[_FLAPS_]Grim

Flying Circus worth it? Rise of Flight dead? What, where and how?

Hi guys,

Im a little lost.

RoF Servers seem empty, FC too but at least the planes are shiny. :)

Is it worth to get FC now? Which servers are populated (or when are they populated)? Are there any FC dedicated servers?

Which Entete and Central birds can you recommend? So I have a place to start.

thx in advance :)

13 minutes ago, Grim said:

Hi guys,

Im a little lost.

Is it worth to get FC now? Which servers are populated (or when are they populated)? Are there any FC dedicated servers?

The business model for FC is different. You buy the game, you get all planes. So not much doubt there.

The game does not have a dedicated WW1 map yet, we fly over WW2 grounds, which is weird. The sky seems pretty much correct ;) Published planes are perfectly flyable, fligh models may have some problems still, graphics are great, effects are great.

There are a few WW1 servers, such as Jasta 5's or Old Geezers' which sometimes have a few people, it's clearly warming up.

As for is it worth it, I bought the preview, so you know my answer. See you out there!

Hi thank you for your answer!

I did express myself unclear. I didnt mean which plane to buy, but rather which to learn first. :)

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Grim said:

I did express myself unclear. I didnt mean which plane to buy, but rather which to learn first. :)

You can find excellent tutorials for all the planes on @SYN_Requiem‘s channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/RequiemBoS

As for which bird you should fly, that is highly subjective. Here’s one take on it, specifically aimed at multiplayer:

25 minutes ago, Grim said:

Probably the Albatross D.Va if you are just staring out - its a good all rounder, easy to fly, not much engine management, well armed and very forgiving. Is also pretty good at turn-n-burn dogfighting which is what most new players tend to default to when they start out..

Getting the map should make all the difference.

I'd 2nd the Alby advice. I did Ok in it last night, seemed to compete fairly well against some Camels and SE5's.

If you're looking for some RoF action when it's dead, the OBN servers have some maps which are great fun for the lone player, especially if you like a rampage in a Bristol.

S!

Posted (edited)

Yes, yes, choose the alby!

Dacka dacka dacka

( SE5a pilot )

Edited by SP1969
Apparently, I'm too depressed to be able to spell.

5 hours ago, Grim said:

Which Entete and Central birds can you recommend?

SPAD

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I have to put the disclaimer in here that my experience with Albatros comes from RoF, not FC, but here are my thoughts.

In RoF, Albatros was a midrange fighter, especially after the 2014 patch.  It was very well matched against Nieuports and Sopwith Pups/Triplanes and if used correctly and with discipline and patience, could take on Camels...it could outclimb them and outrun them, meaning if your surprise bounce failed, you could disengage.   Even in RoF, it was not a serious threat to properly flown SE-5 or Spads. A Spad or SE could dominate them all day long, but fortunately, not every plane you encountered was a Spad or SE.  In RoF, it could be a Jack-of-all trades fighter where a new guy could learn how to conduct an angles fight when he was facing a less manuevable opponent, and also learn energy fights when he was facing a more manueverable, but slower opponent. 

In Flying Circus though, from descriptions here, the Albatros appears to have no special attributes that can make it a good proposition against anything in the 1918 time frame.  A game like this can be frustrating to a new guy, and the will to carry on with a game is fed by figuring out the tactics that will bring success, and seeing that success grow.   It doesn't sound to me that there is anything "Easy" about the Albatros...you're flying the most disadvantaged plane in the game, and to make hay with it, you'd better be damned good and really know what you're doing.  I would choose the 7F or a Spad or SE-5 to start out with:  A new guy needs some success to keep him going, not the frustration of getting pwned by every other plane in the sky.

