atomic bomb program fell two years behind, hence, the Imperial Japanese continued fighting in to 1946, and linked up with their German allies in central Asia.   This allowed me to use all the "46" aircraft, in the scenario.  It was actually fun. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, 77.CountZero said:

So you can just use pe-2 or a-20 for para drops insted, or even red side ju52 with only one skin well known that is red airplane, but if you make yak-3 or la-7 and il-10 or tu-2 for example, you can then have taw missions going in 1944-45, so add more maps and make taw longer, and use existing bobp axis airplanes that now you cant use to add more maps as they dont have any oponents... but if time to make thouse airplanes is waisted on transport airplane that dosent give anything that cant be done with existing airplanes to complete his mission objective, then you dont have use for late war axis airplanes now in game for taw and your stuck with war up to 43 insted making it full 41-45 east front like ADW had. But yes its better to make transport airplanes... and po-2 that was great choice lol what a waist of recorces

The Po-2 was made by a third party contracted developer and was a great success. The li-2 could easily be re modeled to be a C-47. You call it a waste of resources when you are suggesting them committing to the eastern front which everybody is sick and tired of and would be a terrible business decision.

Online play is a VERY small part of this game and will never be the priority or focus ever. The great thing about the IL-2 team is that are extremely efficient with the resources they have and you can see that by the rate of content that is delivered at an astonishing rate and to a very high quality standard.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, 77.CountZero said:

The  development of the Li-2 would open up for additional missions though, as well as new targets for the fighter pilots. 
As it is now the Ju52 isn't used n missions as there is no russian counterpart. And just replacing it with a Pe2 isn't really working. 
I mean, we have a huge selection of fighters and people like them because they want to experience flying them. But do we need more? Do we say need the 262 or the p51, can't we  not just use the 109 and lagg3, it's the same  aint it? 

A wide plane set allow for a larger experience of the air war and open up for more possibilities than just an air brawl.

Posted (edited)
On 7/24/2019 at 12:40 PM, BlitzPig_EL said:

In IL2 '46 I made a DF map scenario where the Germans had succeeded in taking Stalingrad and the oil fields, sending the Soviet Govt. into disarray, leaving the door open to a revolution by monarchists and anti communist Cossack forces.  The Tzarina Anastasia (or someone claiming to be her) claimed the throne and set herself up in Vladivostok, Russian forces in the east and Siberia swore loyalty to her.  Meanwhile, after the tragic accident at Alamogordo, the US atomic bomb program fell two years behind, hence, the Imperial Japanese continued fighting in to 1946, and linked up with their German allies in central Asia.   This allowed me to use all the "46" aircraft, in the scenario.  It was actually fun. 

Sounds decent for alt history...

I like simpler is better. No grand story just friendly fire and distrust led to general hostilitied for a month or two before govts calmed it down.

Or the biggest stretch im willing is a crazy power grab by soviets or allies and a stalemate after a horrific but interesting 9 mnths or so of combat

Sspeaking of alternative history the book How the Axis Could Have Won (or close) was actually good. I heard the only semi plausible scenario Germany could maybe have won WW2 - involving seizing Gibraltar and makibg the Med an Axis lake/stronghold and seizung the Suez and British mid east assets - at the cost of Barbarossa. The plan didnt go beyond 42ish but was decent. It was short vignetttes by respected historians. Glantz did a ww3 scenario where it was misunderstandijgs etc for a few weeks ofnfighting before the higher ups (Zhukov, Eisenhower, etc) regaijed control and shot a lot of people.  Still i recomend it.

10 hours ago, [RBRI]Khaela said:

The  development of the Li-2 would open up for additional missions though, as well as new targets for the fighter pilots. 
As it is now the Ju52 isn't used n missions as there is no russian counterpart. And just replacing it with a Pe2 isn't really working. 
I mean, we have a huge selection of fighters and people like them because they want to experience flying them. But do we need more? Do we say need the 262 or the p51, can't we  not just use the 109 and lagg3, it's the same  aint it? 

