Jason_Williams

Alert! Need Help with Pilot Biographies (British and German)

Guys,

Looking for someone to help write several British and a couple more German Pilot Biographies. If interested check out this thread. See original post for instructions.

Let me know if you're interested by posting in the thread.

Jason

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lythronax said:

I'd gladly help out with some of the RAF pilots!

Great. Please read the instructions and give it a shot. There is a special way they are constructed to work in the Career.

Jason

I have one British and one German biography which I have been working on, so if they fit within the format I would be interested too.  

11 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

I have one British and one German biography which I have been working on, so if they fit within the format I would be interested too.  

Feathered just check the format in the instructions. Not terribly difficult. Just post in the other thread when ready. Would love to have them.

Jason

Hi Jason,
In regards to the British biographies, must they all be strictly British in nationality or can this include Empire/Commonwealth chaps like with the voice actors?

Cheers

Posted (edited)

I really want to do one but leaving the DOB as a variable is putting me off.

My story would be of a NE England person, that was used to the strikes of the 30s and being from a poor family managed to get in to the RAF at the low level. But after he was given a chance, he excelled. But his Public School comrades did not value him as one of their own. ................ But he went on to be better than them.

Edited by AeroAce
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, HBPencil said:

Hi Jason,
In regards to the British biographies, must they all be strictly British in nationality or can this include Empire/Commonwealth chaps like with the voice actors?

Cheers

That's a good question. I have enough RCAF pilot biographies and associated information that I could come up with a pretty convincing fiction on a Canadian pilot bio or two.

IMHO, I think that'd be the right call. The 2nd TAF was made up of RAF, RCAF, RAAF, SAAF and RNZAF (have I missed any?) as part of the organization. Oh and that's not forgetting pilots like Pierre Closterman who were free french pilots.

Edited by ShamrockOneFive

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, HBPencil said:

Hi Jason,

Cheers

We had a lot of Canadians, French, Polish, Czech, Belgian and Norwegian guys flying for 2 TAF on the continent between 6/44 and 4/45. Would be nice to have that somehow represented in the game.

Edited by sevenless
  • Like 3

Yeah. Come to think of it, we do have a 322SQ skin (amongst others). That's a Dutch squadron.

IIRC

8 hours ago, Screamer said:

Yeah. Come to think of it, we do have a 322SQ skin (amongst others). That's a Dutch squadron.

IIRC

The problem with that skin is, is that it's a paintjob 322 used during the so called 'police actions'(aka the 'politionele acties') in Indonesia, after the war. During that phase of the war the game depicts, 322 was already in the Netherlands, but still under RAF control and flying the Mk XVI Spitfire.

The other Dutch squadron ingame (320 squadron) was on Melsbroek airfield, flying B25s...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, HBPencil said:

Hi Jason,

Cheers

I need 6 truly British Bios and 4 commonwealth to get is going. We can add more later.

Jason 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, AeroAce said:

I really want to do one but leaving the DOB as a variable is putting me off.

My story would be of a NE England person, that was used to the strikes of the 30s and being from a poor family managed to get in to the RAF at the low level. But after he was given a chance, he excelled. But his Public School comrades did not value him as one of their own. ................ But he went on to be better than them.

You don't need an exact date of birth for this.

Come on guys, the sooner we get this done, the sooner we get BoBP released! 😎

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

I need 6 truly British Bios and 4 commonwealth to get is going. We can add more later.

Jason 

Cool, thanks for the clarification.

I'll give it a go for a Brit if still needed? A truly Brit Bio is something I think I could really get me teeth into (the ones I've got left that is!).

I've found for the couple of biographies I've done that it's really easy to come up with ideas for biographies by typing in "ww2 pilot" and then the region you are trying to portray. All sorts of articles pop up, typically in newspaper stories talking about a local who flew during the war. Invariably, they give all sorts of details about the pilot's background. That's how I was able to write a bio about a pilot from Montana - one of the first links I clicked on gave a really interesting background on a guy, and from there I was able to create a bio without any problems. 

