=GW=seaflanker819

What's the max zoom multiple for 2Dscreen?

I find some mods for VR 10x zoom, and I wonder what's the max zoom for screen, 5x or 10x, are there any mod can break up the limit of screen zoom?

• Confused 1

Anybody?  Why do VR users get to have a zoom mod but not 2d users?  My squadmates with the zoom mod can easily ID targets well before I can with my 2K monitor.  What is the zoom difference between 2D and 3D (with the zoom model enabled)?

Edited by SCG_Limboski
  • Confused 1

Not so sure, but I think you can try Lefuneste mod in flat screen...

I don't know what are the zoom levels on flat screen, I know that, unmodded, flat screen enjoys a MUCH better zoom level, I was IDing more easily on flat screen,  and Lefuneste mod was made to level up differences.

Thing is, there's no limit AFAIK on the mod max zoom level, it's a number you put in a configuration file. So the zoom difference can be anything.

When I was using it, I limited myself to something like 4x or 5x, which was giving me a result approaching what I had on flat screen (default, unmodded max zoom in VR is x2). I stopped using it, I have some ID issue but not so much in the end.

• Like 1

AFAIK Lefuneste zoom can be used in 2D mode.

I use 5X zoom, similar to deafult 2D zoom, and 10X zoom, which is probably more than enough. The beauty is that using Lefuneste zoom does not change LOD models, so you don't see targets actually shrinking in size when zooming, unlike the default zoom view.

Default zoom in VR is 2X, almost useless.

• Confused 1

The max 2D zoom is 5x.

However VR zoom and 2d zoom are not directly comparable in a simple way. A Some VR sets have a 200 degree FOVs so zooming in 5x will result in far small objects than zooming in 5x from the 2d screens maximum FOV (90 degrees?).

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

According to the 3DMigoto mod thread, it says that zoom function is NOT available for 2d users.  Am I missing something here?

----

Instantaneous X1.5, X5 and X10 zoom to give same zoom level in VR as in 2D
Activated  by "INSER" key for 1.5X, "HOME" for 5x ,"PAGEUP " for 10x.
This feature is automatically disabled for non VR use.

---

I would argue that the 10x zoom is still better than the 5x default zoom for 2d users despite a VR set reducing the effective power of the zoom.  Targets are like literally only a few pixels wide on my 2K monitor when my squadmates are calling them out.  (I could be wrong to some degree but this has been m y experience and I have no way to formally test since I do not have a VR set.)

Nobody is arguing that, afaik. We all said x5 via mod is giving similar results to 2D zoom.

15 minutes ago, SCG_Limboski said:

I would argue that the 10x zoom is still better than the 5x default zoom for 2d users despite a VR set reducing the effective power of the zoom.  Targets are like literally only a few pixels wide on my 2K monitor when my squadmates are calling them out.  (I could be wrong to some degree but this has been m y experience and I have no way to formally test since I do not have a VR set.)

Did Fenris finally let you on his secrit tool to ID things 30km away? 

Yes, the new spotting (unfixed one) and the VR zoom allows you to count the nose hairs from 30km.

• Upvote 1

On 7/9/2019 at 5:52 PM, 8./JG5_seaflanker819 said:

I find some mods for VR 10x zoom, and I wonder what's the max zoom for screen, 5x or 10x, are there any mod can break up the limit of screen zoom?

You can measure the FoV of a monitor, but for 'zoom' levels to mean anything, you need to state how large the monitor is, and how far it is from the viewer.

This is what by default is in game:

Spoiler

from cameracockpit.cfg:
    DefaultFOVGrad = 60.0000
    MaximumFOVGrad = 150.0000
    MinimumFOVGrad = 30.0000

ZoomVelocity = 0.50000

ISABSSNAP = false

[ExplosionTilt]
    MaxDeviation=0.15f;
    Periods=0.2,0.05;
[end]

so fov 30 is max zoom i guess.

In mod for extrazoom i just modified minimumFOVGrad = 1.0000 to have max zoom, but that mod you can only use when enable mods. I guess it would be used most in sp as you can use it with mods on and no one cares (or on servers in mp with mods on) . But for most of MP users i guess its not usefull as almost all play on mods off servers.