A wide plane set allow for a larger experience of the air war and open up for more possibilities than just an air brawl.

I like the po2 but they do need to add some stuff to help it. As it is it really needs help for night missions - the bomb sight needs functionality. They need more mods for it to gice variety for missions.  This could also apply for the ju52.

I know the community loves tge po2 and its heresy but I think they should have made a C47/Li2 and its outrageous they have transport planes but not probably THE transport plane of ALL time

Edited by Sublime

Posted (edited)
On 7/25/2019 at 9:58 PM, Sublime said:

Sounds decent for alt history...

Most of the WWII alt histories revolve around the continuation of the war, in the 1946 sort of way...I often think an interesting and even plausible alternative scenario would be starting way earlier, say in 1941 and going forward from there.

The sort of thing I have had in mind would be a scenario where the USA was allied to Germany and is involved in Operation Barbarossa from the start. You can include or remove the British as you see fit, but either way this scenario is easily doable with the maps and aircraft we currently have.

Taking on a LaGG-3, MiG-3 or a Yak-1 would be interesting in a P-40 no? At one point I even did some skins with yellow noses and bands for P-39, P-40 & Boston but that's about as far as I got :) 

Spoiler

2019_7_28__15_57_49.thumb.jpg.f4bb20169544380e8e60b675c75b865b.jpg

Spoiler

2019_7_28__15_54_44.thumb.jpg.64fda09c38eea31615f082e167a5b32c.jpg

Edited by Pict

Posted (edited)

I can dig it.

Also good alternate histories IMO would be WW1 into the 20s, or WW2 with 30s equipment but all the major powers still.  I like unthinkable because 1946 with the 3rd Reich still operating is just so out there for me.  You fold that into a few units under Allied cmd and a few divisions I can suspend disbelief though.   Best of all IMO its the most eminently doable - we basically have a lot of the aircraft and would just need some additions and maps.  This would perhaps free the design team to focus on making 4 engined bombers or true dynamic campaigns or something else as a major marketing point of the new title.  If not I hope it becomes a mod someday - it always caught my imagination when Id read history books and read about clashes between the Allies by accident over Europe.  Also the on youtube a fav channel of mine (mark felton productions) did a short episode on a dogfight during Korea between a US F9F panther formation and a bunch of Mig15s that was secret and unknown to me until now that was fascinating.

I also like for ideas a WW3 early 50s scenario without nukes, and of course 70s/80s WW3 (thats more 'the other sim' territory)

Does anyone else seem to think A LOT of the changes in the new DD point to Korea? For example having g suits or not? That was a huge deal in the Korean war as a US advantage at first was the better g suits we had

(Edit sorry for rambles)

P.s. or even not super far fetched - say Japan inbades Russia 41. We get Japanese vs Russian planes and we could throw in US aircraft of the era to support the Russians as a US volunteer grp. Or maybe USN a/c.  That could open a *host* of possibilities.  Of course I hesitate to even post this last paragrapg because this ineviteably is going to lead to a "or they could just do the PTO".. Which is true I agree.  After Unthinkable ;)

Edited by Sublime

2 hours ago, Pict said:

You can include or remove the British

I say, old chap! That's a bit stiff! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sublime said:

Unthinkable

Really was unthinkable and that's why they never went ahead with it, at least not the attack plan as they deemed the soviets just to strong to mess with at that time. This coming from people who were well on the way to an A-bomb and had the back wheels to use, twice. They were proven right about the Soviets who successfully invaded Manchuria in a couple of weeks, a massive country with effectively no lines of communication, so pretty much having to cross virgin turf, defended by a very determined Japanese garrison.

When you look at where the Soviets were in the far east at the time when the US dropped the A-bombs on Japan coupled with what we now know about op unthinkable, it's no far stretch to say the A-bombs were intended to stop the Soviets more than the Japanese.