I just wrote a guy from Montana :)

1 hour ago, Gambit21 said:

I just wrote a guy from Montana :)

Sweet!

Personally I hope this rather famous Pilot Officer will show up:

raf-captain-in-pub-village-hall-dance-sign-button-ww2-military-comic-postcard-34888-p.jpg

Percy.jpg

download.jpg

download (1).jpg

3231943810_62a0c62c47_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

I am no great writer in any sense. But would love to see a biography for a pilot that started thier career with the Royal Navy but then joined the Fleet Air Arm of the Royal Air Force in order to learn to fly. Subsequently deciding to remain with the Royal Air Force when control over the Fleet Air Arm returned to the Royal Navy. Here's some scans from War in a Stringbag about Charles Lamb for a background idea (except taking the opposite decision to Charles) so am suggesting some kind of Johnny Hyde or Sailor Malan type biography basically.

OmRSWWS.jpg

zFGfb2T.jpg

JrS6l3T.jpg

Get the navy represented in some manner. ;)

Edited by Oliver88
  • Like 1

I'm in the middle of a laptop crisis... but I should still be able to use Word on my smart phone. I would love to help and need the little extra cash. 

Plus I have "applied" via the helped wanted for any other projects.

Let me know! Would be an honor

Fang

Amongst the targets for the RAF on 1st January 1945 was the familiar site of the Dortmund-Ems Canal, a key route in German industrial supply. In 1940 a raid on the canal had led to the first Victoria Cross for Bomber Command. Now another member of Bomber Command was similarly recognised:

Portrait of George Thompson, a wireless operator with No 9 Squadron, who was posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross for his gallantry on 1 January 1945 during a raid on the Dortmund-Ems Canal near Ladbergen, Germany.
Portrait of George Thompson, a wireless operator with No 9 Squadron, who was posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross for his gallantry on 1 January 1945 during a raid on the Dortmund-Ems Canal near Ladbergen, Germany.

This airman was the wireless operator in a Lancaster aircraft which attacked the Dortmund-Ems Canal in daylight on 1st January, 1945. The bombs had just been released when a heavy shell hit the aircraft in front of the mid-upper turret. Fire broke out and dense smoke filled the fuselage. The nose of the aircraft was then hit and an inrush of air, clearing the smoke, revealed a scene of utter devastation. Most of the perspex screen of the nose compartment had been shot away, gaping holes had been torn in the canopy above the pilot’s head, the inter-communication wiring was severed, and there was a large hole in the floor of the aircraft. Bedding and other equipment were badly damaged or alight; one engine was on fire.

Flight Sergeant Thompson saw that the gunner was unconscious in the blazing mid-upper turret. Without hesitation he went down the fuselage into the fire and the exploding ammunition. He pulled the gunner from his turret and, edging his way round the hole in the floor, carried him away from the flames. With his bare hands, he extinguished the gunner’s burning clothing. He himself sustained serious burns on his face, hands and legs.

Flight Sergeant Thompson then noticed that the rear gun turret was also on fire. Despite his own severe injuries he moved painfully to the rear of the fuselage where he found the rear gunner with his clothing alight, overcome by flames and fumes. A second time Flight Sergeant Thompson braved the flames. With great difficulty he extricated the helpless gunner and carried him clear. Again, he used his bare hands, already burnt, to beat out flames on a comrade’s clothing.

Flight Sergeant Thompson, by now almost exhausted, felt that his duty was not yet done. He must report the fate of the crew to the captain. He made the perilous journey back through the burning fuselage, clinging to the sides with his burnt hands to get across the hole in the floor. The flow of cold air caused him intense pain and frost-bite developed. So pitiful was his condition that his captain failed to recognise him. Still, his only concern was for the two gunners he had left in the rear of the aircraft. He was given such attention as was possible until a crash-landing was made some forty minutes later.