(yeah, yeah, its the pilot, not the plane, so I hear.....often said by the pilot of the better plane 😀)

Edited by SeaSerpent
  • Upvote 4

Posted (edited)

IMO, Flying Circus isn’t really worth it. Yes, graphics are better, VR, parachutes, updated pilot models, but that’s pretty much it. Even though there’s a pilot career in both Rise of Flight and IL-2 GBs (WW2), there isn’t one planned for Flying Circus for, who knows. Also, FC cost $80. To me that’s just stupid as there’s no NEW planes in FC, not even 1. I mean $80 for just a game that’s MARGINALLY better is ridiculous. [edited]

In Rise of Flight you can fly 40 planes like the Gotha, Sikorsky S-22, Handley Page, Fokker E.III, Airco DH.2, Roland C.IIa, Nieuport 17, Felixstowe F.2A, ALL the FC1 aircraft, etc. over several maps such as Channel map, Eastern front, and Western front from Arras to Verdun. 

Personally, I would get Rise of Flight because it comes with 3 FREE planes: Albatross D.Va, Nieuport 17, and Spad 13. The maps are free except for the Channel. DLCs are pretty good. My favourite is the Channel battles, costs $29 and you get the channel map and several great planes. If you bought all the FC1 aircraft on Steam (Channel battles and Battle of St. Mihiel) that would cost you $50.

The graphics in Rise of Flight may be SLIGHTLY dated, not have VR, but I can live with that.

Fact is that Rise of Flight was made by the devs who are currently making IL-2 GBs and I feel that they should have left RoF dead, or try to find a way to update the game itself. NO FLYING CIRCUS.

Thank you.

Edited by SYN_Haashashin
Complaining is Ok but watch those accusations
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

It might be a good idea to just deal with the initial pain and just learn to fly the Camel.  It’s going to pwn every other plane in this game.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SeaSerpent said:

I would choose the 7F or a Spad or SE-5 to start out with

I agree with SeaSerpent. Though I would lean towards the D.7 more than the Spad or Se5. The 7 is very forgiving and an excellent fighter. The Spad and Se5 are more for Boom and Zoom and that's usually a hard thing for new players to grasp and get good at right away.

3 minutes ago, Novice-Flyer said:

I mean $80 for just a game that’s MARGINALLY better is ridiculous

It's only $80 right now since it's in Early Access, giving you the planes as soon as they're complete. The price will most likely mirror the other modules of the BoX series. So around $40 to $50

I guess on the plus side of Albatros-as-trainer, the pilot will have the opportunity to get very good at defensive tactics, because that is what I imagine it will spend most of its time doing.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SeaSerpent said:

I guess on the plus side of Albatros-as-trainer, the pilot will have the opportunity to get very good at defensive tactics, because that is what I imagine it will spend most of its time doing.

To be fair, an Albatros can quite easily out turn an SE, or a SPAD in a furball.

It absorbs a LOT of bullets if the radiator doesn't get hit.

It is a good all rounder.

The B&Z aeroplanes do one thing, well.

The turn fighters another.

An Albatros does most things well enough to survive.

As FC stands, it is mostly low level furballs and an Albatros is quite capable of doing those.

The Camel and the DR1 rule dogfights at low level.

The DVIIF outspeeds a Camel and out turns and SE or SPAD - and if HG is used can stop them getting away.

Unless one gets a pilot kill or knocks out an engine in the first couple of bursts, a well flown Albatros is quite difficult to bring down, assuming a certain level of competency.

A pair of Albatri is deadly.

It doesn't fall out the sky or try and kill the pilot like a Camel - always a plus.

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, SP1969 said:

To be fair, an Albatros can quite easily out turn an SE, or a SPAD in a furball.

It absorbs a LOT of bullets if the radiator doesn't get hit.

It is a good all rounder.

The B&Z aeroplanes do one thing, well.

The turn fighters another.

An Albatros does most things well enough to survive.

As FC stands, it is mostly low level furballs and an Albatros is quite capable of doing those.

The Camel and the DR1 rule dogfights at low level.

The DVIIF outspeeds a Camel and out turns and SE or SPAD - and if HG is used can stop them getting away.