15 minutes ago, Diggun said:

I say, old chap! That's a bit stiff! 

Och no old bean, it's only a what if anyhow :)

I feel that to include the Brits in that scenario wouldn't be easy as although the Brits were just as unlikely an ally to the Soviets as the Yanks were, the US was still neutral in June 1941, unlike the Brits who as we know well were at war with their old enemy. So you would need to organised some kind of peace pact between the UK & Germany...and you can if you wish, like I alluded to in the full post.

Anyhow, we're really short on British aircraft from 1941, so it would just be the Spit 5 and you'd be lacking a bomber unless you borrow the Boston, better the Blenheim and the Stirling and Wellington...really need the Hurricane too :)  It'd be a poor show to turn up with just the Spit, when you neutral pals have two fighters and a bomber, no?

On 7/24/2019 at 10:52 AM, 77.CountZero said:

... or even red side ju52 with only one skin well known that is red airplane, but if you make yak-3 or la-7 ...

Why make an La-7 when we could just reskin a 190D?

That would save even more time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Are they really that close in performance?

Posted (edited)
On 7/11/2019 at 12:42 PM, PatrickAWlson said:

In the spirit of the "What's Left For The Luftwaffe" post, let's talk VVS.

IL4

just put a thread in suggestions for it. would be good parity with the He-111 

Edited by gimpy117

Posted (edited)
On 7/11/2019 at 12:42 PM, PatrickAWlson said:

In the spirit of the "What's Left For The Luftwaffe" post, let's talk VVS.

1944 fighters:

Yak-3

Yak-9

La7

I153

IL4

IL2 1944

DB-3

Of the lot if we could just get a late war Yak and a La7 I would be very happy.

I like this lot. We have to think forward not backwards. No need for '41 - '43 aircraft anymore.

5 hours ago, Royal_Flight said:

Why make an La-7 when we could just reskin a 190D?

That would save even more time. 

Well both aircraft perform differently so that's a no.

The La-7 had 2x 20mm on the engine cowling and 1x 20mm mod firing through the propeller hub so hell no! :)

Edited by JG7_X-Man
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, JG7_X-Man said:

The La-7 had 2x 20mm on the engine cowling and 1x 20mm mod firing through the propeller hub so hell no!

Recheck your sources, dude - that ain't correct.

7 hours ago, JG7_X-Man said:

The La-7 had 2x 20mm on the engine cowling and 1x 20mm mod firing through the propeller hub so hell no! :)

3:35

3xsynchronized B-20 cannons, all under the top front hood.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Brano said:

3:35

3xsynchronized B-20 cannons, all under the top front hood.

It had both 2 and 3 cannon versions but I can't remember why some had 3. The 2 cannon variant was much more common though if my knowledge is correct. 

33 minutes ago, -LUCKY-ThanksSkeletor said:

It had both 2 and 3 cannon versions but I can't remember why some had 3. The 2 cannon variant was much more common though if my knowledge is correct. 

The first production model had 2 cannons, but pilots involved in the frontline evaluation of the plane said more firepower was needed to take down a Fw 190 in a single burst, so production switched to the 3-cannon model, which IIRC was the more common version.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

2 canon version had standard ShVAKs. 3 canon version had new B-20 canons,but due to teething problems with the new gun, most La-7 that took part in fighting till the end of war had standard 2 ShVAKs. B-20 was usually post-war production. B-20 as such was considered as no-go and focus was put on more perspective NS-23 canons. Used in post war La-9.

Edit:

I found a number of total 368 La-7s with 3xB-20 canon armament. Produced in Moscow Zavod no.381 (out of total 1298 La-7s produced there)

Edit2

Found another source that puts start of 3xB-20 production version in Zavod 381 from march 1945. Looking at total of 660 La-7s produced there in 1945, it's quite possible, that this version didn't reach frontline units before 9.5.1945. At least not in any significant numbers.

