No_85_Gramps

About buildings/fuel dumps etc as targets

As I continue my foray into mission building I have a question concerning object groups. So, I start a new mission, set-up the map, and then load in the needed groups to populate the map (and delete the stuff that is outside my intended AO). So at this point in order to make a fuel dump, for instance, a target, I have to make it a linked entity and then assign it a nationality in the advanced properties menu. Is that the correct way? I mean it worked, but it seems like there should be an easier way (probably not though) to set these up.

No this is the way you do it. You should make yourself very familiar with the mission tree on the left side. 

A well organized mission tree is an important first step. 

UsoFwxB.jpg

For Buildings etc, remember to set the correct durability. 

I think everything under 2000 can be destroyed by machineguns, while values over 2000 are set for bombs etc. But you have to try that out maybe or have a look at THIS EXCELLENT GUIDE

NgBBFzR.jpg

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

So, doing it this way allows you to set the whole block at one time, great! I'll check into the durability values. Between the two manuals and the forums I must have missed this. Thank you for the information.

Edited by No_85_Gramps

Remember to place any blocks that you’re using as targets in their own folder. If you don’t and you need to adjust something a year from now, you’ll spend some time trying to locate them.

Stay organized.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

So, in the mission tree I can select a block, make it a linked entity, set the durability, but no way to change the country unless you go into the advanced properties?

Gambit, do you mean put the blocks in their own group ? I'm not quite clear on the "own folder" idea.

Edit: Ok, it seems that if you select multiple blocks you can change the country for them all.

Edit: Ok, selecting the target blocks and making them a group puts that group in the mission tree.

Baby steps still as I dig deeper into the ME.

Edited by No_85_Gramps

Yep, their own group...not sure why I said folder.

Thanks Gambit and HBB*Hunger! Started with a new map and now focusing on how to utilize the mission tree. It actually simplifies working with the editor. Just have to focus on how nesting the groups works, and I definitely see the benefits of a well organized mission tree.

Here's a shot of my mission tree for one of the campaign missions, with the "Scenery" group partially unpacked.

You can see all of the sub-groups to keep things organized.

Player flight is in it's own group, etc.

I've opened some guy's missions to try and help them and I cant' even look at their work because it's a jumbled mess.

I recently completed a single mission/new mission type that has an entire campaign's worth of logic in that one mission file.

If that mission wasn't very carefully organized I'd have no hope of going back in and fixing something later, especially if it's been a while.

Mission Tree.jpg

• Upvote 1