Unless one gets a pilot kill or knocks out an engine in the first couple of bursts, a well flown Albatros is quite difficult to bring down, assuming a certain level of competency.

A pair of Albatri is deadly.

It doesn't fall out the sky or try and kill the pilot like a Camel - always a plus.

If the pilot of the SE-5 or Spad is getting into a furball, he is either a completely inexperienced newb, or a really skill-less "veteran."   Once the SE-5 and Spad pilot figures out not to use these planes in a "furball"/manuevering battle (it is like rule #1 of these planes) Albatroses are target practice.  My recommendations for airplanes are based on starting a new pilot out on something that will  be forgiving of mistakes and poor tactical judgement, and allow them the maximum opportunity to succeed, or else to bravely retreat if they get into trouble.  if you're in an Albatros, and you make a mistake, you're dead.  But the Albatros is easy to fly you say?  It will very quickly become hard to fly when it's on fire, or it's wings are shot off. 

I guess there is something to be said about jumping head first into the deep and of the pool, and picking the worst plane in the game to start out with...You quickly learn the advantages of your opponents and a thousand ways to die, and it definitely can succeed in teaching you to choose your battles very carefully.  So if the School of Hard Knocks is the preferred learning style, then sure, take the Albatros.  A new guy is likely to start out as a flying disaster even in a 7F, but in the Albatros, I do wonder what good options are available to him, even once he masters the aircraft.  I mastered the Albatros *entirely* in RoF, but it gave me a lump in my throat taking it out on some of the later-war maps, especially when I knew some of the better Spad/Se-5 or Camel pilots were on the prowl.  If I were in FC, it sounds like the Albatros's predicament is even more dire because of FM changes to it and it's opponents, and I honestly don't think I would be flying the Albatros.

Edited by SeaSerpent
  • Upvote 1

Quite the point - in FC all you have is low level MP furballs.

The sort of mission based engagements that the real aeroplanes flew do not exist.

For the SE driver, there are no high flying DH4s to protect, no stragglers to pick off, no DFWs to interrupt in their mission.

So one can float above the 100ft furball dogfight in an SE or a Spad and watch, or go into engagements where you cannot use the advantages of the aeroplane. 

In this highly artificial environment, the Albatros makes as much sense as any other, except maybe the DVIIF, in my opinion.

When the Bristol gets here, we know very well that all you'll have to do is fly low and blast everything else out the sky.

It is one of the reasons why I am finding FC quite frustrating at this time and why the lack of any PWCG type campaign in SP is such a glaring fault in the way FC has been marketed.

Just now, SP1969 said:

Well that suck, and I hope that once the map is out, and some scenario builders step into the fray and get busy, I hope it changes into something more than a furball game

I'm hoping so, otherwise it is not going to hold my attention for much longer.

I can be a bit grumpy about all this.

The trouble is RoF has been largely ruined for me by the FC visual effects - it looks horribly dated to me now, even with dozens of mods, but FC isn't a WW1 sim in the way RoF was / is.

Also, the SE5a's wings stay on and the engine isn't glass, but the pitch up is ridiculous - for a B&Z aeroplane you need to be able to aim accurately in a dive, which is nigh on impossible when the nose keeps lifting.

Granted, I'm a terrible shot, but without curves ( or rigging in RL terms ) it spoils what was always the 'honey ship' of team cockade.

• Upvote 1

Stay calm everyone. FC isn't completed yet. It is a work in progress.  :coffee:

• Haha 1

Hi all FC pilots,

I bought all modules except FC ... was planning to though until I read all this !?

It seems the same problem I experience in the DCS WWII map vs the more modern content ... things feel out of place in the DCS world.

Seems the same here ... all WWII era map end vehicle, trains ... content and then the WWI era stuff ?

How does IL-2 FC deal with this problem ... I sure hope better than in DCS WWII were I get killed  in my mustang by F18, harriers and F14 ... not that true-to-life (except in a James Bond movie maybe) :-)

Please, what is your experience and view on this ? 