Edited by Brano
additional info
  • Thanks 4

The P-63 wasn't actually used on the eastern front, but it's a very nice what if.

As we probably won't have that - give us a late-war P-39Q without all the bells (pun intended) and whistles.

Well, not eastern front, but FarEast front for sure. For operations against Japan in Manchuria, VVS had full 190.IAD and 2 regiments of 245.IAD equipped with Kingcobras. They were used as bomber escorts and ground attackers with FAB-100 bombs. Opposition from Japanese fighters was non-existent. There is only one air combat officialy recorded involving 2 cobras against 2 Ki-43s. 

On 7/29/2019 at 5:21 PM, LukeFF said:

The first production model had 2 cannons, but pilots involved in the frontline evaluation of the plane said more firepower was needed to take down a Fw 190 in a single burst, so production switched to the 3-cannon model, which IIRC was the more common version.

No offence meant, but please tell me that your role in the team is not signing off on aircraft variants and mods.

That would be nice map to do after Leningrad for fin guys, but i dont expect DLC for it as you dont have any axis airplanes to do 5v5, most were 190a8 f8 there and we have them in game

On 7/24/2019 at 5:35 PM, -LUCKY-ThanksSkeletor said:

The Po-2 was made by a third party contracted developer and was a great success. The li-2 could easily be re modeled to be a C-47. You call it a waste of resources when you are suggesting them committing to the eastern front which everybody is sick and tired of and would be a terrible business decision.

I agree with your general point here - widening the scope would be good - not to say that I agree that it would be a terrible decision for profitability, just maybe not optimal.

On 7/24/2019 at 5:35 PM, -LUCKY-ThanksSkeletor said:

Online play is a VERY small part of this game and will never be the priority or focus ever. The great thing about the IL-2 team is that are extremely efficient with the resources they have and you can see that by the rate of content that is delivered at an astonishing rate and to a very high quality standard.

Do you have some evidence regarding the very small nature of MP participation in the game? it seems to me that there is a very active MP element here - and from my (limited) point of view MP aerial combat is far more compelling than shooting up bots in SP. This is not to say that any special consideration should be taken to make MP players happy (axis bias claims, allied bias claims, hacky FM whining etc.). My point is that you're quick to discard MP, why?

Agreed on the elite nature of this team, how far this project has come since the early days is absolutely impressive!

On 7/29/2019 at 4:47 PM, -LUCKY-ThanksSkeletor said:

All La-7s were intended to be equipped with 3 synchronized Berezin B-20 20mm cannons in design phase. These were lighter and smaller than ShVAKs - they were basically the UB machinegun converted for the ShVAK's 20mm ammo with essentially no other changes. In effect, they provided ShVAK's firepower for UB mass and dimensions.

However, initially these new weapons were not reliable enough, so they had to stick with two ShVAKs for initial series and only switched to B-20s once their glitches were ironed out.

Story is basically the same with Yak-3 and Yak-9U (with VK-107 at least) - they both received B-20s in place of UBs, but only in later series. This brought Yak-3 up to 3 20mm cannons in the nose and Yak-9U even to 2x 20mm and 1x23 mm. Should make any german fighter pilot think twice about trying a headon with these beasts.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, [_FLAPS_]Dirt_Merchant said:

Do you have some evidence regarding the very small nature of MP participation in the game? it seems to me that there is a very active MP element here - and from my (limited) point of view MP aerial combat is far more compelling than shooting up bots in SP.

In terms of flight sims its by far the most active MP base. But i remember a dev team member saying that in terms of total players the vast majority do not play online. Coop is another story.

Answering to OP and initial question, if we indulge in dreaming, then I'd love to see the:

Ermolaev Er-2 - the true forgotten bomber of WW2 with fascinating story. I'm amazed at how many people haven't even heard about this thing.

Not in operational use when Soviet Union was invaded, yet bombed Berlin itself mere one and a half months later (in August 1941!, speak about guts).