Edited by 77.CountZero

On 10/8/2019 at 2:12 AM, 77.CountZero said:

This is what by default is in game:

Reveal hidden contents

from cameracockpit.cfg:
    DefaultFOVGrad = 60.0000
    MaximumFOVGrad = 150.0000
    MinimumFOVGrad = 30.0000

ZoomVelocity = 0.50000

ISABSSNAP = false

[ExplosionTilt]
    MaxDeviation=0.15f;
    Periods=0.2,0.05;
[end]

so fov 30 is max zoom i guess.

In mod for extrazoom i just modified minimumFOVGrad = 1.0000 to have max zoom, but that mod you can only use when enable mods. I guess it would be used most in sp as you can use it with mods on and no one cares (or on servers in mp with mods on) . But for most of MP users i guess its not usefull as almost all play on mods off servers.

Why 3Dmigoto can be used in MP, but your mod can just use in SP??

I dont know why game devs alow use of 3dmigoto in not moded MP servers as it gives players big advantage over players who dont have it.

You can play with my mod in MP , but only if server alows mods on. My mod is made like any other mod game devs alow to be make, to be used when you turn on mods option in game, and when that option is turned on you can see only servers alowing Mods and play on them in MP.

Yes...this exactly my question.  There should be some quality control by the developers as to maximum zoom/fov value allowed between the different hardware so that everybody has roughly equal ability to identify aircraft in the distance.  It don't  think this would require too much work and it doesn't have to be exactly equal.  2D users are clearly better at VR users without the 3dmigoto mod but significantly superior with based on my observations on online play with both types of users.

Edited by SCG_Limbo
  • Upvote 1

This is a big can of worms here and one of the reasons why the developers should have at least given VR players the ability to zoom as much as non VR players in the game. VR only by default allows a 2X zoom. 2d players have 5X zoom by default in the game. 

Resolution is definitely worse in VR making ID significantly harder than on monitor. To give the VR player less zoom makes this exponentially worse. Before the 3dmigoto Zoom mod, playing multiplayer in VR was a huge disadvantage. 

Que the 3dmigoto mod which allows 5x (matching default 2d zoom) and 10x. The 10x is maybe a bit excessive but helps make up for the lack of resolution inherent in VR that a good monitor has. That said, I would be happy with 5x zoom in VR. My experience is that on a 4k monitor with the default zoom I can ID planes almost as well at 5x as I can at 10x with the mod in VR. (probably the break even point would be something like 7x zoom in VR and 5x zoom on monitor)

You were on comms last night when I called Sinerox to dive on what I thought was an IL2  below us at which point he reported it was an Stuka. He has better ID abilities than I do and often ID's better than I do with his 5x monitor zoom. 

Edited by SCG_Wulfe
  • Upvote 1

Wulfe speaks the truth here.

To add - in VR the 3dmigoto mod allows for any custom zoom modes between 1 and 10. However, in my personal experience with VivePro, the zoom that can be used effectively is around x5-x6 and anything higher than that is diminished by the decreased FoV and the increased exessive vibration of the screens/picture, i.e. caused by your head/hmd. At x10 the shaking of the picture is very pronounced and the FOV is so small that it's very difficult to even find the object, let alone trying to identify it after...

So, no, I don't think we-the-VR-guys have any advantage in the game when it comes to zoom.

Or maybe I have an early onset of Parkinson's... 😄

Edited by Count_de_Money
  • Upvote 3

When using the zoom view on a monitor the user may be looking at a 24” screen where even a 5x level only results in an approximately life sized view. 
VR is already looking at a life sized view so a 5x level in VR results in a huge image. There’s not a comparison between the two magnification levels. 
Both technologies require a zoom view to overcome resolution but VR is really deficient in that regard. For now.

Zoom mods (or any mods which alter competitive ability) should not be allowed on Mods Off servers. That’s the whole point of a Mods Off Mode. 

Edited by SharpeXB

33 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

When using the zoom view on a monitor the user may be looking at a 24” screen where even a 5x level only results in an approximately life sized view.