Thanks and kind regards ,

Stefaan

Posted (edited)

That's an easy one.  Properly set up mulitplayer servers are not going to be having Hornets fighting Mustangs, or Focke-Wulfs fighting Spads.  Doesn't matter what game you're playing.  No serious Flying Circus multiplayer server is going to mix planes like that.  It isn't and won't be an issue, and if some dummy sets his missions up where that is happening, just don't play on that server.  Don't worry about it. 

Edited by SeaSerpent
typo

The map and the related things (flaks, balloons etc.) will definitely come with time. Until then it is still worth giving FC a chance. There are, I think, still weekend events where you can play the planes against others. And it's a lot of fun now and has a small fan community. I guess there will be a even more when the map comes with all the stuff that comes with it.

• Upvote 1

I bought the EA of FC Vol .I  and never regret it best expansion so far (for me at least)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SP1969 said:

[...]

When the Bristol gets here, we know very well that all you'll have to do is fly low and blast everything else out the sky.

The Jasta 5 server has airstarts at over 1000m, which leads to fights often starting at 2000m and above. They often spiral down to the deck nonetheless, which is especially advantageous to Camels.

As for flying the Bristol at low altitude, I heartily recommend it! — your friendly neighbourhood Halberstadt

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Grim said:

Hi guys,

Im a little lost.

If you like multiplayer and you have the money to spare, this is the time to jump in. We gather on Fridays and Sundays around 19:00GMT. There is no fixed server yet other than Flying Circus Flugpark, who has been a staple, always there since it came in. You can check at https://il2.flying-barans.ru/ to see if there is anyone flying at Flying Circus Flugpark. Or you have to start the game and check if there are people flying in any other WWI sever (usually marked as Flying Circus something). There are some people on discord that get notifications to where people will be flying, but since I don't have it, I can't give any pointers about it. There are some posts here in the forum announcing where people are going to gather, and so on. Saturday we got a good crowd for about a couple hours at Flying Circus Flugpark. The barans site makes these things possible, and several folks login when they see people flying there.

Right now we only have furballs and we gather from 12 to 20+ players depending on the day or server. It is best suited for who likes to fly and master these planes rather than to have some role play with them (but you can work with squadrons, which is a role-play in itself as leaders, wingmen, tactics, etc). The map (perhaps this year?) will bring some missions, but you have to be patient and wait for them. Pat Wilson said that he will be working on campaigns later on.

Regarding planes, for a beginner, my opinion is that you have turnfighting planes and boom and zoom planes (the D7F can do both if you are experienced). If you like to have knife fights in phone booths, get the Camel and Dr1 and get used to them. Might take a while, especially with the Dr1, but they are very fun to fly. If you like to hunt and be clean about it, get all the other entente planes or the D7s. I like the Dolphin (needs experience), the Se5a coming in second (easy plane to start and very dangerous if you get to know how to fly her, especially in squadrons). I can't stand the Spad, but it is just me. There are great Spad pilots and squadrons out there. And there is the D7F, that can do both if you get some mileage with them. Very easy to fly, forgiving and maneuverable enough to take on the Camel if you know what you are doing and keep your altitude and momentum. The only note is that she was rare in the war and just some top level squadron pilots got to fly with her, so when we get a map, she will not be so available as it is now in furball missions. The D7 (non F version) is a tough proposition (veteran plane), but I rather take a D7 than an Albatros in my opinion in FC.

I would not favor the Albatros or the Pfalz. These are workhorses and they require discipline and teamwork. You can try to see if you like them, but you are going to get  shot a lot and get bogged down at low level being shot at will.

Regarding ROF and Flying Circus, the FC damage model is superior, as it was mentioned here. No more folding wings and the planes don't start to shake after a few hits. You can get into a couple of scraps, be riddled with bullets in Flying Circus (if nothing on the engine or pilot) and still be able to fly and fight normally, the same way they did back then and got back to the airfield with dozen of bullet holes in their fuselage. That's a deal breaker right there. I simply cannot go back to ROF because of this. I can have some fun with it (sometimes I go to the ROF servers), but it is not the same anymore. And the graphics here are better, the sky looks better (no crystal snow ball effect) and we have some perks that we don't in ROF, like VR.