When the aircraft was hit, Flight Sergeant Thompson might have devoted his efforts to quelling the fire and so have contributed to his own safety. He preferred to go through the fire to succoor his comrades. He knew that he would then be in no position to hear or heed any order which might to given to abandon the aircraft. He hazarded his own life in order to save the lives of others. Young in years and experience, his actions were those of a veteran.

Three weeks later Flight Sergeant Thompson died of his injuries. One of the gunners unfortunately also died, but the other owes his life to the superb gallantry of Flight Sergeant Thompson, whose signal courage and self-sacrifice will ever be ato the Service.n inspiration 

George_Thompson_VC_IWM_CH_14685.jpg

• Like 1

@Jason_Williams First-time posting here. Played the original IL-2 Sturmovik for a long time, starting in 2001, and recently took flight into the digital skies again. I am loving the feeling of flight in the current iteration — a truly lovely simulation.

I would like to contribute an RAF bio as my father was born in England in the time of the war and I have stories that I can adapt into a pilot biography. I have a couple of questions:

1. Is it alright if I email you or IL-2 Support Staff the text, or do you need it posted in the other forum thread?

2. Can you confirm it is 2500 characters (around 400–450 words), and not 2500 words?

With kind regards and many thanks to you and the IL-2 team.

2 hours ago, Hypertexthero said:

1. Is it alright if I email you or IL-2 Support Staff the text, or do you need it posted in the other forum thread?

2. Can you confirm it is 2500 characters (around 400–450 words), and not 2500 words?

I don’t speak for Jason, but he was clear that if you want to contribute, post your text in the linked thread. He has not stated that we are done here so if you have a bio, go for it.

everyone else has been doing 2500 to 3500 characters  more or less.

welcome to the forum and IL2 👍

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Jaegermeister said:

everyone else has been doing 2500 to 3500 characters  more or less.

welcome to the forum and IL2 👍

Thank you, @Jaegermeister!

Edit: Here it is!

Edited by Hypertexthero

Jason,

I would like to help you with this request, if I can?

I have posted on the original IL2-1946 many campaigns that included missions featuring ‘Operation BodenPlatte’.

British

1.    ‘The Big Show’ – Flt.Lt. Pierre Clostermann

2.    ‘Wing Leader’ - Group Captain Johnny Johnson

3.    ‘My Part in the Sky’ - Wing Commander Roland Beaumont

German

1.    ‘I Flew for the Fuhrer’ – Lt. Heinz Knoke

2.    ‘Alert in the West’ – Lt. Willi Heilmann (JG54 Normandy 1944) + (Green Hearts)

3.    ‘The First and the Last’ – Lt.Gen. Adolf Galland (Various Campaigns)

4.    ‘Green Hearts – First in combat with the Dora 9’ author Axel Urbanke

All these campaigns are based on the above pilots/authors autobiographies and biographies naming the campaigns with their book names where possible. All mission texts were written in my own words, interpreted from the books, so I hopefully wasn’t breaching copyrights. I did have some very encouraging feedback from some members of the pilots’ families and authors.

Sadly all my books are in temporary storage at the moment so I can’t refer to them. I am willing to help you with any mission scripts that I have written to use in your pilots’ campaigns. Good pilot biographies can be found on Wikipedia.

This is just a friendly request – it would be great if you could include the following two aircraft in ‘Bodenplatte’ as ‘Collector Planes’, they are:-

·         Typhoon Mk.1B

·         Spitfire Mk. XIV

These aircraft figured heavily in this campaign area. (Battle of Rhineland)

As an example, I have attached a .doc showing the mission names and notes of my ‘Green Hearts - Dora 9’ campaign.

DFLion

Green_Hearts_Dora9_Campaign_notes.zip

Where are you Jason?

