PatrickAWlson

Flight Path in Game Briefing Map

What is it exactly that causes the game to show the flight path on the briefing map?  Waypoints?  Icons?  What happens if there is more than one human flight with waypoints and icons?

I think the mini-map works well, at least the icons.  By that time the player is in a plane and therefore the route for that flight is known.  I'm not sure if the game is equipped to properly show a route to players in a coop scenario when there are multiple human crewed flights.

Icons - I’ll send you a group later if you want.

I  have that all set for single player or coop with one human flight.

That leads to the next question: coop with many human flights.  I am making a set of icons for each human flight.  Looks like the game scratches its head and displays none of them (not an invalid response IMHO).  Is that expected behavior?

You probably already know this but I believe there is a field for setting up the side (German, VVS or Neutral)  for the WP icons, no? Maybe they are set as neutral?

18 minutes ago, SCG_Riksen said:

You probably already know this but I believe there is a field for setting up the side (German, VVS or Neutral)  for the WP icons, no? Maybe they are set as neutral?

I don't think so  but I will confirm.  Even so it does not resolve the problem.  I have 6 human flights going, three for each side.  How does the game know which flight path to display on the briefing map?

13 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

I don't think so  but I will confirm.  Even so it does not resolve the problem.  I have 6 human flights going, three for each side.  How does the game know which flight path to display on the briefing map?

True. Sorry Pat, cannot help you there ... :(

24 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Are you confusing waypoint trigger icons with icon translators? You can set icon translators along the route and target link them together like waypoint triggers. You then set the coalition for each icon translator to determine which side sees that route. For details, see "Icon Translator" on pg. 255 of the editor manual.

Also, you can object-link waypoints to a player plane, which shows the yellow teardrop symbol in the air and on the map for the next point on the route. For details, see "Help Pilots Fly a Route" on pg. 60 of the editor manual.

@JimTM  Everything in the mission is as you state.

The scenario.  A coop mission.  I have 3 distinct human flights all on the same side.  Each flight has its own icon set.  When the mission is in progress each flight sees only its icons - that works.

The problem: Before starting the coop mission, when the briefing map is displayed, no flight path is shown.  The flight path is tied to the icons.  There are 3 different sets of icons.  How is the game supposed to determine which set of icons it should display? 

At the moment it appears to choose not to display any, which is actually much better than displaying every set.  

It's not an earth shattering, game ruining problem.  Just wondering if I can do it better.  

Appreciate the responses.  

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

@JimTM  Everything in the mission is as you state.

The scenario.  A coop mission.  I have 3 distinct human flights all on the same side.  Each flight has its own icon set.  When the mission is in progress each flight sees only its icons - that works.

I'm not sure which "icons" you refer to here (waypoint or icon translator). By "sees only its icons" do you mean sees the yellow symbol representing the waypoint?

The problem: Before starting the coop mission, when the briefing map is displayed, no flight path is shown.  The flight path is tied to the icons.  There are 3 different sets of icons.  How is the game supposed to determine which set of icons it should display? 

For what it's worth, here is a test mission with two flights (Red and Blue). It's a co-op for one player only (Red Lead) to demo routes. Both routes are shown in the briefing by target-linked icon translators. However, the Red route is bold and the Blue route is faded and has no labels. You have to mouse over a waypoint on the Blue route to see the route as bold and see the labels.

JimTM - Test Coop Route.zip

At the moment it appears to choose not to display any, which is actually much better than displaying every set.  

Edited by JimTM

11 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

I understand what you are asking.

As far as I can tell, you can have 1 map path displayed per coalition. The program will choose which one to display based on your side. As you probably know, you can select neutral, allies or axis and they are not linked to any planes or objects so display independently from the navigation icons in game.

it would appear you can only have 1 set of path markers per side, so currently 3 sets.

They would need to be true, false, false... false, true, false... or false, false, true.

it looks like each side will need to have a generic mission map path to me.

I guess it would be nice if you could object link the icon translators to specific planes, and then only those planes can see the icons.

SCG_Riksen was nice enough to get Jason's attention and ask.  Not going to happen immediately but we'll see.