Taken out of production soon after, but production reestablished in 1943, with combat operations restarted as late as April 1945!

They sported Klimov VK-105s, Mikulin AM-37s and even Charomsky ACh-30 diesels - which gave them spectacular range of roughly 5.500 km (on par with G4M!).

Remained in operational use until replaced by Tu-4s.

er2-9.jpg

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, [_FLAPS_]Dirt_Merchant said:

I agree with your general point here - widening the scope would be good - not to say that I agree that it would be a terrible decision for profitability, just maybe not optimal.

Do you have some evidence regarding the very small nature of MP participation in the game? it seems to me that there is a very active MP element here - and from my (limited) point of view MP aerial combat is far more compelling than shooting up bots in SP. This is not to say that any special consideration should be taken to make MP players happy (axis bias claims, allied bias claims, hacky FM whining etc.). My point is that you're quick to discard MP, why?

Agreed on the elite nature of this team, how far this project has come since the early days is absolutely impressive!

from what i could see from web stats:

Wings of liberty had total of  ~31100 users playing on it
kota    ~6300
combox      ~3900
 fin  server    ~9000
ded-normal (icons on)   ~21400

on steam from what i can see highest defolt number on web stats was around Player-32000 so there is atleast 32000 users on steam only

and on forum there is 179000 members, maybe not all have game :)

so you can see how it looks for MP

also most players on servers is around 19-23cet at sundays, and when taw is on there is up to 350ppl at same time 

Edited by 77.CountZero

Posted (edited)

For me it is about much more than fighting. 

It got to have a believable story behind.

People here want late war planes going faster and got more butch guns. 

To me bodenplatte is 90 % loss to lw due to failed navigation. Total air superiority to allied forces.

I need a feeling that there are orders to follow, not being a easy target to fighters.

SP should in theory provide this, and partly does. 

MP is for fighters in reality, planes I wish for simply cant survive in mp. That is why SP remain important, this is why improving AI is important . For every inch  SP improves we gain more customers. I am actually confident it will be better. They improve and add stuff in record braking speed. 

Because of the high number of SP players they should add socalled unplayable planes

Edited by LuseKofte
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, LuseKofte said:

For me it is about much more than fighting. 

It got to have a believable story behind.

People here want late war planes going faster and got more butch guns. 

To me bodenplatte is 90 % loss to lw due to failed navigation. Total air superiority to allied forces.

I need a feeling that there are orders to follow, not being a easy target to fighters.

SP should in theory provide this, and partly does. 

MP is for fighters in reality, planes I wish for simply cant survive in mp. That is why SP remain important, this is why improving AI is important . For every inch  SP improves we gain more customers. I am actually confident it will be better. They improve and add stuff in record braking speed. 

Because of the high number of SP players they should add socalled unplayable planes

Definitely agreed here, I think the recent hiring of the AI guy is pretty evident where their intentions lie. If they can really make something out of the AI and give us some better orders to give to our wingmen we could have a really special treat on our hands. A comms menu like in cliffs or 1946 would just make this game come alive.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, LuseKofte said:

For every inch  SP improves we gain more customers.

That's it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

No offence meant, but please tell me that your role in the team is not signing off on aircraft variants and mods.

First off, I've never been employed by 1CGS or 777 Studios - all my work has been as a contractor.

Secondly, what exactly was wrong with the info I posted? 

8 hours ago, [_FLAPS_]Dirt_Merchant said:

Do you have some evidence regarding the very small nature of MP participation in the game?

There was a post made a while ago by a dev that explicitly stated the percentage of buyers who play MP is very low.

Edited by LukeFF
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, [_FLAPS_]Dirt_Merchant said:

Do you have some evidence regarding the very small nature of MP participation in the game?

Jason himself said that 90% of the customer base was single player in one of his Q&A sessions , from the man himself 2.33.00 time stamp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0TawmZ49oU

• Upvote 1