Jump to content
peker

How is the price of a simulator (IL2) determined?

Recommended Posts

 

am curios to know how the compny  set the price for such a product called "simulator"  (IL2 sturmovik) 
Another thing is why the pricing is   .99

 

I will thank those who will enlighten me  especially if he belongs to the developer team and price setters

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is absolutely no chance that the developers are going to discuss how they set their prices. Companies making consumer products don't do that. They offer something at a price, you buy it, or you don't. In general terms, they are presumably trying to maximise their return on investment, but how they arrive at a specific figure will depend on data they aren't going to disclose, and on assumptions they make regarding the best strategy.

 

As for why things are priced at X.99, it is common practice, since it is widely believed that some customers at least perceive '9.99' as being significantly less than '10.00'. How effective this is, given that it is so common, and so obvious, I don't know.

Edited by AndyJWest
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Most non-indie games are priced at $59.99 right now, it has become sort of a market standard.
  • A regular BoX module is $49.99 when fully priced, and the premium (2 more collectors planes on top of the regular module) is $79.99. How they reached these two points is dificult to determine, but I'm willing to bet that the standard $59.99 reference point has a lot to do with it. Price  the basic module a bit under it and the premium above it while still making sense as a bundle instead of buying them separately.
  • Collectors planes are $19.99 each (when not on sale), so by buying premium you save yourself  about $10 compared to buying the collectors planes separatly.

This is just my analysis but I honestly don't think there is a lot more to it. They have some sales number forecasts that show what's their breakeven point and they hope to sell AT LEAST that many copies, and hopefully many more. They also have to keep their expenses reasonably within their budget for these numbers to make sense, that's why they can't hire a million programmers, 3D modellers, and historians to do all the Pacific work at once, let alone all the difficulties of hiring someone in Russia to work with the rest of the team which can narrow the candidate pool significantly.

Edited by Jade_Monkey
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hello there

 

There's no definitive norm for projects of this type as it's so unique.

 

It's also highly likely *we* wont be given access to that kind of info even if it did exist. The posters above have given good general explanations.

 

Its not the cheapest of games nor the most expensive.

 

Lastly, dont be irritated if this thread is closed, its not normal for dev to allow this kind of thread to continue as they can often get toxic pretty fast :)

 

Rgds

 

LoK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All that really matters is that it's totally worth it! (IMO 😁)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw a job posting for 1C Studios “Price Setter” but decided not to apply as I’m busy enough building campaigns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jade_Monkey said:
 

This is just my analysis but I honestly don't think there is a lot more to it. They have some sales number forecasts that show what's their breakeven point and they hope to sell AT LEAST that many copies, and hopefully many more. They also have to keep their expenses reasonably within their budget for these numbers to make sense, that's why they can't hire a million programmers, 3D modellers, and historians to do all the Pacific work at once, let alone all the difficulties of hiring someone in Russia to work with the rest of the team which can narrow the candidate pool significantly.

Pacific work? Is the Pacific Theater being worked on? I have only read that this won’t happen because of a lack of FM details and other aircraft-specific information needed for development. Do you have new information?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, DragonDaddy said:

Pacific work? Is the Pacific Theater being worked on? I have only read that this won’t happen because of a lack of FM details and other aircraft-specific information needed for development. Do you have new information?

That is definitely NOT what was said. Pacific, at last mention, was delayed - not canceled. Specifically for both original Japanese documents, where available, as well as a paid professional interpretation of those documents.That is why Bodenplatte was implemented; to keep the series rolling/player interest and maintain a steady income stream while continuing development on future releases. Until there is something definitive from the DEV’s otherwise, those future releases include PTO.

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

As for why things are priced at X.99, it is common practice, since it is widely believed that some customers at least perceive '9.99' as being significantly less than '10.00'. How effective this is, given that it is so common, and so obvious, I don't know.

 

I'm almost ashamed to tell this story, but I spent most of my adult life working in the grocery retail business in varying positions. While I wasn't directly responsible for setting sale prices but I saw how effective price point could be. While not as common today as maybe 10 years ago, it was all the rage to have 10/$10 ads on items. Whether it was intentional or simply an oversight, one of our ad writers ran an everyday item normally priced at 99c as a 10/$10 item. We sold a ton of them. So yes, at least in the short term, price point is very important to shoppers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The same as any other product.  They know about how much they spend.  They have an idea what it will take to recoup.  They have an idea of what the market in general charges.  They have an idea of what their specific genre charges.  Mash it together and derive a price point that will turn a profit - then hope your sales predictions are not optimistic.

 

Going forward, once you see sales slowing on older products, cut prices to bring in new clients.  Since it's a download there are no infrastructure costs and any sales are mostly pure additional net revenue.  Not only do you sell the old product with no overhead but hopefully the newcomers stick and buy new ones as well.  

 

If the business is successful, staff up and use some of the profit make more product.  Do not overextend otherwise you risk going out of business.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My argument remains the same today as it was yesterday: it's a premium price for a premium game.

 

Seems fair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...