Well, That depends how close your head is the the screen.

37 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Zoom mods (or any mods which alter competitive ability) should not be allowed on Mods Off servers. That’s the whole point of a Mods Off Mode. 

agreed, however:

1) in-game VR zoom is only x2  vs. a desktop which is x5. Not allowing it in VR hinders the competitive ability of the VR users. All this mod does is leveling it.

2) the 3dmigoto mod isn't a 'mod' of the game files. It makes use of directx shaders which is part of the DirectX installation on every machine.

- it means a nonVR user can make use of the same tech to improve the zoom on the monitor

- it's not against the 'mod' policy of the 1CGS/777

14 minutes ago, Count_de_Money said:

1) in-game VR zoom is only x2  vs. a desktop which is x5. Not allowing it in VR hinders the competitive ability of the VR users. All this mod does is leveling it.

The 5x zoom level on a monitor doesn’t give the equivalent view of 2x life sized. 10x life sized in VR is definitely unequal. 

17 minutes ago, Count_de_Money said:

2) the 3dmigoto mod isn't a 'mod' of the game files. It makes use of directx shaders which is part of the DirectX installation on every machine.    

Ok so it’s a “cheat” not a mod. 🙄

Just now, SharpeXB said:

The 5x zoom level on a monitor doesn’t give the equivalent view of 2x life sized. 10x life sized in VR is definitely unequal. 

not sure what you mean by this.

simply put the x5 zoom enlarges the object by 5 times,  that's my understanding.  Are you hinting that there's a difference between object size zoom in VR and on Monitor?

And what is this "life size" aspect you mention?  Like a Field of View? 

In VR the FoV becomes narrower the further in you zoom in, so the target object gets enlarged and you're looking at it thru a tube-like spy-glass if you will.. i.e. the Fov is extremely small.

59 minutes ago, Count_de_Money said:

And what is this "life size" aspect you mention?  Like a Field of View? 

Yes it’s an FOV where the view through your monitor would give you a life sized 1:1 view of the 3D game. On a typical desktop sized screen that would mean being zoomed in almost fully. So the 5x zoom level is only about giving you that. 
A 5x zoom in VR is showing you a 5x view of objects that were already life sized. 
I think the assumption that 5x on a monitor = 2x in VR is about accurate. 

2 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Yes it’s an FOV where the view through your monitor would give you a life sized 1:1 view of the 3D game. On a typical desktop sized screen that would mean being zoomed in almost fully. So the 5x zoom level is only about giving you that. 
A 5x zoom in VR is showing you a 5x view of objects that were already life sized. 
I think the assumption that 5x on a monitor = 2x in VR is about accurate. 

you keep saying life sized, I still don't understand what you mean by that.  Like a world scale that your brain can interpret to be a real world?

One thing you need to keep in mind all this 'life sizeness' is represented on 1400x1600 screen (per eye). So, even though from the 'scale' perspective it's life size, the clarity of the object is still limited by those 1400x1600 pixels and the only way to discern any details is to zoom in on it, so it's expanded in to enough pixels for you to id whatever it is you're looking at.

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

how is it a cheat though?  The mod is not displaying anything that's not already being displayed in the game. Nor it masks anything, or deletes anything away... It literally just 'magnifies' the objects already being drawn in front of you.

1 hour ago, Count_de_Money said:

That’s assuming that all VR players use this mod. What about VR players competing against other VR players? The “mod” user is giving themselves an advantage. 
The whole definition of fairness is that everyone is using the same features. Yet you are altering your game files in a way that might not be used by all the other players. That’s kinda cheating don’t you think? It’s hard to consider anything view related a “cheat” though. A zoom view simply trades one advantage for another. Many games have an FOV setting and adjusting that isn’t considered a cheat. The game doesn’t limit anyone from using a giant 4K projector screen either.  But it would only be fair if this VR thing was an actual Mod so all players would know it’s being used. 

2 minutes ago, Count_de_Money said:

you keep saying life sized, I still don't understand what you mean by that. 