I know you are a very busy man - please reply to my post. I am really starting to get involved with this flight simulation, you are all doing (the team) a terrific job with the Russian team - keep up the good work. I am trying to help you with 'Bodenplatte' to make it a great part of the whole simulation. I have done so much work researching this period of WWII aerial warfare and I really understand what was happening at that time.

DFLion

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, DFLion said:

Where are you Jason?

I know you are a very busy man - please reply to my post. I am really starting to get involved with this flight simulation, you are all doing (the team) a terrific job with the Russian team - keep up the good work. I am trying to help you with 'Bodenplatte' to make it a great part of the whole simulation. I have done so much work researching this period of WWII aerial warfare and I really understand what was happening at that time.

DFLion

You’re asking about 2 things, neither of which applies or is appropriate here.

Scripted campaign authors handle the mission descriptions.

Career missions are generated and such detailed descriptions are not applicable.

Aircraft discussions happen elsewhere.

18 hours ago, DFLion said:

Where are you Jason?

He’s in Las Vegas, or maybe Moscow, or possibly in England looking at Tempests. Some people hope he is in Japan, leafing through old Mitsubishi aeronautical engineering books with a translator...

The directions were clear, you are in the wrong thread, and if you want to contribute, read the original post and go ahead and do some writing following the stated format. They may use your submissions or maybe not. No one has said it is done yet so there’s only one way to find out.

Lots of us want to help, but if you don’t pass the “follow directions” test first, your efforts will be overlooked.

Welcome to the forum. 👍

Hi DFLion.  Nice to see such a long-time member of the sim community here. If you bring even a tenth of all the effort you contributed to the original Il-2 series, it will still be heaps. ;)

On 8/6/2019 at 1:32 AM, DFLion said:

Where are you Jason?

DFLion

Hello Lion,

First, I have all the pilot bios I need now, we can add more later if we want to. Not all submitted will be used at the beginning. 

Second, I don't think you are offering Pilot Bios, but some kind of Campaign works? Looks like you made some Campaigns for IL-2:1946. That's great, but our system is different than old Sturmovik due to our mission editor being much different and our overall Campaign system is much different. Our ME is complex, but very powerful. Feel free to learn our mission editor and start making missions for the community and do whatever you want with our maps and objects. There is a whole section of the forum dedicated to it. I'm sure there are many mission makers who would love to give you a hand if you get stuck. You are 5 years behind the curve though, where have you been? 

Mission Making - https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/92-mission-making-and-mission-editor/

Campaigns Making - https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/111-scripted-campaigns/ 

Jason  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

There is a whole section of the forum dedicated to it. I'm sure there are many mission makers who would love to give you a hand if you get stuck. 

Most certainly!

Hello Jason,

Thank you for your reply, very much appreciated. I’ve been away with my family celebrating my 71st birthday and missed your reply.

I apologise, I know I am in wrong areas in the forum and will amend this mistake. As you can see I am older flight simmer though still thoroughly enjoy playing them, especially this new version – keep up the excellent work. I will shortly be pre-ordering the new ‘Achtung Spitfire’ Campaign.

I have produced quite a few campaigns based around your new ‘Boddenplatte Northern European map’ on the IL2 1946 using simulated maps. What I was trying to say to you is not so much the pilot bio’s but the mission text, which I have tried to produce accurately and historically for each campaign.

You are right I will have to thoroughly learn how to use the new ME (which I am doing now) and then re-create my old campaigns lifting my old mission text and placing it the new campaign. I will certainly ask for help if I get stuck, the new ME is a much larger learning curve.

What I am very excited about is the new Boddenplatte map which will provide a much more realistic scenario for these Campaigns with the real villages, towns and cities involved.

You are right, I have been away from the IL2 Sturmovick world for quite a few years. I am a retired ex-serviceman and have been doing volunteer work in this area to help our returning servicemen and women. I have now retired from this work and will be getting back into the IL2 World.

DFLion

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1