=GW=seaflanker819

What's the max zoom multiple for 2Dscreen?

1 hour ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

Sorry but your experience with il2 in VR is 0, so you have no idea what's it's like nor your statements carry any weight.

Try it and report back, no dissrespect!

I started on 1080p monitor, switched to 27" 2k monitor using tir5, bought rift cv1 and few months ago upgraded to rift s (i don't use any mods).

There is a huuuuge advantage flying on monitor and using tir.

Spotting, SA and ID is much easier on monitor, add tir to it and you have entry level weapon(VR) vs God mode(monitor+tir).

Only thing where VR have benefits is gunnery!

I tried to get back to monitor+tir when in MP but can't immersion wise.

I get killed a lot more in VR, many times i dive blind not knowing is friendly or enemy bellow me to check on him and drain my E.

Many times i missed 100% guranteed chance to shot unaware enemy simply cos i had to flyby or get out of his blind spot to ID it.

Again, VR in MP is in huge disadvantage vs monitor+tir users but nothing can beat VR immersion.

Yes, VR needs 5xzoom, even then it will still be in slight disadvatage!

Funny you’re telling me to try VR and then the rest of your post explains all it’s disadvantages. I’ll take your word for it. I’m fine sticking with “God Mode”

Understanding the “zoom level” differences is very simple though. When you were using a 27” screen, zoomed-in was about the equivalent of a 1:1 view. In VR your view is already 1:1. The 5x zoom on a monitor only magnifies you up to a little bigger than life sized, not 5x life sized. Again I don’t really care what zoom level people use. But the monitor zoom doesn’t enlarge the world to 5x it’s size.

And you don’t need to actually game in VR. Wearing the headset is enough to understand this. It just looks real. Like you’re there. Which is pretty amazing. The world is life sized. It’s also like you’re wearing a scuba mask and everything is blurry. That part puts me off from ever sim gaming in one.  

Edited by SharpeXB

17 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

Funny you’re telling me to try VR and then the rest of your post explains all it’s disadvantages. I’ll take your word for it. I’m fine sticking with “God Mode”

Understanding the “zoom level” differences is very simple though. When you were using a 27” screen, zoomed-in was about the equivalent of a 1:1 view. In VR your view is already 1:1. The 5x zoom on a monitor only magnifies you up to a little bigger than life sized, not 5x life sized. Again I don’t really care what zoom level people use. But the monitor zoom doesn’t enlarge the world to 5x it’s size.

And you don’t need to actually game in VR. Wearing the headset is enough to understand this. It just looks real. Like you’re there. Which is pretty amazing. The world is life sized. It’s also like you’re wearing a scuba mask and everything is blurry. That part puts me off from ever sim gaming in one.  

What you are forgetting about is that it is not just scale, it is resolution. So on a 4k monitor, if zoom brings you to a 1:1 view at 4k it is not the same as VR bringing you to a 1:1 view at a much lower resolution. This makes ID much more difficult on VR vs the 4K. This isn't about spotting its about ID.

Edited by SCG_Wulfe

18 minutes ago, SCG_Wulfe said:

What you are forgetting about is that it is not just scale, it is resolution. So on a 4k monitor, if zoom brings you to a 1:1 view at 4k it is not the same as VR bringing you to a 1:1 view at a much lower resolution. This makes ID much more difficult on VR vs the 4K. This isn't about spotting its about ID.

True

Speaking of zoom view in VR

In this video the zoom view looks like it’s on an axis. 

Wouldn't that make you sick in VR?

I though VR zoom was a snap view. This player also seems to be doing really well using the same zoom level as a monitor. 

Edited by SharpeXB

This discussion demonstrates exactly why the developers should provide better support for 3D VR so that there is some quality control where zoom settings are roughly comparable to 2D users--2x is clearly not nearly enough but does 10x goes too far?  Why don't we just have 5x for both 2D and 3D?   That we have to rely on a 3rd party developer to provide what is essentially a cheat (i.e., features not available to everyone) to make the zoom roughly comparable is really not acceptable in my opinion for a competitive game/sim.  

When many of the multiplayer servers were running the "alternative viewing"system, the one where the contacts get blown up at long distances to make spotting easier (~10-20k), I was flying with a wingman using VR and he was EASILY IDing aircraft that were only 2 or 3 pixels wide on my 2K, 27" monitor.  In this case, he obviously had a huge advantage in IDing aircraft over me.  The difference is much smaller with the default viewing system but I'm convinced that 10x clearly gives the VR user an advantage versus 5x of 2D.  That's why I originally sought out this mod so I could get more zoom comparable to my VR wingman but I cannot run this mod online.

Also, you're not clear in your writing EAF_Ribbon.  In the first part of your last message you write, " (i don't use any mods)," but then you write you need the "10xzoom".  So, are you using the  3Dmigoto "mod" or not?  If you have access to a 2K monitor like I do, then please provide a scenario with a plane contact, say 8k distance, and show screenshots of the difference between the target using the 5x zoom in the 2D screen versus the 10x zoom using 3D.  This should give us an excellent idea of the difference, right?

3 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

I though VR zoom was a snap view. This player also seems to be doing really well using the same zoom level as a monitor. 

I'm pretty sure that is a recorded track that is being played back on a monitor and zoomed normally to make the video.

Please we need a second zoon in VR like 5x similar to DCS spyglass or what the Migoto Mod Provided. I am having a really hard time playing in multiplayer servers.... I can not spot as well and really strain my eyesight having to use the native x2 VR zoom.... please please Help

On 11/25/2019 at 5:50 PM, SharpeXB said:

That's my video - my initials IRL are "GLS" so I paint them on my planes. I am really good without Migoto zoom, but my friends aren't in quite the same spot - and I care about their gameplay experience.

The zoom in external cam is added when recording the track, though the zoom on internal cam is just how VR zoom normally works. It toggles between "off" and "low", but there's no intermediate.

On 5/26/2020 at 5:05 PM, E69_Qpassa_VR said:

I prefer insta-zoom, migoto mode rather than slowly zooming in

You can change this in Startup.cfg!