It’s self explanatory. Do you think a real cockpit is 22” wide?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, SharpeXB said:

That’s assuming that all VR players use this mod. What about VR players competing against other VR players? The “mod” user is giving themselves an advantage. 
The whole definition of fairness is that everyone is using the same features. Yet you are altering your game files in a way that might not be used by all the other players. That’s kinda cheating don’t you think? It’s hard to consider anything view related a “cheat” though. A zoom view simply trades one advantage for another. Many games have an FOV setting and adjusting that isn’t considered a cheat. The game doesn’t limit anyone from using a giant 4K projector screen either.  But it would only be fair if this VR thing was an actual Mod so all players would know it’s being used. 

I understand your sentiment, I do. However there's 2 things at play - the mod is advertised a 'must have' for any VR player on this forum and also in game, in MP, essentially whenever any new VR player complains about inability to ID anything all VR guys jump in and say "get a 3dmigoto" mod, i.e. it's not a secret and no one is trying to keep it so.

The mod itself is a leveler against the Monitor players. If anything, I'd suggest disabling the Zoom for everyone, including the monitor pilots. I'd be totally fine with that approach so we all fly equally blind. If must really first try VR in IL2 to understand the limitations you're dealing within that particular ecosystem then you could probably get a much better reference point where I'm coming from. Without the mod you're literally blind in VR and can't see anything beyond your wings. Couple it with an atrocious SDE (screen door effect), inconsistent frame rates (on top of the line gaming hardware), physical 1:1 movements without a comparable 'cheating' snap-to-6 IR capability for monitor, etc etc.. this mod is one thing we get that puts us on the leveled field with the monitor guys.

5 minutes ago, Count_de_Money said:

Without the mod you're literally blind in VR and can't see anything beyond your wings. Couple it with an atrocious SDE (screen door effect), inconsistent frame rates (on top of the line gaming hardware), physical 1:1 movements without a comparable 'cheating' snap-to-6 IR capability for monitor, etc etc..

Man, that makes me really not want to ever fly in VR. Is it really that bad?

18 minutes ago, Count_de_Money said:

you keep saying life sized, I still don't understand what you mean by that. 

Here’s an explanation. This is from racing sims where it’s more important since it affects your perception of speed. Really I don’t think every player sets this or if they do they’re using triple screens. Doing this on a single monitor is rather constraining  

Certainly flight sim players don’t set this to a fixed value, they vary it using the zoom view. But this explains why the zoom is necessary. 

9 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

Well apparently seeing everything at 2x it’s size isn’t good enough 😜

11 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

it's slowly getting better. Pimax has announced a 4K per eye headset that's going be released starting December, but probably more like Q1/Q2 of next year.  But that will put a huge strain on the computing system, and realistically speaking you won't be able to use all 100% of the headset capacity because of Il2 engine (single core dependence mainly). It means there'll have to be plenty of tradeoffs, i.e. not rendering the scene at 4k per eye and instead drive it at 2k per eye, running on balanced, stripping down all cool bells and whistles.. etc..

However, there's one thing that VR brings to the table and that's really the ONLY thing that every person who flies VR loves. You're inside the plane. No longer you're outside of it. It feeds that inner child of yours with the ability to finally fly a plane, regardless how it currently looks. Just that was enough for me to never play this game on the monitor ever again.

There is no such thing as a 'life-sized' zoom/FOV on a 2d screen.

The size of the image on your retina is dependent on 3 factors:

• The game's FOV / zoom level
  • The Screen Size
  • The distance from your screen to your eye.

In VR the size of an object on the retina depends only on Zoom/FOV level.

If you want to compare VR zoom to 2D Zoom you must include include all factors in how you make the comparison.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Here’s an explanation. This is from racing sims where it’s more important since it affects your perception of speed. Really I don’t think every player sets this or if they do they’re using triple screens. Doing this on a single monitor is rather constraining  

Certainly flight sim players don’t set this to a fixed value, they vary it using the zoom view. But this explains why the zoom is necessary.

Ok, so if modifying the FoV from the original aspect ratios of 16:9 or 3:4 you're introducing more drawn scenery on the monitor you can't do that in VR that easily, at least not on the fly like that. There's some barrel correction methods to adjust the picture position and skew angles due to the lens optical distortions, which you can modify programmatically but not in game.