To me it is worthy. You just need to have some patience and focus on the planes. If you are passionate about them and you like to take them for a ride, you don’t need another reason to buy it.

And Bender is right. Flying Circus Flugpark (Jasta 5) has airstarts and it is common to have fights that can get past 3000m.

• Upvote 3

Just now, J2_Bidu said:

Thanks for the IL2 server link @SeaW0lf  , didn't know that one!

It is from the same Vaal's app that we use in ROF.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Thursday nights around 0100 gmt has a good crowd on RoF. Also Saturdays for Flanders in Flames and Sundays for vintage missions on Cuban's Server.

Edited by US103_Talbot

Hi again,

thank you for all your input!
I guess I will give FC some time. Im a mission oriented player, furballs only wont cut it for me now.
Its a shame that RoF seems dead, I didnt find a single server yesterday evening GMT.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Grim said:

Its a shame that RoF seems dead, I didnt find a single server yesterday evening GMT.

There is a lack of players, but there is also a lack of trust. If people expected more people to be there, there might be enough people. But they don't, so don't even bother trying to connect. Etc. Even on Sunday Vintage Missions, where I'm usually one of the first to join, I see quite a few people connect while there's not much people, then disconnect, a lot of people do that.

Edited by J2_Bidu
Spell check
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Grim said:

Should there be any empty servers? Maybe a did something wrong?

Well, if you have mods on then only those (very few if any) servers that allow mods will show up. Normally you'll see a list of servers, mostly empty, with peaks of activity in specific periods.

• Thanks 1

Ah I see, I dont have any mods, but I think I saw it activated by default. Thank you. 

10 hours ago, US103_Talbot said:

Thursday nights around 1700 gmt has a good crowd on RoF.

Thursdays 9pm US ET is certainly NOT 1700gmt!

Its more like 0100 GMT, which explains Larner's hungover state and tea drinking.

But as Talbot says, Thursday evenings US time, are good on RoF, along with Sunday afternoon US time.

If you're not seeing any servers, is likely because you are running mods on

• Thanks 1

On 7/9/2019 at 10:55 AM, US103_Baer said:

Thursdays 9pm US ET is certainly NOT 1700gmt!

Its more like 0100 GMT, which explains Larner's hungover state and tea drinking.

It also explains why I'm not there. I'm still waiting for continental drift to solve this.

• Haha 5

On a sidenote, I decided to reinstall ROF yesterday and I am still amazed at how beautiful the GUI is (and I shiver at the thought of FC sharing the current interface  which I find absolutely tasteless, in comparison). I'm only interested in SP, but I'm afraid that I'm remebering a better core game than what it actually was. Given that FC won't offer much more in this sense, I still feel doubtful about buying it at full price...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Picchio said:

On a sidenote, I decided to reinstall ROF yesterday and I am still amazed at how beautiful the GUI is (and I shiver at the thought of FC sharing the current interface  which I find absolutely tasteless, in comparison). I'm only interested in SP, but I'm afraid that I'm remebering a better core game than what it actually was. Given that FC won't offer much more in this sense, I still feel doubtful about buying it at full price...

I did the same; I reinstalled ROF after taking off my hard drive once FC dropped on the understanding that one was being replaced by the other.

I’m now feeling shame for not playing this great game for last number of months. 

I’m looking forward to what they do with FC, but for a direct replacement, there is a little NC way to go, and doubtful if we’ll ever get there.

34 minutes ago, Grim said:

I flew a bit online yesterday. Even found another player. ^^

Join us Sunday at 18:00 GMT for the Vintage Mission on Cuban / SteveF Syndicate Server. Last week there was a peak of 16 players. Sometimes there's an early start with few people at 17:00 GMT.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1