Are you saying that if you have increased the FoV from the original 70 degrees (or what's the number on the monitor) to let's say 90 degrees the zoom now is impacted because it zooms on more pixels, hence the object is magnified on smaller scale?

Do you know that VR's FoV on the current hardware is between 110 degree and 135 (index) up to 150/200 on Pimax?  That's even more pixels in the scene, hence the zoom is a lot less effective than on the monitor...

18 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

This nonsense clearly proves you have never even tried VR. Therefore your contribution to this discussion is nihil.

1 hour ago, Nibbio said:

This nonsense clearly proves you have never even tried VR. Therefore your contribution to this discussion is nihil.

Honestly I don’t think adjusting your FOV is a “cheat”. You’re just trading off one advantage for another. Many games let you do this without too much restriction. 
What is sorta odd is that with a mod you’re altering your game files in a way that isn’t readily available or maybe unknown to other players. I don’t think players universally use mods in any game. 
But really you’re handicapping one ability in favor of another so the zoom feature is self limiting. In VR or 2D. 

And yes I have used VR (professionally) but not in gaming. So I’m well aware of what it’s like. There’s no comparison between seeing something on a small 2D screen vs “being there” in VR. So trying to compare the zoom levels doesn’t make sense. 

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 9:14 PM, RedKestrel said:

This is literally opposite to my experience personally

• Like 1

There are two things at play when you’re IDing, I think:

- apparent size of aircraft ( in degrees measured from your eye). In VR this is fixed. On a monitor it depends on monitor size and how far away you are away from the screen (and how much you’re leaning in to squint at it!). And also on FOV setting if this is something you can adjust. 

- amount of information available (in pixels across the object). This depends on resolution, which is currently the limiting factor in VR. 

Zooming with either technology will increase both the apparent size and the number of pixels in the object. Increasing the apparent size is nice, but beyond a certain point it won’t help much unless (like me) you have poor eyesight to begin with. Increasing the number of pixels in the object is what really makes IDing easier when you zoom in, as you can start to see differences in wing shape, colouring etc. at a greater distance. Current VR is pretty limited on resolution. If the VR zoom is then limited to 2x instead of the 5x that monitors get then you compound the disadvantage much further. 

It is basically impossible to make things really ‘fair’ in a competitive sense if everyone is using different hardware. However, one thing that could be done to help is to set a maximum number of pixels across an object that would be fixed for everyone and set based on the typical resolving power of a pilot’s eyeball. You could then allow everybody to zoom in as much as they like, but beyond a certain zoom level the object would become more blurred or pixelated. This way you could zoom further to make it look bigger (eg if your eyesight is poor) but could not get more info on the contact by doing so. This would be good from a sim point of view as well as a competitive one, as it would limit your abilities to a realistic level.

...I can see this being unpopular with people who have splashed out on a fancy 4K monitor purely to increase their competitive edge though!

Re 3DMigoto, I have only recently discovered it and have only played SP so far. 5x is a huge help and means I can ID aircraft before they are actively making a pass at me! 10x is not particularly useful for IDing as the view gets a bit too wobbly on distant objects (a bit like looking through high zoom binoculars without steadying your arms on something). It is quite nice for getting a good look at your wingman’s aircraft while flying in formation with them though. 

(edit - punctuation)

... and to really up the realism the virtual pilot’s resolving power could be dependent on the wavelength and the dilation of their pupil!

Edited by Seapiglet
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

And yes I have used VR (professionally) but not in gaming. So I’m well aware of what it’s like. There’s no comparison between seeing something on a small 2D screen vs “being there” in VR. So trying to compare the zoom levels doesn’t make sense. 

What makes you think you can speak about something you clearly don't know? Please try VR in this game, then you will realize how far from the truth your statements are.

Zoom levels are in fact comparable, and the VR zoom level that closely approximates 2D zoom is 5x 3dmigoto zoom.  The VR zoom provided by the game is 2x, so not even close. This is the general consensus of all players who actually know what they are talking about.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nibbio said:

What makes you think you can speak about something you clearly don't know? Please try VR in this game, then you will realize how far from the truth your statements are.

Zoom levels are in fact comparable, and the VR zoom level that closely approximates 2D zoom is 5x 3dmigoto zoom.  The VR zoom provided by the game is 2x, so not even close. This is the general consensus of all players who actually know what they are talking about.

My experience is with the CV1 using it in architectural design. It’s resolution and SDE are really bad. It’s fine for what we use it for but I can’t imagine flight sim gaming to be a good experience with that resolution. I know there are better headsets. IMO It’s not worth the time and effort to me to try it in gaming and then be disappointed. Plus although IL-2 GB by most accounts performs well enough, other sims do not. And in the future this may get worse for VR and not better. 

If you follow what I had posted above I honestly don’t care what zoom levels people like to use. It’s just trading one advantage for another. 

4 hours ago, Seapiglet said:

..I can see this being unpopular with people who have splashed out on a fancy 4K monitor purely to increase their competitive edge though!

Not at all. Again it doesn’t bother me what zoom level anyone wants to use. In 4K you still need it as well but not as much. For example you can read all the cockpit dials without using zoom. 

I see from this discussion that there will never be a "fair" solution due to very different hardware. When VR-useres state, they have a real life view as per default, where does this come from? I have all my snapview.lua`s altered to have a default fov as close as possible to real-life for my monitor setting. Its very comfortable for flying stuff, but I have never ever a chance to id a threat beyond 4 km without zooming!

Its the first line in the lua-file, the last entry is the fov:

cvc = -0.000, 0.000,                0.155, -0.181, 0.000,                -0.650;

My understanding is, that in VR there is still a screen-ratio and a fov that can be set as above. So I wonder where this "realife-default-fov comes from. Curious, because my next investement is a VR-set.

Edited by cellinsky

CV1 wasn't bad at all in this game. Tried it first in 2017 and never looked back. Moved to a Rift S in June 2019 and the experience is vastly improved.

I think anyone still on the fence is definitely missing out.

Edited by Nibbio

2 hours ago, cellinsky said:

I have all my snapview.lua`s altered to have a default fov as close as possible to real-life for my monitor setting. Its very comfortable for flying stuff, but I have never ever a chance to id a threat beyond 4 km without zooming!

Because although you might have a 1:1 FOV set your screen resolution is far below what human eyesight is. Even 4K is way too low. So that’s the other reason you need a zoom view. Both in VR and on a monitor. If headsets evolve to the point where they can replicate 20/20 vision, a zoom view should no longer be necessary in VR

On 11/23/2019 at 4:51 PM, SharpeXB said:

Honestly I don’t think adjusting your FOV is a “cheat”. You’re just trading off one advantage for another. Many games let you do this without too much restriction. 
What is sorta odd is that with a mod you’re altering your game files in a way that isn’t readily available or maybe unknown to other players. I don’t think players universally use mods in any game. 
But really you’re handicapping one ability in favor of another so the zoom feature is self limiting. In VR or 2D. 

Sorry but your experience with il2 in VR is 0, so you have no idea what's it's like nor your statements carry any weight.

Try it and report back, no dissrespect!

I started on 1080p monitor, switched to 27" 2k monitor using tir5, bought rift cv1 and few months ago upgraded to rift s (i don't use any mods).

There is a huuuuge advantage flying on monitor and using tir.

Spotting, SA and ID is much easier on monitor, add tir to it and you have entry level weapon(VR) vs God mode(monitor+tir).

Only thing where VR have benefits is gunnery!

I tried to get back to monitor+tir when in MP but can't immersion wise.

I get killed a lot more in VR, many times i dive blind not knowing is friendly or enemy bellow me to check on him and drain my E.

Many times i missed 100% guranteed chance to shot unaware enemy simply cos i had to flyby or get out of his blind spot to ID it.

Again, VR in MP is in huge disadvantage vs monitor+tir users but nothing can beat VR immersion.

Yes, VR needs 10xzoom, even then it will still be in slight disadvatage!

Edited by EAF_Ribbon
  • Upvote 3